Discovery transporter room

Actually this is from the U.S.S. Shenzhou but I assume Discovery will look similar.

Why are they hiding the Discovery so much in these previews?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kbG3N51MEjM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what the fuck why

It is confirmed that this is a complete reboot of the trek series. Same time line. But ehey are starting over with the look, feel, and some of the technology.

Evocative of a taxicab. I like it.

it's not just the JJ movies?

Reminds me of the SGU asthetic. Not sure how too feel about that. I kind of hoped all those writers had been put out to pasture.

No, it is the original timeline. They just wanted to get rid of the baggage around some of the old looks and op tech.

[citation needed]

Doesn't this make complete sense? Why are fans complaining?

TNG did the same thing, right? Does a Star Trek series in 2017 using makeup and costuming from the pre-9/11 era (originating in the 1980s!) really make sense?

Cautiously optimistic here. I think this could be something decent.

Because it doesn't line up with established trek universe

Neither did TNG.
Neither does reality. Eugenics wars aren't going to start until at least 2019.

What did they change for TNG?

I think they should of just went full blown reboot.

Ignore all other timelines.

Ignore established characters. Just start over.

It would be best if they just made something else and left Star Trek alone

Klingons for one

>It is confirmed that this is a complete reboot of the trek series.

Where is this confirmed?

It's been stated dozens of times that this show takes place in the original pre-Abrams Trek universe.

The Motion Picture

That's an OOU change, not an in universe change

TMP Klingons don't look like TNG Klingons.

The TOS movies changed the Klingons

youtube.com/watch?v=kbG3N51MEjM

The change began there though, and with each TOS movie, they got closer to what they looked like in TNG.

I feel the same way about TNG. They even ruined classic eps by remaking them. Fuck TNG.

Reboot in the sense of ret-conning certain things and tech. But original timeline.

Which episode does TNG remake?

Are you thinking of that DS9 episode?

And now they're evolving a little more. Or devolving if the rumors are true. What's the big deal? There's nothing wrong with updating makeup and this has now been established.

The Naked Time for one

I never said it was a big deal. I was just saying the Klingon change did not happen in TNG.

Yeah, discovery klingons look better imo. Les human with riges, more alien.

A Klingon change did occur in TNG, as well as several other changes.

Changing make up is not the same thing as changing history and lore or other things that happen in universe

changing make up is an out of universe change, it's not acknowledged in universe

a goofy little omage, both one-off episodes, that's not that bad

it is a shitty episode though

There was a period of about ten years, from the start of TNG to the end of DS9 and Voyager, where Trek was very consistent in its look, tone, and roster of actors. There is a generation of Trek fans for whom that era encompasses their entire childhood. This era also directly tied in with the original series via the movies and a handful of episodes that used either old footage or old actors.

So a mix of nostalgia and an expectation of tangible continuity with previous iterations of the franchise. Which is funny, because Enterprise already shattered all those expectations by being a run of the mill Syfy show with no coherent connection to anything.

I'm fine doing without the primary colors, which were driven by color TV being a novelty, but really, this sepia crap was getting old 10 years ago.

Stop it.

Nope, TNG had an episode that explains the Klingon pleasure ridge issue.

pretty confident that was DS9 and it was also stupid, which further illustrates my point

I'll admit, I'm unironically more interested in the Orville for this very reason.

So DS9+Stupid=OOU?

You can't just make up your own canon and bitch when others do it.

TNG got around having to stay with the look/feel of TOS/TOS movies by jumping ahead in time. WHY NOT GO 100+ YEARS AFTER NEMESIS

The issue was raised in DS9 but the actual explanation was in ENT. Also, that DS9 episode was one of the best episodes in all of Trek.

They'll have achieved the singularity and *plot twist* become the Borg.

still more interesting than whatever discovery is up to

I don't care. They're all women. Will not watch.

he might be thinking wrath of khan, pretty sure that's the first place you see the klingons that look like the ones from TNG

What's going to make or break this show is its doctor character. That's what always does it for Star Trek. Trek is defined by its doctors as much as its captains. One of the reasons Enterprise failed was because of Phlox being such a vortex of shit.

Holy shit, is this bait? The best doctor in Trek was Phlox, who attained literally dozens of medical and science degrees, from botany to psychiatry.

No my point was that the hamfistedness of the canon changing illustrates how bad at writing you have to be to even think it's a good idea

they're better off changing somethings like updatin special effects but leaving the writing and history alone

This is true. ENT pissed off tons of people, not only because of how different it was from the previous shows in stage design, writing, tone, etc., but because it retconned a lot of stuff, both specifically in episodes and by simply existing in the time it did. Discovery feels exactly like ENT did, except there's a lot of younger fans that don't remember how mad everyone was when ENT rolled around.

>TNG has one of the worst doctors and is pretty great
>VOY's best character by far is rivaled only by Bones and the show is shit
I don't think you're correct.

I'd be happy with an update on the uniforms and look but why does it have to look so bland?
The uniforms look dull to me, why couldn't they go for a classical Naval look for something interestingly new like Wrath of Kahn. These just look like generic syfy show jumpsuits.

What's even the point of keeping it in the original timeline if you're changing literally everything?

The history doesn't comport with reality.

Changing it back to science fiction from fantasy

That's my only reason for watching.

>Enterprise already shattered all those expectations by being a run of the mill Syfy show with no coherent connection to anything.

Except for the last episode, which featured Riker and Troi throughout the episode going through a Holodeck recording of the Enterprise series' crew's last mission.

Hell, if nothing else, at least they are not going down there wearing just the track pants and turtleneck sweater (okay, I have to admit that the pilot was actually rare exception where they dressed accordingly before leaving the ship).

That actually felt as if all of Enterprise we saw was just some fanfiction by Riker and Troi.