What do you think about drastic redesigns? Do you think they can ever work or do you think they're generally a bad idea?

What do you think about drastic redesigns? Do you think they can ever work or do you think they're generally a bad idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5trceZcd4xI
youtube.com/watch?v=TQgmghQxWMI
youtube.com/watch?v=YM1_HaxkeU8
youtube.com/watch?v=bcQFW0OjFzw
youtube.com/watch?v=CcCS85tk_Ks
youtube.com/watch?v=i_K36y-iLUk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pic unrelated?

If the original is bad, I'm not against.

To be honest, the blue arms were a nice touch.

>BLUE ARMS

They work pretty good. I don't know why people hate the scarfs and bandages. I personally have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Besides, they were made specifically to show the audience that Sonic =/= Sonic Boom.

If it's for a one-off, dramatically different, AU retelling or something, go for it. Otherwise, if it ain't broke...

DON'T

This Sonic is a drastic redesign? The only person who got mad about this redesign was Chris-Chan, I believe.

But yeah, I generally like this kind of reimaginations. I particularly loves Rafael Grampá new designs for characters.

Here's a quick drawing I did for my idea for a Donkey Kong reboot

kek

It's contextual, some drastic redesigns are great some are shit.
It's pretty drastic he changes a lot of aspects like bodytype and clothing. I mean more so than previous redesigns at least.

He looks like he's trying to hard to be cool, but then again that pretty much sums up the character.

this is an improvement over a shitty design which was an unneeded redesign of the original good design.. so... it's better, but you can't call it a step in the right direction since the right direction is 'the old stuff'

better than the Rare designs. though leaving DK's soft-serve-flip alone misses the point.

This is the best sonic re design. Sonic Boom just looks too much more human than the others for some reason. I can't really put my finger on why either, I think maybe the face seems flatter

Don't tell Chris

the original designs they were proposing to Sega was so much more drastic. The ones we got for Boom are barely redesigns, Knuckles and Eggman got new builds and even everyone adjusted to that over time.

It might be that the blue arms and scarf make his shoulders more apparent. It makes it look like he's got a neck under the scarf.

meh it's ok

It all depends on the fan base.

The idea of a Sonic redign isn't inherently bad, but the Sonic Boom designs are just plain inferior to the previous ones. They added a bunch of unnecessary little details that clearly don't belong.

Why do those look so generically bad? It's a style a lot of western artists have and I'm not sure what it is.

They look like some disney mixed with looney toons animal character knock off.

It depends on whether or not the redesign sucks

Honestly, while I don't hate the final Sonic Boom designs, I do think they would have looked much better in 2D than in 3D.

I think Amy's was a success. Just took the original design and put it in a neat looking outfit that doesn't overly rely on bandages like the others. Tails kind of works too but I don't need it drilled in my head he's the mechanical genius.

The 1998 redesigns were pretty great, but the Boom designs add in a bunch of unnecessary features that just don't look good.

I don't usually hate redesigns, but Antoine's was a bad one. He had an awesome jacket, and then just got left with straps.

I actually like everyone's except Sonic. The others sorta highlight their main features and such but he's just wearing some random sports tape and a glove.

more human is good. sonic adventure redesign is terrible, he looks like a weird... random shape. like a bad warped drawing someone made.
real sonic is made of appealing geometric shapes.

funny you bring that up, anyone else fucking hate how rockman looked in smash? they fucked him up so hardcore, i don't understand it. he had a perfect already-chibi look and they did weird tweaks to it. as if they were jelly of capcom
don't even get me started on not using chibi cloud..

that's because her new outfit actually looks like a nice dress and shoes while her old one is a big poof-ass stupid dress and gay shoes.. and her original was pretty bad too but at least its head looked like a sonic character.
this is a drastically improved design, but antoine was shitpantsingly terrible to begin with. he now actually looks like a sonic character.

No way dude. The clothes are horrible They would look bad on anyone. Military jacket best jacket. He at least looked competent, not like those pleb rags he wears now

that's different, they're are all "Mega Man" but none of them overwrote another incarnation. They all coexist along the same 2 timelines.

I love Mega Man in smash. They were focusing one one aspect of Mega Man. He's not iconic particularly to video games as a whole, but Nintendo knows that, despite the franchises ups and downs, Mega Man got its start- and will always have a home - at Nintendo. They wanted to invoke the NES version of Mega Man.

Besides, that way he matches his portrayal in the latest game in his series.

I think redesigns can be pretty cool!

I liked how in the movie his spikes did that thing where they went up like in this pic

It looks nice.

I hate the fact that people are so stuck into the idea that W has to look like X to the point that Y and Z is heretical and how dare they try something new

Pretty much like how they are in the comics?

He looks like a male stripper in that outfit.

>blue arms

Delete this.

And scarf would make more sense on Tails since he's the pilot.

the thing I dislike the most about the Sonic Boom Sonic design is the blue arms make it feel more like he's wearing blue fullbody underwear.

The thing that make me laugh about the blue arms thing is that coloring sonic's arms blue used to actually be a really common animation/art mistake.
Now they can just claim that they were ahead of their time.

>That's different
No it's not faggot.

Christ, your pic looked so much better as a thumbnail.

Nah, he looks more like the Mega Man from the original artwork.

You do realize that they're all individual Mega Men right?
Volnutt isn't NES
X isn't EXE
Zero isn't ZX and so on.

So whatever happened to Chris-Chan, anyway? Did he die from fat yet?

Pretty much, yeah. Or how they were, seeing as the Sonic Boom comic was cancelled due to Archie's financial fuckery.

KIDS WON'T GET KNUCKLES IS STRONG AND DUMB UNLESS WE MAKE HIM LOOK HUGE

KIDS WON'T GET TAILS IS SMART UNLESS WE PUT A BUNCH OF TOOLS AND GOGGLES UP HIS ASSHOLE

I don't really have any thoughts about Sonic or Amy except that bandanas are a little 2000s, were these designs drawn ten years ago?

But Knux isn't dumb. He's just gullible
Boom made him clinically stupid

>Boom made him clinically stupid
GOOD THING WE MADE HIM HUGE OR ELSE KIDS MIGHT HAVE MISSED THAT HUH

What does being swole have to do with being stupid?

Boom Sonic's redesign is barely drastic
Knuckles got the most drastic redesign of them all

It's a stereotype, swole people are stupid, tiny frail people are smart. It operates on the dichotomy of "brain vs brawn".

It's wannabe disney/don bluth without having a full knowledge of the structures.

drastic designs seems to work only on really old characters and literally whos. Either characters nobody cares about so they won't complain if they change them

>But Knux isn't dumb. He's just gullible

>this is what Sonicfags actually believe

Sonic has always been shit so they didn't stray too far from that aspect to be considered a drastic redesign.

In fairness, while Knuckles was turned into an idiot, he was also turned into a hilarious idiot on the level of Michael J. Caboose and Ralph Wiggum. If you're watching Sonic Boom, chances are that you're doing it either for Knuckles and/or Eggman.

youtube.com/watch?v=5trceZcd4xI
youtube.com/watch?v=TQgmghQxWMI
youtube.com/watch?v=YM1_HaxkeU8
youtube.com/watch?v=bcQFW0OjFzw
youtube.com/watch?v=CcCS85tk_Ks

>KIDS WON'T GET TAILS IS SMART UNLESS WE PUT A BUNCH OF TOOLS AND GOGGLES UP HIS ASSHOLE
I spat up my drink.

Does the autism magnet that is Sonic deserve a good redesign though?

>Tfw finished marathonning Boom two days ago
God I should've watched that eons ago. It's fucking hilarious
Eggman best character hands down

That's just CD Sonic though.

Eggman is always the best character, user. It's a scientific fact.

B
L
U
E

A
R
M
S

See, Boom Knuckles is everything Sega was trying to make Knuckles in the games: stupid, jealous of Sonic's fame, the butt of jokes, and part of the main cast without the baggage of the Master Emerald.
With the added bonus of being actually funny and likable.

the scarf is good since it adds a new colour to sonic's design while breaking up the sea of blue the rest of him has.

Should have cut back on the tape a bit.

youtube.com/watch?v=i_K36y-iLUk

>Meanwhile, in the Archie-verse

I'm not caught up with the Sonic Archieverse, but is this yet another reboot? We've had like, two of those already

Well, I'm not very familiar with this stuff either, but from what I understand Sega wants Archie Sonic to be more in line with the games, so a lot of the new continuity deals with game adaptations and the like, following up on game characters, etc.

The implication of this being that it will adapt Sonic 1, though I'm not absolutely certain.

It's a separate thing for the 25th anniversary based on the classic style characters.

No, that's Mega Drive. This is an arc in the actual main Sonic book. See the little '288' at the side?

Wait, what? I'm so fucking confused now.

There will be at least two 25th Anniversary one shots done in the style of the classic Sonic games. No one knows if it will be canon to the main book.

This storyline features a similar art style, at least on the covers, but will definitely be canon and takes place within the main book itself.

I just googled around and apparently the two one shots are indeed canon to the rest of the Archie timeline. Crazy!

Seems like sonic continuity is one big clusterfuck.