NeoKosmos

Why doesn't she put more animation into it? For a SU animator you'd think she'd be able to make the panels more polished.

NeoKosmos thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

neo-kosmos.com/page/605
shelbycraggillustration.com/
shelbycragg.tumblr.com/
egomatter.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm not joking or making fun, this is a serious question:

Is that fanart, made in MSPaint? Just look at the pixels on the outline.

The fuck is with SJW artists and vitiligo?

No this is an actual panel from the comic. I don't know what she makes it in. Some panels are animated (So presumably photoshop), this one is stastic.

neo-kosmos.com/page/605

But honestly I have no idea why Shelby chose this artstyle for her webcomic, it's sort of a downgrade from her usual art.

She's not an animator, she's a storyboard revisionist

The top character on the right is Steven
The top character on the right is LITERALLY Steven Universe colored black with splotches
I mean I'm for allowing influence but c'mon

The animation in SU is done mostly by Koreans, and sometimes by the storyboard artists that actually are trained animators. She is neither of those.

Wow, those Chinese ads were true. Blackness *does* run off.

Because some black people look down on people with vitiligo.
It's oppression within oppression, and you know how much they love that shit.

Oh, my mistake.
But if she's a Story Revisionist shouldn't she be able to lay out these panels a lot better? There are so many camera angling and transition errors, it looks like it's trying to copy Ava's Demon storyboard format but the panels themselves wouldn't pass for a proper storyboard on anything.

What, literally who? Tribal Africans in Oogaboogastan maybe?

What's the plot of this? The only thing I've grasped so far is NIGGERS IN SPACE YAH READY DAWG?

This comic is trash and just does the whole home stuck role play dialog shit. Its unoriginal garbage.

What well thought out criticism

I don't even mind the representation of people with vitiligo or racial/sexual diversity, but shit. This doesn't look good.

Their pre-redraw art looks better imo. They tried to make it look more polished and now it looks actually worse.

Wait $helby is working for Steven Universe now.
Jesus no wonder it went to shit

I thought this was one of those black SU Edits made to offend Tumblr

It looks exactly like Steven Universe. This is not okay.

She worked on it a time before working on her webcomic, that's why the influence of SU is poured all over.

It looks cool.

What I don't understand is, if she's talented enough to ape Steven Universe's style to the letter and purposefully make her comic derivative, why doesn't she just spend that effort making her comic good?

What's with this trend of artists making comics that undersell their artistic ability for the sake of an audience?

Because tumblr is fickle. If they see people who are actually good at art there little feelings might get hurt.

Post usual art?

Here's a piece
and I think
This is also done by her. She has a rather distinctive style.

>Distinctive
If by distinctive you mean "Trying to ape Rebecca Sugar", than sure. Especially with the overly elongated limbs and twisted body proportions.

i like style-copies. remember QuestsYeah! ? it aped adventure time fantastically while being totally unique.
and i like shit that does a good job of aping anime as much as i hate the shit that does a bad job of it, so this is no dif

What? I think you guys are getting confused. Shelby doesn't work for SU, Amber does, and the comic is a collaboration between the two of them. Unless Shelby recently revealed that she works/worked on SU at some point and I'm wrong?

I have vitiligo and grew up in a remote rural valley in the early 80s. Nobody knew what the fuck it was.

I'm meh about the sudden boom in "Popularity" it seems to be receiving these days but why do all the characters with it have to be black? It affects all races, I'm not black, 100% of characters with vitiligo are black. What the fuck is going on there?

its because black use to be the go to diversity card
but now sjws have started to notice that blacks aren't diverse enough since they're everywhere now
now you gotta have gay trans vitiligo black if you want to make your comic look progressive

I guess it's so it can stand out more.

I knew a girl who just had it on her hands and a little on her upper arms and her skin color was like this. Looked pretty cool.

what

What if I told you that 25$helby is the perfect example of nepotism leading to the creation of terrible content? After she fucked one of the Homestuck music team members, she basically shoved herself into everything till she got into the ingroup without actually doing any worthwhile work.

Fucking someone to get connections isn't unique to now. It's not even unique to Hollywood. It's always been bullshit that worse artists get ahead in the industry compared to others because they have an uncle who has a friend who is an executive at CN or something. It can't be helped, friends help friends, but it is total bullshit.

She's a good artist, she just plays really hard into various fandoms and fanbases.

You got an example?

>She's a good artist

thus keked zarathustra

>nepotism
HOLY SHIT MY AUTISM GETS SO TRIGGERED BY THIS NEPOTISM HAS TO BE FAMILIAL, IF IT IS NOT FAMILIAL IT IS CRONYISM, I REPEAT IF THERE IS NO BLOOD OR MARITAL RELATION BETWEEN THE PEOPLE GETTING WORK IT IS NOT NEPOTISM IT IS CRONYISM, STOP COMING OFF LIKE AN ILLITERATE PIECE OF SHIT AND LEARN WHAT WORDS MEAN

i know for a fact that shelby did not do that drawing

Shush you goobers
She's better than she lets on
shelbycraggillustration.com/

It's as old as time.
Literally historically ancient, as even Cleopatra fucked here way into Mark Anthony's pants to wiggle her way into Roman power.

Just thinking about this shitty comic. It's so unbelievably tryhard.

I mean, in a sense it's bullshit.

But in another sense it makes perfect sense because of course you'd hire someone you know because how would you hire someone you don't know, you don't know them.

>She's better than she lets on
>shelbycraggillustration.com/
Uh huh...

what about semen

All I see are fat brown ambiguously gendered people being lesbians or someshit. The art is 90% style, 10% actual use of skill. It's on par with old hippies that do chalk murals on the sidewalk.

You can't honestly say that her shading and coloring isn't comfy as fuck.

She's not an amazing artist, and her art isn't the most obviously labor-intensive, but she's pretty good, considering. I just find it weird that she restricts herself to these very rigid simplistic styles.

Never heard of it until now

yes I can

It's boring and the subject matter only makes it worse

Her homestuck fancomics were more enjoyable than these

the fact the next button I need to click moves around when text shows up is really annoying.

it's pretty shit, dude.

The shading is what irritated me the most

I've seen its like before. It's dirty and unfocused

Badge now.
Show me your art credentials. Your argument is all rhetoric and no substance or evidence. As is all it reads as is
>Eww it's just a bunch of fat niggers

One big problem I have with the comic is that it emulates Homestuck's style, but it tries to do a "serious" pacing style almost constantly.

It's always going for "muh DEEPEST LORE", which would be cool if the plot were interesting. But it straight up just doesn't have that easy hook that Homestuck does. It fails at establishing interesting characters, so when they're thrown into the meat grinder we really can't care.

>Serious pacing style
Wha? If anything every panel looks like a screen shot taken from Steven Universe. That is to say just a dumb face making a goofy or awkward expression, panel after panel, with very little variation or composition to any of the pages.

Shelby has shown us the value of "art" "credentials", user.

they actually have a separate artist as animator

Storyboard revisionists revise the panels in the way that the Storyboard Supervisor and Supervising director tells them to do

yeah It's Amber that works on SU, not Shelby

I'm talking later in the story. "Serious" as in people are constantly crying, and dying, and dying while crying.

It's got a heavy Homestuck Act 5 Act 2 feel to it, but it fails because we don't care about the characters. Oh, okay, this person is crying. I guess they feel emotionally attached. That's cool.

It wants so desperately to get into the "real story" that it entirely skips the part where it makes us give a shit about the stakes. And by limiting our perspective to clueless characters (kind of like some other show that I've heard of), they can withhold and tease background details all they want, which gives the impression of "DEEPEST LORE" even when the actual plot could probably be explained in a paragraph.

It's Steven Universe without the heart and soul that makes it work.

It's not just the art that sucks, it's the writing that sucks.

>black cast
>vitiligo
>Steven Universe style
>most certanly sjw

Would it be a safe bet that the creator is not black?
Like almost every person pushing for diversity, most likely female and white.

see

I'm a white guy with vitiligo. What the fuck does that make me?

slightly whiter in some spots

Even Homestuck Act 5 Act 2 failed because we didn't care about the characters
6 people died and everyone went "great, now kill off a few more, like the fucking clown"

They watched the Uncle Ruckus origin episode.

WHY

ARE

THEY

SO

UGLY

It's the new, SJW versions of heterochromia

ie a way to make your character SPECIAL when irl it barely happens

and now she's making a webcomic hardly anyone reads, doesn't look like she rode that train to any place lofty enough to really hate her for it

What's next, club foot?

I think we should start calling out SJWs for using vitilligo as a disability quota filler
"HOW ABOUT A PERSON WITH A DISABILITY THAT LEAVES THEM WITHOUT AN ABLE BODY HUH IS THAT TOO FRIKKIN HARD??? I CANNOT EVEN"

There is this really strange trend where artists design characters to be as unappealing as they can, followed by viewers pretending they like them, which then causes the artist to shit out more.
It's a fucking mess.

Well that's more opinion based. Even ignoring Murderstuck, A5A2 had the most development of pretty much any other act. Dave started really developing those issues with heroism that would define and later strangle his character arc, Jade became an actually interesting (and, you know, good) character, Karkat hit his peak (and went so far downhill afterwards he actually hit the mantle and drowned in magma), etc.

The problem here is that it's obsessed with this concept of "feels" without earning them. We're supposed to feel sad for the predicament of these characters, but we mainly know them through their predicament, outside of that their personalities are simple and one-note.

has this happened anywhere else beyond those homestuck fanartists that draw the cast like genetic experiments

that trend isn't limited to homestuck, mein freund.

Do you even know what tumblr is?

what's their usual art? seriously, I don't see how anyone thinks doing this style is a good idea. It's derivative and appeals to only one fanbase if at all.

shelbycragg.tumblr.com/
egomatter.tumblr.com/

you can press left or right on the keyboard but thats not mentioned anywhere

their animator worked pretty closely with homestuck near the end, too.

It weirdly takes from Ava's Demon in that there's absolutely no introduction or build up, no beginners portion where we learn to care about the characters, learn what they're about, get to know the the scope and breadth of this world with any clarity. We're just thrown right in and expected to care haphazardly.

>when irl it barely happens

I have no idea where you live but I've seen more than enough people with vitiligo living in the big city to know its frequent enough to be a thing. I have yet to see a human with heterochromia however.

They never announced who got picked as a boarder for the open call last year and I'm convinced it's Shelby because a couple months later she posted about moving. We just haven't gotten to the episodes she would have worked on yet... She seems like the logical choice considering her and Amber's working relationship and I wouldn't be shocked if two years from now we see episodes by a Shelby/Amber board team.

isn't it that colin guy?

Who? Haven't been keeping up with the Crewniverse lately.

Who's got that Karkat picture that looks like a fat rainbow tranny?

That's why I dropped Ava's demon

I didn't care. About anything

Having never touched this comic I had no idea that was even what it was from the OP pic, and I'm not unfamiliar with the condition. I thought the context was that she got hit with something and was messy, like they had a food fight or a monster spewed spit on her. It looks like shit is my point. Also why are their ears cut in half like that?

>White girl
>Dyed hair
>Comic full of ambiguous brown people one of which is a zebra
Stereotypes exist for a reason, holy shit

Colin Howard: he was the Character Designer (not to be confused with Lead Character Deigner, that would be Danny Hynes) for every episode from the beginning to Super Watermelon Island

>artist decides to make a character "disabled" for diversity
>it's not even an actual disability, and they play it up like it's awful

So does this mean any new gems will have vitiligo?

Well neo kosmos doesn't go THAT far

I... I can't tell, are these girls or guys I'm looking at?

That's a pretty problematic view of gender, user

since the earth and thus human culture have been destroyed, "girls" and "guys" aren't a thing, aside from Iris who looked it up on Wikipedia and decided she was a girl

later you see from their medical charts that the vitiligo one has a vagina and iris has a dick and i forget about the ponytail one, i think vagina?

the pointy headed aliens and the pirate bull alien are 'women'

>Guys and girls aren't a thing
>They still have sexual characteristics which means they're different
Tumblr, pls

well, it is a tumblr comic, what do you expect

I thought it was white edits?

>Thought I just fapped to a vilitigo fuckboi
>Turns out she was a girl
Woah hohohoohoo boy that was strange