How's Your Webcomic? /hyw/ #289

Share your comic with others!
Link your website and portfolio!
Critique and comment on others' work!
Previous thread: I hope I'm doing this right edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0lck7oo4A
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
youtube.com/watch?v=fK0LUNDkyHQ
1d4chan.org/wiki/Britbongsteros
webtoons.com/en/challenge/undead-and-uneducated/ep-2-whats-out-there/viewer?title_no=32422&episode_no=3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag

Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:

>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>*-Finally, here are some links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV

>*-Here’s the contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>*-We also got a SKYPE CHAT room going on,
To join the chat, seek out 'starlinemike' or 'scribblehatch' and they'll add you in.

>*-We also got a DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0lck7oo4A

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

This one was created first right?

It has a better OP regardless so it's the one I will use.

I'm not sure. I saw the other one was dead guess I should've waited a bit.

[Obligatory rant post about Scribb/Bones/Dewb]

I'm not fucking looking for how to start a website you stupid fucking faggot.

I'm looking for MAKING.
MONEY.
VIA.
DISPLAYING.
ADVERTISEMENTS.

I knew you were just acting like a retard but this level of commitment is next-level. Especially when you try to deflect the "pretending to be retarded" thing onto other people.

[Obligatory rant post about Blutrinity]

Reposting for that pathetic dumbshit in the last thread who can't take the time to properly read the OP to know where it has content about getting advertisers for your site.

So you aren't pretending to be retarded, then.

You guys are a silly bunch, you know that.

Aw fuck, this is the last fucking time I'm making a new thread. This is what I get for not being lazy. Can't look stupid if you don't try in the first place, I should have remebered.

>tfw you want to drop your current comic to start something new but you end up spending all your time on development and concepts

You'd be right at home in the /coc/ threads.

Can somebody post something from their webcomic please, the start of this thread makes me want to drown myself in the sink.

At least we both look stupid so you're not alone. Both threads are off to a great start to.
Such is life.

these threads were a mistake.

i love a good dual meaning joke

Heres some scribbly thumbnails. I finished the cover, but i need to witelit some stuff before i scan it.

Wite-out*

Ur a mistake lmao

They are a lot of fun.

That cover was really amazing I saw the one where it seemed mostly inked but didn't get a chance to say anything.

Have a very cruddy up close detail.

You should change your trip to The Talent since you're one of the very few regulars in these threads who can actually draw well. I disn't get to say it in the last thread but it's nice to have someone who will actually losten to suggestions and improve, that ladder and the owl's wing in your last WIP really looked a lot better in the end.

I'm really getting a rango vibe from your comic. Looking forward to see more lizards and other more ragged characters (if that's where you're going anyway)

Not to be nitpicky but I think that sidekick demon looked a lot better when you had that lumpy design for its limbs instead of making it look like bones.

Other than that, great page.

>one of the very few regulars in these threads who can actually draw well
Name all of the other ones.

What program is that?
and where can I steal it

I like to draw traditionally but recently got access to a scaner so I want to experiment with digital adjustments a little.

It's photoshop. Someone gave me this so I couldn't tell ya. I used to use Fira Alpaca though.

The mimi guy
That one guy who draws the girl character with giant fists and star thingies in her hair
The guy with the dead cat gag comic
Some other guys who stuck around during the hiveworks submission phase but I guess you can't call them regulars...

>The mimi guy
>guy

Mimi artist a girl nigguh.

Hey thanks and it is a good point I also went back to more spindly limbs I think it fits him better. What do you think?

Posting my crappy thumbnails for my latest concept about a prince who can control animals with his mind and goes on adventures.

I used to do only scripts (both full-sripts and plot-scripts) for my comics but I decided to do thumbnails for the first four chapters of this project (about 70 pages) just as a visual reminder to keep the idea fresh.
Sometimes I'm baffled that I've been doing comics for years always in search for an artist to collaborate with
Another one fo the pile, haha.

remade page 3 cause I didn't like how I set up the end of this episode.

>m-maybe if I keep saying he's only pretending to be retarded nobody will know that I'm the one pretending

Awesome! You need to do a fully-fledged chapter if you're not allready working on one.

If you're doing a webcomic that thic demon girl mc will get you a lot of views, trust me.

Oh, you should read Jigokuren (love in the hell) as research if you haven't allready. It's not for everyone but personally I like to read some classics depending on the niche / genre I'm currently writing in.

Are you going to apologize for being wrong and also a belligerent asshole, or are you just going to continue being a retard?

LONDON?

I haven't really started yet I literally just sort of came up with these guys a few days ago so I'm still taking baby steps. But I'm definitely going to do something! I'm really attached to them already.
I just started checking it out it's a little strange reading from left to right but I love it. The iPod loin cloth was just fantastic. And I'm super into the landscapes I didn't even think of lava pools. Thanks for the recommendation for sure!

have you ever known anyone to? leave it. don't talk to reparationanon

How is your buffer /hyw/?

ain got one. flying by the seat of my rocketpants.

Just started working on some. Feels great to not be finishing pages hours before I post them.

Have not had one in many months. I live dangerously.

thank you user.
thank you. I'm really trying to give it my all and pushing myself to do better. (I've even lost sleep because of it).
>I'm really getting a rango vibe from your comic.

Cool! I really liked that movie, and took a bit of inspiration from its setting.

>Looking forward to see more lizards and other more ragged characters (if that's where you're going anyway)

Yes, this next chapter will be a bit more focused on Maude (the possum). Her dress is ragged because it actually gets torn up a bit in the comic during a chase scene

Here's the full cover, (sized down and cropped).
I took out the mine cart in the back because I felt there was too much going on up in the top area, and I was gonna add the title up there anyway, so there's no real point. What do you guys think?

I'm aware you can see a bit of the pencils lines still in some areas, so I'll do a thorough cleanup before I slap on some colors.

they draw a girly comic with a girly character

MUST BE A GIRL ARTIST!

lol, no, welcome to the world of traps kid, i used to think scrible batch was a grill cuz chaos in the tropics looks girly as fuck and was sure a girl drew it, but i was wrong lol

in time, you to will come to learn this hard lesson of webcomics and the peoples who make them lol: youtube.com/watch?v=fK0LUNDkyHQ

But I am a girl.

LONDON?
O
N
D
O
N
?

Don't reply to bones.

It's bones. Just filter.

Not even the one that wrote that. Weird.

Hello anons.

/tg/ visiting here and seeking guidance.

I have a story, characters, and a small audience for a prospective web comic. I also have the better part of dozen stories written.

I am interested in talking to anyone with knowledge of the web comic world on feasibility for this project and especially artists, seeing as I can't draw.

Halp.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Britbongsteros

I've been posting and asking questions on these threads for the past few weeks and finally finished my second chapter! Thanks to these threads I'm able to get great input back to help improve.

baabaamouton.tumblr.com
I'm sorry if its a shameless plug but these threads are the only place I know where i can get legit criticism from total strangers. Any and all feed back would be greatly appreciated!

>halp
With what in particular?

This is fantastic. You have a nice sense of style, and i really dig your colors.

You had me at her talking to the worm. I really like your style and the color pallet is easy on the eyes. I just started into chapter two and I love the cover.

I don't think I've ever loved a page that i've made more than this one, I'm going to fix his right hand and that will be it.

Now I know I'm in the right place

1. I'm interested to talking to people who have experience in webcomic publishing and in particular startup. Know of anyone?

2. If anyone wants to read the link I'm interested in hearing about viability.

3. I'd be very interested in hearing about art styles you might recommend and in particular who might be good to talk to about this sort of thing.

4. I might be interested in hearing from artists generally if there's interest.

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing so any pointers are enormously appreciated, all I know is I have a story I want to share.

Thank you both for the complements, they mean a lot to me! I find one of the things that drives me to complete a chapter is getting to make the chapter covers! I like to read up about a lot of occult and different religions in my spare time and work in into my art. I was hoping for it not to come off too 'edgy' in a sense, so I'm glad you like it!

im not that user but if you are looking for an artist that will draw all your stuff it is going to be something very difficult unless you have money and a good way to stay in contact

i think it would be way easier for you to just learn how to draw and read all the links we have in the Scrub Authors goodie bag so you can make your comic just the way you want

That's really cool working stuff like that into your art. I didn't find it edgy at all just neat and pretty damn adorable.

Also I doodled up some landscape sort of things. I'm aiming for a fleshy stone mix. I was kind of thinking of the later parts of DOOM 3 once the facility starts getting all the strange growths.

These are really nice. You're making me wanna draw your demon chick, holy crap she's a qt

I'm interested in talking to artists with a view to paying one. I'm more than happy to do so or to come to an arrangement where profits if any are split, I just want to sound this out.

Additionally you do not want to see me draw.

just finished episode 2
would love feed back from it. (besides the terrible art)
webtoons.com/en/challenge/undead-and-uneducated/ep-2-whats-out-there/viewer?title_no=32422&episode_no=3

>profits
I don't think you'll make any. Many webcomics just don't make profit at all or struggle to make one, and while you got a setting, it's as niche as it gets. I'm not an expert, but I assume you could turn it into a webcomic, seeing you got the world and characters AND stories figured out (though you're link is impressive but lack details all around). Just don't expect to collect money from it. As for anything art, I'm kinda in the same position as you so I cant really help.

Suspensful. The art isnt as bad as you say it is. You are clearly interpreting ideas and action, along with some interesting panel shots. Keep it up!

I see for most of your action panels they are just white, have you ever thought about using a solid color thats exciting or fitting the mood? I think white is acceptable in certain situations but if over used it may make it look 'unfinished' if you catch my drift.

Im really diggin the right landscape you have there, Im really excited to see a colored version of those now!

Greetings for a Art Noob who wants to Git Gud.
Weekly (partial) Performance review.
You others better be trying to Git Gud too..

What do you guys this off this guy.
Story- It's a set for practice pages for an up and coming comic. Guys name is Weapon Halberd, A sort of teacher and Gaurdian of the old arts of Sound Body. He fights a main character in his youth.

Also sorry he has no left arm, I'm getting tired i'll post the concept for the pages later. This is just a taste.

Thanks alot

I will defiantly try that in the future.

>What do you guys this off this guy.
I beg your pardon?

>armor boner

>dat bulge
Looking good overall, but I feel like there's some anatomical things that are off. Not sure what though. And draw that arm.

It's not that bad with the art. Some panels are way worse than others though. Also, nothing happens ? Except at the end, otherwise it's people talking and running away for a few panels.

Holy shit dat armor boner I cant unsee that...
What my dumbass meant to say was what do you think?
I'm tired as shit dude...
Ok so anatomy is off, thats bad...
To be honest at the time I made him on spot just to get a feel of attention on the page. Rest of pages are later

Thank you and Just as long as you don't mind me drawing Juniper.
Also I loved the part with her getting excited about the sheep. I work on a small farm and the sheep are just like big fluffy dogs. The way you do the word bubbles to is nice as well changing them up for different dialogue.

Thanks! I really have to get into color I wanna keep it as traditional as possible but haven't invested into to many supplies.

Really like this dude. The scale armor on the upper arm is awesome and in general it's a nice looking set. The big collar looks for sturdy neck protection.

Actually, I'm tired too and the more I look at it the less I see the "off" part. Please don't feel bad. Also the captcha can go fuck itself.

I see youre about to end your pregnant pause

Went out and got myself a scanner; the Visioneer Roadwarrior, for $30. It scans in poor quality, but it's really easy to use, and it's fast. I think as long as I clean and ink it before scanning it should be okay. Before I was just taking pictures with my phone, and it was kind of a hassle.
Overall, I don't recommend it if your comic is big on small details.

Also just gonna casually dump some character designs (top).

Not gonna lie, when I see to be continued in anything comic, art, cartoon and etc.
That song from Jojo: Roundabout plays in my head.
Also do you guys try mixing stuff up in your comics like instead of... to be continued why not "in the next chapter" or "see ya later kid".
Also the empty space in back really doesn't set the mood for reaching out for something, I usually use the background as extra leverage to convey an feeling like an empty, dark room for loneliness or if you want helpless to reach out feeling put em in a long narrow hallway...
Just my opinion

Right on bruh. Hope you post something soon.

Also, saved.
I'll post something i got saved up in my "cool art" folder as thanks.

pfffttt
the girls are cute, the dude seems to have subtle proportion issues, and the close-up head... i feel like the far cheek should be reduced more because of the head being turned, or else the facial features being moved further over. like, they're centered despite the head being turned, yknow?

Thanks for the reply! Your attached pic makes for great inspo too.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep it note for my future drawings. I start with the eyes and then draw in the jaw/face shape, do you think I should change the order?

professionals would say always get the basic head structure in first, and let it dictate the placement of the features, but I say as long as you keep everything consistent it doesn't matter. It's all a matter of which one you're more reluctant to erase and redo to match the other.. and in that regard i'm with you, keep the eyes i worked so hard on, redo the jaw and cheek.

Hey talked in thread yesterday about development for my webcomic
I've resolved to have the guns and melee weapons be infused with magic or technology to face the people with powers but now I'm trying to figure out how the powers should actually work as well as how to balance them with the exception of certain characters
The webcomic takes place in an alternate universe starting on a world in a country following a group that could be either mercenaries or some sort of guild

not to be a dick but this is even more apparent now than it was then: what the heck are you concerning yourself with? did someone give you an assignment or a challenge something, where you have to make a comic under the vague constraints of 'must have ballistic weapons, melee weapons, and magic powers' ? because for some reason those seem to be your concern, and figuring out how they'll work together, and it sounds as if you have nothing else. no idea of what they would be, or any indication of why you want those in your comic.. and that is literally all there is to your comic at the moment. a need to include three elements of combat.
you're like, putting the cart ahead of the horse when you don't even own a horse or a cart yet but are instead asking yourself what kind of reins you'll use

Well you should figure out what the story is that you want to tell, and then think about how the magic weapons will help you tell your story. If the magic weapons aren't involved in the story, then they're not important and you can ignore them.

You're not designing a video game, you're telling a story.

yeah I mean I've been known to construct stories around cool shit I want to see, but I at least work out the story.. who's using this shit to fight what, for what reason. Then the action scenes can be the backdrop and you can work in the progression of whatever. like Uncharted and shit.

>that's so webcomic creator who spends too much time imagining stories instead of drawing them

Practicing with the contrast and brightness the scanner provides.

Here's another pic of Giri. Not really trying to make sense of her poses. Though I'm not happy how the legs turned out.

Still, can't wait till I get that light table, gonna wait till next paycheck.

just made this last night in like 30 minutes.

I think it's pretty funny, but does it have any merit? or is the whole "shitty ms paint" genre too saturated

what else u got? i like it

That's the only one I've made, actually. I've got some more ideas, though. Probably gonna work on some tonight.Thank you!

Why does it always do this??? I rotate the image before I post them, look alright then boom. Giant middle finger.

Why?

Alright actual advice
Ok well the story is about this group who each have history with the main character forming this team that will expand as the series progresses but basically they just fight criminals and evil organizations building up more into facing enemies that want them dead as the main villain directly caused this event that was meant to kill the main character for this reason that would be explained later but the main character as well as certain others have specific powers varying in ability
I would show my original webcomics that this started with but they suck I showed them here before and everything said about how shit they were was true I still need to develop this more get some people to work with as well as get better at drawing to see how an update schedule could work also I did these webcomics on tumblr because it seemed people would look at them there but it's fucking tumblr so that was another main reason for needing to develop this series but I do post weekly sketches to my art blog still on tumblr until I figure out better constructive and time efficient ways to draw for the internet

>2016
>traditional art
>getting a light table
get a load of this senior citizen

cute girl. My only critique is that maybe the way the hair cuts off on the back makes it look like she has a really small head

Not that user but I strongly prefer the tactile experience of traditional media. I've worked digitally for years but it just doesn't feel the same - traditional has more control. The downside is you have one shot (but at worse, you just redraw the panel via lightbox.)

Hey sonny, I was told it would help create a clean only pencil comic.

I see what you mean. Thanks!

>you will never permanently cripple that tripfag's drawing hand with a hammer wrapped with printouts of his shitty comic