Romita Appreciation Thread

a homage?

The Romitas are GOAT.

I don't know as much of Sr's work

Sr. is hands down my favorite silver age artist. Preferred big, clean panels on each page that noticeably made Stan dial back on his narration box chatter.

Jr. isn't my cup of tea, but I'm glad he developed a unique style from his dad. He was at his best on Straczynski's Spider-man.

JrJr was really slipping for a bit, but that new Batman book he did with Frank Miller was amazing. The best he's done in probably 20 years. Wow.

>I don't know as much of Sr's work

He was a romance comics guy, then he came to Marvel, got Daredevil, from DD he made a big jump to taking over Amazing Spider-Man after Ditko left and did nearly 100 issues

>20 years

No he had that run with JMS on Spider-Man in the 2000's. Easily his best work since that though

Jr is trash, block faces. Sr is classic though

Fuck yeah JRJR

JR ranges from ok to absolutely awful with awful being dominate in the last decade

SR is stellar and is the reason Spider-Man didn't collapse after Ditko left

>ranges from ok to absolutely awful
what

The well known scene

By JRJR

The JMS run was shit in general and, while the art was the best part, it is far exceeded by the Dark Knight book he did.

I love jrjr since I was a kid. His work brings back memories of the nostalgia feel of comics for me. The inker and colorist is a make or break for his work, which flat coloring of the past made his style look very nice.

The snippets of his art we've seen for All-Star Batman so far also look pretty great

i mean I knew some history, i've just not read that much of his stuff.

Do you have pics?

Check Snyder's twitter.

I forget its name, but there was an episode of an anime recently, that featured a character who really liked his artwork(JRJR's name was changed though)

JRJR has become lazy, editors need to kick him back into shape, he's not bad

JR is classic as fuck

He's been in the industry too long for editors to do anything. It was a big thing for DC to get him away from Marvel

Someone hasnt read Dark Knight: Last Crusade.

This whole book is probably his best work.

Your probably right but the guy can do great things so it's sad to see him being mediocre for a paycheck.

I have and that's exactly what I'm talking about: his art is good when he cares or when editorial makes him care.

Case in point, those variant covers DC just put out, you could tell he phoned it in pretty hard on a few.

Honestly, i also think its the inkers and colorists.

They tried to force his art to be like everybody elses, with modern glossy plastic coloring and clean inks in the Superman stuff and it looked like trash. But then they went back to an 80's style of doing it for DK:LC and it looked great.

I could see this one being the colorist, it's the first one my mind went to.

Clark just floating there awkwardly sideways just doesn't look right, though the rest is solid.

God, batmans fucking shoulder

But others he hit out of the damn park!

Yeah thats pretty baller.

JR is a classic artist and probably a more important Spider-Man artist than arguably Ditko

JR Jr has done some amazing books and I like his blocky style. He's had some great runs on Uncanny X-Men, Daredevil, Punisher, Star Brand, Eternals and (although I don't like it) Kick-Ass. And the Punisher/Batman crossover is just super 90's cool.

>JR Jr has done some amazing books and I like his blocky style.
Theres something inexplicably good about his blocky art. It looks solid. Like its an actual thing that exists.

Fuck me, had no idea they lifted this scene from the comics

Fucking Thomas Jane Punisher was so good

I forgot he did Star Brand!

I'd give anything to get a successful reboot of that.

Don't forget his tubular limbs and girly faces.

I like that he's getting back on track with his art. His tail end of his tenure at Marvel was pretty bad and his beginning at DC was wonky, but his recent stuff has been pretty great.

Is it just me, or has Liefield built his entire goddamn career out of ripping off this page?

It's just you

That page is from after Liefled left Marvel for Image.

Cool. I was just noticing all these stylistic touches that seemed common to both, and was thinking about how much better they were working on the pic in thread than they do in Liefields work.

He's the closest thing we have to Kirby.
Sans you know. Literal Kirby copycats.

JRJR relates power like nobody fucking else.

It depresses me how much flak he gets here.

I know JR JR gets a bunch of flack here. Some of it is Justified but some of it is just Hurr durr I hate people who have their own style hating

When is on hes really on like
the Classic Stern / JR JR run on Spiderman.
Everything he did with Frank Miller. The man without fear is a classic. (But you can see where Millers layouts get heavy)
His Daredevil run
X-Men

bump

What he needs is a tight inker. His DD stuff with Milgrom and his ASM stuff with Hanna were amazing because they tightened his pencils.

Unfortunately, he started working with Klaus Jansen a couple decades ago and his sketchy inks just make his pencils look even more slapdash.

80's JRjr is great. His art is a significant part of why Nocenti's DD run is my favorite. And no one draws a better Kingpin. Though, I could draw a picture with a pencil clenched between my ass cheeks and it'd look amazing so long as I had Al Williamson inking it.

not milgrom. Williamson. GAH!

I think it was just JRJR adapting to the style of 90's extreme. That Cable mini is great

The best Kingpin.

>all those pouches
I CAN'T FUCKING HANDLE THE EXTREME

80s Jr doesn't compare to Modern Jr.