Did Sherk had a negative influence on big Western animated films?

Did Sherk had a negative influence on big Western animated films?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qc56fUjNb2U
youtube.com/watch?v=TtWDfjwCRiM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

SOME

Probably. It was a contribution factor of the death of 2D, and many movies try to be the next Shrek, but don't see why everyone liked Shrek in the first place.

NEGATIVE INFLUENCE

Ice Age has to be the weirdest cast of that.
The mood shifts drastically after 1 to more Shrek-like.

anti-disney formula

I don't know how bad an influence a kids movie can have on animated films. I would say that it helped in the death of 2d cartoon movies, but maybe that is it.

Well, it put DreamWorks on that path of making celebrity vehicle comedy movies, so yes.

>animated movie
>tv
>14 zootopia threads a day on Sup Forums

Shrek is still love
Shrek is still life

Not really

>Sherk

When will Sherking become a thing?

It's so weirdly jarring. The 2nd one is already so much different to the first.

I mean, you get the sense that they're all aware of their impending extinction in the wake of the age of man, and now they all have girlfriends.

Yes
>first one: adventure in actual pleistocene age
>later: soapy fantasy setting bullshit with dinosaurs and pirate monkeys, plus pangea and magical asteroids for some reason

Even the spin-off baby resulting from the mammoth getting a girlfriend has a boyfriend now, and yet no one else has aged a day.

It was a great movie, but everyone learned the wrong lessons from it. When Shrek started production, every movie was either Disney or knock-off Disney. (Lookin' at you, Don Bluth.) By the time Shrek was released, Toy Story had already broken the mold, and Pixar was already finishing up its third feature. Shrek delivered the final blow to the Disney establishment by spending nearly its entire runtime shitting all over Disney. However, because Shrek was DreamWorks' first major success, every CG movie they took on from that point was derivative of Shrek, at least up until How to Train Your Dragon, which was derivative enough in general that that didn't matter. And since DreamWorks now had a certain type of movie they made, everyone started imitating the DreamWorks way of making movies, since it was so much easier than imitating the Pixar way of making movies, which was much less formulaic.

It's funny how Disney got the last laugh after all.

It's easy to forget, 15 years later, that Shrek was considered to be a subversive slap in the face to Disney.

It was the bad-boy at the time.

>But you are beautiful.
Does Shrek have the best ending to a love story that a child could possibly see?

youtube.com/watch?v=Qc56fUjNb2U

This is a good breakdown of it, but I think there needs to be a noted distinction between having a bad influence on animation and influencing bad animation. It's not like the hacks were ever going to make Princess Mononoke if Shrek hadn't existed. They either would've kept doing what they were doing or just found somebody else to imitate. No talent lost. In that sense, very few things actually have much of a "negative" influence on their medium.

Such as?

Oh. That makes sense

Would there be as many fart jokes in animated movies today if not for Shrek?

>Does Shrek have the best ending to a love story that a child could possibly see?
Better than Beauty and the Beast, and I love that movie/play.

Shrek didn't popularize fart jokes, so yes.

>Shrek was so successful that it made even Disney lower their standards just to make shrek money

>no one else has aged a day.

they imply the sabertooth is getting older but i think that subplot fell

You forgot to add that this was also pushing down Disney through the majority of the 00s but then they did Tangled and by that point people had gotten tired of Dreamworks' shit

Is Shrek 5 happening or is it just a meme?

I don't even know why Shrek 4 happened.

What the hell is Mike Myers up to these days anyways?

If Wikipedia is any indication, mostly documentaries. Though he's apparently cast in a noir-thriller scheduled for release next year.

Sort of. Like many films, games, television series, etc. It was something new and original and more importantly, highly successful. People saw the success it created and tried to emulate it to the point of redundancy. This user explains it better.

>cheap jokes
>Body humor
>Kung fu/karate shit

I dunno senpai.

Love Guru essentially killed his live action career, so he took some time off to be a multi-millionaire.

One of my wishes in life was to see Ace Ventura VS Austin Powers... but now both are ancient and will never happen.

While it was memorable by having a fresh concept, fun characters, and a good message, it was the following imitators that caused it to age poorly. However, a shoddy imitator is always going to make shoddy imitations regardless of what material that is.

Also, Smash Mouth will be playing at a 4th of July event I attend every year. Shrek is likely going to cause me to drown in a swarm of meme-loving fucks, so there's a negative influence in that.

youtube.com/watch?v=TtWDfjwCRiM

It was important because it absolutely destroyed Disney and their model. Before Shrek, those hacks that were making Shark Tale and the like were simply copying Disney like with Quest for Camelot. All that changed was what the hacks were trying to imitate.
Hacks copy what's cool. And the first Shrek was very cool.

>"Do you think he might be compensating for something?"
>Audience knows Farquaad is short.
>Shrek doesn't.
Truly this generation's Man Getting Hit By Football.

It was a brutal change of focus on the industry.
I like how Dreamworks pull a lot of shitty movies, but the very few good movies are more influential than contemporary Disney shit.

>Did Sherk had a negative influence on big Western animated films?

Pros: It killed the Disney princess/fairytale formula

Cons: It killed Hand drawn animation for big features ...... but lets ignore that toy story didnt help ending that

Honestly, I consider Pixar to be the main killer since beforehand Dreamworks had some 2D animated movies as well like Prince of Egypt, Sinbad, El Dorado and Spirit.

>We will never get another 2D pre-Shreck Dreamworks movie
I just want more animated films like The Secret of Nihm really.

It was definitely a product of its time.
>Eddie Murphy
>Mike Myers
>Anti-Disney "raunchy" humor
>Smash Mouth

>Secret of NIMH
>DreamWorks
But nah, I get what you mean. It seems like 2D has only been exclusive to television shows now which is odd since it would actually benefit TV financially if they went full 3D. Film Studios actually have the budget for 2D but it's the parents who don't want to pay for 2D films. My theory is that since Pixar/DreamWorks both put adult themes & jokes in their 3D films, they feel like they can enjoy the film with their kids while 2D is more associated with very young children television shows and they don't want to pay for something they can watch for free on TV.
I could be wrong who knows. I miss 2D movies.

Everystudio would still transition to 3D animation even if Shrek didn't smash or wasn't created.

>not liking kungfu/karate

Are you gay?

Shrek was blatantly anti Disney to the point of having their antagonist's Kingdom look like Disney land and his color scheme match Mickey Mouse

I'm not sure it had a negative influence on animation since so far the Biggest Studios are still the Studio that made it and the Studio they were making fun of. Who was there to really influence. I think they just inspired themselves to make movies that were more crass and had cultural references and focus less on story

There biggest influence on Disney is that Zootopia ended with a Dance Party

The comments in this thread seem to be misguided. People think Shrek somehow killed Disney or Princess films or killed 2D or something. It didn't. Shrek influenced the industry, but moreso in the following ways:
>Lots of comedian-based/dialogue-driven humor
>Everyone in the cast is a big star celebrity,as opposed to just one or two
>Ending in a dance sequence
>Pop culture references and jokes for adults overflowing in films to try and appeal to the parents to WANT to see the films too, not just a film to pass the time for kids
>Tone of film is almost entirely comedy-driven.

Shrek was funny because it a parody on Disney formula and was released at the correct time for that to be funny, but future films didn't try and parody Disney from then on out.

Instead, they hired celebrities, they constantly made pop culture references, and they had dance sequences because these people examining shit are too stupid to understand story and screenwriting and just look for easy shit gimmicks for their quick buck to capitalize on kids. Since this comedy film was the biggest hit for Dreamworks, they flanderized themselves by doing all of these gimmicks without the compelling story.

>There biggest influence on Disney is that Zootopia ended with a Dance Party

BH6, WiR and Zootopia are very much influenced by shrek.

>Shrek was blatantly anti Disney to the point of having their antagonist's Kingdom look like Disney land and his color scheme match Mickey Mouse

There's also the fact that Farquaad's likeness is based off of Michael Eisner.