Taboos in Comics

What are some comics featuring single mothers? How often are they vilified, or portrayed positively? Is the current state of their portrayal a good thing overall?

Other urls found in this thread:

content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1994480,00.html
google.com/search?site=&source=hp&ei=tkhzV62ZJoPJmAGltIaIBw&q=single mothers crime&oq=single mothers crime&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.12..0l2j0i22i30l2.1614.7102.0.7687.22.21.1.11.11.0.136.2135.6j14.20.0.eprnk,token=oa.2..0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-hp..1.21.1087.3..46j35i39j0i131j0i131i46j46i131j0i20j0i46.UFR-FtRBJoE
theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2012/11/single-moms-cant-be-scapegoated-for-the-murder-rate-anymore/265576/
huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/01/14/lesbian-couple-pregnant-same-time_n_8976696.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No one is interested in comics about single mothers.

When is the media ever going to portray single mothers as bad? even though like 80% of criminals were raised by single mother or lesbian parents

So who was the father?

dude what happened with that comic about a black mother trying to help her kid son live a normal life while he develops super power.

it's a super cute indie comic with good art. but it been a while since i saw anything about it.

Sperm donor.

miles morales.

Spider-Woman doesnt even count as a single mother

Other than the fact that she used to hate babies, she never takes care of her kid; She leaves it to Porcupine. Shes never at home, shes either clubbing with her friends, fighting crime, or inter dimensional fighting, all while convincing herself that she cares for the child.

Truly a disgusting person, and an even worse mother.

>criminals were raised by single mother
Probably more to do with being poorfags than the mothers
>or lesbian parents
[citation needed]

>lesbian parents
not the best kind of parents.

:^)

Some of them are villains. Although most single parent villains are male, and child molesters to boot.

>forgetting about the lesbian parents who made their 5 year old cut his cock off

it almost like they never got the chance to prove themself.

I'm still mad about that. Fuck shogo. Send him away like all the other x babies

Victor Mancha from the Runaways was raised by a single mother until she was killed by a Doombot. He canonically has a big dick.

best
kind
of
parents

the tranny

It would be more disgusting if she didn't arrange for the child to be cared for, or abused it because she didn't have the means to and wouldn't give it up for adoption. There are degree of disgusting on this topic, and Spider-Woman isn't in the top tiers by a long shot.

because males will just rape them duh.

I wish I knew what you were talking about. It sounds interesting.

Did that post just get deleted for sexism?

More like off-topic, I'd bet.

content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1994480,00.html

Kids of lesbian parents tend to be more emotionally healthy

Why did she want to have a kid at all?

hasnt been explained, even though years and years of development have shown us that she despises children.

I blame Spider-Verse for giving her "PTSD" so bad, her personality changed to hinder her more.

Also Sue Storm best MILF

>taboos
Peter Parker being happy.

>Fantastic.
God Parker that's too cheesy.

Stop posting, Mafesto. Your dimension's IP range is b& for a reason. We know when it's you.

She had a pregnancy scare and then realized how much she wanted kids.
That's the explanation so far.

Out of universe though, the explanation is Hopeless and his wife just had a baby even though they didn't want one before, so he's using that to write Jess' POV

>Hopeless
All I know about this guy is that he killed off a bunch of teenage characters in a book no one read anyway, and ruined the Runaways. Has he ever done good work?

Nope. Even his Secret Wars minis sucked all sorts of dicks.

>Mafesto

It's weird that a race that reproduces by a queen laying eggs would give any special quarter to pregnant women to begin with.

thump

bump

Holy Shit. How did that ended?

Next page? I am genuinely curious how Jen answers this question.

If I had to guess, I would think she'd say either Cap, Thor, or Hercules.

I don't think she explicitly answers the question, but she does promptly get back with her ex.

>That bottom right panel

lesbians also beat the shit out of each other more than any other match of pairs, so yeah.

At the time, she was unimpressed by Cap.

>Has he ever done good work?
His X-books are pretty good. Cable & the X-force and Secret Wars: Inferno in particular.

jump

Well Farscape had a pregnant woman as the villain in the movie finale, and the comic continuation had had give birth. But in the series she wasn't pregnant, does that count?

Pfft, they're no Ragyou.

Lyta Hall in Sandman.

Wasn't there a Batgirl who got pregnant?

POST MORE OF THIS COMIC

i need to feed my preg fetish, as i know little about the context i like to think the green guy got all of those women pregnant

are there any more pages of the other pregnant women?

Steph did back when she was Spoiler but she gave the baby up for adoption.
And then there's this

The green 'guy' is a Skrull. It could impregnate or be impregnated by nearly anything. But Invincible sounds more up your alley. Lots of super-breeding in that.

You'd think as a super spy, she'd be better at concealing her emotions.

Spider-Man 2099 had a psycho cunt single mom who faked her daughter's death just because she didn't like Miguel, who was her daughter's boyfriend.

Even in the future F.O.E.

The confrontation between Bruce and Dick was priceless. Bruce is just smirking when Dick walks away. Batman fucking his surrogates is creepy as hell and hilarious at the same time.

I lost my parents. Better go through extreme masochism, Munchhausen syndrome, and Munchhausen-proxy syndrome! While I'm at it let me sleep with them too. Then again who wouldn't fuck Barbara?

I was raised by a single mom and im fine

Do you guys just dilude yourself with media or what?

The real question is, why did she continue heroing in her state that is not healthy

He's not doing a good job at it. The fucking baby doesn't even have a name.

You're shitposting on the Sup Forums comics and cartoons board, failing to counter statistical evidence with a made up personal anecdote.

You obviously did not turn out "fine".

She has a super power that compels people to love and care for her, and super strength and agility as a backup.

>statistical evidence
(you)

google.com/search?site=&source=hp&ei=tkhzV62ZJoPJmAGltIaIBw&q=single mothers crime&oq=single mothers crime&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.12..0l2j0i22i30l2.1614.7102.0.7687.22.21.1.11.11.0.136.2135.6j14.20.0.eprnk,token=oa.2..0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-hp..1.21.1087.3..46j35i39j0i131j0i131i46j46i131j0i20j0i46.UFR-FtRBJoE

Here, take your pick, since whatever source I give you'll dismiss, because your deadbeat mom did a horrible job of raising you.

What the fuck are you talking about?

theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2012/11/single-moms-cant-be-scapegoated-for-the-murder-rate-anymore/265576/

That isnt even me you autist
Talk about overeacting senpai, chill dawg are you sure im the one whose not find

(((philip cohen)))

The entire argument is "the overall crime rate has gone down, so it doesn't matter that almost every criminal is from a single mother household".

preg thread?

A single parent household isn't the only predictor of criminal behavior. There are a multitude of factors that come into play, such as low performance at school, substance abuse, few social bonds, deliquent peers. It isn't a simple causal relation.

>low performance at school, substance abuse, few social bonds, deliquent peers

Being raised in a single parent household can directly contribute to all of these things due to the hugely increased chance of living in poverty, or, alternatively, neglect due to the parent being at work to stay out of poverty.

Those factors do indeed interact with each other, but to say growing up without a father causes crime is a statement far too bold.

There are also different perspectives/theories that look for the cause of crime elsewhere.

pic from: Farrington, D.P. (2003). Developmental and life-course criminology: key theoretical and empirical issues – the 2002 Sutherland Award Adress. Criminology, 41 (2), pp. 221-255

Are you seriously implying that in 2016 single mothers are not a disastrous plague?

That's a very bold claim, user.

SCALPED

>Hopeless and his wife just had a baby even though they didn't want one before

And here I just figured it was because either the writer or the artist had a pregnancy fetish.

The Pro by Garth Ennis, Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti has to be top of your list.

Probably better than my hetero ones.

This Sup Forums nigga we only deal in memes and statistics everything else may as well don't exist

She decided to have a baby on a whim and then leaves her baby for others to take care. She's like those people that want a cute puppy, but then stop caring about said puppy after a few days.

She was only shown doing it once, and Carol bitched at her about it.

Then Skrulls invaded the hospital she was in.

Gerry, like in MC2.

Reminder that Powergirl was impreganted by the actual DC Universe.

He's saying its more complicated than your cause of the week.

I legitimately can't believe the mystery of the father was "sperm donor".

Like fuck should that even be allowed? It seems ridiculously reckless.

Seeing as how lesbian parents can't accidentally have a kid, yeah, I'd say they are above average. The extra effort that goes into having a kid also means they appreciate the kid.

plus they can do neat things like this

huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/01/14/lesbian-couple-pregnant-same-time_n_8976696.html

That makes sense. Sexual dimporphism more or less keeps men and women in line. Women know they can't take on their husband in a fight and men are told not to hit women.

When the couple is the same sex actual fist-to-face fights aren't taboo. Also I would imgine lesbians are particularly bad because they are two women. Two synchronized women. Men know how to talk out their differences and just one fight goes a long way. With women they learn nothing and the fight never ends.

That doesn't seem well thought out. One should be non-pregnant so someone can help out with the pregnant one.

I hope her kid comes back from the future and kills her. Rapist cunt.

>Two woman pregnant at same time
>neat

This is retarded.

>I legitimately can't believe the mystery of the father was "sperm donor".

I can. It was clear from the beginning that Hopeless doesn't see the baby anything than a prop to use an excuse to have Spiderwoman and other characters coo over her pregger-belly and baby, have cliche/shallow "wacky" pregnant and baby problems, and generate unlikely plots and scenarios revolving around multiple pregnant women that otherwise wouldn't happen.

Is someone paying these people, like nannies and butlers? Did someone of means agree to it, thinking that her work to defend the common good ought not to be hindered? She actually does have unique genetics worth preserving. There are extenuating circumstances in her case for such behavior.

Eh, if they're rich it's fine.

I know that this is unrelated, but Matt from SBFC loves the new Spider Woman run. Just thought you'd like to know

There's nothing wrong with a fist fight between friends, let alone same sex lovers. Violence is not some dark and terrible thing when there isn't a huge difference in strength and it's not deadly. It is not the same thing as abuse.

The main problem is that she decided to have a baby out of nowhere, because she wanted it badly, to the point of getting a sperm donor, but then after the baby was born she doesn't have any time to actually enjoying being a mother and the baby she spat out.

I mean, at least do a time-skip showing how she enjoyed the fuck out of the experience for a few years, but then decided to resume her life as a private investigator.

>she decided to have a baby out of nowhere, because she wanted it badly, to the point of getting a sperm donor, but then after the baby was born she doesn't have any time to actually enjoying being a mother and the baby she spat out.

actual people do this in reality.

But she's doing this by choice, not necessity.

no, I'm saying actual women get themselves knocked up because they want a baby out of nowhere and then do nothing but bitch and complain when the baby arrives and don't take care of it.

Now granted, that doesn't make your protagonist very endearing, but it wouldn't be Hopeless if he didn't fuck up somehow

At least she agonized over it somewhat in #5. But I guess it's a comic, you gotta do superhero stuff.

>do a time-skip
You'd have to make the whole thing happen in the past to begin with for it to jive up with the rolling present of the rest of the universe.