Daily Japanese Thread #1956

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TRaZpz72SdE
fluoridealert.org/studies/brain01/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

乙!

alright I know over 1800 kanji
what am I able to read now?

are you doing RTK?

What is RTK?

heisig's Remembering the Kanji

No I am not doing that

ok, so what do you mean with "knowing" kanji, do you know how to read them or just their meaning?

Absolutely nothing at all, because you need vocabulary and grammar as well.

>alright I know over 1800 kanji
>what am I able to read now?

over 1800 kanji

yes
but I know grammar and vocabulary? I know over 4k words

you could start with easy SoL manga basically

Recommend me one with fighting and lots of sex, would appreciate it if it was combined

I guess you could try Highschool of the Dead or Prison School, but you'd spend a lot of time on looking up words

Is RTK worth doing user?

Can someone help me out here?
寝顔がすごく気持ち悪いので、インコが目覚める朝まではその姿を隠させていただいているのだ。
What exactly is going on here
>隠させていただいている
Is he saying he gets to wake him up like it's a privilege?

On 2 circumstances:
1. you plan on writing (a lot) in Japanese by hand for some reason and
2. you already speak a good amount of Japanese

I'd rather not waste my time on RTK if I'm learning the language. Spending 30 minutes a day doing that shit for 3 months might sound trivial, but when you realize at best it's only mildly useful and at worse it actually confuses you when you learn new words, it's not really worth it.

Thank you very much, I'll just stick to Anki

Read the introduction to the first book and do the first few lessons. By that point you should have formed your own opinion about whether to continue using it or not.
These threads are only useful for technical questions and grammar questions and the last thing you want is the subjective opinions about different resources from these autistic clowns.

これをお読んで、間違いをお正してください。

批判を差し上げてお願いします。

ありがとうございます。

can someone please tell me what is written on her belly?

beneath the bellybutton "virgin" (yea sure), can't read the first word though

I understand this sentence 姿を隠させていただいている like ~(is so kind) to let me hide my appearance~

csing csong csingi csong csing csong dong ping pong uwu senpai kawaii baka csang -san-chan-kun puru puru purururin! Hentai baka moe csing csong shit xenophobic culture senpai desu~~~ csang gonna csing die out UWUUUUU desu desu niko niko niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ;333

He's talking about his beloved pet ugly bird.

I'm reading Tae Kim's guide and I don't remember every single grammar rule, conjugation, etc. This normal? I have to keep looking back at the guide for things I'm forgetting.

Also, how do you know when you're ready to start reading basic stuff?

Yes, everyone who's gotten really good has done it. It makes it so easy to associate words with keywords rather than abstract squiggles

>Also, how do you know when you're ready to start reading basic stuff?
You're ready now.
>This normal?
Yes, because you're not reading basic stuff.

you could have posted more context, I was missing an は here (and the fact it's a fucking bird), which was as expected in the previous sentence

>とにかく高須家ではインコはこう飼っている。
>寝顔がすごく気持ち悪いので、インコが目覚める朝まではその姿を隠させていただいているのだ。

I read it like "because his sleeping face is totally revolting, (they kindly) let him hide his appearace until the morning when Inko wakes up" aka they probably put a piece of cloth over his cage

>I don't remember every single grammar rule

Either put the Tae Kim sentences into Anki or read so much that you come across all forms of grammar daily.

>Also, how do you know when you're ready to start reading basic stuff?

Day 1

Yeah bro, I got all that. I wanted to know what all this was about
>隠させていただいている
Is the いただいている == いただく?

Could be Chinese
>聖処女
>holy virgin

>Is the いただいている == いただく
well since I don't know what else it could be, yea

Can you guys elaborate on why I'm already able to read "basic" stuff?

you don't need to remember everything from TK, basically you read it once and then use it as reference whenever you're confused about something
learning grammar only theoretically doesn't work, you have to see it in native material

most people start with Yotsuba, you could try that

Question: Do you intend to read things where you understand every single word? Do you intend to reach that goal within the next five years?

You're going to be looking stuff up and half-understanding shit for years anyway. Might as well start now.

Steps to reading "basic" stuff.
>learn the kana
>read TK
Go. Read.

Does anyone have a pdf of Kanzen Master N3 Reading/Dokkai? The Grammar book is great but Reading is the only one I've not been able to find for some reason.

Missing a huge step.
Learn Kanji!

>A or B?
>yes

>but I know grammar and vocabulary?
Not a question. Ask your doctor to raise your Adderall dosage.

did any good jdrama get released lately?

Is ではありません the polite じゃない?

Technically, it's the polite form of ではない, as there is also じゃありません, but yeah, all four are the same.

I read a whole page today and it only took me 30 minutes.

I don't quite understand the second part of this sentence

This is the sentence directly preceding btw. 香澄さん is the proprietor of an inn that the police officer had directed me towards. It appears he has something of a crush on her.
>こらこら、香澄さんがあんまり美人だからって変なきを起こすんじゃないぞ。
>旦那が亡くなってから、ずっと一人身を守って来た人なんだからな。

I'm guessing he is saying that he has been protecting her singleness from people ever since her husband died but I don't rightly understand the grammar of the latter part at all. Is ”一人身を守って来た” all a relative clause modifying 人? Please break it down very autistically for me.

Are they kidding me that らりるれろ should be pronounced like la li lu le lo?

It sounds like fucking ra ri ru re ro to me.
You know, like in Spanish. Not the hard double RR but just the soft r.

Or is this just an anglo speaker thing?

>he has been protecting

She's been protecting her own hitorimi.

A page of what?

I don't know how to explain it autistically but basically what it means is that everything before the last 人 is describing the person.
"She is someone who has kept herself single ever since her husband died" more or less. Like he's telling the police officer to give it up.

La and ra sound the same to the Japanese like many Spanish speakers don't know the difference betweeen the ve and be sounds in English.

Ah, ok, that makes more sense, I think I was getting tripped up by the 来た

I'm proud of you user, just keep reading more and often so you gradually increase your speed

I'm not.

Everyone starts from somewhere, perhaps even you once took 30 minutes to read a page, stop acting like a cunt

いい子いい子

Me too! Page related.

a wise teacher knows when to encourage students and when to be a sarcastic cunt who shits al over them

A literate person knows when to punctuate sentences and when to capitalize.

kys autist

来る (unless written in kana) more often than not means the full verb and not the auxiliary, which is why it's easy to think in that direction. I don't think the use of 来る here is technically right because of this, but a native can correct me here.

Remember guys, you can do it! It doesn't matter if you're converting to Islam against your will or you have to duck stray bullets while you run through your favela, it's all possible! Japanese is at your fingertips, just let it happen and you'll see victory!

in america you just duck bullets

毎日大学で日本語を話しま
2時に図書館で雑誌を読みます
4時半に家で音楽を聞きます
3時に喫茶店でコーヒーを飲みます
今晩家でテレビを見ます

Are these all correct?

t. reading Genki I

>Genki

should be fine

毎日大学で日本語を話しますぞい
2時に図書館で雑誌を読みますぞい
4時半に家で音楽を聞きますぞい
3時に喫茶店でコーヒーを飲みますぞい
今晩家でテレビを見ますぞい

ftfy

レズビアンのポルノのような日本の人は?

失礼だよ
涼風青葉は純粋な乙女だよ

How do I read this fucking Kanji?

Have you tried using your eyes?

How do I pronounce it?

Back ward E with grass on top

But say it fast

on its own its とう

download rikaikun kouhai

The proper terminology is pubes not grass

Now only infinite more to learn!

infinite-1 more

What part of Japan are you from, アノン君?

These two are my favorite Kanjis:

幽霊

Ohio

But currently getting my phd in tokyo

You should see this:

youtube.com/watch?v=TRaZpz72SdE

2spoopy

What is Japanese TV like in general? Is it mostly comedy/variety shows?

He set up a pretty good defense of tables in a short amount of time.

Its like tv anywhere else, mostly shitty dramas

自殺

Don't forget to avoid fluoride in order to improve your retention rate!
fluoridealert.org/studies/brain01/
頑張って!

>Its like tv anywhere else
I mean, American TV is pretty damn good, user. I want to learn Japanese but lets not pretend it's for their prowess with a camera. The same holds true for pretty much everywhere else on Earth. With the exception of a few British and Canadian TV shows, the world's television quality is reaaaally subpar.

if you like moshe goldbergs latest blacked propaganda then i see where youre coming from

>American TV is pretty damn good
Good joke, you should become a comedian instead of wasting time learning Japanese

Let American have their delusions. They'll get replaced soon enough, they're in their death throes.

Can I attach 続ける to させる to mean "let someone keep doing something?

>avoiding fluoride
>learning japanese
pick 1

Sounds like this guy wants to NTR the widow

I listen to some characters who are royalty or noblewoman speak with a very polite Japanese

They use わたくし for example, but I noticed they also use ですわ. Is that just an extremely polite です?

It's a more polite and feminine version of です, used only by the best of girls

だれか?

yes させ続ける
every ~ますverb can be turned into ~続ける
書き続ける
読み続ける
勉強し続ける etc.

So I could say

止めろ この悪魔
世界の無邪気な女性をレイプさせ続けない

これをお読んで、間違いをお正してください。
→これを読んで、間違いを正してください。
批判を差し上げてお願いします。
→批判をお願いします。
or 批判を頂(いただ)きたく存(ぞん)じます
(excessively polite)
「差し上げる」is 謙譲語, not 尊敬語

1か月に1回:once a month
おいしそうにお茶を飲む:
drink the tea with relish
cf. おいしそうなお茶を飲む:
drink the tea which looks delicious

"I am pleased that my mom was happy (with the Tea Ceremony)."

Wouldn't that mean "keep on letting someone do it"?
I think 続かせる makes more sense, but I'm no authority.

What does なんか mean in this situation?