Critics Are Calling Out Disney for Fat-Shaming Polynesians With ‘Moana’ Character

yahoo.com/style/critics-are-calling-out-disney-1460766368210998.html

>According to New Zealand politician Jenny Salesa, the body shape of Maui is cause for concern. “When we look at photos of Polynesian men and women from the last 100-200 years, most of our people were not overweight and this negative stereotype of Maui is just not acceptable,” she writes on Facebook. “No thanks to Disney.”

Seriously... they're bitching adding a fat person is fat shaming?

He's not even obese, he's strongfat.

Man, not even fucking Tumblr is bitching about this, guys. How the fuck is a government official more hypersensitive than the internet.

I want those fucking people dead, holy shit.

dude doesn't even look fat, just like he's a mountain of muscle

>New Zealand politician
Which just goes to prove that the only people in the world who care about this are either Westerners or expats living in the West.

But that looks like every generic tank character

I think it's kind of fair. Disney certainly has a male lead template they generally follow. Straying from that on his design is a bit questionable.

>promoting sjw clickbait shit

Reported immediately.

I only watched the trailer, but isn't this guy the male lead, athletic, confident and a literal demigod superhero?

How is that a negative steoreotype?

>The character also has a giant hook
How appropriate

>Pacific Islander
>Culture revolves around the ocean
>Main source of meat when living on island is fish/crustaceans
Kind of makes sense for the demi god to have a giant fish hook to be revered by the people as a man who is strong enough to bring in a fish the size of an island and feed people for many months
>

Who cares though, I mean really?

In most cases I would think this is bullshit, but they have a point here. "Fat islander" is a common stereotype. I think they intended for him to look like a mountain slab of muscle in a stylized way, but it can easily come off as a poor depiction.

I meant for large bait

Given those fish hooks are made from bone and Maui seems to be a Primarch sized, I'm wondering just what the fuck he killed to make a hook that huge.

Did he hop over to the atlantic and kill the Coinchenn or something?

>Seriously... they're bitching adding a fat person is fat shaming?

No...they're bitching that the fat character is a 'fat Polynesian' stereotype.

Whatever your thoughts on the character and how acceptable it is to you, you have to acknowledge that 'fat Polynesian' is a stereotype.

Thats not how shame game works.

Polynesians are lower than fats in oppression

Is he a one-man apocalypse?

>Writes a thin protagonist
>But muh diversity

>Writes a chubby protagonist
>Fucking American pigs and their racism

The fuck? Maui is based as fuck.

For a good reason.

they changed Tiana because of bitching.

White people food. before then, it was pretty much just fruit n' shit.

This.
FFS

T H I S

Holy fuck, muscular people don't all look like Superman

I lived in Hawaii for 5 years.
Poly men and Women ARE THAT BIG.
Not all, but ones who are big ARE THAT BIG.
That critic has no fucking idea what shes talking about.
They're mostly muscle too, had 2 move in my stuff in my apartment, they got in done in record time because they could man handle furniture that would take 3 people to move on their own.

REMOVE

As a former marine, I've met samoans who are exactly like Maui.

Big, tattooed and huge. These were walls of fucking muscle and were tall and tatooed.

Maui is a FUCKING PARAGON for how they look in real life.

ITT: people who can't read that was addressed already.

next thing they are gonna say is that their people was originally white, blue eyes and long blonde hair but racism turned them brown. fuck new zealand, I hope it goes into the bottom of the ocean soon.
also I always thought Maui looks like IZ and I was happy because of it.

public board, we can say what we want friend.

I'd say Dreamworks should sue Disney for ripping off their signature facial expression, but in this case it fits cause it's The Rock who's voicing Maui

>it's a no one knows what actually fucking strong people look like irl because all that's ever depicted in media is the usual bodybuilder physique episode

>“When we look at photos of Polynesian men and women from the last 100-200 years, most of our people were not overweight
literally looking for the word samoan in google gives you pics and pics of buff strong muscular dudes that look like Maui. do they have internet in New Zealand? hell! do they even have cameras?

Maui is fat and ugly WAAAHH WAAAHHH

>A politician from the country that gives life in prison to people that create secret gardens just to tickle the balls of corporate farmers.

>google this, expecting the usual hyperbolic or even straight up bullshit bait
>mfw it's actually true, you can go to jail for having a backyard garden

what the fuck

It's common because it's true though

wat

HAVE THEY FUCKING SEEN SAMOANS

Samoans are fucking PROUDLY fat

God damn sjws

I think they reason that it's for "health concerns" since you might not wash your vegetables correctly

> “When we look at photos of Polynesian men and women from the last 100-200 years, most of our people were not overweight and this negative stereotype of Maui is just not acceptable,”
They are natural rugby players. Lomu was polynesian. The Rock is half polynesian and shit's huge. Embrace your strongfat blesses genes, you stupid whore.

Also, fun story.

I went to a high school in Seattle. One day, I was getting my sports equipment out of my car in the parking lot after school. I see a massive amount of Samoans surrounding on a car. They're yelling over something, telling the driver to get out.

Then the driver fucking floors it and runs over like 4 Samoans.

So let me get this straight, when Disney makes a character who is intentionally designed to be obese and then make that character into a cheetah, everyone is completely okay with it.

But when they decide to make a character who is designed to look "big" yet strong, a design that many Disney films have done before at some point, then people start losing their fucking minds?

Yeah. Yeah, sure that makes TOTAL fucking sense.

absolutely beautiful

did he die?

>Synopsis
>In ancient Oceania in the South Pacific

>men and women from the last 100-200 years

what?

>it was extremely painful

I don't care if I get called a furry or whatever, but this is the reason why I prefer working with animal/non-human characters in my works. Less likely to get shit like this from people when not using humans.

yiff in hell, hitler.

No, they're Samoan. They're built like tanks.

>When we look at photos of Cheetah males and females from the last 100-200 years, most of these cats were not overweight and this negative stereotype of Clawhauser is just not acceptable

>it's okay cause he's gay

You aren't bright

All New Zealand has is kiwis, and all the evolutionary offshoots of said. Anyone who tells you different is an asshole.

>REMOVE MR INCREDIBLE YOU PRIVILEGED NON-CAUCS HOW DARE YOU CREATE AN OBESE DISGUSTING FAT CHARACTER WHITE YOU RACIST PIECES OF SHIT

wat

They ate poultry, reptiles and lots of starchy root vegetables as well as lots of heavy seafood and, in later eras, pork and macaroni dishes (white people stuff).

But he looks fucking awesome and templates are a bad thing. Maybe this will start a new trend with less same-face. Unlikely cause Moanna still has it.

Half of /fit/ would kill a man to have those gains.

So, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson doesn't have an issue with him. Want to know why? He knows the power behind muscle fat and also knows history.
If you were successful and rich, you were a bit overweight. It showed you had ample food but hey, what do I know...

That is such a bullshit "reason". Governments and the corporations that own them hate small farms and gardens and are constantly trying to pull that shit.

But Polynesians are fat and this is part of their evolution, this is so dumb, they critic because it's accurate

>He's not fat
>it's muscle fat
it's not even muscle fat.
It's that his muscles are so large in comparison to his height, that his muscles stand out more

>doesn't understand the term
Musclefat/strongfat means your BMI is higher. It doesn't mean you are fat, just that you aren't starving and dehydrating yourself to show off each individual muscle. Google it cunt.

Most people in America have never even heard of this supposed Polynesian fat stereotype.
She just sounds really defensive to me.

Samoans, man. Don't fuck with them ever. Luckily, they're one of the friendliest people if you have them as friends. I was getting jumped one time and this big Samoan kid in high school threw them like ragdolls.

That's because they're too busy bitching about the worldbuilding for the Harry Potter universe's Wizarding America indulging in too much cultural appropriation of Native religions.

That's the most accurate picture of Sup Forums ever created.

>create chubby female character
>joyful tears from empowered femmes around the world
>Put a li'l chub on a male character
>screams and consternation

Double standards?

so is fat American..

>“When we look at photos of Polynesian men and women from the last 100-200 years

Why the hell is she tossing out that timeframe restriction when the subject is question is from ancient mythology?

So even on Facebook it seems like normies know this is ridiculous. Hopefully we won't hear about it much after it stops trending this week.

The princess for this movie is fat too.

Why is no one complaining about that.

Because she isn't you fucking idiot. You're probably one of those guys who thinks any woman over 100 pounds is fat.

She's visibly fatter than the standard Disney princess.

I want this shit era of over sensitivity to end.

>any woman over 100 pounds is fat.
>implying thats not true
Don't be a faggot

Go ahead. Say 'bacon' again.

Is truth something to deny in order to not offend over sensitive twats?

The difference is this is a Disney Princess movie.

Seriously, the only reason nobody gave a fuck about Clawhauser is because nobody expected anything from Zootopia. But Disney Princesses are a multibillion a year franchise with high public visibility.

So whenever one comes out, allllll the little fringe groups come out of the woodwork eager to get their five minutes of fame by stirring up controversy.

We're also discussing a demi-god here, so he can probably look like whatever the fuck he wants.

>alot of ancient Polynesians would sometimes canoe across the sea for countless hours to get to different islands
>because of rigorous work like this with a lack of food, ancient polynesians developed genetics in which their bodies store more fat

I guess if you don't like any cushion for your pushin' whatsovever, yeah 100 lbs is ideal.

I mean this isn't fat...at all. This is bear mode.

But whatever starts the snowball of killing fat acceptance is entirely fine with me. Fat should never be on screen in any capacity unless the character is a pitiful absolute joke.

If this snowball means losing a bear for an otter, it's worth it.

Not "fatter" per se, but she isn't Barbie Doll skinny. Girl got a booty, nothing obese about that.

He turns into a fucking bird in the trailer.

Someone already made this joke.

Exactly! I thought this whole rib-showing, flat ass thing went out in the 90s.

Your so cool man, fuck the fatties yeah

I searched "world champion weightlifter" on Google Images.

Looks pretty similar to me.

>Don't smoke. It's disgusting and causes cancer
>Don't do drugs. You can OD and have a heart attack.
>Don't drive drunk, you could hurt yourself or other people.
>LOL it's okay to have a BMI of 40. Healthy at every size!

...but the Ilvermorny story was bretty gud.

A lot better than Cursed Child, jesus christ.

>tfw Hermiones a nigger now and most vocal HP fans are lib girls so you can't find anyone to complain with.

He looks like a power lifter with a bit of pudge, look at his fucking forearms he could rip off a car door. Retards

Did they recon the books? Will there be special edition for the movies?

played by the Rock...

If only critics would rage over this instead. Imagine what kind of future we'd have.