Copyright Offize Jumps Into Set-Top Box Debate, Says Hollyw00d Should Control Your TV

eff.org/deeplinks/2016/08/copyright-office-jumps-set-top-box-debate-says-hollywood-should-control-your-tv

The FCC’s plan would let cable and satellite subscribers choose the devices and apps they can use to access pay TV content instead of being limited to the leased set-top boxes and walled-garden apps provided by the cable and satellite companies. That’s not just a great goal; it’s also the law—Congress ordered the FCC to pursue this goal all the way back in 1996, but cable companies and TV producers have fought against it for over 20 years. Choice and competition threaten cable and content companies’ power to control what programming gets seen or ignored, how we can search for it, and who can build the hardware and software.

I dont watch tv.

wtf am i reading

>still watching cable or satellite tv
>2016

don't you guys get tired of paying tons of money and still having to watch or skip through commericals?

>watching tv
>current year

why not just get Netflix?

>Netflix
>Hulu
>hbo
>45$ a month
>whole family can use at once on different devices
It's the way of the future senpi.

>watching (((tv)))

I imagine this would piss people the fuck off.

>senpi

Stopped reading

nice ruse

Stopped reading on the last word? Excellent work.

I have Netflix and even that I could do without but my online friends watch stuff together. Seriously, who the fuck is paying for television nowadays?

didn't read the period. That person will never know the sentence ended :(

You also need a good internet connection.

You also have to realize that ISPs are forcing mandatory data caps on a month-month basis.

All you're doing is killing one giant to not realize there is another one standing behind it using it as a puppet.

>You also have to realize that ISPs are forcing mandatory data caps on a month-month basis.
That's not going over very well, though. In fact, those ones who are doing that are losing subscribers. All of those little mom and pop isps that are popping up are getting them now.
Data caps aren't a threat. We just need to keep hammering at the ones who are stupid enough to try and implement them.

All 3rd part providers offer unlimited data cap, and they just piggyback on the big 3 telecoms network. Plus one of big telecoms Bell offer unlimited. Comes free with 1GB fiber. Lower speeds it costs extra

oh man, you missed that full stop, how is the poster gonna cope knowing his work wasnt fully appreciated

The age of freedom is slowly coming to a close.

>full stop
hahaha stupid brits and your retarded terminology.
Please disregard my flag

The problem with this is that the monopoly many of these ISP's hold is not going to be easy to break.

The 'mom and pop' ISP only exist in very rare areas where a lot of competition has always been the case. Good Luck trying to get it in areas that are 99% dominated.