Dumbing of Age

still marathoning this, holy fuck is this comic bad.

>willis made a parody of fucking psalty
WHY.

>ultra car and malaya
oh boy.

SEX TOYS LOL

oh my fucking god, willis, REALLY?

Dude, it's Willis.

I don't know why you're surprised that a fella who literally shoots crap and vomit all over himself when he's overstimulated, and who actually had that exact fear regarding masturbation, would be as embarrassing as possible under every circumstance and about every topic.

It's kinda creepy to think that a guy like Willis is making comics about teenage girls jacking off

where the fuck did this come from?

oh boy, two alcoholics enabling each other!

Remember that the girl who gets physically assaulted-- and if it had been a dude perpetrating the crime, you damn well know it'd be referred to as a sexual assault-- is the villain here!

Dude, Willis' entire fucking existence is a goddamn horror show. *And he has children.*

I dated a girl who came from the exact sort of lifestyle that DW did, and had the exact sort of guilt about the idea of masturbating. She still humped herself off with her bed every so often. She just felt awful about it afterwards.

gotta say, willis was decent at hinting at her being trans.

the alcoholics that drink together die of alcohol poisoning together.

what a good little christian.

he's okay at hinting at it, but he's awful at showing little hints through his art. Everyone apparently knows Carla is trans, even Mary, but she's drawn like every other female in the comic.

And Carla is trans Becky, she doesn't go around spouting "Guess what? I have a dick but identify as a lady!" So how did the whole campus find out?

She's probably meant to be not passable, but accurately portraying a monster awash in the wrong hormones would offend his readership.

Like always.

..huh.

who talks like this?

I liked this hairstyle better.

Why is Mary the only half-decent person in this entire fucking comic? Is Willis' goal to write a comic about a bunch of fuckhead degenerates?

Kek.

sarah is real, at least.

From last night.

This part would be the explicitly auto-biographical part. Especially the "My grandma in heaven is watching" bit.

Also, Vee-vee. Is Joyce five years old?

His existence also seems engineered to establish as much Internet Cred as possible. He got a girlfriend/wife to show that he Understands Women, and now has a kids to confirm that he is Officially an Adult, and has become a cool nerd dad.

And of course, discussing all the social, gender, and political hot button issues online.

Meh, I will give Becky's new hairstyle one thing, It's not just...Short Joyce. If this comic was in black and white the only way to tell them apart would be the hair length, eyes and the freckles.

such healthy relationships.
>tfw I'm a leafs fan

See. The biggest issue with DOA is stuff like this. You can say "oh that's not a healthy relationship" but I honestly wouldn't have even thought that if the comic didn't try to take such a moral high road all the time. I'd just be like "Boy I sure do like lesbians violently ragefucking"

again with drama out of nowhere. what the fuck?

why is fucking everyone gay?

Willis likes gay people. a LOT. Which I normally wouldn't have an issue with, considering I like lesbians. Again, it's the politics that he kinda gradually hamfisted into his comic made it obnoxious.

I'm a mixed-race bisexual whose best friends are a closeted bi dude(and my ex), a trans woman, and an asexual ex girlfriend who's into girls.

I'm fine with lesbians, but holy fuck, 80% of this cast is gay.

so she's on the spectrum?

Going off the tags there's 21 straight cis
And 14 not.
So just a little under 50 percent, but I'm also counting a lot of minor characters and villains in this. Also I just assume Malaya and Robin are gay in this universe.

oh boy, I've heard about this arc.

God. Toe dad is drawn so awkwardly. Like he just looks uncomfortable existing.

>In which Amber has been wearing the Amazi-Girl mask all night.

So has anyone in the DoA message board pointed out yet that Amber's gone of the deep end and submerged herself into her Amazi-Girl persona. Or are they trumpeting her for being Strong and Independent, to avoid insulting the Willis?

at least willis is self aware.

I miss well-adjusted Sarah. It's a bummer she'll never get to have a sensible fug.

Rememer when he made a shortpacked comic making fun of people who didnt understand what the snaller part of the dildo was for?

Lot's of people don't like her or how she interacts with others, a lot of other people think she gets to fuck with everyone and have everyone still love her because she has a mental disorder. I think she should be committed or at least enter therapy and then Ethan and Danny should fug.

EVILoutionist!
Checkmate athiests

oh boy, ALCOHOLISM!

It's way more annoying now that I look at how poorly drawn that thing is. Not only does the stimulator not really look like actual ones, the toy is also way longer at the base than where it penetrates, which isn't what most vibrators look like.

When did being mentally ill even become like...an oppression thing. No offense, but if you're a literal crazed bipolar person who puts themselves and others in danger, I think you need to just get help, because you're a dangerous and unpredictable person.

Stop trying to make it like being gay or black or something. Get some help or get away from me, because that's fucking scary.

I'm not usually one of those types of people, but
>that shirt
>that level of cleavage
>asian
My dick. Christ, what's wrong with me. It's just the idea.

hahahaha, that giveaway

If her friends cared about her at all they'd be encouraging her to get the help she clearly needs. Instead they are willfully blind or dancing around the issue because they don't want to cause"offence".
Maybe that'll be the point of the story, I guess will find out in another 5 years or so

I want to experience the various bases with Dina.

>she's drawn like every other female in the comic.

That doesn't make him noticeably different from any other male in the comic, save for Chad or Tyrone.
He's quite a bit taller and broader than most of the girls, which becomes apparent when he's throwing his weight around against mary

>roller derby team
>won't mind a man joining

Billie is kinda meant to be the hot one (other than Sal)and her slipshine is admittedly one of the better ones.

Liberalism in $The_Current_Year is all about enabling and embracing your self-destructive delusions. Just look at Carl (or you know, don't)

>Billie is kinda meant to be the hot one
She's meant to be hot, but was unable to get any action on campus cause she's kinda fat (and because of Danny). My immersion is completely broken.

does willis have crazy parent problems? I thought he was just a super rebel.

Carla's family is flush with cash. I just assumed Carla got the best transition that money can buy and the only reason everyone knows is because Carla's been around for a year already and there was probably a bit of controversy over it.

Can someone please explain how this happened?

I remember Ruth being a relentless sadist bully towards Billie, how did it end in lesbians?

they kinda sorta bonded over billy being an alcoholic and ruth also being an alcoholic. then billy found ruth almost drinking herself to death.

>does willis have crazy parent problems
That's like his whole thing, he resent his parents for raising him like a christian and not telling him that the world was a big place. When he went to college he was devastated to realize his view of the world was flawed and he still resent his parents to this day
so in this comic parents = bad and christians = bad

Wow

that's terrible.

Willis' parents, from his stories, are super fundie, religious, and probably a bit racist, homophobic, etc. They're your run of the mill conservative parents, but once Willis became incredibly liberal and got to a point where he could no longer see eye to eye with them, he opted to cut them out of his life.

I feel like he vicariously latches onto people with WORSE stories of parents and internalizes them, because I feel he subconsciously wishes he was more marginalized so that he can feel like he's on the "Right" side of things. He's the kinda guy who feels ashamed to be straight, cis and white. Like his own version of internalized racism.

>super fundie, religious, and probably a bit racist, homophobic
oh no. how terrible.

I'm not normally the type to say shit like this, but goddamn, fuck privileged white boys.

Gotta love people so blinded by their own bigotry they think they're progressive.

To be fair Carla is getting treatment, you may think it's the wrong treatment but that's not the same as ignoring the problem and hoping it will go away

amazing dialogue there, willis.

way to give toe dad some depth and maybe show some conflict for becky.

Ass-chart needed, baby! WOOO!

...goddamnit, and then this actually well-constructed page only a couple pages later.

why can't willis be consistently bad?

Honestly my big issue with the whole mental illness thing is it's the exact kind of stupid leap that people said people would make
"Make gay marriage legal, and suddenly marrying dogs will be legal"
"Allow people to be trans and suddenly people will be allowed to be dangerous psychopaths without treatment"
Like admit a problem is a problem and don't coddle it. Find a way to fix it the best you can and if you can't get them normal, then limit their interaction with people who are.

if the rest of DoA was like this I'd actually have more respect for it.

well-constructed panels, actual conflict, good dialogue...

and right back to the hack conflicts.

So THAT'S why he's called Toedad.

Y'know, coming from Louisiana, "Bless his soul, but..." translates to "Fuck that nigger, but..."

And in that context, her mom doesn't sound unreasonable at all. More importantly, the dumb bitch would know it meant that.

she still made comments in defense of toedad despite cussing him out. I get joyce's anger.

My experience with mental illness is that normal isn't really an option. But it is possible to manage it in a way that at least keeps you functional.
The problem is ill informed narcissists who insist the slightest personality quirk has to be pathologised. It's hard to say how common that really is when the internet is such an echo chamber but I hear it enough that it bothers me

...So empathy is dead for folks who speak clumsily and care about their entire community, gotcha.

Gender identity disorder doesn't make people violent psychopaths, it doesn't necessarily make them trans either. A lot of things involving transfolk is perception bias and co-option.

I kinda wish he'd have explored Amber's reaction to the attention Amazi-Girl gets.

Stripped of context it totally looks like Amber was waiting for everyone to leave so she could rip a massive fart.

I remember when this came out, fun thread.

when you literally just had a gun pointed at you and punched out a psycho who you thought was representative of you until recently?

empathy isn't going to be front and center in your mind.

This shit makes no sense.

WHO IS THINKING?

No offense, but if someone pulled a shotgun on me and my friend my mom would be like "What a piece of actual garbage, I hope he gets his ass kicked in prison"

so is the implication that being in love is helping ruth be less of a turbo-cunt?

Does anyone have the full Warboss Hamfist set?

"Fuck this nigger, but at least he THOUGHT he was doing the right thing.

I mean, put yourself in his shoes. He's worried about his daughter.

I would die for you, Joyce. I would die for you."

This coming from a person who ALMOST LOST THEIR FUCKING DAUGHTER.

If you don't see this as a statement of support and acknowledgement that people do unreasonable goddamn shit when their family is involved, then you are FUCKED in the head.

my god, he's MAKING AN EFFORT!

I don't know how many there are, but I've got 4

Mom is desperately trying reconcile the gun toting mad man on the news with her mental image of her friend and neighbours. It's a perfectly understandable reaction but not very helpful for Joyce

That's actually a really great strip. It reminds me of that edit some user did of the argument between Joyce's brothers that make everyone look reasonable but wrong.

>leaving in the dinosaur roar
>not replacing it with WAAAAAAAGH!
Well, it made an effort.

>dad is reasonable
>mom is....this
yeah, nah.

turns out her mom is a cunt.

Didn't Danny basically imagine calling his girlfriend a nagging bitch?