US claims to be multicultural

>US claims to be multicultural
>They all live segregated

Is this true Americans? I have family in Maine and they say their neighbourhood is like 99% white.

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There are no minorities in Maine

multicultural actually implies in segregation. Brazil is a multi ethnic but homogenous culturally to the point of racemixing

There is some variation but yes American cities are generally very racially segregated. The suburbs are unironically more racially and culturally integrated

that's because Maine is like 99% white

How is this segregation maintained. What is enforcing it?

I am

The people themselves

Black people hate whites and want to live by other black people so they move to the neighborhood that has a reputation as 'the black part of town', and the white people move out of that area for the same reason

Not segregated enough

People and money.

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

That article is extremely long

tl;dr in the 50's when suburbs started becoming a thing, realtors only sold houses to white people because selling to black people, even middle class black people, decreased home prices because everybody was so fucking racist. In addition, the Federal Housing Administration subsidized home purchases by white people, but not black people.

Today nondiscrimination laws mean that neither of these things happen, but the ramifications of what happened decades ago are still felt today.

People want to be close to their community and services that cater to it (eg. polish speaking dentists, mexican grocery stores, ukrainian churches, etc.)

this

mostly this

Why is Hispanic going up so fast?

Why did Asians and Hispanics increase at a greater rate compared Whites and Blacks?

good post

bnecause people segregate themselves by choice

also race/income are similar divides unfortunately

demographics, pic related

People. Nobody wants to live next to blacks because we all know what blacks do to neighborhoods. I've found maybe 1 or 2 black families in a majority white neighborhood. Those are the types of blacks that aren't deadbeats who try to act "white" and it's great. Funny when people say "US isn't segregated" because that's all I see lmao

Shorewood here

The second you cross that bridge you're in Africa

Ta Coates is a charlatan. Races in the US tend to residentially self-separate over time due to personal preferences. Detroit was actually a mixed city for a while, but it was unstable, and the whites kept getting robbed and attacked, so they left. It has little to do with real estate; that's more a symptom than a cause.

My city is very segregated, the neighborhoods are divided by railroad tracks in some parts.