When you learned English did you learn British English or American English?

When you learned English did you learn British English or American English?

All the teachers in Swedish schools always did this forced posh british accent and whenver you spoke with american pronounciation and slang they'd lower your grade for presentations.
fuck em all

>not natively knowin

I taught it at a very young age.
t. American

which accent do foreigners learn if it's british english? I think some foreigner speaking the Queens english would be hilarious.

indian

American English through video games primarily

TV English

British. It's absolutely useless tho because the internet speaks american one

You speak properly though

American in school and television (Friends, Will and Grace)

t. vietfag

Hiberno English.

Good, stop raping my language.

New Zea-lander english

t. italian living in the US

american
some learn the british accent instead. it all depends if you go study at the Anglo Institute or the American Cultural Center (i went to the latter)

I doubt it. My vocabulary is a mix of everything because I don't have absolutely no language pressure on me.

porcoddio de Oxford english

Our schools teach British English.
But any dialect is fine as long as you use it consistently.

But all the American media turns it into American.

British at school, American after

British English. Every English teacher I’ve had teached in the british way, with british vocabulary and british grammar, but due to American exposure most of us speak with the usual latin american accent. I don’t, though.

British (Received Pronunciation), but now I can speak with an American accent as well because a lot of non natives sometimes don't understand British accent. I got a degree in English translation and was taught almost exclusively British English. Even at university level American English is considered a dialect (which technically is correct) and covered very briefly. All the textbooks from school to uni were teaching us British English.
British pronunciation is also genuinely easier to learn for a Russian native speaker (at least from my experience).

right now I'm adopting the Devon accent involuntarily

My dad is "south ifrikin" and gave me a ton of books he had as a kid so sometimes I use British english by mistake when writing or texting quickly

Ours is a mix. Eastern Canadians have an accent that sounds foriegn compared to general North American whereas central and western Canadians sound exactly like Americans. Spelling leans toward the British version though not always as in sone cases like tire/tyre or the use of "ize" more commonly than "ise," gaol is only used for historic jails. There is a book that tells Canadians how to speak and spell, it is mostly intended for people in the tv/radio broadcast and publishing industries, one notable thing is it's rule saying Canadians are to pronounce lieutenant in the British fashion of "leftenant" though outside of broadcasting and the military it is generally pronounced in the American (french) fashion.
Canadians also have a tendency to call things after the most common brand under which they are marketed, even more so than other places. Examples include garburator (garbage disposal unit), chesterfield (sofa/couch), and pogo (corndog).
Then there are some distinctly Canadian words for things like runners (sneakers/trainers) or touque (beanie), often these are influenced by the French and First Nations.

I'm a Japanese and Japanese learn American English.
I'm in Vienna now that I have confused American English with British English right now.
We Japanese people say "first floor is first floor" because of learning American English but here's people say "first floor is the ground floor".

I'm fucking confused desu.

>All the teachers in Swedish schools

I'm certain you're basing this solely upon your own experiences.

But nevertheless, sounds like an excellent didactic.

what do you mean you mong, of course it's queens english

Canada has a bunch of accents and regionalisms, the only standard Canadian English is the orthography.

American, ofc :3

British accent, American words.