Why was he treated like such shit

>Rescues the unicorn from a life of imprisonment
>Risks his life in two fights for the fucking unicorn
>Does what he's told to do when the Red Bull shows up and does what he can to save her yet again
>Gets bitched at for it multiple fucking times as if he did something wrong
>Multiple hints in the movie of him loving the unicorn
>Seriously the first half of the fucking film is basically him doing anything he can for her as resistant as she is
>Gets fucking cockblocked by some random guy introduced literally halfway through the movie
>Gets bitched at and talked down to by not only Lir and the Unicorn, but also his end-of-the-movie love interest (seriously why?)
>Gets no thanks until the last minute of the film and it's a passive aggressive half assed, oblivious one from the Unicorn who winds up being a self-obsessed ungrateful bitch

Can we talk about this? Why the FUCK did the best character in this movie get the absolute worst outcome? Why was the whole movie just him getting bitched at for helping? Why was literally every other character such an ass?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xjj7Trw-Sj0?t=27
youtube.com/watch?v=VxoJLJx-mJw
youtube.com/watch?v=OkAbmWrqtC0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He does real magic and gets the girl.

Yeah Shemdrick has a rough time of it but he ends up in a decent place, I think.

His name is "shmendrick", that's why. Shmendrick is treated like a shmendrick.

If his name had been "Asshole" would you be so confused?

So I reatched it, and all I got out of this movie was that he was literally in love doing all he could for the ungrateful unicorn and then some writer got replaced or something and changed everythig halfway through. I get it's based on a book but I'm taking this how it was presented in the film.

There is literally no development for Schmendrick and the wench to get together. All Molly does is bitch at him and tell him to help the unicorn, which he's already fucking doing.

The Unicorn turns human and FOR SOME FUCKING REASON, after a long period of rejecting Lir, just after one shitty song segment, is like, fuck it, I love this guy for no reason.

Then they both rub that shit in Shmendrick's face, while he, as Molly fucking says 'works night and day' to keep the King busy so they can stay focused on their mission, which, again, the unicorn FUCKING FORGETS because of Lir for SOME reason, and even after Molly shows a slight amount of respect for him in that scene, just goes on to bitch and moan about how he isn't good enough and so on.

I get it's an 80's film and it suffers from a lot of bad transtions and stuff, but some scenes like the skeleton one were really great and cohesive, so I don't get why the characters don't interact properly outside of a handful of scenes.

How is he an asshole? He's the only one who did anything

One of my earliest memories was watching this movie with my family and hearing my grandpa say, "look at the titties on that bird."

You don't know what "Shmendrick" means, do you, goy?

Anti-Semitism.

Is it relevant? I'm talking about what happened in the film. I don't care what his name is, he did nothing to deserve what he got

No, I don't, you knife-nosed yid.

Oy vey. Be a mensch, not a shmendrick.

>never run from anything immortal it only attracts their attention.

would it though?

Fun fact: Shmendrick is currently immortal. His tutor, one of the greatest wizards of all time, said that Shemdrick would be great one day. The thing is, Shmendrick is absolutely terrible at Magic. His tutor cursed him to be immortal until he becomes a true magician and is able to control his own powers. He is older than you or I, despite his baby face, and his journey with the unicorn helps him realize how to use his power, so one day, he can grow old and die.

>all Molly does is bitch at him.
Sad, but true. In the Book, Shmendrick despises Molly as well. She can freely touch the unicorn, while Shmendrick respects the creature too much to touch her. Molly being super friendly with the unicorn pisses him off to no end.

Why DID everybody want to fuck that Unicron, anyway? Like, not even her human form. All the men in the movie straight up wanted to fuck the horse.

Shmendrick was infatuated with her from the start, Jeff Bridges insisted "I love who I LOVE" when he was told she would have to turn back into a horse.

This movie had problems.

>Fun fact: Shmendrick is currently immortal
The Unicorn rejects the fuck out of Shmencdrick and he gives chase, hmmm

Also that scene where Schmendrick trips on a rock going across the river and accidentally touches her butt and then shrugs. It's like 5 seconds long but it's there for a reason. And when Molly again, I don''t know WHY she would say this, told him he 'doesn't care about her" and then he's like "I wish to God I didn't."

I mean seriously, why the fuck did the movie stress it so hard for him to just get nothing in the end? I never thought I'd be so upset about a guy NOT getting to fuck a unicorn

>Why DID everybody want to fuck that Unicron, anyway?

Who WOULDN'T want to fuck a giant metal planet voiced by Orson Welles?

Megatron wasn't into sub & vore, but Galvatron is

>Why does he care
This goes back to what hems learned as being an immortal. Everything you care about dies, and he knows the unicorn feels no kinship or obligation. If he grows attached, everything will only hurt more.

Another fun Shmendrick fact: when various townspeople send their dogs to change him, Molly, and the Unicorn, Shmendrick grabs the dogs to eat

Interesing. What else do I need to know that wasn't in the film? Did he actually fuck a tree too?

NOW THAT I'M A WOMAN

The book is surprisingly close t the movie. It's clear that the movie makers wanted to remake the book scene for scene, but had to shuffle and leave some things out for the sake of time and budget.

With the tree, he wanted no part of her.

Another thing is Captain Cully and his band of free men. The men who tied him up to the tree. Captain Cully is a filthy liar. His band wanted songs about Robin Hood, whom they all wish to be like. Instead, they actually take money from the poor to give to the king. Captain Cully forces the young boy minstrel named Willie to sing falsified songs about his band of free men. Painting them as good guys, but they all know it's a lie, and it eats at them. Captain Cully believes Shmendrick to be a fabled figure who listens to songs and makes only one famous. Shmendrick denies being this fellow, and tries to do tricks to prove it. Eventually, he calls upon an illusion of Robin Hood (the unicorn is not in this scene, aiding him), Cully is infuriated for being reminded that everything about him is a lie.

Prince Lír is also a sort of prophecy baby. He was born in the village near Haggrid's castle, and it was told only one from that village can bring that castle crumbling, so the village is full of old people, because while the castle stands, they are well off.

the book is one of the better ones I've ever read so I can't really see the plotholes that get covered in it

Shmendrick is kind of a narcissist, he fancies having a unicorn in his company will make him special but his also embittered and has low self-esteem. The unicorn is actually really fond of him by unicorn standards.

He becomes a lot more awesome and empathetic as the story goes on.

As for the situation with Lir. It's explicitly ridiculous for everyone involved. Lir is a fat and lazy layabout until he catches sight of the unicorn woman for the first time and instantly does a 180, gets into shape and starts bringing her dragon heads "like a cat delivering dead mice to its owner."

They are both equally hilariously over the top as they are clueless and the whole thing is seen through the eyes of confused bystanders looking at fairy tale logic playing out in front of them.

Does the book explain why the unicorn gets with Lir?

Because with Jews you lose

Human emotions are hell of a drug if you've never felt anything like them before.

If he ended up continuing his travels with the unicorn that would have been fine enough but WHY did he have to end up with god awful, ugly, depressed brony chick?

But she was totally unresponsive to him in the beginning and he doesn't do anything but 'hero' stuff, murdering magical creatures or at least dragons,(like what she is) and shit to impress her. When right after that scene with Haggard pressing her about what she really is, Shmendrick comes to console her, but fuck him. This other guy is killing stuff when I used to live in a magic forest where I protected all those animals? Seriously what logic is this

She was slowly becoming more human the longer she was in the human body. That's why she started to forget that she was ever a unicorn and the symbol on her forehead began to fade.

And the more she became human and forgot her past, the more she began to fall in love with Lir and reciprocate his emotions.

It's clearer in the book because it represents the passage of time better. The movie had to move things along briskly, so save for a few montages, it isn't as clear how much time is passing between scenes (which is why he attitude toward Lir seems to change so spontaneously).

Yeah no, I got that. But why fuckig Lir and NOT Schmendrick? Someone she had already been around for a long time, someone who was devoting his shit to her, someone the movie was implying shit would happen with. Does Lir do anything besides murder and fight stuff?

Fuckin shippers

Okay, I see your problem here.

You're upset that your OTP didn't make it.
You're problem is that you're a shipping fag.

The movie did nothing wrong. It is your autism that's the problem.

you sound mad, at the end of the day
Lir confesses his in love with her and
Shmendrick *isn't* in love with her or anyone but himself mostly until he gets over his baggage

as for the depressed brony chick in question she's actually super idealistic and probably the only reason Shmendrick bothers to do anything in the story is to either impress her or the unicorn with her refusing to be impressed by anything besides human decency

What makes you so insistent that Goddamned Smendrick was romantically interested in the unicorn to begin with? I keep reading you say it, but I saw none of it in the book or movie. Are you confusing romance with awe, respect, and pity?

So this entire thread wasn't about any unclear plot points in the movie.

It's just one butthurt shipper who can't get over it. Fuckin' Sup Forums...

I only watched the movie again the other day for the first time in years, faggot. I don't ship them. That's not my problem, but the fucking movie seemed to, only to pull a 180. Go watch it and tell me that shit Shmendrick says in the second half of the movie isn't implicative of something.

Yeah ok

We almost had a thought provoking thread about the content of a film and its source material.

Then it turns to have all been about an autist's ship being sunk and his butthurt over the whole thing.

Fumbled at the 1 yardline, Sup Forums.

hey at least it wasn't a thread for dumping "I want to fuck that" images

He's not implying romance. Do you know nothing of some of the world's most magical and revered creatures? Do you not understand that at the sight of one of many of these, people will fall to their knees and cry?
You watch a creature of pure magic and beauty be demoted to a mere human being, and slowly turn human herself. It's like killing an angel or something.

>It's clear that the movie makers wanted to remake the book scene for scene,
Peter S. Beagle wrote the screenplay for the film.

It says so right in the opening credits.

It was as close as any film adaptation is likely to be.

You tards are really projecting and taking that one post out of context. When was the last time you even watched the film?

Sure, but don't tell me Schmendrick doesn't sound jealous in this scene after hearing her say she wanted to die with Lir youtu.be/xjj7Trw-Sj0?t=27

I mean it's possible there is no romantic context, but it comes off that way. In the scene where he turns her into a woman and Molly accuses him of choosing the form himself, he's all 'no, the magic chose it' and that might be true but the way he says it makes it seem like he wanted it too

youtube.com/watch?v=VxoJLJx-mJw

can someone explain the fucking Butterfly to me?

I think he's cursed to only repeat things he has heard and cursed to sing.

I know in the beginning of the book, he struggles to recite the tale of the Red Bull, and cuts in the middle to sing. The the. Forced himself to speak again, only to start singing again and flutter off.

He's not cursed. He's just a butterfly, and according to the book, that's just how they are. They flit about and pick up stuff and repeat it.

He makes an effort to help the unicorn but it's hard for him to stay focused.

>Sure, but don't tell me Schmendrick doesn't sound jealous in this scene after hearing her say she wanted to die with Lir

I can not tell you whatever you want, but it won't stop being truth through omission.

Schmendrick does not sound jealous. He sounds disgusted that the unicorn would give up the quest for her own happiness when the lives of so many other unicorns are at stake.

>Sure, but don't tell me Schmendrick doesn't sound jealous in this scene

And you accuse others of "projecting".

Oh my sides.

Hes not jealous hes pissed at her for giving up

>mfw this thread is just one user buttmad his OTP didn't make it

what's better? a unicorn a pegasus or a normal horse?

only one of these can be fucked in real life

One of the things I like about The Last Unicorn is that the characters feel very real even in a faerie tale context. They have feelings that don't always make sense, do stupid things that hurt people they care about, and their motivations can be weird and subtle, but all that just makes them feel more like real people.

An Alicorn....

Unicorn.

Unicorns are P U R E
Unicorns are L O V E
Unicorns can C O N S E N T

Pegasus and horse are bestiality.

You really should read the book. You will find there is a lot more explanation in there.

The movie is a pretty good adaptation of the book, with a few notable exceptions. Okay, spoiler time:

Shmendrick through the film (and much moreso through the book) references the great wizard Nikos, and things he did. He also makes comments about beings going from becoming ageless to aging and the feeling it must be. In reality, Shmendrick is about 1000 years old. He was enchanted to have continual youth and life until he could either master his magic or... I think die? I can't quite remember, but he wasn't invincible.

He saw the Unicorn as his last chance after a thousand years of trying. He didn't love it, though in the books it is even more clear that people admire the stunning beauty of the Unicorn. He is no exception, and like all peoples once they have overcome their fear of the fearful beauty of the Unicorn, he wished to be closer to it.

Molly Gru is just.... Molly. She's been burned pretty badly in life and feels old and worn out. But the Unicorn rekindles a lot of what she was in youth. Unfortunately she does take up much/all of the little attention the aloof Unicorn has to give.

Nonetheless, Shmendrick ending up with Molly doesn't seem quite so out of place. She recognized his value (nearly) before he attained "real magic". She's good and faithful in strong ways, even when the road to walk is a hard one. I believe in the books she walks barefoot with the pair of them for hundreds of leagues, because she doesn't want to be anywhere else but with the Unicorn. And honestly, when you've lived a thousand years, you probably want someone for their heart not their body, right?

>tfw Peter S. Beagle is going to die before we get a live action film
>and the eventual live action film will be shit because his agent who tricked him into signing rights over is a con artist elder abuser

The sequel short story is worth a read too.

the part where Schmendrick goes off because he's begged the unicorn to save the dying Lir and she saves the little girl's dog instead is hilarious.

A kelpie.

she will kill me but she will remember what I did to her and I will be immortal

youtube.com/watch?v=OkAbmWrqtC0

>>tfw Peter S. Beagle is going to die before we get a live action film

>tfw Christopher Lee would have been able to play the perfect Haggard in a live action version as well
>tfw he dead

Nope. I reject thee.

>This is the exact moment in the thread when everyone realized OP has autism and stopped taking him seriously.

It's beautiful.

>tfw Peter S. Beagle is going to die before we get a live action film
>tfw if we ever get one Beags won't be around to make damn sure they include the line "Have a taco" because he 'thought it was funny and fuck everything it's my book/movie'

He also won't be around to make sure the unicorn looks like a unicorn and not a horse.

Poor dwarfer

I'd also like to add that Molly is pretty terrible with social skills and the Unicorn is distinctly not human. Much of the book (and the cartoon movie by proxy) intentionally shows how she views the world differently than man does. Much of the story is her coming to understand mortals (and men) a bit better. Her reaction is probably reasonable from her point of view.

Also, I think his outcome is what he really wanted:

He got real magic and got to move on with his life. When he first saved the Unicorn, she offered to grant him a favor (or was it a wish) in gratitude, and he asked to accompany her. Later both he and she admit she could not have given him what he truly desired.

The more obvious by the end is he wants to realize his full magical potential with control, but the subtle implication could be that he wants for companionship, which he also ultimately gets in the form of Molly. Or perhaps he grows as a character, overcoming his embittered feelings from the centuries.

The 80s had some good moments.

I don't think anyone wanted to fuck her (okay maybe Lir) but they were entranced by her extreme unnatural beauty.

>The unicorn is actually really fond of him by unicorn standards.
I like that summary of it. I hadn't really thought of that before.

I think Lir finally gets motivation in life to do something when he sees her. I think it is implied this happens because he was raised by a jaded adopted father in a twisted place between luxury and poverty. He's never had anything much to motivation him before. When he suddenly sees the impossibly beautiful women, with his limited social skills, he does what he can to attract her.

It's probably that though he tried, Peter S. Beagle could have benefitted from an editor who didn't have the entire story in his head, making sure all holes were actually covered. Still, it's not the worst script ever.

Mm, point there.

Man, fucking unicorns...