Miyazaki

What's the best Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli film? Pic related. Controversial subject matter, actual conflict, romance..... it's got it all! Definitely not a pg movie like to Totoro or KiKi's.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=imtdgdGOB6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=z2PkDZgLD_8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mononoke-hime

Sherlock Hound is the only Miyazaki thing I like.

Howl's Moving Castle will always be my favourite for personal reasons, and the music.

porco rosso for me

i'd love to see a live action adaptation done by hollywood
cant be worse than the kiki live action

the porco rosso world has got to be my favourite out of all the ghibli films

Princess Mononoke is my favorite. I thought Princess Kaguya was easily the best later Ghibli movie.

Better question. Why are you not even pretending to make this belong on Sup Forums?

I've been watching a lot of Ghibli movies lately and while The Wind Rises was interesting, Porco Rosso was by far the most enjoyable and endearing. Such a feel good movie.

I can't pick favorites, but I want to call out Castle if Cagliostro.

It's a near perfect rip-roaring adventure film, fun and entertaining from start to finish.

Maybe TCM's having a Miyazaki marathon.

FIRST Ghibli is not even honorary Sup Forums

Pic related is not a fantastic adventure we were used to get from SG, instead it's a artistic revision of a biopic with some features of magic realism just as a Terry Gilliam film.

As an adult i felt identified with Jiro

TCM isn't Sup Forums either.

Hard to chose. There's a lot of good stuff to pick.
Though I could tell you I didn't like Ponyo one bit.

This ain't weeb trash though, it's Miyazaki.

No anime is weeb, and Miyazaki isn't any more Sup Forums than Oreimo is.

Investors told him he couldn't make this movie because there was no comic book to go with it.

A year later, the comic the number 1 seller in the country.

That's pretty gangsta.

mononoke kiki and spirited are my fovorites

And after that Ghibli couldn't make a hit if there was no Hayao Miyazaki to go with it.

>that really old nausica doujin where she breeds with bugs

one of my first awkward faps

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS!

Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are my personal favourites.

Top 3:
Kiki's Delivery Service
Nausicaa
My Neighbor Totoro

Marnie be creepin', yo.

Princess Kaguya was really good. When Marnie was There wasn't amazing but I thought it was still a worthwhile movie.

is there any studio ghibli movie I should avoid watching dub? I enjoy sub but I often enough want to focus all my time on the art instead of reading the sub (been times when I rewatch a Japanese dubbed movie direct after I watched it just to see the art without distraction.

If Kiki and Spirited Away are any indication, just avoid all of them. Disney couldn't resist the temptation to fuck around with the scripts and add their own fanfiction to them.

This, my god this.

The Nausicaa manga is my favourite thing Miyazaki's done but Porco Rosso has to be one of my all-time favourite films full stop.

Absolutely agreed op. This was such a complicated subject matter. Miyazaki actually got shit on by western critics for "white washing" the war aspects and not making Japan mustache twirling villain.
Sup Forums are too elitist to talk about Miyazaki. Can't have enough threads dedicated to moefaggotry though.

Listen to
Even if you don't understand Japanese, the voice actors are better, the inflection is appropriate, and the translation is probably more reliable than the Western Production companies fucking with stuff.

Sup Forums being shit doesn't mean Sup Forums shit doesn't belong there.

Also, I see multiple shonenshit threads at this moment. If Sup Forums is now casual enough to accept Naruto and Bleach threads, it'll accept Ghibli easily.

>Absolutely agreed op. This was such a complicated subject matter. Miyazaki actually got shit on by western critics for "white washing" the war aspects and not making Japan mustache twirling villain.
Did they really? Because the movie's just about an engineer designing planes and the civilians in Japan. To present them as villains would be silly.

I think you guys could just as easily scrolled past this instead of interrupting conversation and circle jerking. It's a fucking cartoon. Fuck off.

And the voices and the script the actors read from are what the original creators came up with. They're part of the work as much as the music, editing or colors are.

It's off topic. Fuck off.

If it was just a cartoon then we wouldn't have separate boards for Sup Forums and Sup Forums.

You want conversation, go to the right board and stop pushing board relevant threads off.

>It's a fucking cartoon.

We still have a board dedicated to your shit OP. Get the fuck in there.

Grave of the Fireflies fucked me up a lot, but Castle in the Sky I think is my favorite if only for the reason it was the only Studio Ghibli film I saw until three years ago when my history of animation prof showed us Spirited Away and I decided to watch all the Ghibli fims.

the relationship was a bit too japanese to relate to but i loved it despite the lack of a fantasy element desu

probably howl's moving castle
le royaume des chats is also great

i asked a girl to go with me to the wind rises while it was playing at TIFF
she said she was busy

Her loss, eh senpai?

my sister and i used to love watching kikis delivery service and totoro on vhs
made her come with me to see howls moving castle the other year while it was playing in a theatre and she really liked it

I saw it in the cinema too, and there were some kids there for no reason other than that it was animation. It wasn't even dubbed. Later I saw the library had put the movie in the teens/kids section.

Just be sure to check whether the subs you use are dubtitles or not. I tried watching Spirited Away with subs, but I realized a fourth of the way through that it was literally the dub script.

You already mentioned the best Ghibli.

Disney is such a small company that they couldn't possibly afford real subtitles.

I remember Kiki's subs having some weird things going on, but I don't think they were dubtitles. Or they were slightly edited dubtitles.

>Disney is such a small company that they couldn't possibly afford
what

When I was little my local library used to do daily animated film showings during the summer holidays for the kids. Just me and a bunch of other 8 or 9 year olds in the room. And they put on fucking Grave of the Fireflies.

There's a dvd release for Kiki's Delivery Service back in 2010 where they trimmed off all kinds unnecessary dialog that came from the original Disney dub. There's a lot less of Phil Hartman, and a lot less of the crummy jokes and ramblings that he might of improvised.

Also this dvd has the subs for Japanese, French, and I think maybe even in German

>I still have the collectible lithograph it came with the dvd

only 2 mentions of kaguya hime

get some taste,Sup Forums

youtube.com/watch?v=imtdgdGOB6Q
i looked up the trailer to this film and recognized the music and thought really hard about where i heard it from
THAT ONE FUCKING YUME NIKKI FAN ANIMATION
youtube.com/watch?v=z2PkDZgLD_8

Yeah, some critics actually did get mad that Japan was being portrayed in good light and some were pissed off that movie didn't focus on War aspects.

Which is your daughteru?

All of them.
Does Sup Forums actually hate Miyazaki? I don't go on there often enough to know.

>Pom Poko

Isao Takahata is neglected; I think. Always overshadowed by Miyazaki, but his stuff has the same storytelling depth and balance of comedy, tragedy, adventure and fantasy. Pom Poko's the best of them.

>My Neighbors the Yamadas

Love the vignette style of storytelling. It's paced like a Charlie Brown cartoon with a lot of quick gags and mundane stories that are made lively by the sense of humor of the characters. The water color style was a merciful change of pace from the Ghibli house style, too. I like Miyazaki, but his character designs are as limited as Bruce Timm's. Too many templates.

>Porco Rosso

Miyazaki's best flick. Not too up its own ass with messages, every character has an element to them that's likeable, even the various villains. The early aviation era and island settings are gorgeous, again finding that blend of historic reality and mythical fantasy.

>SHIT TIER

>Tales from Earthsea

Holy shit, it's practically unwatchable. How did they fuck a movie up that bad?

>Not quite Ghibli but worth watching

>The Topcraft/Rankin Bass co-productions

Castle in the Sky is technically a Topcraft movie and led the way to the studio rebranding as Ghibli. But before that they did a bunch of co-productions with Rankin Bass. Not all of them are great (Return of the King), but visually they have a unique look to them that looks very European in its fantasy elements and character design. Like those Swedish troll books.

Apparently.

Pic related. Fuck you all. I'm glad I posted this here, where people are interested in the topic.

No, they'll have threads about ghibli, but often they'll contradict themselves stating they don't want to spam ghibli all the time, while they're okay with talking about that shitty new DBZ show, Umaru, lolis, and that one faggot who posts Card Captors Sakura lewds all the time

That Sup Forums thread comes across as a shitpost so no wonder it was deleted.