/trek/ thread

"Arguing about pointless shit again" Edition.

>Universe where the most effective weapon for elite warriors is a fucking laser sword vs. universe that has learned how to instantly teleport someone from one spot to another

The Borg would have that shit assimilated in a few hours, and even if it poses a threat to them, which I doubt, they could just fly in a circle faster than it could rotate to line up the gun.

>Needing to waste all the material and time building a fucking moon sized station when the Defiant reks an entire planet by itself

The Defiant was launching gas wmds which wouldn't be very effective against the Death Star unless they could transport them into some key air conditioning units. I suspect it wouldn't take many ships to take it out though, and Borg Cubes are much more powerful than Starships (Voyager isn't canon).

Couldn't Vader or Sheev just use force mind tricks to manipulate the hivemind?

If it has the range advantage the Deathstar wins. If the cube gets in transporter range then the Borg win.

Now, are SW deflector shields strong enough to block transporters?

>Couldn't Vader or Sheev just use force mind tricks to manipulate the hivemind?
to manipulate a single drone or an small group?sure
to control the borg queen?unlikely

I doubt even combined they could confuse 100,000 drones simultaneously over such a distance, and they certainly couldn't use it to overpower the trillions of drones elsewhere which constitute the Collective.

No transporter technology in SW universe, they would have no idea how to stop even a Federation shuttle from simply beaming a bank of torpedoes right into the central reactor. Imagine an ancient constitution class taking out Star Destroyers with just a single phaser right through the middle of their bridge, then beam the crew into space. Star Wars ship shields have always appeared to only stop a fraction of energy weapons and do nothing to stop objects, remember the scenes where debris impact the cruisers while blocking lasers from the droid ships.

And they even established that "laser" weapons are basically useless to Fed ships with just a reflector stopping it.

did stargate have a huge pyramid shaped ship

Star Wars FTL is overpowered. The death star could fly to the delta quadrant and back in a couple of days. Allowing it to appear anywhere in the galaxy with little warning, and blow up any Borg planet or space complex at will.

So...

Is Dr. Crusher hot?

startin to look like psycho mantis

I don't know who that is but she's nearing 70. She looks good considering.

>borg queen
Voy isnt canon.

Death Star would win.

You don't know Psycho Mantis, the most powerful practicioner of psychokinesis and telepathy in the world?

neither is first contact I suppose then ?

Turbolasers are not equal to lasers.

She first appeared in First Contact 3 years before Voyager. Voyager just ruined her, like everything else Borg related.

That's Legends now, brah. They're just lasers.

As soon as the cube gets into range, Vader's spidey senses would tip him off. The Borg would be oblivious to the Death Star's potential at first, but vader would probably be able to read the thoughts and intentions of the collective. Its all a matter of if the Death Star can maneuver to obliterate the cube before it comes into transporter range.

My mistake, then. Regardless, I doubt the queen, or any of the borg really, could develop a defense against force users, unless they figured out how to assimilate midichlorians.

>vader would probably be able to read the thoughts and intentions of the collective
Doubt. Borg aren't really alive, and their brains have been partly replaced by computers. You need hackers to read them, not psychics.

>Its all a matter of if the Death Star can maneuver to obliterate the cube
They'd have to be pretty stupid not to move out the obvious path of the slow-charging mega laser that would go off all their power reading charts. It's too obviously a weapon to trick them, and too slow to rotate faster than impulse, never mind warping around with The Picard Maneouver.

Any SW vs ST ends in SW favor, they have a massive advantage in speed, firepower, defensive, and industrial capacity.

Borg may not be alive, but they still have living, thinking brains. In fact, its even explicitly pointed out that mind tricks work best on the "weak minded"- no drone would have the will to resist Vader's influence. They keep enough of their brain that they could be manipulated.

As for the Death Star's speed, the station was actually surprisingly maneuverable, as the station was absolutely riddled with sublight and hyperspace drives. Im sure if Vader commanded them to move and target NOW, the station could get a secure enough lock on the cube to obliterate it.

Borg aren't weak minded, they're computer minded, Vader couldn't control them any more than he could R2

>move and target NOW, the station could get a secure enough lock on the cube to obliterate it
It takes ages to target and fire, and the Borg can move too ya know.

It takes a while to fire a full power shot, as shown in Rogue One a single reactor shot is significantly faster and more than enough to one-shot a Cube.

The Borg still have brains- which have all been conditioned to be weak and susceptible to manipulation by the collective. They are not computer minded, they are computer supplemented. Data is a droid, but drone is a cyborg.

>It takes ages to target and fire
...a laser that can destroy planets. The Death Star could shit out a tiny little discharge capable of killing a single cube.

I haven't seen that so I'll take your word for the speed, but I doubt it would do anything to their shields, even if you think Star Wars humans can think and move faster than cyborgs, which is laughable.

ST humans managed it so I think SW should be fine.

Its implied that even a single reactor shot is able to puncture planetary shields and defense grids. The Borg wouldnt have a chance to adapt their shields to the blast, since it would all be over in one shot.

thats a good one.

the thing about Star Wars is they just have more logistics than almost anyone. The Borg is just another threat that comes along every few hundred years in the Star Wars verse. The Empire could literally just crash star destroyers into the Borg until they're dead.

Well yeah Star Wars takes place in the distant pass while Star Trek takes place in the future. Not really a fair comparison.

>which have all been conditioned to be weak and susceptible to manipulation by the collective
Negative. They are computers with enough of a brain to keep their living flesh from decaying.

When? The time a fleet of ships managed to destroy 1 cube with heavy losses and the assistance of a guy who could hear their thoughts?

>even a single reactor shot is able to puncture planetary shields and defense grids
Of Star Wars shields, which are shit.

If they are both from the ancient past, was Sheev actually Morgoth?

There is no adapting. The Borg have shown a distinct limitation to their adaption, see the entire initial S8472 arc. Bring enough firepower to the fight and the Borg can't adapt.

The mechanism of adaptation is increasing the optimization of the Borg defenses against the given threat but that defense still has limits. S8472 dealt more damage than the defenses could handle. In TNG we see Borg ships damaged by random stellar phenomenon too, so again, sheer raw power (something the DS specializes in) will overcome Borg defenses straight up.

>Don't be too proud of these technological terrors you've constructed. The ability to assimilate an entire planet is insignificant next to the power of The Force

Planetary defense grids are shown to be able to keep out even large, ballistic objects such a star destroyers without failing. Star Wars ship shields are complete trash, but planetary shields are a whole other story.

What happens when the Borg assimilate a force user?

8472 was only winning because the Borg couldn't assimilate them, but they were able to down and destroy a few ships.

And the part all you Star Wars guys are missing is that it doesn't matter if you destroy the cube, you still have to clear the boarding parties off your ship. And an installation that huge has got a lot of places they could take over and hide. And not being limited by needing oxygen or heat, they could even set up shop in those massive exhaust vents where you won't look.

It's like you don't actually watch things featuring the Borg. When they board they start trying to assimilate everything and that just happens to include changing the environmental controls. Go watch First Contact again. They don't play stealth, they will reveal themselves and their potential infestation will be routed. The Empire actually employs multiple types of small arms, including slug throwers (projectile weapons) which the Borg has shown a constant weakness too (no adaptation until 29th century Drones, see VOY episode "One")

Go watch First Contact again. They didn't reveal themselves, nobody noticed anything was odd until Picard overheard someone mentioning the environmental controls were off and recognised the temperature.

They use tactics applicable to their situation, when they outgunned the Enterprise in Hide and Q, they were no threat so they boarded in plain view. In First Contact, they were down to an escape craft so they went into hiding.

And no doubt if Picard tried his tommy gun trick again, they would have adapted their shields to protect them. They always take a loss before adapting.

>It's like you don't actually watch things featuring the Borg

Never adapted to S8472 claws, a single alien killed an entire Borg cube worth of drones. Just how many losses did they need? Prove that Borg adapt to kinetic weapons.

In FC they beamed onto a rather isolated section, but they immediately started doing their thing, it wasn't stealth, it was starting out somewhere out of the way. They could do the same on the DS, but stealth isn't going to be a thing.

Star Wars and Star Trek are completely different, you can't even compare them. Star Wars is about how evil white people are. Star Trek is about how good colored people are. Glad we've settled this.

The ability to manipulate the Force is something that is tied to natural life. Seeing as The Borg are nearly entirely cybernetic I'd imagine their ability to use 'hear' the Force would be extremely limited, let alone manipulating it in any meaningful way. Vader's ability to tap into The Force became greatly inhibited after he became a cyborg so I'd imagine the same rules apply to Borg.

Going further, in Star Trek I remember it being extremely difficult to impossible to transport something through a shield. Star Wars shielding is far more advanced than Trek's, so I don't see the fight becoming difficult for the Empire unless they lose their shields somehow.

The biggest advantage I see The Borg having is their adaptive-shields. If they can adapt quick enough to the barrage of blaster bolts, proton torpedoes, concussion missiles, ion cannons, etc, etc they might survive. Although, ion cannons might tear them apart seeing as they're purpose is disabling electronics.

Is that why it took them so long to reach Yavin?

Lets say the Borg assimilate Vader. despite the fact that he is hindered by cybernetics, he is still extremely knowledgeable of the Force- upon assimilation, they would know ALL that he knows. Given the borg's characteristic efficiency, they would probably start trying to use Vader's knowledge in an effort to "tap into" the midichlorians contained within all of the "living" tissue within each drone. With their collective consciousness, a force sensitive collective may be able to manipulate just about anything.

ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS

now imagine if the borg assimilated a caste of xenomorphs?

ATTENTION UGNAUGHT WORKERS

Why did nobody ever think to build a positronic trill?

How much space in Cardassian memory banks do you think is dedicated to pre-recorded messages made in case of every single possible outcome and/or contingency?

Are you suggesting that space be used for some other purpose?

>They needed Morritza's filing system so bad because of how little space was left over

There has to be something to file.

ATTENTION WOOKIE WORKERSSS

Why?

SCIENCE!!!

Here's your (you), now fuck off back to tumblr or ribbit or whatever cesspool you crawled out of.

I expect at least half of the storage to be videos of Bajoran women being SPOONED.COM.

Who shit in your oatmeal?

One on the workers. One eye on the ceiling.

>Whenever a Bajoran terrorist attack happened the Cardassians responded by broadcasting videos of Bajorans being SPOONED

that's literally what species 8472 was
voyager was crap though so whatever

At leased 4 hours of SPOONED was required, daily watching in the camps for all workers.

>not watching videos of cardassian snuff films of making bajoran women do the cardassian neck trick and fuck their bodies after when their neck snap

Star Wars shielding is far more advanced than Trek's
Confirmed crazy person.

>Attention Krauss 4 clothiers, your latest shipment of silk was of inefior quality, we cannot allow this. If you do not deliver 20 bolts for free as recompense within 26 hours, all your citizens within our prisin system will be executed

>Confirmed crazy person.
>Imperial I-class SD "it's a space opera, I ain't gotta explain shit" power output: 10^24W
>Enterprice D "it's antimatter and muh dilithium meme crystals, [insert technobabble]" power output: 10^18W
It's not even a contest, t-b-h.
bump

>Legends

Also, Star Wars shields can be taken out by asteroids, they're a fucking joke.

You mean "Hipster Philosophical Discussions Thread"

>can be taken out by asteroids
It's a fucking space opera, Lucas the potteryman didn't give a shit about these things
Also
>as opposed to trek shields which totally can

If Vulcans don't lie, how did Tuvok infiltrate the Marquis?

He followed orders. This was directly addressed in the series.

This is the """"answer"""" Voyager gave us to that:

>As a Vulcan, I am at all times honest, Commander.
>That's not exactly true. You lied to me when you passed yourself off as a Maquis to get on my crew.
>I was honest to my own convictions within the defined parameters of my mission.

It's like a logic technobabble.

Do any other treks have THICC cadets?

look at me

look at me

i am the captain now