Can someone explain why The Young Pope is a good show?

Can someone explain why The Young Pope is a good show?

>le edgy smoking Pope
>let's take the church back to the 1500s
>disjointed plot and pacing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cbb-mita0Hs
youtube.com/watch?v=DGkyDSM-JFc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because he evolves from "le edgy smoking Pope", as you put it, to become a better person. Tackling his insecurities and fears and developing relationships with people around him that he doesn't necessarily agree with, to further his own narrow world view. But note that his developing humanity doesn't mean he ever abaondons his own principles. He's still a conservative by the end of the season. There are no proclamations made within the show on what is politically wrong or right. The simplistic black and white morality that you see in everything else is tackled head on in TYP. Lenny is a deconstruction of the ultra-competent, edgy protagonist that has dominated television in recent years. Virtually every character in the show defies tropes and stereotypes. The contradictions within each and every figure in the series makes the show feel very human.

it's really not

the best thing about it is the cinematography, but even that is largely due to it being shot in the Vatican, which is a repository of artistic masterworks

They didn't shoot anything in the Vatican, it was all sets. Which is really impressive.

>Being this retarded neo/tv/ kid
>Can't even understand one of the masterpieces of the year.

You can always go back to where retards like you belong.

Has the young Pope gone off on a Jew tangent yet? That despot drama could grow dull. I gave it up after a few episodes but am no Papist.

>Jew tangent yet?

Favourite Young Pope scene/sequence?

youtube.com/watch?v=cbb-mita0Hs

This scene was really good. The whole series was amazing dammit. And Jude Law's monologues are boner inducing kino. I love the part at the end of this scene when TYP is on the plane looking after his "children," and the one man wakes up and the look on his face when he beholds the pope for the first time he looks happy, reassured but also deeply reverent etc. I can't explain it but it gives me nice feels

lenny's desk button.jpg

There is only one true answer
GIRL LOOK AT THAT BODY

youtube.com/watch?v=DGkyDSM-JFc

I usually hate stuff with lots of monologues but it works very well in TYP.

I just hate shows and movies that clearly fall in love with their own monologues

It's a good show because it subverts the audiences prejudices. The entire show is basically a pleb filter.

It's a great character study and its value only increases with subsequent viewings. I'll admit that the first few episodes make it hard to empathize with Lenny, but that changes over time. Did you watch the series in its entirety?

Well said.

I dont think you are supposed to empathize with him at first. I liked how the first half was almost entirely him just fucking with Voiello because he disliked/feared his influence
>We need to get rid of all child abusers from the church
>I agree. We also need to purge the homosexuals.
I do wander what would happen if he was tricked into signing a resignation. Surely that wouldn't actually end a papacy and Sister Mary would be pissed for having enabled that trick

THIS POPE FUCKS

I really like how in the first couple of episodes Voiello is set-up to be an archetypical villain and counterpoint to Lenny, but then the trope is totally subverted as Sorrentino starts exploring his humanity and contradictions. You soon realise there's no outright villain of the series.

You won't understand. People who don't like it should fuck off from this board.

>You soon realise there's no outright villain of the series.

What about the cunt in Africa who deprived the town of water

really great scenes

Voiello a real human bean

So was Lenny a legitimate saint?