Be Suicide Squad

>be Suicide Squad
>release in one month but no one gives a shit
>marketing doesn't know how to into promoting
>social media campaigns turn into mobs of people laughing at their official accounts
Will the comics even bother trying to be like the movie or is everyone just going to try and forget Suicide Squad as quickly as possible?

Reminder: the cast and crew got inked for this

Other urls found in this thread:

chinafilmbiz.com/2012/11/09/how-chinas-movie-distribution-system-works-part-2/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why do you even bother, OP?

No SS threads and the movie is only a couple weeks away. Mostly I'm curious how WB can fuck up this badly

What do you mean a mob of people laughing at their accounts? What are you talking about?

>no gives a shit
It's the most buzzed about movie of the summer.

The movie isn't out for more than a month and the last trailer was in April. There were a few big threads when some set pictures were released about 2 weeks ago.

That doesn't mean much, bro.

BvS was topping "most anticipated movies" polls all the way to release, and it still bombed. I remember Sup Forums using that and trailer views as emphirical evidence it'd beat Civil War, and we all know how that turned out.

>bombed
This is how delusional Sup Forums mongoloids are.

Shill articles and shitty toe-in products doesn't equal buzz. I don't know anyone actually excited to see Suicide Squad.

basically the official accounts are playing up the Joker too much, and people think its hilarious because its so terrible.

Leto and the official marketers are showing the Joker as this try-hard '00's Hot Topic/Spencer's level edgelord.

News reports were coming out of Leto essentially harassing his co-workers and acting like theres some sort of curse to playing the Joker (which is really fucked up), and one of the cast said they almost maced him when he was being shitty, and people really wish they had.

It still disproves that notion that no one gives a shit.

It severely underperformed at the box office and was trashed by critics, bro.

Denial can only take you so much.

>bombed

it made almost 900 million dollars in the box office.
not to mention how many people are going out to buy the Director's cut.

sure, it was critically reviled, but that literally means nothing when its making that much profit.

I do know people who are excited for this movie.

>I don't know anyone actually excited to see Suicide Squad

I was looking forward to it until I saw how much the marketing was pushing the Joker. I was hoping he would be a small part, not a central figure.

Internet buzz only means people acknowledge it. Whether it's positively, negatively and just neutral is a whole different ball game.

Based on the people I interact with, reception is pretty tepid. Some are genuinely hyped, some are not. A lot are just kinda' curious because they like the Joker.

I wonder if there'll be some backlash over them emphasizing the Joker so much in ads when he only has like 20 minutes of screentime.

>it made almost 900 million dollars in the box office.

Against a $300 million budget, that's a flop. WB expected $1 billion+

People won't be rushing to see more superman films that have Snyder's name attached. There's literally nothing interesting about his interpretation of the character unless batman is shoehorned into another movie with him.

>People won't be rushing to see more superman films that have Snyder's name attached.

you're overthinking how little people care about those behind the camera.

Yeah, there is a difference between bombing and underperforming

Nah. The company had several chances to make Superman an actual character that people gave a shit about. He's just a mountain of sadness and muscle in a shiny costume with not much else to it. The only people who are going to see his movies are Snyder autists. At least Batman has proven to be a more sympathetic and relatable character throughout the years despite having some missteps in his franchise.

no.
dude like...the general public doesn't give a shit about stuff like that.

Man of Steel was almost universally hated, and people still went out to see BvS. And it made enough money that there has to have been some crossover audience there more than the the 15 guys who get boners whenever they see Snyder's name attached to a project.

None of that is relevant to Suicide Squad though

But Snyder can't win, even with the lighter new direction for Justice League. If Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are successful, people will want him out since he did the sucky ones.

>It severely underperformed at the box office and was trashed by critics, bro.
It made nearly $900mil. With great reviews it could have touched $1bil. That's a 10% difference and is a pretty reasonable prediction of potential given reviews and it being DC's 2nd franchise film.

CW is Marvel's 13th franchise film with an established fanbase and got stellar reviews, yet the pattern of it falling from the box office was the same as BvS. It just basically got extra bump BvS didn't due to the fanbase and reviews.

BvS did about what it should considering the situation. This is pretty much the current parqdigm for cape movies moving forward since the MCU isn't adding fans due to it running so long. It's what we see in the X-Men films, which basically have the same fanbase from the first trilogy in place and aren't adding more, which is evident from their similar box office performances. Nothing in the MCU is going to touch Avengers again since it was a new product and a novelty for casual audiences. The next few Avengers movies are going to perform the same as CW and max out at AoU levels, likely under.

> And it made enough money that there has to have been some crossover audience
It made money by a combination of early ticket sales before anyone knew the movie was shitty, and the leftover 3D showings after the 2D ones sold out.

>hat's a 10% difference and is a pretty reasonable prediction of potential given reviews and it being DC's 2nd franchise film.
It made less than the last two Batman films and made less of a net profit than Man of Steel due to it's inflated budget. A movie with the DC trinity in live action for the first time. BvS has no excuse.

People went out to see it because it was the first movie that had batman and Superman. Dc's credit won't last forever, so they better start making Superheroes movies with characters who act as superheroes

Exactly. Man of Steel was lackluster but BvS made money because of Batman solely being attached. You just proved my point. Even the film itself took time and care to set up batman's motives, perspective, and character traits. He narrates the goddamn beginning of the film whereas Superman comes off as a dumb supporting character that the director pretends to give a shit about.

You can literally attach Batman to shit and it will still make money. He is a beloved character and proven cash cow.

Small difference. Cw was an actual good movie. BvS wasn't. Inb4 marvel fanboy: I am more of a DC guy. But I am even more of an honest guy.

You don't seem to understand what a "flop" is.

On another note, I'm reading Ostrander's Suicide Squad and I'm really impressed by how many lines are lifted directly from it in the trailers alone. Obviously marketing is pushing Joker and Harley but it seems clear to me the director and cast were really serious about adapting the comic and taking it seriously.

>Dc's credit won't last forever, so they better start making Superheroes movies with characters who act as superheroes

DC has literally nothing to do with the films.

makes me so conflicted. i hope the marketing is mostly lies

Shouldn't there be a new SS trailer soon? BvS had three. And it's really a good thing we still know jack shit about most of SS unlike after the Doomsday trailer.

Until now, with Cereal Lord being more hands-on

MOMS

Weak bait

Is it even possible for DC to turn things around? Wonder Woman has the same over-filtered grim n gritty aesthetic people are associating with Snyder's bullshit and everyone hates Gadot so guess how well it's going to perform. Snyder is on Justice League which is going to get a pass from all but the diehard turbo nerds and will likely come in below expectations as well. Curious, why is pointing out the flaws in cheap, shitty corporate art seen as being a bad fan? Wouldn't a true fan want the best stories possible? It almost seems like they want you to bitch about how bad things are. Or is that over thinking things and WB just can't find the pulse with their properties?

El Diablo and maybe Croc will be bro tier

Joker will steal the movie but Boomer will steal the squad scenes

The entire plot already leaked.

There's just not much to know. It's a pretty straightforward "Point A to Point B" story.

SS will probably do okay to acceptable numbers due to Batman properties being generally more interesting to the public and the only comic property that Warner can actually pull off since it's the only dc title they put effort into

new trailer at SDCC I believe, which will be 2 weeks before release.

Sounds good to me after Snyder's stuff

>everyone hates Gadot

you're overinflating how much Sup Forums's opinion lines up with the rest of the world.

people loved her.

>It made less than the last two Batman films
TDK barely crossed a billion with stellar reviews and a new Joker. TDKR got the sequel bump from that, same with IM3 from Avengers.

>Made less of a net profit than Man of Steel due to it's inflated budget.
Yet it probably made them much more money from ancillaries and overall. MoS made $175mil, covering most of it's budget from tie-ins before the movie was even released. BvS was much more pervasive and merchandise was much more pronounced.

>A movie with the DC trinity in live action for the first time.
Why would this lead to a significant bump? Batman fans are by massively cross over with DC fans. Wonder Woman is largely out of the public consciousness since the 70s. The movie's published earnings match reasonable projections despite whatever agenda driven statements you're trying to push.

And no, projections like "IT'S GOING TO MAKE AAALLLLLL DA MONIES A D BE BIGGER THAN DA AVENGERS!!! $2BIL GUARANTEED!" is not reasonable. Same with Justice League. JL will likely hit the mid to late $900mil with average reviews, it'll cross $1bil with great reviews. It's not coming close to Avengers numbers since DC is still building a fanbase.

>put effort into
>Batman makes more so make more Batman ad nauseum
>Why Supesman no make as much? Why no one like Green Ring? Better just make more Batman
It's not because WB execs love Batman it's that they love the money Batman makes for them. See also the new not-Harry Potter movie

Sup Forums people are utterly incapable of separating memes and board culture from reality.

I didn't give a shit about El Diablo until Seeley's New Suicide Squad, he was great in that.

Uh you could scout their accounts out a little and follow the hashtags they want people to use.

I'm not talking about meme culture, faggot. I'm talking about there being zero interest in this except for pictures and gifs of Harley Quinn putting on a shirt. The hype is weak.

>You don't seem to understand what a "flop" is.
When a movie fails to make an expected profit.

BvS barely broke even when accounting for the $250 million production budget, and the $100-150 million advertising budget that it typical for films made for over $100 million. It had a good decent run, but the major drop off starting on that first SUNDAY took a major blow to the amount WB could have gotten (studios get 80% of the gross domestically for the first two weeks before the percentage starts to decrease the longer the film is in theaters). The amount made over overseas gross is even lower, China giving back the smallest amount at 20% of the gross. (chinafilmbiz.com/2012/11/09/how-chinas-movie-distribution-system-works-part-2/)

When you account for all of these, it's clear that BvS was a failure. Which is why WB did damage control by inviting people who hated the movie to their studio to see Justice League pre-production art and scenes.

>Sup Forums people are utterly incapable of separating memes and board culture from reality.
So they're literally no different form Sup Forums.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, user. I think joker is being pushed in the promos so heavily because he's the average casual's only connection to these characters. It's just a hunch, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was mostly only on the periphery of the movie until he assumes his role as Big Bad in act 3.

>I'm reading Ostrander's Suicide Squad and I'm really impressed by how many lines are lifted directly from it in the trailers alone.
Got some examples?

>The entire plot already leaked.
is co really that fucking gullible?

>When a movie fails to make an expected profit.
That's not a flop, man. That's part of it in a roundabout manner, but that's not entirely what a flop is. Disappointment because they could hqve squeezed out a bit more money and gotten better reviews? Sure. But BvS is nowhere near a bomb or flop no matter how much you personally hate it or try to twist opinoin on it.

>TDK barely crossed a billion with stellar reviews and a new Joker.
Look at this idiot treating crossing a billion dollars as simple feat, especially since TDK was one of the first movies to do so.

>Yet it probably made them much more money from ancillaries and overall.
see >Why would this lead to a significant bump?
Because it's what they were selling the movie on, dipshit. "Come see Batman and Superman on screen together for the first time, and fight!"

>And no, projections like "IT'S GOING TO MAKE AAALLLLLL DA MONIES A D BE BIGGER THAN DA AVENGERS!!! $2BIL GUARANTEED!" is not reasonable.
It is considering that the new Batman movies did very well and that they're adding two more iconic characters into the plot of the story, along with a new Flash, who has a popular tv show at the moment.

>DC is still building a fanbase
They built up a fanbase with the Dark Knight films and they simply shit the bed with their next series of films.

You thinking there's no interest is your subjective experience. Mine is that there's tons of interest from people who didn't even care about BvS.

"Underperforming" is not the same as "flopping". A flop is a movie that fails to make back its large budget. BvS made back double its budget. That's not a resounding success, but it's not a flop either.

>test screenings? what are those? a durrrrr

Also reminder that the Justice League plot was leaked here and confirmed accurate two weeks ago.

Off the top of my head, when Waller is introducing the main cast in issue #1 some of the lines are used in that trailer that does the same thing. I'll compare my trade to the trailer.

> BvS made back double its budget.
Please learn the difference between "gross" and "net".

>test screenings? what are those? a durrrrr
I would love to see one detailing the plot, really i would.

...that's actually what buzz is

I get that you only like Disney marvel movies but knock off your bullshit

One user has already been posting one for the past few weeks.

The Joker wants the guy Common is playing (he's not Tattooed Man) to cuckhold him with Harley Quinn.

Are you retarded? Marketing isn't buzz. Advertising is not positive word of mouth.

>..that's actually what buzz is
Advertisements are not buzz.

A.R.G.U.S. operative Amanda Waller (Viola Davis) decides to assemble Task-Force X due to the expanding superhuman community, offering supervillains reduced sentences in exchange for performing suicide missions for the United States government. She selects Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Deadshot (Will Smith), Boomerang (Jai Courtney), Killer Croc (Adewale Akinoeye-Agbaje), Diablo (Jay Hernandez) and Slipknot (Adam Beach) to integrate the team and has them transferred to Belle Reve Penitentiary.

Deadshot is a former military sniper turned hitman to cover his daughter's medical expenses. He is confronted by Batman while targeting a mobster and Batman volunteers to cover Deadshot's daughter's treatment if Deadshot willingly surrenders, which he does.

Batman also interrupts a deal between the Joker (Jared Leto) and weapons dealer Monster T (Common) and rescues Harley when the Joker abandons her after their car falls into the river. The Joker then decides to get Harley back.

El Diablo is a former enforcer for a Los Angeles gang who has become a pacifist and doesn't want to use his powers anymore. Killer Croc is a cannibal who lives in the sewers, and Boomerang and Slipknot are amoral mercenaries. Batman captured them all in the past.

Rick Flagg (Joel Kinnaman) is assigned to lead the Suicide Squad, with Katana (Karen Fukuhara) as his bodyguard. Flagg is a military man and a loose canon with a history of insubordination, while Katana is a silent warrior who wields the Soultaker, a magic sword that traps people's souls, and seeks redemption for her late husband's crimes.

Meanwhile, adventurer June Moon (Cara Delevigne), Flagg's girlfriend, is sent to investigate reports of supernatural activity in Europe by Waller, who believes these reports could be misinterpreted signs of extraterrestrial activity on Earth. June ends up being infected by the Enchantress, an ancient feral witch, whose heart is aprehended by A.R.G.U.S and kept in Waller's possession.

The Enchantress slowly corrupts June, who besiesges Midway City and attempts to unleash her brother, the Incubus. The Suicide Squad is sent by Waller to investigate and aprehend the Enchantress as a potential asset. The Joker and his men find out about them and shoot down their helicopter in Midway City, leaving them stranded with only the Bravo 17 Navy Seal unit as mission support.

Boomerang encourages Slipknot to escape, and Waller detonates a bomb in Slipknot's neck, killing him. The team is then ambushed by monsters sent by the Enchantress and pursued to an abandoned building, but eventually escape with Diablo's help.

The team proceeds to the Enchantress' whereabouts in the subway line, while also being pursued by the Joker and his men. The Enchantress unleashes the Incubus, with Monster T as his host, and then kidnaps Waller to retrieve her heart and unleash Hell on Earth. With Waller compromised, the team is given an opportunity to escape, but decide to stick together and save the world.

The Joker kidnaps Harley and attempts to force her to return with him, but she refuses, and he escapes when the others come to rescue her. The Suicide Squad confronts the Enchantress in the Museum of Natural History, where Deadshot rescues Waller. Harley destroys the heart, freeing June from the Enchantress' influence, and Flagg saves June while El Diablo sacrifices himself to destroy the Incubus, saving the world and earning his redemption.

Waller has the surviving members of the Suicide Squad arrested once again, although Batman later arranges a meeting between Deadshot and his daughter in prison. She conscripts Deadshot, Harley, Boomerang, Croc and Katana to further missions under Flagg's command.

In the end, the Joker breaks into Belle Reve to rescue Harley, still smitten after she stood her ground and denied his every whim, and they lock eyes and smile.

No dumbass, shilling is meant to CREATE buzz. An article existing does nothing, people have to read it and get exited for the movie. Which people do not.

The ULTIMATE EDITION is gaining a lot of positive feedback, even people who didn't like the theatrical cut, well not all of them but some, the poor editing really was one of the biggest issues, if not the biggest one, that may've costed WB atleast 100 Mil.

Under the hashtag #BatmanvSupermanUltimateEdition, you not only see positive feedback but people actually apologizing to Snyder and blaming WB for the fuck up.

Shills and autists tbqh pham
Link to that "internet apologizes to the Snyders" article please

Here's the Sup Forums one for sake of comparison

Opens with a 20 min sequence of origins/flashbacks. Quinn, Deadshot, Enchantrass, Diablo, etc.

Harley's is her transformation into Harley Quinn thanks to the Joker. Deadshot gets fucked over by Batman and his daughter gets taken away from him. Diablo accidentally killed his wife and kids. Enchantrass is a weird bitch that goes into a cave, touches a voodoo doll and becomes possessed by "enchantress". She's the center of the whole movie. Also puts a spell on this nigger in a subway and turns him into her demon brother. Captain Boomerang gets his ass thrown in the slammer by the Flash.

It takes place months after BvS. There are vendors selling "RIP Superman" shirts and death of superman memorabilia.

The opening with the montages has awful pop music. Every time a character pops up, a name and character stats in neon font appears. Think Scott Pilgrim with the graphics.

Biggest disappointment is Joker is barely in it. Less than 9 mins if you can believe it. I have no idea why they've hyped him up as the main villain. He's definitely the most interesting of them all, which doesn't say much.

The best scene he's in is with a black dude after trying to force Harley Quinn to give him a striptease/lap dance in a private room. The dude's like I don't want any beef and the Joker kills him after initially wanting to get cucked by him. Weird as shit.

Everything he says is cringey dialogue, especially at the end with Harley. Worst is when he jumps into acid with Harley like some sort of baptism scene. Asks her if she'd die for him, like she is his disciple.

He's not in it much. You think he dies in a helicopter that's shot down when he goes to save Harley, but then he comes back at the end disguised as a guard to break out Quinn.

1/?

It's fake, bro. It's filled with contradictions with actually established stuff.

I've watched the UE out of curiousity/masochism and I have no clue what people are smoking when they say it's a completely different movie, or even better than the theatrical cut.

Even as far as dumb fanboy stuff goes, the title fight isn't expanded or anything and it has just as stupid reasoning for it to happen as the final cut did.

I didn't like the article either, that is why I've been following #BatmanvSupermanUltimateEdition on twitter.

So you mean it's basically the same movie but with more bullshit? Whhaaaattt? But did you try watching it on your 4k violet tv go pro?

Opening scene.

Batman is BARELY in this shit. Maybe less than a minute. This is what I remember.

- Harley flashback (Batman chases them, Harley almost drowns. Harley gives Batman some tongue and then he knocks her the fuck out)

- Deadshot flashback (Will Smith tried to kill Batman. Will Smith's daughter thinks he's a piece of shit and protects Batman by standing in front of the two of them so Bats isn't shot)

- Enchantress hallucination vision for Deadshot that shows his deepest desire where he murders Batman.

Everyone knows Superman is dead. They show people fucking exploiting his death.

Also Joker isn't Robin. On Harley Quinn's stats and wrap sheet, she's wanted for the murder of Robin along with Joker.

He [The Joker] wears two tuxedos. One weird one in a quick flashback with Harley Quinn where she looks like she's wearing the classic court jester outfit, then a tux on the helicopter.

Joker doesn't show up again until the very end when he busts Harley Quinn out. He isn't in a tux but a disguise.

>What about Jai Courtney? Was this his breakout role?
Not in it enough. His best parts are shown in the trailer unfortunately. He's criminally underused along with Croc, Katana, etc.

2/?

#holup I only follow #suckerforpain and #suicidesquad

I have read that too. A couple of twits doesn't equal the internet. Holy shit. This is similar to people spamming in twitter that bvs was the next dark knight. The circle of hype is real.

Well the only ones that matter from this movie are Harley Quinn and Joker, and Harley has already been changed so that she matches the film, same with Boomer. Synergy, isn't it great?

>How does the squad form?
Amanda Waller wants to put them together. The Gov says no.

Enchantrass and the black dude escape from Amanda Waller's base and wreck havoc on the city. They opens a portal vortex to hell in the streets and turn people into demon mercenaries that blow up when hit.

The Government agrees to send in the suicide squad and get Enchantress' heart (only way to stop her) for Amanda Waller. Waller put bombs in each suicide squad member's head so she can kill them if they get out of line or don't follow the mission.

Quippy banter between the squad, yes. Really cliched shit though like "didn't sign up for dis shieeet.

The Flash surprised me. The lack of Batman and Joker surprised me.

No, Luthor is not in this.

Diablo dies, Enchantress' black bull dies, Enchantress gets tricked by Harley, gets her heart destroyed and goes back to normal.

Like what?

The only questionable thing is the Flash being around , and we already know he's an established hero when Batman meets him in Justice League

There is at least one more scene between the Joker and Harley Quinn in the tailend in the movie, with the Joker wearing a black tux, which ends in a shootout and the Joker bailing.

Plus the Flash bit is fake. It's already confirmed Batman brings him in in the beginning and in the end he's simply arrested by ARGUS.

>It's already confirmed Batman brings him in in the beginning
Was it by a reliable source? I've also read articles that said Katana was a Batman villain.

Most of that is producers being retarded, it doesn't mean that the movie is gonna suck.

The only thing I'm worried about is the short running time.

>Katana was a Batman villain
Nah, some leaks have said that she is Batman inside woman

The short running time is a good thing. I'm tired of bloated action movies after Transformers popularized it.

The only worry it brings me is because it's such a small cast. I can deal with a short movie about a couple of people, but 6/7 means we'll have little time to develop most of them, which means it has a chance to be Harley/Joker/Deathshot movie.

You know, I actually really like the sound of this.

>short running time

It's a 2 hours 10 minutes film.

Yeah, it's not like the Based Marvel™ Cinematic Universe™ by Based Disney™!

Thanks for redpilling me on superior Disney™ films, Anonymous™!

t. Buttmad dc_cinematic redditor

>it made almost 900 million dollars in the box office.

They wanted it to make that much *in the US alone*. They wanted it to perform on par with The Force Awakens.

>It's what we see in the X-Men films, which basically have the same fanbase from the first trilogy in place and aren't adding more, which is evident from their similar box office performances.
I'm pretty sure First class recruted a new audience wich was lost given the quality and the focus of its two sequels.

DOFP did pretty well despite being shitty though.

I think Apocalypse was just people waking up.

>Katana will be underused
>Harley will probably be completely and annoying over used

Im not surprised. Im unhappy but Im not surprised

Well Katana is boring so there's not much you can do with her in an adaptation unless you take some liberties.

Im not asking for a lot of for the movie to turn into a solo movie. I just want her to get a fair chance to shine and strut herself. If we're making an action movies there's a lot of opportunities for a sword wielding assassin over some chick whose just got a hammer and a mental case

You should be grateful she's even in the film.

>Based on the people I interact with

furry shit beat it

Man, not many poses you can make Katana be in

>They built up a fanbase with the Dark Knight films and they simply shit the bed with their next series of films
This. I know they had a new Batman and all. But how did they not make a billion+ with both Batman AND Superman. I'm pretty sure the top three most widely known super heroes are Batman, Superman, and Spiderman. How did Spiderman beat those two... and it wasn't even his movie

Easy, Batman v Superman is total garbage. Look at the weekend dropoff numbers.