Do you guys like the recolor?

do you guys like the recolor?

Nope, the technicolor insanity fit the story better. Hopefully the movie doesn't just have this dreary pallet.

>recolors
>ever

No thank you

Looks awful the old colors made it feel like a fever dream which worked.

>tfw the movie won't use the original coloring

Why do this?

I'd guess technical limitations or errors at the time resulted in some crazy color choices so for some people this is actually a fix and closer to what was originally intended.

>Joker redrawn with a wry smile in the last panel

Does anybody have Moore's script handy? Which one is the correct version?

Recolors just come off as lifeless to me

Have you seen the trailers?

I like them both

Under normal circumstances, the recolor suits Bolland's art,

but pretty much this The original is more visually interesting and fits the story.

Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with the recolors here. This looks a lot like printing limitations determining the original colors, and the recolors don't seem to profoundly change anything,

Good luck getting it original format.

its a sad grin

For context, the early Miracleman issues (such as this one) were originally published in black and white. When Eclipse reprinted them, they did a hack-job colouring that lost a lot of detail and was all-around odd. When they released TPBs it got a recolouring that was much better. Now Marvel is re-releasing them with digital recolouring. I'm not sure if the left colouring is from the first or second eclipse colouring.

>dude rape lmao

niet

heh

wow

This!

Jesus Christ

I feel like the recolors are like...trying to pretend a certain era didn't exist.

Surely that's the worst panel in the recolored version and the entire thing isn't fucked up like that, right?

Right?

The worst thing about the KL recolor is that John Higgins was a great colorist and unlike many mainstream comics he was picked to work on it by Moore and Bolland since he was a fellow 2000AD Brit. He was as much a part of the story as either of them, and with the recolor Bolland just takes him out of the story

It would be like someone rescripting the comic

Are there any examples of a recolour that's actually better? Pic unrelated

I dunno I kind of like that page. The depth is easier to see, at least.

The recolor's kind of generic colorization.

this recolor made me tear up a little, its so bad

I think Fantagraphics' Donald Duck/Scrooge comics are recolored and done well.

Never been super into cape stuff so I think I can offer a different perspective here.

That white is soooo bright in comparison to the yellow. The bottom two panels with the explosion kinda hurts my eyes in comparison to the yellow. Overall I think the right example of both over uses flat white and it's brightning the page up too much.

Granted I'm looking at this stuff on a computer and white on paper is different then white on a screen.

As a general rule, I'd prefer the second side - but I don't read Bat books, have never read this (reading the two pages here is probably the most I've read of this). But I do agree that oftentimes there's something to be said for keeping the original coloring in the older books. I'd have to look at the rest of the art, but I'd just generally feel that this is: is what's going on here.

Yes, that's particularly awful. I don't really care about the wall background (except that there's no reason for it to be white) but the color of his skin in the second panel SHOULD be the wall color AND NEVER the skin color.

I knew Mazzuchelli was upset about the 2012 deluxe's coloring but I didn't realize it was even worse than I'd thought it'd be.

The recolor is superior.

these recolors are a crime against humanity.

The first coloring of Miracleman wasn't good either.

I read this the other week, I kept thinking it was drawn by dillon or something because the colouring on everyone's faces was really similiar to in dillon's comics. Pretty depressing desu.

>tfw youre not autistic and prefer the recolors in most cases

This one is fucking awful though

To be honest, I don't really care, if the art is nice and so is the story then it shouldn't really bother me.

The recolor is technically fine, but loses the feeling of creeping madness. I do like the black and white segments. It'd be interesting to see the black and white flashbacks inserted into the original coloring.

They really need to get proper high level colourists to do these. Let them take some time and really work on it.

So did he kill him or not?

Yes.

Brian Bolland did the recolouring for The Killing Joke himself, and its in keeping with his style so presumably this is how it was meant to look.

Script says no. Bolland said he had drawn like it happened.

Sorry, I meant in general with these recolours. Not specifically The Killing Joke ,I actually like the recolour on this.

I tried compositing the two.
Take a little from column A, a little from column B, do some tweaks and hey, that actually seems to work.

The script doesn't say anything about if he dies or doesn't. Its openly ambiguous.

I'm asking what YOU think as its meant to be left to you

Thats pretty darn neato

>Recolor changes lighting to something less impressive.
>"Improvement"

Like, what.

Do this for killing joke

Fucksake, the original colouring is a big part of why Year One is one of my favourite comics of all time. It's fucking outstanding! What coke-addled asshole decided it needed an overhaul?

>for the record, my intention at the end of that book was to have the two characters simply experiencing a brief moment of lucidity in their ongoing very weird and probably fatal relationship with each other, reaching a moment where they both perceive the hell that they are in, and can only laugh at their preposterous situation. A similar chuckle is shared by the doomed couple at the end of the remarkable Jim Thompson’s original novel, The Getaway.