Team Seven appreciation thread

So anyone else read these? Personally i really liked them, though i kinda disliked the DC remake in New 52.

For anyone who is unaware of what this is i'm willing to do a story time if anyone is interested. I'll even explain the New 52 version. To be honest i put this up here not because i expect a discussion, i really don't expect anyone to have read these, but because i dropped this panel in another thread and then went to sleep and i missed various anons asking what it was, so i figured i'd use it as a thread image and give them a chance to find out since that thread died and i never got a chance to answer their questions.

If your wondering whats happening in the above, its pretty simple. The eponymous Team Seven just survived a nuclear strike and are walking out.

last bump

I would mind a storytime. Though you didn't care for it, I'd like to see the New 52 version as well.

Thanks in advance.

>would mind
"would not mind"

Sorry about that. :(

Would you prefer New 52 or original?

Cover of first issue

I'll say lets go with New 52. I'm one of the ones who don't mind saying that they enjoyed most of what came out of it. Even though I missed this, apparently.

Thanks again. :)

Where's Naruto?

I only know team 7 from the few issues of gen13 I've read.

Shit, tell you what, i'll finish the first volume of the original, and then i'll go and do the N52 first issue. Wasn't getting an answer so i just got started. N52 was interesting, they used it as backstories for Death stroke and Canary, though i don't know if it didn't get retconned again within N52.

Interesting. (Finished Page 8 and haven't refreshed yet)

From simply reading and viewing these so far, I can see the appeal. It jumps straight into the action, so going in blind like this is a little confusing. The artstyle matches it prefectly. There's a lot of lingo and jargon that goes over my head, but I suspect they are immersible turn-ons to people that get it. Not too vulgar, which I personally appreciate, but there is a bit of gore, which strictly speaking isn't my cup of tea, though it's not over the top or anything (thus far).

No problem at all, and pardon my slowness, please.

That's actually a really good idea, to get a feel of both.

Ok, There's the first issue of the original run. Give me a second and i'll get going on the N52 first issue.

Thank you for your feedback, now that we have the rest of it up, would you like to discuss it a bit?

That's how i learned about it first as well. Technically i'm pretty sure the Team Seven comics were kinda like prequel offshoots.

Just finished page 16. One thing I have been able pick up is that this unit isn't completely united...

Ok, here's cover for the first N52, ya'll still there?

Ah, so going from the last few pages, they seem to be a sort of "dirty laundry" group. It's still on the fuzzy side for me, but that note adds a lot of clarity. Some of the 7's members seem borderline nutso, though, but I suppose they are tolerated for the most part. Or maybe not, considering their chains were yanked twice in one issue.

>Thank you for your feedback, now that we have the rest of it up, would you like to discuss it a bit?

We can for a bit, though I can't stay too much longer. Also, not too sure how much I can contribute beyond my original (and technically speaking, knee-jerk) first reactions.

Yeah, Black Bag spec ops. Knee-jerk reactions are fine.

I always wonder if I had to go out and find team 7 to get the full backstory of gen13.

Having read the whole of Team 7, i can safely say that while it provides a little backstory, it doesn't really tell you anything you don't all ready know. Honestly i think Team 7 was as much a prequel for Grifter as it was for Gen13. A lot of the focus was on Cash.

Ah, so so far, up to page 6, the New 52 version evokes some of the feeling of the pre-52 one, only with one or two more faces that I recognize, including the every elusive Grifter. Of note, it isn't 100% men this go-round.

This version provides a bit of set-up and background right from the get-go, and not gonna lie, I appreciate that. It doesn't linger, though, before getting knee-deep in action as well, which is also nice.

Though I can't pinpoint, I do recognize at least 1 name from both sides. Lynch. Can't put a face to it, though, not without "studying".

>Cash
So much for my memory and "familiar faces". I totally forgot Grifter's real name and it didn't dawn on me until now.

Still working my way through.

It is true the original didn't really have much explanation, it just kinda dropped you in. I think part of that was stylistic, but another reason was, like i said with the other user, im pretty sure it came out after Gen13 as a kind of Prequel, and a lot of the necessary background would have been in Gen13. Even without it i find it easy enough to figure things out, i mean how hard is it to see they are some sort of Elite military unit? Though it is kinda odd right at the beginning.

Personally i felt the tone was a little different, though in the ongoing issues they did do an interesting job of blending the original with Dc mythos, and one other comic, which i shant mention to save on spoilers in case i keep doing this in the future, but that savy readers may already have recognized as being blended in.

Alright pals and gals, there is the first issue for the New 52 run.

Forgot to drop this line. Personally i don't really care one way or the other on the inclusion of females in the team. Here there be spoilers explaining the representation of women in Team 7 If you keep reading the comic the most powerful psychic they meet (who ends up friendly actually) is female, and not even sexualized . But i think an all male team is reasonable when you consider that we are looking at a depiction of a spec ops team from the seventies. I'm pretty sure we don't have all that many women in our special forces even now, let alone the seventies.

Finished up to page 15.

Though there are aspects that intrigue with both versions, so far, I must say that the New 52 version draws me in a bit closer, at least thus far, though the first version definitely hooked me on that cliffhanger.

Both versions are filled cool and slick tough guy action, and I think that's the major draw for me regarding both (even if the jargon does over my head more often than not).

>i mean how hard is it to see they are some sort of Elite military unit? Though it is kinda odd right at the beginning.

Yeah, that dead drop in the beginning is a doozy and I didn't catch on that they were an Elite Squad of some kind until halfway in. Perhaps that's just me though. I'm not familiar with Gen13 beyond having heard the name before.

I'd say the first version was more on the grittier side. From what I've seen so far, New 52's version has some grit, but it's "tough-guy aura" is more on the suave side. The artstyle helps a lot in defining those differences.

Moving on to page 16 now.

>I didn't catch on that they were an Elite Squad of some kind until halfway in

Fair enough.

>I'd say the first version was more on the grittier side.

Oh absolutely, The DC version/remake is considerably lighter in tone and has a much more family friendly art style.

So anybody wanna see more? And if so 52 or original flavor?

Welp, I finished it now. I'll say that the first version makes me want to read more based on the cliffhanger alone, whereas the second version makes me want to read more based on being drawn in enough on the intro such that I'd love to see where it goes next.

I didn't intend to imply looking forward to women for the purpose of being lewd or anything, just that I'm generally used to both guys and gals in together on teams/etc,, such that I note when they are on teams/what have you alone. I do appreciate the creative reasons for them being "co-ed" and/or not, though.

Being honest, as I mentioned why above, I'm rather sold on both! :D I'd like to see the continuation of them both, even though that's a lot of trouble on your part. So in that sense, it'll be up to you.

Alas, I'm really sleepy now, so I'mma see what additional remarks you have to say before bowing out for now. I'll keep the thread up and refresh it later, though. Not sure if it'll be archived by then, but it will still be viewable.

Either way, thanks again! I'm glad I had a chance to read them. :)

No problem, thanks for reading.

Tell you what, i'll drop a bit more then sign off. If your off to sleep go ahead and find it in the archive later.

Story timing would be a good idea.

Will do.

Just in case it's not apparent, this is the second issue of the original.