Does anyone actually like Morlun and his posh vaguely powered vampire family?

Does anyone actually like Morlun and his posh vaguely powered vampire family?

I hate them and think they're a terrible thematic match for Spider-Man, but for all I know I'm the crazy one

I like Morlun.
His family not so much
Feels great having Spidey with a foe so out of his league

Nah man, they're shit. Morlun never felt like a real "Spidey Villain" and pretty much everything that he's in is made worse by his presence. Don't even get me started on his family.

I enjoyed the shit out of JMS Morlun. Everything in Spider-Verse could go eat several dicks though.

The only time I like Morlun is when spidey absorbed a bunch of radiation and forced M to eat it

"Fuck you, die of cancer"

Yeah, JMS Morlun wasn't a tryhard. Remember when his jeans made his butt look big?

I like them, but I want them to be a threat to everyone who would be considered a totem, rather than just Spiders, watching Morlun or one of his siblings go after other villains and having Spidey team up with them would be pretty fucking cool. I also feel like they are an alternate reality version of the Kravenoff family.

Oh shit, what if we had a Van Hellsing inspired mini about Kraven and his remaining daughter hunt down one of Morlun's kind? I'd fucking read it.

i think they are taki but i like them

Apparently Hudlin had Morlun wreck his way through Wakanda to get some Panther totem.

I wouldn't want to see them all the time or anything, but once in a while I think they make for a really alien, overwhelming and terrifying threat. Their look is sufficiently distinctive and interesting to set them apart both from other Spidey villains and from your run of the mill Marvel bad guys. And while the sort of decadent elitism schtick sort of overlaps with the Hellfire Club, pairing it with their no-nonsense, no-bullshit predatation keeps them kind of chilling and terrifying. They clearly see themselves as adults; dignified, serious adults who are just swatting down these children in their brightly-coloured costumes with no regard whatsoever to concepts of heroism or criminality; like they're just above it all and beyond it all, which for the most part they are.

Like I said, I wouldn't want to see them all the time, but I think that they make for a good "oh shit!" moment when they do turn up.

congratulations you did more to sell me on the concept of these characters than either JMS or Slott

I think he works in JMS stories, but I don't like Slott's Inheritors shit one bit.

And than T'Challa sealed Morlun's soul with Bast. So, technically, he couldn't have been in Spider-Verse. Granted, ignoring Hudlin is always the right thing, but still.

Your problem is that you're indoctrinated with the "spider hero needs spider villain" trope. shrinking hero needs shrinking villain, etc.
Or Ice hero needs fire villain.

Morlun being completely different is what makes it interesting.

I was hoping for the inheritors to ask who the hell Morlun was, and reveal that he wasn't even one of them.

Felt like he got reduced to a bit character, lost among the rest of his family.

Morlun was an okay villain in his original appearance. Did not love him or hate him.

In Spider-Verse he and his family was garbage villains.

>Morlun never felt like a real "Spidey Villain"

That's what I liked about him in his first appearence, it was the whole point of the arc, Spider-Man dealing with this thing that appears out of nowhere and has no business being in his mythos, thus giving him an adversary entirely alien to him that he can't defeat with the usual methods.

It works for an arc, and they should've left it at that, not bringing him back over and over again then adding this bullshit backstory and family of world conquering multiversal vampire.

He was alright, but his whole family being the same? That was pretty shit. I was really holding out for a surprise big bad towards the end but nope. Very shit resolution too.

His first storyline was GOAT, but everything else with him sucked ass. Should've been stayed dead.

see
During the time when he was introduced and just relentlessly hunted spiderman that was good.

Slott's version in spiderverse was shite.

I think he just dumped him in some Hell dimension, which he somehow escaped from (probably with help from his family) between his cameos in Scarlet Spider and Original Sin.

He should have stayed dead after his first storyline, or at least stayed away from Spidey.

Hell, the whole Spider-Totem thing should have died with Ezekiel and remained questionable, instead of becoming a huge unambiguous cluster fuck.

He doesn't need spider villains, but villains who are a good thematic match are good for any character. When Batman fights Mr. Freeze (the one whos sad about his wife and emotionally shut down and ruthless, not the one whos a crazy diamond thief) it's interesting because there's a connection between the two.

Granted, most of Spidey's villains are good for their action potential rather than their thematic sense, but Morlun and his Addams Family are boring in that sense too because they're just really strong fast and durable

They're really terrible, because they don't have any real link to Spider-man. Like, what does some strange Dracula-esque villain have to do with Spidey?

I might be dense, but I just don't get it. Even worse, Morlun's powers are very poorly defined: He seems to be basically invulnerable to anything except radiation. Why radiation?

For how deeply tied they are conceptually to the spidey-mythos, yeah i sure wish they were more thematically appropriate as well. Spiders vs Vampires, ok sure...

But in all fairness Spidey's arch-nemesis is a Goblin and his fans seem fine with that complete lack of thematic fit.

Figure out some way to equate spiders are the opposite or mirror of... what, fantasy monsters? and you could shoehorn in a poorly-fitting theme. Maybe.

Agreed

I like Morlun, but not all that spiderverse shit

i never really "liked" him in the JMS run, but he was a great threat and was amazing for the story that he was trying to tell, i didn´t mind him in the other either, but he´s nowhere near an iconic spidey villain and probably will never be since he´s so devoid of any personality, and i agree with the other anons , he and his family were atrocious in the slott run, but everything is atrocious in that run so eh

that is one of my favourite spidey moments

I thought his debut was okay, and while I didn't exactly care for his appearance in The Other, I didn't mind it (and it was rather satisfying to see Peter fuck him up after he broke MJ's arm). Spider-Verse soured me on him, however, and while I wouldn't be surprised if Slott somehow brought him back, I hope he and his pointless family stay locked up and forgotten.

He was basically Doomsday the first time he showed up, and it's been diminishing returns every time he's shown up again