What are the best movies set in the Middle Ages?

What are the best movies set in the Middle Ages?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tze5jGZXJl8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anything Russian. They know how to do bleak right.

"Black Death" 2010

This is probably true. I've only seen one Russian film and it was some of the bleakest shit i've ever seen. Draining to watch.

Seventh Seal

>Anything Russian. They know how to do bleak right.
>middle ages was bleak
I hate this meme

It was an age of ignorance and filth and disease. Do you find that charming?

Not saying it was the best, but everyone portrays it as hell on earth. It was probably just like every other time, guy

>ignorance
shggy dggy

Andrei rublev
Markets lazarova
Valley of the bees

>ignorance
constant scientific and mechanical innovation
>filth
Medieval Nordic peoples bathed twice a week, more than many people here do now
>disease
plagues happened before and plagues happened after

>Medieval Nordic peoples bathed twice a week, more than many people here do now
Lot of other peoples did the same. Lot of the descendants of the celts bathed regularly, even if not, it was at least a weekly accordance in most places.

You're just wrong, American. The Middle Age was full of sacredness, beautiful poetry and beautiful music. Call this ignorance or lack of progress and I'll punch your face

>constant scientific and mechanical innovation
Yeah, at the cost of life in prison for speaking against the word of the church or whatever douchebag was in power at the time.

>The Middle Age was full of sacredness, beautiful poetry and beautiful music.
Back to your crystals, Dungeon Master.

Its like nobody has ever even read a history book

Right? Aristotle, for instance.

Flesh+Blood

Also not all Russian movies are bleak. Many are funny comedies.

The church actually protected scientific advancements. It wasn't until Gailileo that the church and science really butted heads.

>not all Russian movies are bleak.
Nobody said that.

I didn't say they were. Alexander Nevsky isn't very bleak, neither is Andrei Rublev, really

>neither is Andrei Rublev
Ehhh, I disagree. The movie pretty much revolves around pleasing whatever rich guy wants something, or dying.

Spot on depiction of life in the age of enlightenment.

ANDREI RUBLEV
/THREAD

THIS SHIT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE

name of the rose

Only the early medieval was that.

These, anyone else is a LARPING faggot.

really makes you think...!

Hard to be a God? If so I concur. Loved it

I was referring was Leviathan, Hard to be a God is on my list of shit to watch though.

Marketa Lazarová
youtube.com/watch?v=tze5jGZXJl8

Amazing film, but it's really a sci-fi flick.

Fucking r/atheism

Kladivo na čarodějnice (1969)

fuck

I'm not an atheist by any stretch. I simply won't dismiss Muslim tier behavior. Christians have a disgusting history in Europe, and it's not the fault of the Bible.

Údolí včel (1967)

>I have a temper tantrum every time someone insults my brainless beliefs so to cope I call him fedora

Shut up a little, burger

Why all of them in b/w?

I like colors :(

Canadian, akshewually.

It enhances the "bleakness".

Large parts of Canada are still stuck in the Middle Ages, so you really have no right to talk

But that would make me MORE qualified to speak on the topic, having experienced it first hand.

Large parts of my dick are still stuck in your ass

Post your dick

>I did watch this movie
>actually forgot I did or even that it was ever made until this post

For some reason seeing this picture made me remember that niggabro dies. He did die right?

probably doesnt qualify but the Kingdom of Heaven

>Yeah, at the cost of life in prison for speaking against the word of the church or whatever douchebag was in power at the time.

yup, monks spending every waking moment copying scholarly texts and preserving scientific discoveries dindu nuffin

this

we owe them everything

Hard To Be A God is as good as it gets. Each scene is so absolutely packed with detail, the set design is on another level altogether. You'd be fooled into thinking it wasn't straight up footage from the Middle Ages, impossible as that may be.

I've never been more engaged with a film in all my life

What middle ages kinos have period accurate clothing and sets? I'm tired of looking at faggot Game of Thrones/LotR costume and set design.

>preserving scientific discoveries
Yes, those few ideas that didn't conflict with the church's word. Anything else, you know, like the concept of a universe, or a round Earth, may as well have been the teachings of the devil. Details of how to make wine, while important, weren't exactly key to advancement.

OP here.

I see very nice suggestions and I'm writing some of them down to watch later.
Anyway I think I'm looking for more comfy films. Any ideas?

G O O D
O
Y

Hard to be a God caused such a massive constipation for decades to director, that he had to die in order for his son to smoosh that utter dross together into anything remotely veiw'able.
It's a mess in a worst possible way.

If you are serious about watching a good medieval movie, look no further than picrelated.

the only correct answer is Black Knight

And that was because Galileo portrayed his benefactor (a bishop iirc) as a drooling imbecile in one of his works, for god knows what reason.

it's a fucking mess, and if you don't see it - you're a brainless ponce that will blindly follow anything hip and niche to follow.

Maybe some indie production.

>Leviathan
which one?

unironically Monty Python and the Holy Grail :^)))

Galileo was a natural-born writer, he could have been a novelist as well

i couldn't stand it, made me sick

is it that violent?

it's not that violent, it's dirty
shit and maggots and mud everywhere and people with fucked up skin
and it's very slow, and long
also maybe i got bad subs but i couldn't understand some things properly

seems pretty much like a meme movie

It's was utterly shit. I mean I get the whole artistic angle, but you may still want to make your film at least somewhat watchable. Never before have I seen such a revolting, asphyxiating movie. I had to drop it out of sheer exhaustion.

A Knights Tale is the GOAT

It's probably nothing like you'd expect, honestly. It was sort of a parody of the middle ages. The main character is a scientist from another planet who is sworn to not intervene with the advancement of his hosts. Meanwhile, the natives are out eliminating anyone with more than two brain cells. Kinda like what happened on our planet.

The subs I've got are pretty bad, too. Luckily, there really wasn't much speaking going on, 3/4 of the characters were borderline retarded.

this one

Nope. Are you sure you watched it? He goes on to be the kang.

>couldn't hack the Dark Ages bants

A few people walked out of it when I saw it in cinema too

ARKHIPPPP
IM FLYING

ARKHIIIIIIP

Picture the people of todays Britain dressed in burlap. How is this not a disgusting, hell on earth, image?

Audio is terrible. Think it's all dubbed.

my favorite thing about russian directors is that they don't fall into the whole edgy/shock tactics that other european directors do. i don't know, from the small amount of russian cinema i've watched, they don't come across as purposely edgy just to be edgy like contemporary french films do.
i could just be a dumb pleb though.

bump for this

I'm autistic about realism and I can't find shit that isn't embellished upon in the setting, especially in medieval films

they didnt have colors back then you mong

also bumping for this

>runs a train on the White thot
>sticks with the Black princess
What did they mean by this?

Tits and boosh at less than 2 minutes in. This one's a keeper.

I've never seen a film fall apart more completely than that one did in the last fifteen minutes. Not even Dune at the half-way point.