Why is Morrison so bad at transitions? He never ends a scene...

Why is Morrison so bad at transitions? He never ends a scene, a new one just begins in the next panel with out any closure to the last or opening to the next.

I like Morrison, but he cannot into transitions.

His transitions in Action were Zach Snyder-tier desu

I would argue that he does it because a comic book allows the reader to go back to the previous panel if they are confused about something. So rather than writing a movie-esque comic with scene transitions, Morrison forces the reader to pay attention to background details and throwaway lines of dialogue in order to fully understand the order and significance of each event.

Personally I enjoy it, because it's a style of writing that can only really work in comics and I'm also partial to authors that encourage close reading through their writing styles

But it's Kino when Snyder does it

But it breaks flow to have to keep going back

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Can you provide an example?

boo hoo

That's the point. Morrison doesn't write with flow when it comes the scene transitions and the larger ideas of the work.

When Morrison's stories do start to flow it's usually during the action scenes. He's great at working with artists who convey a narrative through body language and movement (quitely is the obvious example).

This helps gives the action scenes more punch as they feel different from the rest of the book

Butthurt, Morrisonfriend?

>IT'S NOT A FLAW, IT'S A FEATURE

Yes you simplified my argument into green text. Am I meant the interpret that as some sort of criticism?

That's fucking terrible. The action is crap because in general whatever the fuck he's conveying is happening isn't fucking clear besides a summersault and then a shitty fist fight shown mostly from the shoulders and panning away. It's not fucking real life you do shots that you couldn't make in real life without sitting on their balls.

I can get the gist, but it's not impressive. Hell, it's below average.

>bottom of page
>"First half of a sentence....."
>end scene
>Top of next page
>".....second half of sentence"
>new scene

Every comic book writer does this.

Morrison isn't all that great. He's very average usually (peaking at very good, never great) and is liked more for his cult of personality and All Star Superman being some Magnum Opus for DC.

Who are your favorite comic book writers?

meme

Read Flex Mentallo before having an opinion on Morrison.

I know. The guy is complaining that Morrison never transitions and I posted what literally everyone ever does in pretty much every comic.

Because Morrison, when not controlled by editor, has a bad tendency of focusing so much on his ideas that he forgets about storytelling.

I really disagree. I think the way the panels change shape and move with the characters gives the fight a dynamic feel and accurate shows just how quickly and precisely Dick moves. The way he knocks the Siamese triplets off panel creates a sense of force and power.

I would rephrase what you said be saying that it's a pretty basic action sequence that Morrison and Quitely elevate.

Don't really understand your point about "mostly from shoulders then panning away". Only one panel is from the shoulders and in every other one someone is making contact.

You seem sincere, but this is all buzzwords at this point. Any juicy criticism about some of what you would call lacklustre modern stuff?

I did. It's okay. Simple, but not anything I haven't read. Metacommentary doesn't equal great. I hated the art. The themes and story isn't special to me in any sense.

We3 is shit to me. Quitely is hugely overrated.
I don't really have any. Comic writers anything special to me. You can read one for decades, but they are as stagnant as the Big Two in regards to most of there themes and plots. Morrison's a wannabe yippie with a huge ego.

Comics as a whole is a lot of nostalgia and marketing using big names.

>We3 is shit to me. Quitely is hugely overrated.

>overrated
>is shit to me

Buzzword-tier review senpai

>I hated the art

I don't see how you see that. There is no "force". It's like British teeth on top, but it really doesn't add any sense of speed or power. Just pulling motion one way. There is dynamism in the poses, but it's to stiff. It works for a poser, but even some of the smoke trailing his cape would help convey motion. But it's just there!!! No movement. I feel like he's adding exclamation marks to Batman with the poses rather than use the smoke to accent his movements. It's a moment where the world stops and is static.

Same guy. I don't like Morrison because he is the fanboy writer. But the fanboy who wants to be Moore, Byrne, Miller, Claremont, and Lee. He wants to be famous, but doesn't want to be agressive. Has a cult of personality around himself with drug use and wanting to do crazy shit like fucking the DC universe His stories morals, although his own, do not change. He relies too much on metacommentary. Tries to be very progressive while capturing Silver Age nostolgia. Don't like his Superman doesn't feel like Midwestern farmers boy (Waid does this, too) makes him into generic altruist, too much for my taste. They want to say how silly a Superman is like how he should do everything without realizing that a story can be a story without referencing it's nature or inverting or subverting tropes. Lot of British writers piss me off with it, can't stop jerking themselves off.

Does Quitely have Parkinson's? Because it looks like it. Makes his characters look like they have alligator skin. He should draw the TMNT, but not the shells. It looks like it's organic, but how a robot would make organic. Bumpy and wrinkled almost everywhere.

Why people like him is a mystery.

It's my opinion. He's very bad at motion, good at stature. Designs are lacking in a feeling of how muscles and machines work a lot of the time. His eyes are rather unimpressive, don't feel emotion, it's like bad make-up.

>Comics as a whole is a lot of nostalgia and marketing using big names.
Guess someone's not an actual comics reader and fan.

It's been that way for a while. Image uses it, smaller brands use it, Underground had it's own form.

>it's not impressive. Hell, it's below average.
And what is average then?

>Don't like his Superman doesn't feel like Midwestern farmers boy (Waid does this, too) makes him into generic altruist, too much for my taste.
Post-Crisisfags were a mistake

Not really getting what you are saying about movement. Do you have an example of movement you like in comics?

The Morrison wanting to be famous stuff seems a bit incoherent as well. Not really sure what you mean when you say he doesn't want to be aggressive; the book he got famous for, Arkham Asylum, is about as edgy and out there as it gets.

Definitely disagree with his superman being generic. That might apply to all star, but in action comics Clark has a distinct personality and really feels like a farm kid trying to make it in the world on his own. I agree that he was relying on fifth world shit too much, but Wonder Woman earth one doesn't have that at all and I felt like his newer stuff like annihilator and multiversity did a better job of incorporating the concept of fiction being reality into the story itself rather than it feeling like a weird Easter egg. I definitely don't feel like a writer returning to the same themes and ideas is inherently a negative thing though, as long as they continue to explore them in interesting ways.

Really not sure what you are saying at the end there. You think Morrison is making fun of superman?

>Really not sure what you are saying at the end there. You think Morrison is making fun of superman?

I think that user is viewing Morrison's comics the same way that John Byrne does (and not just with Morrison but with other British writers). He's probably feeling that the superhero medium isn't really being respected by them.

I don't agree, of course. Sure, sometimes the jabs can get overbearing but satirical nature works for the superhero genre.

>Write the greatest Superman and Batman runs of all time
>Some dumb fuck who doesn't understand the minimum requirements of English syntax starts talking shit on a Lithuanian manga board

baka

>Write the greatest Superman and Batman runs of all time

No, man. No.

>All-Star Superman
>Not best Superman

>Bat Epic
>Not best Batman

Step up, then, cuck. Let's see your shit taste.

Read indies, and im not talking about image shit. Fantagraphics, D&Q, koyama e.t.c. is where people go to use the form in interesting ways to tell stories that aren't marketing pitches. If you dont like non-action comics read stuff like cerebus, usagi yojimbo, hellboy, kaijumax, e.t.c. comics is not as narrow as you think, but the shittiest market driven ones are the ones that can afford to advertise most so it gives people a warped perception. Even the best of marvel and dc generally is forced to compromise in some way to preserve the brand or to hit a checkbox with some silly gimmick

Darkhorse is aight. Fantagraphics is hipster shit and everything is exaggerated.

Comics are a very low form of entertainment. And most if not all of the stories are imitations of something better.

These posts sound insincere. Is this bait?

Because people are too accustomed to movie scripts, and cinematic comics now. They expect comics to flow like movies rather than be read as a comic.

It's shows Superman's life from the view of a five dimensional being. Post crisis fags have shit taste with nostalgia to soap opera writing hacks like Loeb, Byrne and Jurgens and fall for cheap gimmicks like Lois-Clark marriage

Not true, read something by chris ware for a story that is inarguably a comic rather than a movie chopped into stills.
And dark horse is fucking awful mate, most of their output now is just rejected image comics

Read The Invisibles, We3 and Doom Patrol and come back here

>read comics
The fuck?

3 of morrisons weakest, read zenith and st swithins day for both kinds of morrison comic at their absolute best.

Not the same user, but St Swithin's day is not good. Only We3 is weak from those and never got the hype for it, but Doom Patrol and Invisibles are Morrison's best.

Going back is the flow of Morrison comics.

This, the people mad about that are idiots that want more movie like experiences.

>3 of morrisons weakest
meme

Comics should have a proper structure, not flow.

this

>boo hoo

Is not an argument in the first place you literal retard

this

>triggering Morrisonfags: The Thread
I love it

All-Star Superman is just a collection of scenes. And his run on Batman was embarrassing

Morrison's only good when he's doing his weird shit, and he still doesn't get shit like the fact that the Charlton Comics characters aren't literally the Watchmen

>Morrison's only good when he's doing his weird shit

His Batman run was pretty fucking weird. Maybe you should read it again.

> his All Star is just a collection of scenes
> his Batman is embarrassing

We all get that you don't like good writing, but maybe expand on these points a little bit so that you don't seem absolutely retarded

What the guy is trying to say - in a really obnoxious way - is that big two comics, rather than explore comics' narrative potential, rely on some wordless novel level of framing and leaving the rest of the action for the imagination of the reader.

While that might indeed be a legitimate complain, it does sound whack with Morrison, who always does the "themes from next scene will be foreshadowed in the background" gimmick, and as some dude pointed out earlier, one of Morrison's favourite aspect of comics is indeed the possibility of going back and forth the pages, and his action scenes with Quitely are just crazy intense, and their solutions are always deserving of some study, even if they sometimes fail

>trying to force the transitions meme to Sup Forums
Sup Forums please, this place is already a shitshow, we don't need your bullshit too

>and he still doesn't get shit like the fact that the Charlton Comics characters aren't literally the Watchmen

I don't think you understood the point of Pax Americana.

meme