Is he right?

Is he right?

This is not going to end well.

Yes

Yes

Yes. But it's ok because now neither country can animate for shit.

I dunno. I'm not qualified enough to make definitive statements on the state of Eastern vs Western two-dimensional animation.

With that said, I expect a very productive, discussion-heavy thread with both sides paying careful attention and respectfully listening to what the other side has to offer

I'm amazed somebody as fucking old as this guy has apparently never heard of Max Fleischer.

These threads should just be banned. It always just leads to endless shitposting.

Like your post?

Was Akira really that well animated? I was distracted with how boring and shitty it was.

Did he even say this shit?

Yes. But it doesn't matter. 3D is the future.

>

Just watched it this weekend because my gf's daughter wants to be a weeaboo but missed critical oldschool education (and yes I've got her watching new voltron, I'm not letting her drift too far). I'd stay it still holds up pretty solid. Colors seem a bit odd, but they weren't back then.

fuck you the west has cooler shit

Yes. Americans never got out of the "cartoons are for children" funk. Ironically both paths led to cartoons now being for manchildren. Go figure.

What

Just like in the "golden age" of animation, Hannah Barbara realized they could churn out cartoons with very little effort with the same characters with different colors and killed the entire market for animation in the west until the mid 80s when animated movies came back with help from Disney and Bluthe.

Now we're in the period where no one wants(or is allowed to by producers) to take chances with animation unless it can be marketed easily or is cheap to produce. And just like modern music, there's a set script to follow, from design to characters, and until the people who air the cartoons want to take chances with 'something different' we're going to keep seeing the same generic "goofy to the point of idiocy" animated shorts that is only around to sell merchandise and will quickly disappear after one season of 'average' ratings.

Alternatively, the Asian 2D animation market is slowly trying to creep out of the stagnant period that they've gotten themselves into with the cheap to produce, easy to market moe anime. It'll take time to get out but eventually it will trigger a resurgence of good, quality animation.There are some interesting series that definitely show that they can go beyond what is generic and cheap to produce, and hopefully this can start the new renaissance of anime as it was back before the "k-on"ening.

I don't think they have mastered 2d.

sure

Literally any scene from raggedy ann is better animated than this 5 fps cheapo mass produced garbage.

>mass produced
i hope that was intentional

yes

no
fag

You forgot the next part where he said "just kidding anime sucks"

Seriously? Boring? Akira isn't exactly the best story ever told, but boring?

This is true ADHD.

i don't think that user actually watched Akira. even my casual friend who doesn't even pick up on how good animation is said Akira was a beautifully animated movie.

Who the fuck designs a giant robot and then decides it should use a box cutter as a weapon?

Somebody fucking cool.

>300 levels of detail and 14 hour backgrounds
>same level of work put in as a digital artist for a top end digital animation masterpiece
yeah some of them are pretty slave driven korean-to-japan immigrant sorts of work

the box cutter is just one of many weapons used by the MILF-bot.