Mfw everybody knows deep down that the eagles are a legitimate huge plot hole

>mfw everybody knows deep down that the eagles are a legitimate huge plot hole

How?

>give a hoot
>READ A BOOK!

they're a lazy plot device at least

Eagles can't even fly you fucking pleb.

In a meta sense, yes, but contextually they work just fine.

The Eagles didn't pay their taxes until the end of the 3rd movie.

>mfw the eagles know the eagles are a huge plot hole

>powerful wizards on both sides
>not a single lightning bolt, fireball, nothing

THEY WERE ON A BREAK

>magic world
>didnt just send the ring into space
Tolkien is a hack

The Eagles couldn't legally claim two hobbits and the ring at Mordor customs. They could export them from Mordor, but not import them due to the high domestic non-tariff barriers to trade.

OK, so this is the hole I see. Sauron knows that Frodo and the Hobbits have carried the ring before, as the Ringwraiths saw Frodo with the ring at Weathertop. Why then, does Sauron send his whole army to meet Aragorn's in the field at the Black Gate, when he has received reports that two Hobbits have been trying to get into Mordor, and are no longer in their custody. Sauron definitely knows this, as the Mouth of Sauron presents Frodo's mithril armour to Aragorn at the gate (both in the book and in the extended film version).

Basically, why was Sauron so convinced Aragorn had the ring when he knew there were two Hobbits who in the past had been carrying the ring tramping about Mordor somewhere? Why would he fall so easily for this trap?

Why didn't the Eagles just join the Allies in 1939?

They don't think Aragorn has the ring, they think Merry/Pippin have it. The orcs capture Merry and Pippin, believing they have the ring. That's the only reason they are kept alive. They are taken to Isengard but manage to escape during a Rohan ambush of the Orcs that captured them. Cue Sauron looking for the ring again.

>Sauron=Hitler
>eagles=Americans
woah

>when he has received reports that two Hobbits have been trying to get into Mordor
It was just Frodo that was captured and as far as the orcs and Sauron knew he was just a spy acting on his own as they never found the ring on him nor did he tell them what his purpose was and he was alone. As for Aragorn, Sauron believed he had the Ring as it was the only reason he could think of as to why Aragorn would be supposedly arrogant enough to attack him head on at the gate. Remember that Sauron wants the ring back not just to regain his old strength but also to prevent anyone else from using the ring to usurp him.

really tickles your pickle

Do the books ever get good? I'm at the part with Tom Bombadill.

Right, but for what purpose would two Hobbits be trying to sneak into Mordor alone other than to deliver the ring to Mount Doom? If I were Sauron that would be my first assumption. Even if they thought Merry and Pippin had it, there's no way they could be completely sure of that, or that they hadn't given it to someone else.

They couldn't use the eagles, because they are very pride and would get corrupted instantly or so was the actual reason. But yes, they should have included that. Like, First Mr Beutlin, you are a fat hobbit, second I am fucking Wizard and third thats why we wont use THE FUCKING EAGLES?

>look up the War of Wrath
>find out Thangorodrim actually existed

>Mr Beutlin

hallo Hans

I don't think Sauron knows that Sam and Frodo are actually in Mordor until the very last minute.

The big question is, why the fuck is the one place the ring can be destroyed not guarded by an army of thousands of orcs? It's like literally just a burn all you want buffet for magical rings with no entry fee.

>Like, First Mr Beutlin, you are a fat hobbit, second I am fucking Wizard and third thats why we wont use THE FUCKING EAGLES?

lol what

Sauron was arrogant enough to believe that no one would even try to willingly destroy the ring and so never bothered to account for this possibility. He was actually quite correct too as no living being could willingly destroy the ring as Frodo showed by claiming it instead of dropping it into Mt Doom. The ring was only destroyed due to luck and divine intervention.

>have a trillion orcs at your service
>dont leave one (1) single orc to hold the entrance to the only place in the universe where your magical ring can be destroyed because "t-they wouldnt destroy it, r-right? they wouldnt try to do the only thing that could ultimately defeat me r-right?"

why was tolkien such an useless cunt?

Saurons pride. He doesn't actually think anyone is capable of destroying the ring, and he's right, no one can willingly destroy the ring standing inside mt doom. So the hobbits making it through mordor are inconsequential since they're actually just bringing it closer without much risk to him, he thinks.

With Aragorns army coming to the black gate he has an opportunity to extinguish the royal line of numenor, which he's been at war with dating back to the second age. Not to mention it would shatter the world of men

He already even knew they were trying to take it there.

Um....

What does the ring even do?

whatever the plot wants it to do because tolkien is a hack

>implying the eagles are the major plot hole
>not the huge black hole in Sauron's finances that would stifle his ability to ever legitimately maintain an army of any size

From literally years of these threads and general internet discussion on this topic, what I've gathered is that the eagles probably wouldn't have worked (at least not by themselves) and the outcome would've been unpredictable.
Having said that, when they discuss various shit solutions right before the fellowship forms, no one even suggests the eagles. This is such that it makes it clear that Tolkien never considered the eagles as a potential solution.

I don't know if that counts as a huge plothole, but it's probably at least minor

Imho, the Tom Bombadil section was one of the best parts of the story. It had an awesome dreamy whimsical sort of tone that felt really different and out of place from the rest of the story.

the books (shitty) would've been much better (still shit) if fredo and samuel died and none of the eagles shenanigans and the shire shit happened

>entire country/region of mordor depicted as lifeless hellhole surrounding a volcano
>no crops or livestock in sight
>somehow the orcs are all well fed and even have understanding of the concept of menus
Tolkien? More like Hackien amirite?

>Wizard causes lightning and an avalanche from 1000 miles away
>Cant do something similar to the cliff helms deep is built into

Seems odd to me desu

It feels out of place because they literally just left the Shire and a sojourn in Bombadil's house doesn't feel deserved.

I've read Fellowship of the Ring twice and each time I couldn't bring myself to finish the series. It's a shame because I love reading about the lore of the series online.

>tfw the orcs were the good guys all along
>they just wanted to live a peaceful life

In the book the mountain is just pissed that the fellowship are on it. Nothing to do with Saruman

The eagles represent divine intervention in all of Tolkien's work so couldn't have just brute forced the ring to Mount Doom as that wasn't how the gods worked
Jackson at least alludes to this when he shows Gandalf offering a prayer in the form of whispering to that small bird before being saved from Saruman

what are these faces trying to convey

it even ruined the hobbit

He's cupping Elrond's balls

>have thousands of spy birds, one of the most useful things you could have in a medieval setting
>only show up in one scene

>and even have understanding of the concept of menus
Can you imagine a fucking orc restaurant? I bet they make the meal in front of the customers, including the butchering.

Still a big problem in the movie tho

Yeah, a lot more goes on than the films, and things that did make it int the films happen differently. It can be tiresome reading the descriptive parts of the scenery and stuff sometimes, but just soldier on and it's definitely worth it.

if ghibli hated legoland and wanted to get more kills than him why not just kill him at helmet's deep???

Well it was directed by a hack

Hello James.

this

Because he is a tsundere, he actually loves Legolas

Eagles would get BTFO'd by nazgul as soon as they got near Mt. Doom

>be entrusted with the ring
>offer it to literally three people in the first movie (Gandalf, Galadriel, and Aragorn)
>each one of them is the jackpot for the ring if it can corrupt them

Why was Frodo so shit at his job?

kek

>I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend
Yes, it does.

Being able to relinquish the ring was the only skill he needed though. If anything he started off too good

>Dwarfs (miners and blacksmiths), Orcs and Ogres living inside a cave for hundreds of years
>somehow dropping something and making a little noise is enough to awaken the cave demon

I thought it was already awake, the orcs just bolted whenever it came near.

Saruman had clearly gone completely mad with arrogance and pride, why use magic when you can use black powder and an army of 10,000 plus

its a moth you imbecile, and it flies to gwaihir the eagle to ask for his help.

>get on the eagles
>snipe orcs etc.
>It ain't me starts playing

What does Sup Forums think happened to the Entwives?

I like to think they built the shire

think it was around for a while since Balin noted the low levels were constantly on fire. It attacks at that moment because of the ring, since Sauron was a servant of Morgoth the same as the Balrog.

its easily explained
>there's almost no eagles left because like Elves they don't sex often
>does not seem worth to help since who cares about sauron
>oh shit those are some big battles
>damn even elves got involved
>okay we help now

We don't know the motivations behind the balrog. Balrogs probably aren't very smart of calculating, they're spirits of shadow and fire. Also, how would he know of the ring?

>tfw wanted a balrog in the final battle but it never came.

;/

>down syndrome: the thread
the eagles would have been shot down by ballistas

Why didnt the elves give everyone that same super armour they gave Frodo?

All the orcs were facing Abdullorn's caliphate army at the border

well one walking tree is seen in the shire during lotr so it's possible, though originally they settled east of mirkwood but the ents found it razed. Most are probably dead, Tolkien hinted that it was a hopeless search. Ents don't need wives to breed though, trees can become ents over time.

Balrog just wanted a friend

Because the fucking gigantic eye right up on the damn top of the tower would have spotted a bunch of gigantic birds flying towards him. You being a retard is not a plot hole on the movie's part.

I highly doubt the power of the ballistas is high enough to shoot javelins 10,000 ft up into the air

>you will never wake up a Balrog by tossing your chamber pot into his lair

That one was the last remaining, like Smaug was the last dragon.

he exists in the shadow realm like the wraiths so he can feel it like they can. THIS balrog probably doesn't seem smart since Morgoth was banished so its only instinct was to hide somewhere deep, the same as how Saurons servants scattered when he was defeated. Overall I think Balrogs are pretty intelligent and this one was extremely old.

the dwarves gave that to bilbo, not the elves to frodo. frodo only has it because bilbo passed it on to him

Why didnt Eric illuminati just make them stop? Muh free will or he likes them fighting?

>implying disembodied eye Sauron could do shit about it

>he exists in the shadow realm like the wraiths
Says who?
>Overall I think Balrogs are pretty intelligent
They never display much intelligence, they seem more like creatures consumed by passions.

and how were they supposed to get the correct trajectory to drop a ring in a volcano from 10,000 ft

Why didn't legolas just fly the bat with the ring into Mordor?

>Put ring into small and very strong box
>destroy the key to that box

Seems like that would have been a better way to transport it, rather than just wearing it around his neck where anyone could grab it

"The Eagles are a dangerous 'machine'. I have used them sparingly, and that is the absolute limit of their credibility or usefulness. "

Even old man Tolkien admitted that they were a crappy deus ex machina.

>gigantic fucking eye on the damn top of the tower doesn't spot Frodo and Sam very unsubtly approach and then sneak into Mordor
>but it totally would've spotted some birds a few hundred miles away

>wraiths have flying mounts
>ride on horseback to the Shire

Did the Balrog have to pay tax to the dwarfs and then the orcs? Was he tax exempt?

Eric Illuminati did help them. Gollum didn't fall by himself.
Sauron wasn't disembodied, nor was he a big eye on a tower.
You can't destroy the ring by dropping it in the caldera, you have to go where Sauron forged it.

They were incognito. Hence the cloaks

They evolved into hobbits

Why didnt melker keep the ring instead of the obvious and inevitable happening?

>incognito
>unsublty murder everyone they come across

>You can't destroy the ring by dropping it in the caldera, you have to go where Sauron forged it

[citation needed]

[Autistic screeching]

well, it's a creature of shadow and created by Morgoth himself, scarcely lower than Sauron. I think it's fairly obvious it would sense the ring. What exactly do the Balrogs do that suggests they aren't intelligent? They fought and often beat the elves in their hayday, literally the most intelligent capable people imaginable. The moria one doesn't know that Gandalf is istari and wouldn't imagine that he could destroy the bridge, expecially at risk to himself. Evil doesn't understand sacrifice.

Balrogs are Maiar, a class of angels/demons some of whom chose to serve Melkor while others didn't. He didn't create them, he just recruited some of them, including Sauron

>Gondor is right next to Mordor
>Aragorn's just defeated the armies of Mordor
>the bad guys are all retreating/dying
>Frodo passes out
>writing that Sam dragged Frodo out to a beacon such that a gondor scout patrol came and rescued them and brought back to Gondor, all while Frodo was asleep, was harder than just being like "and then the eagles saved them"
>hell, he could even have just written that Gandalf used his wizard powers to locate Frodo or Frodo's sword (if locating another living creature causes other plot holes) and then the gondor soldiers found them
How is Tolkien so respected?

Uh, Balrogs were Maiar that Morgoth sweet talked into joining his side, they are of the same people as Gandalf, Sauron, and Saruman. One of them was the commander of Sauron's army, so I highly doubt Balrogs were dumb.