The Cringe Island

so at what point cinema started to degrade as an artform? was it after 2008?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jMl1NbR0h_A
nationalreview.com/article/386468/year-culture-broke-armond-white
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

get fucked.

When the knee grows got uppity

it was definitely around teh start of this decade

i remember early 2000 movies being good but it going to shit around 2010

around the 1970s

I'm starting to believe that thing that says 2008 was the last good year.

I would say between 2008 and 2012, when studios decided to bet on the next big thing instead of producing good movies. Disney gave the mercy shot with the superhero cinematic universe powered by focus groups and the same plot over and over again.

Same here.

So since kino is dead, what should we watch now? Anime?

>not getting hype as fuck when John C. Reilly finally got to eat that hot dog while watching baseball

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Why the fuck would you do that? All anime is garbage for mentally stunted pedophiles

I just watched that shit. Whats the census here? The fights were alright.

2007 is the last year I can remember where multiple genuinely great films came out.

>No Country for Old Men
>There Will Be Blood
>The Assassination of Jesse James
>Zodiac
>Eastern Promises
>Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Should've just been 90 minutes of John C. Reilly being a goofball trying not to die. Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson were both boring as hell.

>studios betting on the next big thing
They've been doing this since the invention of sound in cinema, the film industry is no different than it was 60 or so years ago.

If you mean the American cinema, it had peaked by 1967.

Fortunately, there are other countries and other cinemas.

Writer's strike truly killed cinema

Late 60s is also where I'd put it. Though there was still some great artkino in the early to mid 70s

Look how medium~small budget movies almost disappeared. Now everyone wants the tent-pole franchise to release 3 movies every year, making 1 billion dollars worldwide each.

I think the New Hollywood was mostly trash. Very few of those films are better than the European works they're usually emulating/ripping off. Also, there's a generational narcissism which is really unpleasant to sit through. The real indie people were doing great work though, as were the surviving old masters.

>was it after 2008?

Year of the writer's strike

coincidence?

When people thought this ranked with some of the best films ever made.

It's all Spielberg's fault. The hollywood blockbuster marked the death of cinema

when iron man came out

I tend to agree. Some good ones I can think of, though

Barry Lyndon
Godfathers
Last Tango
Chinatown
Taxi Driver
Network
Days of Heaven
Apocalypse Now

Nah, it's the fact that no one else could follow him and do the same.

Spielberg was good but he is fading real fast. We just needed someone else to come along and take his place.

I haven't liked anything he's made this past decade. Bridge of Spies was utter shit

I'm not the guy you're replying.
What about Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy?

Jeff Sessions was great in that

Munich is his best film, though.

Not Spielberg.

when people decided to look for art in blockbusters

Barry Lyndon is a great film, but not New Hollywood - Kubrick started out in the fifties, and Barry Lyndon is his mature style, his particular kind of art cinema.
The Godfather films are worthless, Bertolucci + Visconti + hoke.
Last Tango is a Bertolucci film, not American.
Chinatown is okay up to a point, but it's not as good as Cul de Sac or The Tenant.
Taxi Driver is great.
Network is a late example of 50s pretentious TV playwrighting, the aesthetic is nothing.
Days of Heaven is okay.
Apocalypse Now is total trash, if you take away what's purloined in the aesthetic or the narrative, there's nothing left, and as a view of Vietnam, it's completely specious.

He definitely hit his highpoint in the 80's

Almost everything post 2000 is not great to utter shit

The way everyone on this thread seems to be treating "cinema" as synonymous with "American cinema" and "American cinema" as synonymous with "Hollywood" is the source of half their dissatisfaction.

Fuck! My bad.

Honestly what was the point of this scene

The point is "fucking dinosaur!!"

Wasn't necessarily talking about New Hollywood in particular, just American cinema in the 70s.

I see that sentiment a lot about the Godfather films on here. I'll have to give them another watch. It's been probably fifteen years since I've seen them.

You got me there. For some reason I remembered it being an American production and release by Bertolucci.

Agreed on Chinatown.

I think Network is good, not great, and totally disagree on Apocalypse Now.

Oh well. At least we got a bit of titty.

>Apocalypse Now is total trash, if you take away what's purloined in the aesthetic or the narrative, there's nothing left

What a fucking retard.

i didn't manage to watch that far, too much cringe

When you grew up, you cynical rose-tinted glasses wearing faggot.

Brie "I love black cock" Larson

>something something send the cavalry
>I am the cavalry

kill yourself

Wrong 2006 was the last good year

2007 is considered the year where everything went to shit
Mainstreaming of social media
PRISM Internet-spying program begins
The Big bang theory
Tumblr founded
iPhones
The Cake is a Lie
Keep Calm and Carry on
Economic crash
Crank That Soulja Boy
Keeping Up with the Kardashians
Obama begins his campaign
History Channel begins to show not-history shows

Coincidence? I think not.

2007 is widely considered the year where everything went to shit
2007-08 Writers' Strike
Mainstreaming of social media
PRISM Internet-spying program begins
The Big bang theory
Tumblr founded
Michael Bay's transformers
iPhones
The Cake is a Lie
Keep Calm and Carry on
Great Recession begins
Crank That Soulja Boy
Keeping Up with the Kardashians
Obama begins his campaign
History Channel begins to show not-history shows

>Keep Calm and Carry on
what has this got to do with 2007?

You should watch the words in a book as you read them.

2007 is when Keep calm and carry on (a very cancerous meme) first appeared on Google Trends

Holy shit.

Also,
>Iron Man 1

Pretentious douchebag.

Alien 3 probably, when studio interference literally destroyed the film

This, thank you based user.
Weebfags should have their feet cut off then their legs cut off then shot and killed.

There's a certain sickness/wrongness in the world now and a lot of that is perpetrated by the media.

There's always been a tug of war between art and commerce. I don't mind it. With so many mediums and avenues available now, there's so much more opportunity for creators to deliver.

Godzilla was so much better than this. Samuel L Jackson is awful, he's just a meme machine. This one should have cut 50% of the dialogue. Dear Billy, YOUR DAD IS DEAD, YOU LITTLE SHITHEAD

Around the same time television and the internet also became shitty.
I blame Obama.

I thought Iron Man 1 was pretty good actually. It had a unique flavour to it that the later MCU movies did not have.

Jaws (1975) or around then. Movies returned to being a visual spectacle rather than things that were supposed tell us about the human condition.

What an absolutely cretinous dichotomy.

ITT: 20 somethings pine for good old days that they never actually saw

>Obama begins his campaign
bullshit, Obama's presidency wouldn't have been so bad if bush hadn't left him with a shitty ass economy

You can't deduce the decline of a medium from a few disappointing years in one stream of the medium in one country.

Most of what's wrong with big-budget Hollywood films in 2017 is a development of what was wrong with them in 2002. The superhero genre targets an undiscriminating demographic who will go and watch movies they expect to hate for completism's sake. Once consumer satisfaction is no longer really part of the equation, because your audience have to come to your movies because their social lives revolve entirely around media consumption, the game is permanently rigged for the producer against the disinterested (in the true sense) consumer.

More like
>Honestly what was the point of this movie
This film is pretty much done just to give them a reason to release another Godzilla film then set up a Godzilla vs King Kong film

>So at what point cinema started to degrade as an artform?

1980, Heaven's Gate, and the end of director-driven cinema.

Cinema died after Jaws and Star Wars.

when was transformers? I feel like it was around the first transformers

I blame the MCU.

You know there are nudes out there, right?

CGI. The Matrix is the only movie to not ruin itself with it. Practical sets bring better performances out of the actors.

>muh blockbuster killed cinema

TV, VHS, DVDs, Internet and technology in general killed cinema. When you look at it, cinema is an ancient practice from days when showing moving pictures had to be collectivized because of the cost. Bringing tens or even hundreds of people to watch a movie together? What for? Every single one of them now has a screen at home. Cinema is an overpriced product that companies try to push through deception and monopolies. Let it die.

Jaws is kino. The dialogue shits all over the majority of modern movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=jMl1NbR0h_A

Nah, 2014 was the most kino year in recent memory. We got:

Gone Girl
Boyhood
Interstellar
Foxcatcher
Whiplash
Nightcrawler
Grand Budapest Hotel
Leviathan
Noah
Two Days, One Night
Inherent Vice
Calvary

>"Give me a kiss"
>"Why?"
>"'Cause I need it"

Gets me every time. Jaws is brilliant.

pretty much.

better movie than anything Marvel made after.

No, we definitely saw it. Anyone saying the 60s, 70s, or 80s is dumb. 2007-2008 is the correct answer. We were all alive before that.

post her leaks

2016 was good
Batman v Superman Ultimate cut edition
Nice Guys
Accountant
Live by Night
Tarzan
Autopsy of Jane Doe
Doctor Strange

I found it funny because it was suppose to be the noble sacrifice but he fucked up beyond belief.
Like in Aliens when Vasquez tries to set of the grenade but its a dud.

>bait
>bait
>mega bait
>small bait
>bait the size of a fucking skull crawler

This movie should've been about Vietnam soldiers being sent to Monster Island. Loki and Tittie McBoobs were unnecessary characters

Brie was so stupid. Bitch of a photographer and then out of nowhere can aim a flare perfectly into the eye of a skull crawler.

Those two were pointless.

Don't forget the random Asian chick who was the black guys waifu. Most our of place character.

These cock suckers look at the stupid shit people are watching on youtube and realize most media consumers are absolute nigger faggots and kids (or both) so why even try to create a good product? Poop, candy, kid punishment, and pedo cartoon character videos get a hundred million views on fagtube.

Entire fucking company should be shut down but the government no doubt uses Google as a massive data mining tool.

>he says this on a site founded by weebs and filled with weebs

When did Sup Forums become hipster and elitist?

2008 was when Sup Forums went to shit and all you normies started flooding in.

When film discussion became dominated by plebs like you, who just saw the new yify rip of the latest meme flick and rush to Sup Forums with your doritos-encrusted fingers to shoot out a thread about it

nationalreview.com/article/386468/year-culture-broke-armond-white

who would want to pay to see trash like this?

The only real answer to that question is post 2000. It's when studios started investing massive amounts of money into huge franchises. The Star Wars prequels started in 1999, as did The Matrix, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter started in 2001. I think the first Pirates movie came out around then too. They were all great movies but it really ushered in the era of "franchise movies", and making movies by committee. It eventually led to the shit we have now.

blame hackson, for his cgi shit that got all the jews high on that shit like cocaine in a kindergarden.

pretty much.