What went wrong?

what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KYUolurihOQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Lynch didn't have final cut and he's been crying about it like a little bitch ever since.

alot, but it's a beautiful nostalgic trainwreck thats worth watching for the cast alone

it was directed by a hack

nothing. great movie. better than 90% of capeshit. better than 80% star wars/star trek movies.

it failed to be a bad movie

Jodorowsky didnt make it

his movie had nothing to do with dune though, he just should've made metabarons instead

That blue afro was was over the top.

still a better space movie than the force awakens/rogue one

War scenes were a bit iffy, otherwise perfect

It is actually planet on the horizon

i saw it as a kid when it came out and loved it
as an adult i still think it's great although the fx compositing need to be redone
i really don't get the hate outside of people who read the books

The studio keeps offering him a chance to have a final cut and he keeps turning it down.

>this half-baked garbage is included in top 10 science fiction movies of all time lists

The studio had the final say on the matter. This is why as a director, you ask for entire creative control or nothing at all

It's dope in the same way that Legend is... "this is a bad cut, the director's cut with a diff score is better"
but it's the "weird" cut (not bad) that is all of the allure and strangeness that makes it otherworldly

This, I cringe everytime when faggots on this board praise lynch.
This movie is evidence enough that he sucks.

You can't translate that book into a movie

Would Lynch be able to make this work?

been sitting in my bookshelf for years, i need to read this

Yes, yes you do.

It's my favorite genre fiction book by far.

what is it

This is because the source material is so good. Despite its flaws, what the film managed to translate from the books was incredibly imaginative. Also, as user mentioned, the cast is amazing.

This is also because there have only ever been like ten sci-if movies that were actually good.

book of the new sun

He couldn't even make Dune work.

The source material is just too... odd

I love the book, but lets be honest, it has problems, I'm not convinced you'd let a film off for the stuff Paul gets away with as a character. The reveal that he's a mentat, super Bene Gessuit Messiah works in a meandering book, but in a short 2hr movie...

Also the book is really really... lets just say old fashioned. Trying to tell this story to a modern audience, without offending people deeply, would remove its guts.

The only way you'd get this effectively to the screen would be a 4hr abstract animation with meandering, weird pacing, and frankly insane visuals.

Dune is one of those books that is simply too big to be properly fitted in one film.

Also, it's so dependent on internal dialogue and subtlety that trying to adapt it visually is very challenging. Lynch did a good job, but Dune would be better as a Netflix /HBO kind of deal.

wtf I hate Lynch now

Literally, LITERALLY nothing, it's up to date the boldest attempt at a blockbuster ever.

You're a lying bitch considering he didn't say a peep about the film for 30 years now.

The script was too close to the novel, as in there are parts where the characters might as well be reading from it. Where it diverges is mainly pointless and doesn't make much sense and was probably caused by budget/logistics issues.

I mean, those parts where characters have inner thoughts they whisper out. That shit should be cut and the script re-tooled to work around. I would have started on Arrakis and then have getting their down through flashback, start us off in the action, maybe with the Duke being killed, and as they travel through the desert cut back to what happened earlier, the relationships between the characters etc. They get to the Fremen in the second act.

>Alan Smithee

I knew Lynch didn't like it, but I hadn't realized he had actually disowned it.

I think it was only one edit that he put Alan Smithee on

According to Lynch himself, he sold out.

I'm serious. That's what he said.

Just leave kino to me.

Lynch's weirdness did not synergize well with the weirdness of the source material

A Metabaron movie is my wet dream.

So, Dune basically has an Anti-Director's Cut?

crap book

no amount of cuts will fix this garbage

i know right? It's shit and the book ain't particularly impressive (just a Lord of the Rings in space, with 95% of world building and 5% of over-written shitty exposition). The movie only is worth as series of vignettes of the scenes from the book - without reading it movie don't make fucking sense at all

I think up until the point when Paul Atreides and his mother go into exile, it's pretty good and is almost *exactly* like I envisioned the source material.

After that it becomes an embarrassing and chaotic cheese fest.

Absolutely nothing. The FX in particular were jaw-dropping.
youtube.com/watch?v=KYUolurihOQ

>shitty inner monologues that don't work in film
>weirding tools
>buttplugs or whatever it was been ages since I've seen it

just dumb. hate lynch and his shit tastes