why do so many people hate this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HtifWqsON1g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's like a retarded farm niggers version of 2001

Because it's so poorly written

Something something boring 2 dimensional characters

Something something Nolan can't write

I don't hate it, but the beginning is ridiculous. I liked post-launch up to about the end.

MURPH!!!!!!!!!

it was bad. I was so fucking hyped to see it.. and it did not deliver. I mean it looked stunning... but Nolan started seeing himself as a Kubrick like director.. which he is not. Memento and Batman Begins were good i guess.

kubrick dicksuckers angry that someone did 2001 better than him

BECAUSE THEIR PLEBS WHO DIDNT SEE IT PROPERLY

Like any other Nolan's movie it aspires to be something intellectual but ends up being just another mainstream Hollywood blockbuster, dumbed down to be accessible to 90% of audience without putting in effort to understand it.

One of the characters is named Hugh Mann

It was a stupid blockbuster. It even has Jessica Chastain and Anne Hattaway as if it was entirely crafted by a comitte. I thought it was a Nolan personal project after doing TDKR, but no.

It's not pure hate, it's more like an extreme love-hate relationship, like with most Nolan films. People who "hate it" just hate the fact that it really could've been a great film if there wasn't for the obvious repeating Nolan flaws.

Most of you actually love his ideas, his artistic integrity and the execution of grand set pieces, but the hamfisted exposition and clunky dialogue/blocking keep his films from being truly "great" films.
You do not hate him like most people hate Uwe Boll, but you hate him because you see the potential of him making great films while keeps making the same flaws over and over again.
Not one of his films is below average in quality, but anons here must call it "complete utter dogshit" to balance out the general opinion of him.

People just think he is capable of much more.

they are morons

Whose plebs?

YOU KNOW WHOMST'D

Jej

i liked it

produced tears senpai

Conservatives don't like the idea that the Earth could die. They don't like to think about things changing. Space, science and women in authority scare them.

why did the tides form bigass waves instead of raising gradually over several kilometres?
why didn't the huge tital forces also affect the ground and cause vulcanic erruptions?
why didn't the crew see the tidal waves from the ship?
why didn't they do some calculations to find out that the planet must have huge tidal waves
why did they need huge rocket to leave earth but could leave the water planet with a tiny ship?

it's necessary

the water planet also had 130% earths gravity

>need a big Saturn V-esque rocket get off of Earth
>proceed to use tiny shuttle to get on and off of multiple planets without refueling

in non-meme terms can someone explained what happened at the end?

are matthew and anne going to spend the rest of that deserted planet growing humans?

what did murph discover to get all those humans off the planet onto that ship? how many humans did she save? are they going to spend the rest of their lives on that ship or are they going to the planet as well?

>autists going on about science in a science fiction movie
k

"science fiction" is a meaningless distinction when everyone carries a computer in their pocket.

>are matthew and anne going to spend the rest of that deserted planet growing humans?
yes

>what did murph discover to get all those humans off the planet onto that ship?
antigravity or some other cheap form of bringing matter into orbit

>how many humans did she save?
all of them

>are they going to spend the rest of their lives on that ship or are they going to the planet as well?
stay on the ship until they find a cure against blight

Being scifi does not excuse basic inconsistencies.

I can accept that it's the future and they have a magic future shuttle that can go to and from planets with ease.
I can't accept that they have a magic future shuttle but still need to build a giant expendable 60's moon rocket instead of using the magic future shuttle for orbital construction in LEO.

read the "Science of Interstellar" book by Thorne, all your questions about the tidal wave planet are answered there
you can find the PDF easily on google

As for your last question, they didn't "need" the huge rocket, but they used it for fuel efficiency/conserving the "new" fuel for the tiny ship. Using the Saturn V rocket first, they can carry way more cargo and supplies to the station and just detach the rocket when it's not needed and save all the precious fuel for the tiny rangers.

see

>read the "Science of Interstellar" book by Thorne, all your questions about the tidal wave planet are answered there
I seriously doubt that.

>As for your last question, they didn't "need" the huge rocket, but they used it for fuel efficiency/conserving the "new" fuel for the tiny ship.
Sounds to me like a made up justification. It seems more likely that the director simply didn't give a shit about scientific plausibility

Nolan doesn't know how to write characters, they're like alien without no heart. In this movie he tries to tell people "look, I know about emotions and shit"

aslo is way too long and not that interesting

Visually it's great, the score is great and some of the concepts once they launch show a lot of imagination

The beginning third of the movie stretches far too long and is unnecessary

The worst part for me is actually after the ending - the denouement is completely unnecessary and made me feel like the director was forced to have this in here. We have a solid conclusion where the audience could infer the rest, instead we have every result told to us explicitly.

The writing is also typical Nolan, not terrible but still blunt, pseudo-intellectual break downs that don't feel entirely organic

Overall, still a 7/10 just for the positives but certainly missed the mark in a few areas

>YFW NOLAND UNIRONICALLY TACKLED AND THEN SOLVED THE BIGGEST MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE AND PUT IT ALL ON 70MM IMAX FILM

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN, LITERALLY BRAVO

Because they have seen more than 10 sci-fi movies

>I seriously doubt that.
You have your answers there not just in textual form but in actual measurements and theories. Yes it's all theoretical but it's not pulled out of the ass. Quite an interesting read.

>Sounds to me like a made up justification
The whole first act is Nolan shoving you in the face how nobody cares about space travel and they stopped funding NASA. Yes Nolan probably insisted it just for the visuals and audio alone, but the decision is completely logical that they use the Saturn V for the first launch in situation given by the narrative.

>You have your answers there not just in textual form but in actual measurements and theories. Yes it's all theoretical but it's not pulled out of the ass. Quite an interesting read.
Since you read the answeres, I am sure you can enlighten me why the astronauts didn't do some calculations and find out about the huge waves before landing on the planet.
speaking of that, why did they need to land in the first place? cant they just... look at the planet with a telescope?

>The whole first act is Nolan shoving you in the face how nobody cares about space travel and they stopped funding NASA.
So NASA gets just enough funding that they can use super efficient fuel seen nowhere else on earth, but still have to rely on modern day rockets so the audience sees a space launch they are familiar with? sounds oddly convinient to me

One thing I never understood is how exactly are they growing humans? How is that even possible?

I liked it and I regret to have missed it in the theater

>the theory of love

>I am sure you can enlighten me why the astronauts didn't do some calculations and find out about the huge waves before landing on the planet.speaking of that, why did they need to land in the first place?
They discussed that exact point in the movie. Miller's planet had a green light from the past expedition and was closest to the wormhole, thus to conserve travel time (and a significant amount of fuel) they hit it first. There were only 3 planets to house the entire human race and no time to waste because of time dilation. The past astronaut gave it green light because water and probably got BTFO'd by the waves right after that.

>So NASA gets just enough funding that they can use super efficient fuel seen nowhere else on earth, but still have to rely on modern day rockets so the audience sees a space launch they are familiar with?
Yes, they use all their money for the small Ranger and use the old Saturn V to conserve fuel, which is crucial as shown at the end of the movie. How would you transport all that cargo and supplies with that small Ranger to the space station?

but why didn't they calculate the tidal forces on that planet before landing?
the huge waves should have been no suprize to them, since they would be only natural for a planet so close to a black hole

>How would you transport all that cargo and supplies with that small Ranger to the space station?
I would just use a smaller rocket running on the super efficient fuel

>but why didn't they calculate the tidal forces on that planet before landing?
Because Miller already sent the thumbs up and they have no time for hovering near the planet and analyzing the planet whole composition and cycles because of the obvious extreme time dilation. What's the point of analyzing the planet if you come back to Earth with no one alive to go to that planet?

>I would just use a smaller rocket running on the super efficient fuel
Then you have to build a small highly advanced rocket that will be used just one single that can use the new fuel and propulsion system. It's not just the matter of switching fuels like diesel or petrol, it's obviously a completely different machine.
And why waste money on building a highly advanced first launch rocket just to send supplies to the space station when you can just use the old trustworthy Saturn V?

calculating tidal forces would take less than 5 minutes, if done by hand. It could be done in seconds by that robot they had with them.
Meanwhile, space travel between planets takes months, so pleanty of time for them

ppl who hated it are usually the ones who didnt get the symbolism of it

It's 2001 for retarded manchildren. Like TDK is Heat for retarded manchildren. You're retarded.

>Billed as based in hard science

>Love trumps all other forces in the universe

I didn't hate it, but is a poorly written movie. For a movie applauded for its scientific accuracy it got pretty stupid pretty fast.

Nolan should have kept the fucking tree alien thing in, as that wold have been better than the "love conquers all" spiel at the end.

5 minutes is a lot on that planet. Also these are not regular tidal forces, the black hole is a fast rotational supermassive black hole and the planet is tilting back and forth constantly and being stretched left and right on the brink of breaking, again read the PDF.
And why would they even calculate the tidal waves only then? If they had time you would first check the atmosphere for breathing and a ton of other readings first then calculate the tidal waves. But they don't have that time and they rely on the thumbs up from the previous astronaut, the first expedition was in charge of doing all that

Something something something Reddit

10/10 soundtrack.

youtube.com/watch?v=HtifWqsON1g

Plotholes: the movie

1. Murph won't speak to her father who is on a save the world mission yet she dedicates her life to the same mission. Clearly she understands the importance of the mission, but wahh m- muh dad left me.

2. "Plenty of humans for my robot colony" -TARS comic relief

>dr mann is supposedly the smartest out of all of them
>blows himself out of an airlock after receiving multiple warnings from the crew and the ship itself
Why is nolan such a hack?

nigger what are you even talking about?
the black guy stayed in orbit for 27 years, and you are telling me couldn't wait 5 more minutes?