Shazam/Captain Marvel thread?

Shazam/Captain Marvel thread?
>hopes for Shazam Rebirth if and when it ever comes out?
>thoughts on series inspired by the big red cheese like Marvelman/Miracleman and Prime (Malibu Ultraverse)?
>What series have you read lately?

Other urls found in this thread:

freetexthost.com/1c3cije2m6
www17.zippyshare.com/v/APPUrTcj/file.html
www17.zippyshare.com/v/nrXv6OED/file.html
www17.zippyshare.com/v/magmygW4/file.html
www17.zippyshare.com/v/whKtFI4M/file.html
www17.zippyshare.com/v/0HTb19Sc/file.html
www17.zippyshare.com/v/EgmphNo2/file.html
www17.zippyshare.com/v/KrNHXwjV/file.html
www17.zippyshare.com/v/5z4BdDhK/file.html
www17.zippyshare.com/v/XiMIqNls/file.html
www17.zippyshare.com/v/rolsCGZ9/file.html
www57.zippyshare.com/v/Ya2zkixc/file.html
www41.zippyshare.com/v/Motwed8Z/file.html
www41.zippyshare.com/v/uO85jFF8/file.html
www41.zippyshare.com/v/FERNEY1Y/file.html
www41.zippyshare.com/v/SvNAQEuO/file.html
www41.zippyshare.com/v/P9mSkphD/file.html
www41.zippyshare.com/v/eV4lIAim/file.html
www57.zippyshare.com/v/o4qlR3fQ/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/0UQslr0z/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/S28PA0S9/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/CDDoSqiv/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/J3XsH7Fi/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/hA3cOMhE/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/ROAShFiB/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/0YskyMRE/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/ZTuCPsZG/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/cgVq5RtY/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/qFzybk38/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/0lGwh67M/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/i1F1ZCEr/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/4a1BlPUD/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/VryQz99V/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/h21Wx3lG/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/FCnIdKtK/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/lGAq1zoN/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/Jsc2mW0l/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/Fjvzh8i4/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/Cwe5Ocz5/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/fUVeFxHM/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/uxfZ0c79/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/RKNXB3uF/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/tLtzWvVd/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/21M5QnBK/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/oLarkyzJ/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/tMUGCIce/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/a0iNhoja/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/0PQvFRL9/file.html
www15.zippyshare.com/v/eC7aaIGI/file.html
www109.zippyshare.com/v/eQP75bSq/file.html
www61.zippyshare.com/v/YE7FdqUW/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Posting some fan art to keep the thread alive

after so long with a promise for an ongoing I'll be up for anything, but i still really want the thunderkids to be aknowledged and the new pantheon too.

>thoughts on series inspired by the big red cheese like Marvelman/Miracleman and Prime (Malibu Ultraverse)?
they are good as their own thing as long as the don't just re do same stuff Cap has been doing already. I'm familiar with Marvelman but IDK how Prime is beside just seeing some pictures of him and he looks kinda dumb by what i have seen, i know he tecnically is more of a Superman homage but i feel Superior also covers a lot of elments that make Captain Marvel memorable.

>What series have you read lately?
nothing particularly new, i was re reading thunderworld and the 90's ongoing of power of shazam.

>they are good as their own thing as long as the don't just re do same stuff Cap has been doing already. I'm familiar with Marvelman but IDK how Prime is beside just seeing some pictures of him and he looks kinda dumb by what i have seen, i know he tecnically is more of a Superman homage but i feel Superior also covers a lot of elments that make Captain Marvel memorable.

Prime is indeed a Shazam homage. The lead is a genetic test tube baby that can create "shells" inspired by his idealized image. Unfortunately his "shells" are solely based on his ego and self-confidence and will turn into a copley mush if he looses a fraction of it, making the kid sufficate

This

The Golden Age Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman omnis give me hope that DC will put one out for Captain Marvel

Classic, military coat, or Hood?

Classic all the way.

Cap's costume is magical; it doesn't have to be 'realistic' or 'practical.'

If you ask me, he should look as out of place in team-shots as the Martian Manhunter.

Storytelling Shazam's Darkseid War oneshot, because why not.

Shazam! ~ Trials of Shazam! ~ Shazam! The New Beginning ~ DC Comics Presents Shazam! 1 & 2 ~ Outsiders - Katana/Shazam! ~ Superboy/Supergirl Plus The Power of Shazam + Shazam! – The Monster Society Of Evil (RacerX-DCP scans)

Clickable pastebin
>freetexthost.com/1c3cije2m6

No real hopes. I think Johns is just waiting for someone to pitch him the slightly darker and more serious Shazam that he knows is possible. Until then, Johns just won't feel comfortable putting Shazam in the limelight.

I suppose it's like wanting a darker-ish Batman from the 70s-80s after the campy Batman show got cancelled and after people were tired of a lame Batman....which is kind of silly to think about, since people still *highly* enjoy the "whitebread" Shazam of before.

It's not. Dwayne Johnson's casting was done in 2007, and while he hasn't really changed, he's getting older and etc etc. I'm sure he'd still get paid if a movie got made, but I don't think he'd actually be used at this point. Not looking to it happening this decade at all.

There has been talk of other castings lately but nothing's confirmed, and once again it's a case of if you don't hear about it in detail at SDCC, it's not happening for at least another year. A logo on a panel isn't happening; confirmed castings, confirmed shooting dates, these are things that would mean it was happening. As we're now in 2016, not happening this year would mean 2019 would look unlikely (unless they're going super low budget - and WB could use a mid-range entry between the big-budget universe and the tv universe), no announcement at SDCC2017 would mean not happening for that 2019 date (but we'll all have forgotten by next year anyway).

The truth is a lot of movies, even announced movies with stars and directors attached, just never happen. The funding never arrives, someone key to it all pulls out, whatever.

Until it's happening, there's nothing you can really say about hopes for content or style or what have you.

These are valid points, but holy fuck do I love double breasted jackets

>Shazam
>Darker and more Serious

So take everything that makes the Marvels unique?

Oh how I'd love for a full Captain Marvel book drawn by Doc Shaner. Convergence isn't enough.

>>What series have you read lately?
I'm reading the Nu52 backup stories in Johns' JL and though I'm enjoying it, I got to say, I really hate dickhead Billy Batson. Just the complete opposite of traditional Billy. Don't care for Gary Frank's art either, at least with that colorist. Though I can't wait to get to the Thunderkids (I'm just a few issues away).

Thunderworld is probably the best modern Captain Marvel story.

Good thing he was talking about a potential Captain Marvel Rebirth book then.

The End.

Feels like he has no place in this age.

>that doctor light line
did billy get raped?

Thanks

Multiversity shaman was fantastic make me whish they'd give Morrison free reign over a thunder world shazam series

>Good thing he was talking about a potential Captain Marvel Rebirth book then.

whoops

just kind of assumed that was the title they'd been throwing around

i have no hopes for that book, i think the entire concept of trying to continue a character whose last major popularity was 70 years ago is foolish, and we all know they're doing it as a fuck you to Marvel anyway

if that's all they want, they could just print a 22 page book of DC characters saying fuck you to Marvel

it's not that old characters can't have a following even after long periods out of print or being sold on repeatedly, look at Dan Dare - still going as an independent thanks to the fanbase - but again, look at Dan Dare - so obscure that Jonathan Hickman assumed it must be public domain by now

eventually even Dan Dare will come to an end, though, and it's not exactly the biggest of sellers as it is

DC need to accept that the problems Shazam has are largely of their own making and stop trying to push it as the next big cross-platform IP

This costume will never not look godawful. It's just needlessly busy on a suit that's supposed to be inherently simple. The Flash suffers from the exact same problem.

I through they did and that I owned one, but maybe I'm mistaken about what you mean - the book I have compiles stuff written for the character under DC, starting with the "awakened from suspendium" story, and later including stuff with the likes of Lex uthor.

No hood.

Military works well for me, gives the whole thing a more solid look.

Then again, considering how his sister's outfit is known to have changed color a few times, the shape should be able to change on a whim too.

Johns seems to love Black Adam and scenes where the guy dismembers someone in a big splash page, and dealing with Captani Marvel/Shazam feels like a cost of entry for him - he should just detach those character more and leave Batson for somene who cares, like Parker and Shane.

>Captain Marvel
So he's not a dc character?

This one-shot felt like the best Captain Marvel story in a while. I'm sad that he's generally underused but I like New god powerset he was given.

Morrison's take on the wizard, Sivana and the Rock of Eternity was great, not too sure about his take on the Captain himself on the long run.

I wasn't aware of this Dan Dare - thing - some fans got the rights to keep publishing new stories, or reprinting the old ones?

He had that name before Marvel had its current name - back then they were known as Timely.

Can't help but wonder if Captain's popularity at the time encouraged them to change names...

What was wrong with the Captain?

Nothing wrong, just not much interesting focus, I guess - even less in a later Multiversity issue where the Marvels impaled a creature with Sivana's artificial Rock of Eternity - they were barely on panel for that, a bit after a prior issue where they were briefly shown giving chase to Sivana(s).

Seems like that was mostly to set up that Multiversity team by the end that includes Mary Marvel, but she barely got any dialog either in the process.

I think Captain Marvel has a more-than-solid place in today's market. Because as much as people want to push the gritty, edgy hero as being "cool" and "subversive" to the standard hero... that very same subversiveness has BECOME the new face of heroes. Stories about the people who protect, serve and save have become stories about arrogant, snide and petty people who happen to do good with their power. But usually, more often than not, the good they do is just the side-effect of their personal vendetta against somebody worse than they are.

I think Captain Marvel still has his place today. Perhaps today moreso than ever before, because optimism, righteousness and goodwill can be a very refreshing change of pace from what we've now grown accustomed to. We don't just need stories about heroes. We need stories about a hero with a SMILE on his face. A hero who's a hero in spirit AND in action. Somebody who believes that even his worst nemesis can be redeemed. And then, even if it's fleeting, his hope and faith is shown to be justified.

Captain Marvel's the good guy we need, to have a story about the good guys again. At least that's how I feel.

"Whitebread" Shazam has always been some pleasantville bullshit to me.
That's not how a kid acts and it's wasn't really a fun portrayal of a superhero either.

Oh, God, no. DC have no idea what they're doing. I don't want them touching the Shazam Family at all unless they just hand them to a good writer and leave them alone for a couple years. Leave them out of events, leave them out of Nu52/Rebirth/Total Ultimate Final Crisis/whatever, and just let 'em be cool

That's the character

Why change the fuckin' character? Just go read Miracleman if you want grimdark deconstruction

And people wondee why DC doesn't give Shazam a monthly. Because of nostalgiafags would rather be able to bitch than to see something being tried.

>that's the character
No it's not, the character is supposed to be about how a good kid says a magic word to become a superhero, bot how Gallant from goofus and gallabt would act with superpowers.

I loved Thunderworld. Hope to see an ongoing in this vein.

Power of Shazam was fine and true to the character without being whitebread

Then who the fuck is this character for user? Cause it's not for kids because kids don't want to read about some whitebread square who acts like he's from the 50s.

Why didn't they change it to Captain Thunder?

Billy can be a great kid without needing to act as a paragon of moral virtue in every situation.

Even Jesus got angry.

If you want to try something, make a NEW FUCKING CHARACTER. Might as well make him gay, too. There aren't enough gay superheroes. And take away the magic, too. Magic is old school. Oh, and remove the costume. Give him a hoodie instead. Gotta get that urban demographic

Like, he is who he is. You buy the character, you put a comic out starring him, it should be him. Yeah, he's a relic from the fuckin' 40s. So what? Might as well try to change The Shadow

Multiversity was not a book about any one person. At times, the President Superman character was given prominence, at other times, it was any number of other characters (for example, the Atlantean Queen from Earth 11, Captain Carrot, the Savage Dragon avatar for DC, etc.). So the fact that Mary Marvel 'barely' got dialog isn't really a point one way or another. Thunderworld was a great story, it showed Billy as a distinct personality and how Billy and the Captain solved the particular problem of that issue by working together in both roles of the heroic personality. I'd disagree with you that it did not serve as a good "Captain" story.

>And take away the magic, too.

DC's done the opposite of this, though. They've given him way more magic in N52. Does this upset you?

>You buy the character, you put a comic out starring him, it should be him.

user, this may shock you, but characters that have been around for more than 70 years may often have more than one valid take on the basic concept of the character.

I don't think that many people would be happy if Supes and Bats could only ever stay true to their original 1930s incarnations.

You're literally championing for stagnation user.

>make him gay
I WOULD NEVER! Freddie on the other hand tho...

I wanna read a story about this guy.

I bet you're a faggot who saw 1 page of Curse of Shazam and permanently wrote off new 52 Cap

Captain Marvel isn't Superman and he isn't Batman. He hasn't had an ongoing comic for 80 years. See, what you did here was do a false equivalency, even though I provided a good one with The Shadow, who hadn't changed in 80 years at all

You know what? I hope you get your grimdark Shazam bullshit. It'll be just as impactful and interesting as Evil Mary Marvel was. Boy, she sure left a legacy, didn't she

That is be okay with. I wonder how an American gay love comic would do. DC could start a bishonen yaoi genre over here with Gay Elvis

>he hasn't had an ongoing comic for 80 years
CASUALS OUT
YOU DO NOT ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THIS CHARACTER YOU FUCKING WIKIPEDIAFAG

>He hasn't had an ongoing comic for 80 years.

He's had enough ongoings to make it fully apparent that he doesn't need to be a fucking saint literally every walking moment in order to tell a good Captain Marvel story. You HAVE read Power of Shazam, right, user? Or was even that too much for your delicate sensibilities?

>N52 "Billy has some abandonment issues and then saves Christmas" Shazam
>N52 "Billy chills with Cyborg" Shazam
>grimdark

Loving
Every
Laugh

user, he just means that Billy hasn't continuously had an ongoing.

>implying I don't want an evil mary marvel
I just want her to get corrupted by the darkness and see her cheery smile turn cruel so bad you guys.

Let's stop talking to that faggot and talk about PoS.

Did they reprint any of it besides the two 100 page spectaculars? I have those at least but I hope they get to doing 10+ issue collections like some of the other 90s stuff has been getting.

The movie will likely happen because it's New Line, it's a bit differentiated from the Snyder-verse in that regard plus New Line wouldn't be adverse to some tent pole options.

The financial and critical push back on BvS probably put a cork on most things, but they are spending money having multiple scripts written on Aquaman, etc., so it's not a reluctance to spend money on DC Comics IP. I think you are right that The Rock won't really probably have too much of a role but his age, as Black Adam, really won't be an issue. He can be a lot older than Captain Marvel.

This is just speculative art that Shaner worked on for his own blog.

>I really hate dickhead Billy Batson

My real issue is that the Billy depicted (who wouldn't need to have a 'gee whiz' white bread too good to be believed kid) but as written by Johns there seemed absolutely no reason for the Wizard to select Billy after discarding so many other people for clearly minimal reasons other than he was running out of time.

Johns had had a boner for him since the 52 series. Not sure if he actually wrote or was responsible for most of the use of Adam and Osiris in those, but I suspect that this is what would really get him going in an on-going. I really don't have an objection to that, but that's not a focus I would want to see in an ongoing.

He had the name, Fawcett went out of business, Timely became Marvel and they brought out their Captain Marvel and trademarked the title for an ongoing comic and when DC bought the rights from Fawcett, it was too late for someone to trademark the name. So the early solution was to use Captain Marvel inside, but Shazam on the covers. In the last decade, they've stopped that and just called him Shazam, except for Morrison.

>PoS.
The Power of SHAZAM! 001 (1995) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www17.zippyshare.com/v/APPUrTcj/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 002 (1995) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www17.zippyshare.com/v/nrXv6OED/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 003 (1995) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www17.zippyshare.com/v/magmygW4/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 004 (1995) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www17.zippyshare.com/v/whKtFI4M/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 005 (1995) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www17.zippyshare.com/v/0HTb19Sc/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 006 (1995) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www17.zippyshare.com/v/EgmphNo2/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 007 (1995) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www17.zippyshare.com/v/KrNHXwjV/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 008 (1995) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www17.zippyshare.com/v/5z4BdDhK/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 009 (1995) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www17.zippyshare.com/v/XiMIqNls/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 010 (1995) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www17.zippyshare.com/v/rolsCGZ9/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 011 (1996) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www57.zippyshare.com/v/Ya2zkixc/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 012 (1996) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www41.zippyshare.com/v/Motwed8Z/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 013 (1996) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www41.zippyshare.com/v/uO85jFF8/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 014 (1996) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www41.zippyshare.com/v/FERNEY1Y/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 015 (1996) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www41.zippyshare.com/v/SvNAQEuO/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 016 (1996) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www41.zippyshare.com/v/P9mSkphD/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 017 (1996) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www41.zippyshare.com/v/eV4lIAim/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 018 (1996) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www57.zippyshare.com/v/o4qlR3fQ/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 019 (1996) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/0UQslr0z/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 020 (1996) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/S28PA0S9/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 021 (1996) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/CDDoSqiv/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 022 (1997) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/J3XsH7Fi/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 023 (1997) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/hA3cOMhE/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 024 (1997) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/ROAShFiB/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 025 (1997) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/0YskyMRE/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 026 (1997) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/ZTuCPsZG/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 027 (1997) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/cgVq5RtY/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 028 (1997) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/qFzybk38/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 029 (1997) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/0lGwh67M/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 030 (1997) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/i1F1ZCEr/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 031 (1997) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/4a1BlPUD/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 032 (1997) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/VryQz99V/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 033 (1997) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/h21Wx3lG/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 034 (1998) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/FCnIdKtK/file.html

The biggest problem with Curse of Shazam is that the wizard would have just picked Mary.

The Power of SHAZAM! 035 (1998) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/lGAq1zoN/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 036 (1998) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/Jsc2mW0l/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 037 (1998) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/Fjvzh8i4/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 038 (1998) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/Cwe5Ocz5/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 039 (1998) (digital) (F) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/fUVeFxHM/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 040 (1998) (digital) (F) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus-HD)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/uxfZ0c79/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 041 (1998) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/RKNXB3uF/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 042 (1998) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/tLtzWvVd/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 043 (1998) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/21M5QnBK/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 044 (1998) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/oLarkyzJ/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 045 (1999) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/tMUGCIce/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 046 (1999) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/a0iNhoja/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 046 (1999) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus-HD)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/0PQvFRL9/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 047 (1999) (digital) (OkC.O.M.P.U.T.O.-Novus-HD)
www15.zippyshare.com/v/eC7aaIGI/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! Annual 001 (1996) (digital) (Glorith-Novus-HD)
www109.zippyshare.com/v/eQP75bSq/file.html

The Power of SHAZAM! 1000000 (1998) (digital) (DreamGirl-Novus)
www61.zippyshare.com/v/YE7FdqUW/file.html

That's because Billy had something that those losers didn't and it's spunk.
Young boyish spunk.

ty m8

>Captain Marvel isn't Superman and he isn't Batman. He hasn't had an ongoing comic for 80 years

We're talking two different things here. user here: stated
>but characters that have been around for more than 70 years

He didn't talk in print, so you're both (or whomever is continuing this argument) making/raising different issues.

Captain Marvel was out of print from about 1950 to 1970. In that time, there was further changes to Superman and Batman (and to other characters, such as the Flash and Green Lantern, which went to more Science Fiction basis versus magic/real basic SF origins/villains, etc.)

Shazam! - The New Beginning came out in 1987. Then we ha to wait for Power of Shazam! in 1995, and The Trials of Shazam in 2006.

But he was otherwise use in numerous places and has some 1700 issue appearances (which you can compare to current it people like Squirrel Girl or Venom with far, far less).

bump

It's same issue with Green Lantern.

>My real issue is that the Billy depicted (who wouldn't need to have a 'gee whiz' white bread too good to be believed kid) but as written by Johns there seemed absolutely no reason for the Wizard to select Billy after discarding so many other people for clearly minimal reasons other than he was running out of time.
Oh shit, that's a good point.

Seriously.

There has never been a reason for the wizard not picking Mary first.

In CoS the Wizard and Billy mirror each other through their rejection of others for minimal reasons. Ultimately they're both forced to trust and have faith in those they'd otherwise have rebuffed.

I'm not attached to Billy being the Captain and Mary being his sister with the powers. I've not really read too many of the GA titles and I'm more familiar with the Greatest Hits compilations of those (like Shazam through the 40s and 50s I think is what I have scanned, or something like it) and the rest of the issues, and it pretty much feels to me that they are reasonable comparable to some extent.

But I also don't see that Mary was worthy as written by Johns. Essentially, Johns wrote: "OK, I'm the wizard, I'm looking, and looking and all these people are petty, self-involved a-holes and I can't find anyone worthy, let's see, close your eyes and just throw a bolt and see where it lands"

New Pantheon Billy is best Billy. I want to see more of it

Cast the upcoming film. We already got The Rock as Black Adam