Anastasia musical set for Broadway

A musical based on Don Bluth's Anastasia is headed to Broadway in 2017. Will it give Spongebob a run for its money?

variety.com/2016/legit/news/anastasia-musical-broadway-dates-1201804611/

Once Upon a December is GOAT so I'm hyped

It's apparently very visually pretty on stage.

I listened to an audio bootleg and all the new songs are good. Anya's new song is gorgeous. And there's this haunting song that uses a melody from In the Dark of the Night as a wink wink to the only song not to make it into the show.

some more production photos.

You Can Learn to Do It

at the opera

Anya and Gleb (new antagonist)

end of Once Upon a December

It's a shame that people will automatically think that this is from Disney.

Train sequence Instead of the demon bats requiring them to jump the train, it's Russian police who are tracking someone they know is fleeing the country. They take him and shoot him in the head, then start checking everyone else's passports.

baby Anastasia

That movie was a fucking joke. Why would anyone ever ever want to remind us that that thing existed.

>one of the better animated films to come out of the 90s
>gorgeous music, some stunning animation
>fucking joke

Men are such babies.

I agree with you about the movie, but kys.

3 actresses who play Anastasia in the show

What were you, a vulture in another life?

Anastasia & Alexandra

The family

The only song cut from the film is In the Dark of the Night, because of the removal of all magical elements. No Rasputin, no Bartok, no curses, no demon bats. Antagonist is a Russian policemen named Gleb who knows Anya and is sent to investigate her claims of being Anastasia and, if they're true, kill her. He also has a connection with the murdered Romanovs.

Sophie is now called Lily and has more development and more screen (or stage, I guess) time with Vlad. Dimitri has a new backstory and different connection to Anya/Anastasia.

Journey to the Past is no longer in the beginning of the story, it's the Act I closer. There's a Rumor in St. Petersburg has additional and changed lyrics to introduce more of the history of the revolution and regime change. Paris Holds the Key to Your Heart is extended.

Several new numbers, including a new solo for Dimitri, new duet for Dimitri & Anastasia, new solo for Anastasia to replace "Journey to the Past" as the introduction song, new quartet between Anya/Empress/Dimitri/Gleb at the opera/ballet, to name a few.

Paris

>nice animation doesn't mask what a horrifying butchery of history this thing was

>caring about historical accuracy in a fantasy cartoon

You know, you really should watch your blood pressure. My nephew Izzy just keeled over mid-mango!

Why do so many people cream themselves over Anastasia? Tatiana was the hot one.

I don't know anyone that creams themselves over the real Anastasia being hot.

Their historical fuck-up of Rasputin was on the same level as someone making a cartoon about how Hitler was actually trying to save the Jews from persecution. I think that kind of idiocy trumps your argument.

wtf wheres bartok??

I bet you think Pocahontas was also a good movie.

Americans need cartoons to teach them things since their public schools are a joke

Wasn't Rasputin historically part of it though?

I'm probably about as stubborn as you are.

No, he wasn't historically part of the "What if Anastasia survived?" story that the animated movie is based on.

Is he a cuck? One of those is definitely not his.

I mean the songs weren't bad, so it could work. There's already been at least one Broadway musical based on the same story.

What I don't know how they're going to get around is that the animated movie adds Disney ripoff elements to the fairly straightforward original story, like Zombie Rasputin or whatever. It would be a better musical if they just dropped him, but families will expect to see the movie come to life on the stage.

Oh, I didn't see the post above saying they'd dropped Rasputin and the supernatural stuff. So they actually did what I thought they would be smart to do.

Now watch the musical fail because it doesn't have magic.

>Now watch the musical fail because it doesn't have magic.

I don't know, the preview run at Hartford had to extend with more performances and was totally sold out. I can see this getting quite a bit of hype. Nostalgia + princesses + kind of history.

The only thing that might kill it is that it's darker than the film. Hoping it doesn't go the way of the darker Hunchback of Notre Dame. It doesn't get quite to that level but there's references to shootings and the murder of the family. Plus the new nightmare sequence (to replace the beach/cliff one Rasputin gives her) has her family asking why she isn't dead and Alexei says something like "Can I tell you a secret? I'm going to die."

But man, I was 9 years old when that movie came out and even back then I knew enough history to know that it was bullshit.

To be fair it wasn't supposed to be any kind of history lesson, it was just based on a purely fictional play and movie.

The story goes that Fox told Don Bluth he could choose between making a cartoon musical out of two old properties, My Fair Lady or Anastasia. I think he made the right call because it's better to do an original musical instead of having another musical to compete with.

>no "At the Beginning"

Fuck it.

Why would they put a pop music credits song into the show, when it was never in the film?

Because it's a god-tier song.

But it doesn't fit at all with the style of the music in the musical.