Y: The Last Man

God tier series right here. Just finished today, and I gotta say I loved it. Great blend of comedy, drama, action, and intrigue. Haven't really delved too deep into the world of graphic novels (mainly only read Watchmen and Sandman before this, a little Walking Dead), but I'd be interested for more stuff like this. Any suggestions?

Maus is pretty good.

Persepolis is a nice read and nice movie.

I'm currently on my second reading off watchmen picking up the details I've missed and analyzing it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

A good companion piece to Watchmen is Squadron Supreme (the original 12 issue series). Came out roughly the same time, offers another look at 'heroes in a real world' setting.

If you enjoyed Sandman, check out Lucifer by Mike Carey, the best Sandman spinoff.

Ex Machina also written by Brian K. Vaughn is great. Most don't like the ending but I thought it was fitting. About a guy who gains the power to talk to and control machines, who eventually uses his fame to run for office.

Some other quick suggestions: Transmetropolitan, Chew, Saga, Hellboy, Madman, Invincible, The Invisibles, 100 Bullets, Astro City. Invincible and Astro City are cape books but still good.

>Ex Machina

This, OP. I'd say it's better than Y: The Last Man. It isn't quite as light-hearted after the second TPB though.

I recently read through Stray Bullets by David Lapham, which I can whole-heartedly recommend.

...this guy is unreal, and kind of ruins the series for me. I doubt a monastic Catholic priest, with latent gay feelings, wouldn't at least have been weak even once.

I mean, fuck, women of every age, build and racial variation are throwing themselves at you, with no need for anything like longterm commitment, across a timespan where you vary in condition (that night you drank too much, depressed, and/or lonely and longing for human closeness).

Shit's just not realistic. I'm a pretty traditional guy, who is waiting on marriage, and when I go out drinking and dancing, a girl putting my hands on her hips and grinding her ass on my crotch for a few seconds is enough to make 'higher thoughts and reasoning' fly away for the rest of the night.

Y is a shit series and the ending is down right insulting.

How did it end, for 'FYI' sake? I have the first two volumes, but they are pretty much 'end of the world' firestarters. I'm never likely to finish the series.

I don't know if you have read Ex Machina, but if this is your reaction to Ys ending than it is not for you.

For me, Ys ending was pretty much, life will go on and your efforts don't necessarily amount to anything. Or at least not in any way you would like them to. Which is a pretty good moral.

Or BKV just always is down when he has to write endings.

so damn hard

I read it because I thought it was Saga.
Credit to the series: it kept me reading even after I realized I'd made a mistake.

>I read it because I thought it was Saga.

???

THANK YOU!
jesus i swear the same people who used to lord this series like it was gods greatest gift went ahead and shelved it for saga.

But one of the few compliments you can give Y is that it's at least better than Saga

basically black girl agent dies, and the guy gets cloned to repopulate the planet.

If you've read the comic, you find out that yorick is borderline suicidal.

I haven't read Y. So, why hasn't he boned one girl during his time as last man on Earth?

>Monkey poop saved his life

He has a girlfriend that he wants to remain faithful to. But he ends up boning someone midway through anyway and then when he finally finds his girlfriend again after the entire fucking series he realizes that he doesn't want to be with her and that he's in love with the agent that helped protect him the entire time. And then he tries to get with her and she fucking dies.

>Y

Loved the series

>Hated the socially inept bullshitter that was Yorick

seriously, he went this whole series being a peice of shit, zero redeeming qualities aside his occasional dry wit

kill yourself

But user I don't own a fedora... I spend all my money on comics.

Holy shit, yes on all of these.

ladies first

This was fucking shit. Stopped reading at book three when the doctor and agent started fucking. The whole story felt made by a teenager. It was all setup, never explored any themes. Just over the top situations and contrived plot points don't make your story deep. I advise reading From Hell if you want to see the gold standard of the medium.

Check out pic related, kind of slice of life drama about a guy who writes obituaries, each issue takes place at a different point in his life and he dies at the end of every one. It's my fav of all time but I never really see it mentioned on Sup Forums

helps if i post the pic

These are great OP