Horror Movie Thread

Finding a good horror movie is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I went through all of the recommendations I got on Sup Forums recently.

>V/H/S 2
The first story I fapped to uncomfortably. The second was predictable and mostly humorous. The third one was disgusting because of the Indonesian language, much worse than the supposed "horror" scenes in it. The fourth story was pure retardation, shame about the pupper. And the ending - how do you choke someone who has a gun? Overall, above average at best.

>The Descent
Nice, but vastly inferior to Pandorum.

>Green Room
Great start, interesting premise but it all went down the drain when Patrick Steward let them have the gun and the bullets too. Afterwards, they tried to come up with increasingly convoluted plans of how to get rid off them. The ending when the "empowered punkers" put on facepaint which somehow turned them into trained killers was pure cringe.

>Triangle
Probably the best movie overall, very underrated, but not particularly scary. More of a thriller than a horror film.

>My Bloody Valentine
(The original version.) Good for what it is, but predictable and kinda convoluted. Needs a lot of suspension of disbelief & characters acting retarded to work.

>Lights Out
A movie that blows its entire load before the title drop. The rest of the movie is just a watered down version of the intro.

>Session 9
Snooze fest and predictable.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qHYsXRUbyPY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shutter and Ju-On are my favourite japanese-woman-crawling-on-the-floor horror movies
tales of terror from tokyo also have some winners
Jenifer is the only argento thing I like

>not enjoying Safe Haven, easily the best of V/H/S/2

You DISGUST me.

List what you're looking for, new stuff, old stuff, obscure stuff, etc.

If you haven't seen it the remake of My Bloody Valentine is pretty decent and features one of the best and lengthiest nude scenes ever put on film.

There's just no tension for me, watching Indonesians kill each other. The only likable character there was Satan at the end.

Shoo shoo, pleb. Also, nice Reddit spacing.

I spoiled myself already on the plot since I expected it to be bad in comparison, but if there's titties then I guess I'll pick it up.

>saying The Descent is inferior to Pandorum
>shitting on Green Room and My Bloody Valentine
>calling Session 9 "a snooze fest"

Jesus christ you are a major fucking turbo pleb.

Why so offended, pinoy?

You're next
Pretty good acting decent spooks and is quite funny at certain times. Worth a watch desu and the guy who made it made the eye one in V/H/S 2 I think.

I went to the theater and saw it in 3D and remember being really impressed by the 3D effects. Like, when a guy swung his rifle towards the camera, I instinctively almost wanted to duck. The nudity was a nice bonus.

Can't believe this dude made that godawful Blair Witch reboot.

So what are you guys watching lately?

I'm in the middle of the Friday the 13th series (got up to part VII, fell asleep, gotta rewatch) and I'm also slogging my way through the Scream series. Never saw 2-4 before. 3 had a pretty shit villain and I don't actually remember a whole lot else from the movie.

I want to be the next to grab dem titties mmmmm

>Why so offended, pinoy?

whoah! whoah! whoa! whoa!

hold the fuckin phone.

I am unfamiliar with this meme.

Holy fuck its worse than I expected...

Why did your IP change?

here's some more hit and miss shit

>the conjuring 1 & 2
probably the most vanilla horror I've seen, but it's watcheable due to the characters not being complete retards all the time. Insidious, sinister and oculus are similar tripe

>the visit
mildly funny, mildly tense shamaladingdong. More engaging than Split

>the autopsy of jane doe
probably has the strongest potential of any recent horror I've seen of late, though falls apart towards the conclusion, however I found it well worth it

>the invitation
>pontypool
>1408
>resolution
>it follows

>More engaging than Split
Split was Bollywood Kino tho

The Conjuring movies sucked, but they could have been ok if they'd focused on the paranormal investigator couple more and less on by-the-numbers horror. Those movies had every horror trope in the book in 'em.

The Visit was stupid and Split sucked other than a damn fine acting job by McAvoy.

Didn't like Pontypool, 1408 was ok IIRC but it's been a while since I saw it. I liked It Follows. Thought the music was overbearing at times.

Anyone seen It Comes at Night? I saw it described as "arthouse thriller" on here and the synopsis I read doesn't really sound very interesting.

Its the biggest pleb filter of the year

Even so, worth spending $20 to go see at the movies, or should I wait?

>Didn't like Pontypool
Kill yourself.

It was retarded dude.

Blair Witch wasn't a reboot, it was a sequel. Did you even watch it?

Some personal recommendations from a horror movie binge I went through a few years back
>The Eye (the Japanese version)
The ending completely derails but until then it's spooky as fuck. One of two movies I've paused, and the only one I've paused as an adult, because it was too intense to continue
>Hush
Home invasion thriller, I enjoy most things that subvert tropes and this does it in spades. Some great tension. Surprisingly found it by Googling "Netflix horror" on my phone at a friend's place
>l'interiour (Inside, in French, probably spelled it wrong)
The only movie with silly fake gore and sfx that still scared me. Really great.
>Ils ("Them," also French iirc)
Short but packs a punch. Basically a long ass chase scene
>The House of the Devil
Worth it for the last ten minutes, might be a bit slow for some. The Innkeepers was similar but I didn't like it as much.
>Kill List
Not really horror but good atmosphere and some notably intense scenes.
>Tucker and Dale vs Evil
For if the rest spooped you too much and you need something nice to watch.

Then you've got your standard "pretty good modern horror" including The Conjuring 1 and 2, It Follows, The VVitch, etc that are probably already causing contrarian drama in this thread, and old school classics like The Thing, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Evil Dead (remake is good too btw) that might not hold up well visually but are still worth watching (TCSM is still pretty unsettling imo)

>The Thing, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Evil Dead (remake is good too btw) that might not hold up well visually
Are you out of your fucking mind? The visuals on these films hold up perfectly fine.

dunno if posted already but here's a few patrician choices:

>ich seh ich seh
>a dark song
>they look like people

Saw it opening weekend with a girl. She hated it. Matinee, almost no one there.

She saw it with her boyfriend and two others later that night. Everyone hates it, but the boyfriend said "I can appreciate an artsy movie like that for what it is". She says the entire theatre was groaning and talking during the movie.

I liked it, but is right.

I'd say it's worth the money just to get emmersed in the lighting (and lack of it)

Oh yeah can't believe I mentioned Hush and forgot about this. Hush is like a more subdued version of You're Next.
Autopsy of Jane Doe actually was really good, would recommend
Pontypool wasn't really scary but had great characters and a good concept
Maybe I mean aesthetically; I just feel like when horror movies are that old they're dated in how they do some things and some people won't appreciate it. Most people don't find Fred Kruger scary looking anymore, for example, and the stop motion in Evil Dead is pretty schlocky
Those are my favourite 80's horror movies for the record, I love them all but I can't watch them with friends because apparently they're boring

Session 9 is probably one of the worst horror movies I've ever seen

Nothing happens
Some uninteresting side plot about boring recordings
Nothing happens
Awful acting (hey, FUCK YOUUUU!)
Nothing happens
Someone is running upstairs
Unless... WE WUZ KURAYZEE ALL ALONG
Nothing happens
Oh wait, it was asbestos poisoning all along
Even the soundtrack sucked dick

The Thing is the best horror movie of all time.

Of all time!

Jacob's Ladder but I assume you've already seen it

Starry eyes, Mr Jones and Honeymoon were pretty good slightly obscure movies

Nice, all of them look interesting.

>The Descent
>Comparing it to Pandorum
They weren't similar at all except for having abhumans.

I actually wasn't the first to make the comparison, but I've seen someone else make it prior to watching the movie. I could see some similarities between the monsters in the movies, but Pandorum had much much more going for it beyond "being trapped in a closed space with scary night evolved monsters".

Most people don't find Freddy scary anymore because the later films turned him into a wacky cartoon villain, which retroactively made the films that preceded them less scary.

The makeup and costume design are still fantastic, as well as very unique and iconic, and would probably still hold up as pretty fucking scary to someone in a vacuum that hasn't already been overexposed to it.

Did you guys like it? I thought it was very good.

I really don't like the almost anime tier "fight with demons" that the Conjuring and it's shared universe films have.

They don't even try to give any nuance, it just goes through "unknown ghost" to "Frig off Shelakor we knows its you! God JESUS AWAY" and then a big generic looking demon screams around and flies away.

They don't even try to make you feel like there is an off chance it isn't a demon or perhaps the catholic idea of demons isn't the standard. Basically it's spooky and shit dealing with human ghosts but once the demon is discovered the family puts on their work pants and knows exactly all the tricks, the demon isn't even given room for the possibility of disbelief, they're always more certain it exists than human ghosts.

Also sick of this "they're trying to make you mad and drive your family apart, negative vibes" shit. Poltergeist did it, enough already. If you're going to make your ghost physics based around new-age medium hippy shit about "negative energy" and "love" you don't have a right to utilize the catholic idea of a fallen angel that posses a loved one with the intention of murdering everybody.

I bet you a gazillion dollars you don't know anyone who lives in a vacuum

Pandorum was all about the captain and the situation. The ship adapted humans are sort of cool but basically unneeded, they could have just been normal yet insane people living on the ship.

The Descent was indeed more basic, about the survival of the characters in a claustrophobic cave environment full of cave adapted humans, but it did have side elements with the clashing between the protagonist and her Asian friend.

well that's weird considering it wasn't a demon in the first conjuring

Horror movies I have watched in the last few months:

A Cure For Wellness - 7/10
Decent build up and intrigue. The climax was a little cliche but was still at least somewhat satisfying.

A Dark Song - 8/10
I like occult movies, this one had an great build up, faulted a bit in the climax but the end scene I thought was really cool, not seen anything like that before.

Devil In The Dark - 2/10
What a fucking waste of time. They wasted their own movie on pointless bullshit. Couldn't decide what kind of horror movie it was. There's one line right at the end said in the most ridiculous Canadian stereotype, it was hilariously bad.

Session 9 - 5/10
Watched this when it was released and thought it was decent, upon recently re-watching I found it incredibly predictable, overly try-hard edgy (particularly in the beginning with the story about the institution and film-school level "metaphorical" imagery). Still not a terrible movie, however.

The Ninth Gate - 6/10
This felt like a movie made in the 50's or thereabouts, decent mystery and build up. Johnny Depp before he totally went into the deep end is nice to see.

The Mist (Directors Cut) - 8/10
Great movie. You realize how much the lighting and composition was done for a black and white release once you see it. The CGI might have even been a little more acceptable looking without colour.

Final Prayer - 7/10
I like found footage, this was a pretty good one. Predictable as all found footage, but interesting and well made nonetheless.

The Snare - 8.5/10
This one gets some hate online, lots of rumors and stories about it's shooting, but I really enjoyed it. A great descent into madness, very unsettling atmosphere. Thought the acting was great especially when they actually choke out the guy for the one scene.

Before I Wake - 6/10
Good monster, the lead actress is trash and almost ruined the whole movie. I can't remember specifically what I enjoyed about this but I recall being somewhat pleased with it.

What is it about Session 9 that causes such divided opinions? It's really either you love it or hate it. Why? I watched it and thought it was pretty good. I don't see what there is about Session 9 that makes people think it's awful.

>Demon bound wench
Close enough.

>telling somebody to kill themselves because they have a different opinion than you
You're either an underage b& or a muslim. Or possibly both.

Unfortunately yeah I sat through it at a free screening. It sucked dick. SORRY, I meant sequel.

Takes too long to get to a painfully obvious plot twist. Uninteresting characters that are hard to care about.

It's right up there with the best of all time and I can't believe anyone would say the visuals haven't held up.

Lights Out - 7/10
This movie was incredibly mediocre until the climax, which redeemed the whole thing for me. Great use of their monster "mechanics".

The Conspiracy - 5/10
Not a bad little mystery the protagonists unravel. Predictable, but still enjoyable.

The Tunnel - 7/10
Found footage again, but not obnoxious. Nice to see the people actually escape vs just dying like most FF movies

Lake Mungo - 7/10
Enjoyable fake documentary. The climax was imagery was quite unsettling as I was rather invested in the story by that point.

Kill List - 6/10
Re-watched this after seeing it years ago and still enjoyed it. Fun "twist" at the end.

Shelter - 4/10
Kinda boring studio churn-out trash. Watch only if you're bored.

Thanks, I think I'll wait til it's on Netflix maybe.

nothing worse than a pleb who tries to be analytical. your opinions are trash OP. don't be so eager to share them.

I read that they're remaking this movie yesterday.

Such shit taste. Light's Out was a piece of shit generic stereotypical shit modern horror movie. Conspiracy is a solid 8/10. Tunnel was effective up until we saw the god awful looking monster. Lake Mungo is overrated trash plebs pretend to like because they think they'll seem sophisticated.

Is there anything out there similar to Jacob's Ladder? The Hellraiser sequels come to mind, but those weren't particularly good.

I agree with everything you said, plus I generally just don't find possession scary, so The Conjuring didn't do much for me. I did appreciate a couple of moments from the first movie - like when one of the daughters is looking under her bed, and you're expecting a really obvious jump scare, but it never happened.

Still had too much other cliche shit though, furniture moving around, spooky kids, family dog dies, etc.

If i suck your dick will you forgive me?

>all the recommendations recently

3 horror threads each day for the past 3 day. Only 1 of those movies was mentioned in at least 2/3

>>the autopsy of jane doe
Are there a lot of jump scares?

I'm sorry you don't agree with me user. I hope you can find some horror movies to make you feel better soon.

>Homophobe
Thought so. Guess you're the one who had shit opinions all along, ha!

It's not gay if you both say "No homo"

Joke's on you, I'm a different user

It's only not gay if your balls don't touch. That's always been the rule. Brojobs are just a meme.

It's extremely low budget and cheap but there's no gore or monsters so people pretend it's super sophisticated and psychological. Even if the story wasn't boring as shit, the abysmal acting would have still ruined the movie

>youtube.com/watch?v=qHYsXRUbyPY

Wow, this was just as good as the original.

>i'm mad there was no gore or monsters

>Is there anything out there similar to Jacob's Ladder?
Videodrome maybe? That's the closest thing that reminded me of Jacob's Ladder.

Why the fuck are you even comparing The Descent to Pandorum?
Regardless of what you think of either of these movies, they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Also, no plot, no good acting, no story, no horror...

>>Nice, but vastly inferior to Pandorum.
lol

Isn't "the eye" from hong kong though?

Bet you think it was better because it had better critic scores.

The trick to a scary ghost movie is not explaining too much and to really be open about their abilities.

When you give ghosts grounded yet vague rules you simplify them too much. It's even more annoying that it's become a common thing to have psychics or mediums explain the unseen world of ghosts and act like they have some Buffy the vampire slayer role in dealing with the dead. It's annoying especially because it isn't based on something that has a hint of tradition like a catholic exorcist, it's made up hippy shit spewed exclusively by television psychics all ironically inspired by Poltergeist.

Possession is scary when you really drive home the catholic idea of a demon, make it something that really hates humanities guts and isn't afraid to bring out some terrible shit which is what made Pazuzu in the Exorcist so good.

When you try to mix that in with "psychic energies, the light, spirit world, muh family happiness" shit that sounds like something made up on the spot by the Ghost Hunters on the SciFi channel you take away any chance of making a scary, demonic entity or a scary ghost.

What we really need is a ghost movie that doesn't have a psychic, nor uses the hollywood ghost mythos of things like the "light" or "positive/negative energy" and all the other shit. Get down to the basics of translucent entities, maybe some tossing of shot around, but also get creative with the abilities so people really start getting what makes ghosts so scary, the unknown.

idk man. i really try to watch these jap horror films and i just end up laughing cause of how stupid the characters look

You don't think scrawny Japanese kids are scary???

>I don't like a movie, so anyone else who does is just pretending to because reasons.

Jesus Christ what a stupid fucking thing to say.

what VHS movie had the spooky goat thing at the end?

Yeah, I think fear of the unknown is what makes any horror movie good. Overexplaining shit is the worst. Like Sinister - the first 3/4 of that movie was pretty damn good, up until the big reveal at the end. It would have been way more unsettling if the ending had been vague or just not explained.

japanese people are creepy precisely because they almost look human

this was good
liked their portrayal of "hell"
also the claustrophobic atmosphere

this is the best horror film I've watched recently.

also a dark song was pretty great watch, also found it very refreshing and comfy

Sinister mainly had a bad monster design. He was cool at a distance but up close he looked like Michael Jackson, which made the ending where he carries the girl away funny rather than scary.

At a distance the guy looked like some sort of weird Witch Hunter General like guy, which was cooler than what we got.

I downloaded this and wouldn't you know, the fucking subtitles don't work.

What the fuck was his problem?
Is he the most evil guy ever?
Like Leatherface and Jason were retarded and Freddy liked little girls so I can understand him a little but Michael Myers?
He killed her sister for no reason.
Jason would've never touched a family member.
MM was the true autist.

Anyone else never really got into these movies? Seems like a very overrated slasher to me.

>disliking Green Room
You Drumpfkins need to grow a thicker skin
#BashAFash

According to the book his family was cursed by a witch.

It ended with a jew and a white supremacist girl surviving, it was pretty apolitical.

I know right, those dumb Nazis fall so easily once you just go full retard haha.

She said she didn't wanna be one any more.

What book, don't you mean that sixth movie about the curse?

Michael's pure evil.

The first two are great (mostly the first one). Third is great for different reasons. Rest range from ok to utter shit.

She clearly meant she didn't want to fuck around with degenerate heroin dealers masquerading as neo nazis that were willing to murder their own people to hide their operation.

You wouldn't join those things if you didn't already agree with their ideas.

No, movies get novelizations that sometimes take creative liberties to explain what the film didn't explain or to add more substance if the film just doesn't work enough in written form.

Most people disregard them because they're mostly retarded, but I think the Halloween novelization had a good idea by attaching the killer in some ways to the films namesake holiday.

they are too slow
i've seen the first, second and the fourth
I liked the third one, I'd like to know at least the plot of the movies they would've made if people liked the third

slavs have been raped by turks and mongols for centuries, they have a reason for being niggers
irish do not
they are just bad people

What did he mean by this?