Are there any films that deals with this concept?

Are there any films that deals with this concept?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem
stayorswitch.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Breakfast at Tiffany's

IT'S COMPLETELY RANDOM CHANCE

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU DO

There's a movie where Kevin Spacey plays a professor and asks his students about it.

Reminder that this problem doesn't exist in reality, only in mathematics. In reality changing your door doesn't matter a whit.

t. retard

How does it matter? Mathematics don't describe reality.

wew

No shit it doesn't alter the nature of reality, it just increases your probability of picking the correct one from your perspective.

haha is that a GOAT standing behind an open DOOR? Just look at him! Look at that confused GOAT! Ha HA!

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

From what I read the premise is faulty because it's the opposite of how a gameshow would do it

What is this concept? Fucking goats?

This.

It's a pretty shitty concept. Your chances are the same.

Incorrect

specifically goats opening doors
any suggestions?

Yeah when do math ever have anything to do with reality.

Are we talking about switching your pick if you miss?

Because it does increase your chances if you switch.

It's a 50/50 chance. Either you guess right or you guess wrong; two outcomes. 1/2 = 50%

Numbers aren't ultimately real/absolute, they are human concepts.

So are you.

Is this /lit/ or /sci/ I can't tell the difference anymore

>
>So are you.

Wooooahhh

Sliding Doors

A human can know ultimate reality, though. I bring you this message from a position of such knowledge.

How about we take 1 step further?

t. Marlboro

didn't they do this on mythbusters and statistically prove that changing doors in a real scenario was the better choice?

This.

I pull the lever and hope it goes to track A so I can see more bodies explode.

>statistically prove

gbt reddit

>superposition
Pardon?

Nice sample size.

Wrong. While it is true, that you could argue everything is ultimately a fabrication of our consciousness comprehending out surroundings so we can navigate it, numbers, more specifically math, are explicitly human inventions.

>people riding a trolley with an unfinished track
I would shoot the fuck that sold that ticket

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

Threadly reminder that anyone who seriously believes that the odds are 50/50 regardless of switching is mathematically, unequivocally, irrevocably wrong.

This is bullshit.

>let out wave function fart
>teleports behind train
>pssh nothing personnel

>personnel

retard

pulling the lever is interfering with a situation you don't want any part of. Even if you save the group, you still directly killed one, and some one's going to be mad at you.

Just keep on fucking whistling and watch the carnage unfold in the corner of your eye.

china style

This. Same with the lottery. 50/50 chance. You either win or you don't.

you cheeky motherfuck I'm going to kill you

>that spacing
reddit

Its not bullshit.
You have a 66% chance of starting with a goat. monty always revealing a goat does not change that. If you start with a goat you should switch.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

lets make a deal

Your website is showing, friend

kek

I don't get it, where's the goat?

Damn you're fucking good!

Exam
Circle
The Cube

Do brainlets seriously not realize the people who pretend not to get this are fucking with them? It's literally the same as misusing your to spot newfags.

You have a 50% chance of starting with a goat. Either there's a goat behind the door or there isn't. Same will the other doors. This probability thing is bullshit and doesn't describe reality. The 50/50 odds are accurate and correct, not only in this situation but every situation involving an choice and outcome. Either the thing will happen or it won't, either you win or you don't. The end.

*you're

you can totally prove it. make an experiment. instead of three doors, take a dice. sides 1 and 2 are door 1, roll 3 or 4 and it's door 2, 5 or 6 is door three (you can also use a random number generator online instead). see if your odds improve if you switch every time. i'll do it to save you the time. random numbers are 1,2,1,2,3,1,3,3,2,3,1 (the door behind which is the treasure)

so now i randomly pick a door (randomized via a number generator or a dice roll) here's the result... 2 3 2 1 2 2 1 2 1 1 3.

now, if i don't switch, i guessed correctly 0 times. yikes.

but, if i do switch, the only way you can mess up is if you guessed correctly- interestingly enough. so in the example, none of the times was the door i chose the one with the fabulous prize. so i'm asked if i want to switch (as in example 1) where the goat is behind door 1 and i choose door 2. i'm shown that there is nothing in door three. by switching, i get to land on the lucky prize. now, doing this for every example, you'll surely see how it's better to switch.

tldr... switch. try the experiment yourself with dice or a random number generator
>
>
>
what

people who can't wrap their head around this shit should literally just be memed

you can literally test this out yourself

stayorswitch.com/

Here's the explanation.

Mathematically incorrect.

Please reference:

Wrong. There is a reason why he didn't pick the same door as you did. That is big a clue.

I already called that post bullshit and explained how math doesn't describe reality accurately. Maybe it's mathematically incorrect but that doesn't matter, it's correct absolutely.

Well, that would break the NAP.

NAP is only with the snake though

bakemonogatari

>

you have 2/3 chances of selecting the wrong door.
host opens one wrong door.
that means there is one wrong door and and one prize door present.
if you selected the wrong door in the beggining (for which you had 2/3 chances), switching the door means you now selected the prize door

there, explained for massive idiots, hope you get it now

I just don't get it

If there's always two goats, and he's always going to reveal at least one, then your initial pick is fucking pointless. It will always come down to two doors. You know with 100% certainty, no matter what, one goat will be revealed, because that's how the game works. Whoring probability of your initial pick doesn't change the fact that the only choice you make that matters is between two doors, which is a strict 50/50 no matter how you slice it.

50/50 nigger BTFO

see

You have a 50% chance of selecting the right door. Either you win or you don't. Logically, philosophically this is correct. For some reason people like to turn this into some sort of mathematical probability game, which says more about their psychology than it does this "problem." Human race for you.

I wrote a Python program a while ago for someone who didn't believe this. It's 1/3 by sticking and 2/3 by staying. If you think it's 50/50 you're stupid

>It's 1/3 by sticking and 2/3 by staying.
Wanna try that again?

Just imagine it with 1000 doors. You pick one and the host opens 998 doors that reveal a goat. More than likely you picked a goat and the other door has a car.
If the doors were opened completely randomly and happened to reveal goats, then in that instance it would be 50/50.

>50% chance of selecting the right door.
do you have a 50% chance of rolling a 6?

Again, your first selection is pointless because you know with absolute certainty that one wrong door will be eliminated regardless of your choice.

Just because MUH STATISTICS says it's 66% isn't a substitute for actual human interaction, thought, and weighing risks.

You still don't get it. Your probability changes because you are given new information. The situation is no longer random. You have new info to navigate and make an informed choice.

the matrix reloaded

Yes. Either you roll a six or you don't.

fugg

yeah, just like you have 50% chance of winning when you play the roulette, or lottery. you also either win or don't. no idea why people keep on bringing those bullshit propability shit there

>Your probability changes because you are given new information.

It's not new information.

You already know no matter what you pick one door will be eliminated. That's not new info you suddenly gain. It's the basis of the entire fucking scenario.

t. brainlet

Ooooh

So basically you are betting that your first choice was wrong because there's a higher chance of it being wrong than otherwise, so switching afterwards is the right choice

yes

>it's a 50% no matter what

in that case, there's a 50% chance a meteor is going to land directly on your fat dumb head tomorrow, it either will or it won't happen. Try living with that anxiety hanging over you.

I dont know man. I have a physics degree with a minor in both comp sci and math and I literally cannot comprehend the Monty Hall solution

I once made a program to run this 100,000,000 times each way and it holds

nice sample size

This problem is literally explained in my first year comp sci math book, what third world shit hole school did graduate from?

Because you're basically asking the program what are the odds of getting a goat with zero context.

You already know it's going to come down to only two doors. Whatever you pick is irrelevant because it will always come down to a single coin flip of car or no car.

You do learn new information when the a door is opened.

>You pick door A, have a 1/3 chance of being right
>You know there is a 2/3 chance of the prize being behind either door B or door C (1/3 + 1/3)
>Door C opens
>You now know there's no chance of the prize being behind door C
>There is still a 2/3 chance of the prize being behind either door B or door C
>2/3 = 0 + Probability of door B being right
>Probability of prize being behind door B being correct is thus 2/3
>2/3 chance of being right by swapping, 1/3 by staying

Just because you see the solution doesn't mean you understand it you neanderthalic shit burger

But I do understand it, if you pick a door and stay with it you get whatever is behind your door, if you pick a door and change you get the opposite of whatever is behind it. It's that simple

There are only 3 possible scenarios. The car in this example will be behind Door 1 for demonstration purposes.

Scenario A
>pick Door 1
>Door 3 is revealed to have a goat
>staying on 1 wins you car
>switching to 2 wins you goat

Scenario B
>pick Door 2
>Door 3 is revealed to have a goat
>staying on 2 wins you goat
>switching to 1 wins you car

Scenario C
>pick Door 3
>Door 2 is revealed to have a goat
>staying on 3 wins you goat
>switching to 1 wins you car

As you can see, in 2 out of 3 scenarios you can win the car if you switch, whereas only in 1 out of 3 scenarios you can win the car if you stay. Probability yo.