With one month of Rebirth out of the way, what are your opinions on this whole thing so far?

With one month of Rebirth out of the way, what are your opinions on this whole thing so far?

Also wondering how Titans Rebirth was for anyone who read it?

>Superman and Action Comics

Not bad, super decompressed though, and I can't help but want a Luthor book more than a Superman one based on what we've seen of him

>Batman and Detective Comics

I don't give a shit about half of the characters in Tec, but I'm interested in where King is taking the Batman self-titled series and I''ll be following that.

>Green Arrow

Haven't read any of its issues yet

>Aquaman

Good shit. Art seems a little off, but its not as distracting as, say, Booth's work on Titans

>Titans

Really interested in how Abnett will be handling this team but god fuck Booth's artwork

>Wonder Woman

Haven't read it yet

>Flash

I like Williamson's voice for Barry and the other characters, but I'm disappointed that he seems to be retreading Manapul/Buccelato's Reverse Flash arc almost exactly

>Green Lanterns
I like the buddy cop set-up with Baz and Jessica but I'm scared it's going to go to shit the more this book develops.

Nothing is outright bad but nothing has really wowed me yet

Hard to hate anything we've seen so far, besides maybe the decompressed pacing -- which is balanced by most things coming out twice as quickly as before.

I think the biggest surprise is how good Tec is. I know the Sup Forums opinion is to hate the shit out of it (because nearly every Bat-family storytime gets brigaded to hell and back), but I think Tynion is turning in some great work. I would conversely say I'm most disappointed in WW's pacing, but I suppose it's still more readable than the Finch's crap.

Everything else is either serviceable or a step up from the New52. With the "real" #1s out of the way for every bi-weekly series, everything seems bright and hopeful now. When the #2s start rolling out (along with the third issues for AC/DC and even more new series), we'll start getting sense of their long-term quality. The previews for Batman #2 and Superman #2 already showcase some great stuff, so I'm hyped.

>Nothing is outright bad

I think that's actually the most important part for a company. If people aren't afraid of being burned then they'll be less hesitant to buy an issue on a whim.

>the "real" #1s out of the way for every bi-weekly series

Justice League, Justice League America, Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad, Cyborg, Deathstroke, and Nightwing have yet to even start.

>Superman
It's good. Exactly what I wanted.
>Action Comics
Supes acts out of character and more dumbsday is lamb but who doesn't love sex luthor?
>Batman
Meh. Hope it gets better.
>Detective
Actually looks to be a really good team book.
>GA
The best one so far, art is fantastic
>Aquaman
Meh. Art is pretty terrible.
>Titans
Fuck Booth. Excited for bumblebee's new badass design.
>Wonder Woman
Pretty good. Not feeling Sharp's art or the movie costume, though.
>Flash
Seems like a solid set-up.
>GLs
Average. Where the fuck is my Larfleeze, dogfucker?

>nothing has really wowed me yet

And likely never will. The era when 10/10 runs came out on monthly superhero ongoings is over. I doubt we'll ever see a random cape run on par with the classics ever again.

I meant, "of the ones we've seen so far", but you're right. Still a lot to come.

>Wonder Woman
Rebirth was a mess, but #1 was a good start and I'm intrigued

>Aquaman
Based Manta being a fucking asshole and ruining Arthur's hopes and dreams. Literally all I wanted

>Batman and Superman
Intrigued, awaiting more

>Green Arrow
Good other than Ollie randomly talking about his privilege out of nowhere

>Green Lanterns
I would rather this have been purely Cruz or have the main lantern alternate every issue. Alright so far

>Titans
Made me feel good inside, will give it a try

Haven't read Flash yet

I'd agree with most people as far as AC/DC - I do like Superman - but these few comments vary greatly from the ones we had on this site the nights those issues were released (which were highly positive for everything except for WW). I have yet to read Aquaman or WW, but what I've seen for makes me more interested to read on-going, versus waiting for trade (which is my usual and has been for years).

Is there anywhere online can find Hellblazer yet? I'm stuck on my tablet so torrents are out of the question.
Also, opinions on it?

I've only read Rebirth. Are the Rebirth issues of each book worth reading? Because it seems like they just set up the plot for the actual #1.

Really good overall. Titles range from excellent to okay. There's a wide opinion on which are the best, but that's fine. Comics are art and that means there's something for everyone. Most everyone agrees nothing's outright crap. Titans Rebirth was okay, it's just the standard Rebirth model of setting up the status quo and introducing things for new readers. We'll need to see the #1 to see how things really are, just like the other series.

it comes out in August

I haven't felt this satisfied with DC in a long time

Well fuck. I had read June 20th somewhere. I'll actually be able to buy it new then. I'm only pirating the shit I need to catch up so that's new 52 I give a fuck about and a couple other issues.

That's basically the whole concept, yeah.

We're both wrong, it comes out July 20th apparently. My bad! But yeah it isn't out yet

>With one month of Rebirth out of the way, what are your opinions on this whole thing so far?

I want to like Superman #1 but aside a from a few good moments the writing was really uneven. It tried to do too much in a single issue.

Wonder Woman is amazing. Rucka's common flaw is his slow pacing but he has a purpose and direction so he is moving swiftly. It's good.

GA is fine. Not quite what I want, but what I know many want.

I'm not really interested in the others.

Green Lanterns is....not quite where I want it to be, but DC hasn't been interested in that kind of story for a long time.

Are there any that are must-reads?

Except GA, none of them are worth reading.

>Are the Rebirth issues of each book worth reading?

Of the ones we've seen:
== Necessary ==
* Green Arrow: Rebirth is effectively the #1, so you have to read it to understand GA #1.

* WW Rebirth, likewise, is effectively the #1, although pretty much nothing happens in it. But you kind of do need to read it to get why things are happening in WW #1.

* Titans Rebirth is effectively the #1, especially with how important it is in the context of the overall "Rebirth" plot.

== Cool but unnecessary ==

* Flash Rebirth has little bits of stuff about the Rebirth plot, but it's nothing important. And in fact, the couple of important things that happen in Flash Rebirth are summarized pretty effectively in real #1. The only reason to read it is that we see the ending of the Wally and Barry meet-up, which is a great spread.

* GLs Rebirth technically isn't necessary, although you miss out on a LOT of future plot setup. But you could just read the #1 itself without too much issue, I suppose.

== Unnecessary ==

* Aquaman Rebirth has some interesting worldbuilding, but is ultimately not too important to what comes next.

* Superman Rebirth doesn't cover anything new. It spends some pages talking about the Death of Superman arc from the 90s and about how the new52 Superman really is dead. But in the context of Action Comics 957-958 and Superman 1, you really don't need to have read this.

* Batman Rebirth literally just summarizes the last takeaways of the New52 Batman run (Bruce died and now he's back; Duke is his new sidekick but not a Robin). It also hints of Calendar Man being a thing, but as far as we know, it's not going to matter in this first arc. In fact, King/Snyder literally wrote Batman Rebirth after the #1's script was finished.

Not that they're bad, but they're a waste of time since they just act as preview.

WW and Titans don't have much of a story. He can just ask someone for synopsis. At least GA seems to have a complete story, which is fun. I found the rest quite meh.

Thanks! I missed them when they first came out but I want to get back into monthlies.

>* GLs Rebirth technically isn't necessary, although you miss out on a LOT of future plot setup. But you could just read the #1 itself without too much issue, I suppose.
it's probably worth reading to see why Jess and Simon only have one battery between them and for the hints at future stuff

Seems too soon to judge for now. I'll wait for at least three issues, but I found Superman, Aquaman and Batman the most promising. Others haven't been bad either, but I don't think I expect much from the creative teams.

Wonderful.

the June launches were alright, I will probably keep up with Wondy, GA and maybe Aquaman

I am looking forward to some upcoming books a lot more though

I forgot to mention GA as well. It looks promising as well.

>Green Arrow

That's par for the course for Capt. Liberal Douche though.

>Good because of Ollie randomly talking about his privilege out of nowhere.
FTFY. I'm going to orgasm if Percy has Ollie call someone a Nazi.

literally all good to some degree.

Green Arrow is the kind of guy who's left parties because of arguments before.

I can't believe how quick to gobble up DC's shit you people have been after the last five years.

What are you even saying? This sentence is so poorly worded that it's barely even english.

>Superman

Fucking fantastic, but that's mostly bias since I'm a huge fan of Peter Tomasi and Pat Gleason. Actually am in this more for Jon (son) than Superman himself.

>Action Comics

Good, not amazing, but a lot of fun just due to all the what the fuck moments happening so far.

>Batman

Fucking fantastic, one of the best Batman issues I've read. Also surprised at how good Finch's art was when he has a good inker/colorist.

>Detective Comics

Boring as fuck, only care about Clayface and he only gets like one page of dialogue each issue so far. Eddy Barrows is a great artist but his talent is wasted on Tynion's shit writing.

>Green Arrow

The Rebirth One Shot was great but then it hurt itself by backpedaling on a lot of stuff next issue.

>Aquaman

Is'okay. Not amazing, not bad, just decent enough to please Aquaman fans.

>Titans

Would be amazing but Booth's art really kills the feel of the book since his art really fluctuates in quality, especially with body proportions.

>Wonder Woman

Honestly a exposition heavy snore fest, not sure why people like Rucka's Wonder Woman so much.

>Flash

Only series so far to make me super excited for the next issues. Williamson does amazing cliffhangers which is perfect for comics.

>Green Lanterns

It's cool, never been a huge fan of the buddy cop storyline and could care less about another pair of new human GLs desu.

Titans Rebirth was great.

>backpedaling on a lot of stuff next issue

Explain.

Titans was good. Even Booth's art didn't bother me.

Aquaman, Action Comics, Superman, and Titans are great.

I'm gonna give Flash a few more issues, but it's not that great so far. The Rebirth issue was okay, but the #1 didn't get me at all.

I'm most excited for Gotham Academy's return.

>Justice League America
Tentative release date is now TBD probably because of all those fucking delays on Hitch JLA.

>Harley Quinn
#1 boasts more than 30 retailer-exclusive variants already.

>Eddy Barrows is a great artist but his talent is wasted on Tynion's shit writing.
Also Barrows tends to draw a small chunk worth of issues so he was replaced in the next issue by Alvaro Martinez, the other regular penciller for Tec.

Everything as usual but with extra FEELS.

He won't call Hal or Carter Nazi, it's not the same.

I'm saying the people who are buying into DC's PR and actually being excited about yet another reboot are morons and a large part of the problem.

The writing in Flash sucks ass but the art is such a great fit. Di Gandomenico(or whatever his name is) is doing an excellent job and Plascencia is killing it.

>Di Gandomenico(or whatever his name is)
Carmine Di Giandomenico

>[Ivan] Plascencia is killing it.
Eh

Detective has been the best for me, decompressed but Barrows art is brilliant. Really loved the Azrael pages in 934 were kind of amazing.

Enjoyed Batman and Wonder Woman #1's (thought the Rebirth issues were eh)

Flash has been ok and I haven't read anything else.

>Not even a reboot
>Have you kept up with comics instead of spouting memes from TMS or BC? They have managed to lock some good talent in the past year.

I cried

>New number ones
>"New" status quo
>New logo
>Not a reboot

Keep swallowing that DC PR shit sandwich and asking for more. If you kept up with comics you would know supporting any decision current DC makes is helping to kill the company.

We were on planet 52 for like 4 years and DCYou for way less. Righting the ship is not "killing the industry" it's common sense.

Marvel must be rebooting every six months then.

DC You was New 52. Rebirth is New 52. They are "righting the ship" by continuing down the terrible path of creative bankruptcy while hoping superfluous changes and publicity will be enough to trick the rubes who are so desperate for things they like to be good they will forget it's the same people delivering the same bland, shitty product.

Read Superman Rebirth last night. What the fuck is this script? Who talks like that?

If it's a line wide initiative deliberately trying to distance themselves from previous continuity while creating a "new jumping on point" then it's a reboot, I don't give a fuck what the PR department says. Nice company wars though.

Honest question from a casual:

I haven't followed comics on a weekly/monthly basis for over five years now, and I've barely kept up with the major events of the big two through discussion treads on here and the occasional storytime. If I was interested in following comics on a regular basis again, would this "Rebirth" relaunch be an appropriate time to do so, or does it require me to be familiar with the histories of these characters for it to be appreciated?

>words mean what *I* want them to mean!!!

Bait better.

>Honest question

Action Comics I did not enjoy. I don’t want to read another Doomsday plot; he is one of the worst villains around. And I am not a fan of Superman’s characterisation in this, he feels like a bully. The mysteries set up I don’t really care for and this book seems to be paced in a way that it’ll just get tiring by the time they get around to dealing with them.

Aquaman has had a decent start. I found the the Rebirth one shot to be pretty meh, but that was because it was mostly a recap issue. The actual first issue on the other hand I really enjoyed. It was a good start with a great moment from a favourite villain of mine. Abnett also itroduced two new characters and immediately got me to care about them. I’m looking forward to more of this book.

Batman Rebirth #1 was a very underwhelming book that felt like a whole bunch of nothing to me. It set up Duke Thomas and a new take on Calendar Man but most of it was just fluff. I wasn’t a fan of it. The actual #1 issue of Batman was much better. It wasn’t anything extraordinary but it was decent enough and has me looking forward to King on Batman.

Detective Comics I found to be mostly meh. Eddy Barrows had some real nice art on it but I don’t care for the plot Tynion is writing. And some of the scenes he wrote read like they came straight out of bad fanfiction. But I’ll admit to liking the small scenes of Clayface we’ve gotten so far.

Green Arrow is definitely my favourite Rebirth title so far. Ben Percy has improved a lot since he first started his run a little over a year ago. Each issue felt like they had their own complete story and I really like that. I’m loving the dynamic between Dinah and Ollie. And as I’m enjoying the rest of the comic the twist at the end of the first issue definitely has me intrigued. Also, Otto Schmidt’s art on this has been great and real blast to see.

Green Lanterns was alright, nothing really entertaining but not awful either. I’m not a fan of the voice Humphries has given Simon. Also not happy with the Red Lanterns being generic rage animals again. At least don’t make Bleez team up with Atrocitus.

Superman Rebirth #1 wasn’t very good, I thought. It was just a boring story with a lot of recap. The actual #1 was much better with some brilliant artwork by Patrick Gleason. Unfortunately, it was far too decompressed and didn’t seem worth it. It’ll probably read better in trade, but this is a monthly title and that simply doesn’t cut it.

The Flash was alright, but I’m not a fan. The story Williamson is writing is basically the same premise as the Reverse Flash arc from Manapul/Buccaletto and that just makes me dissapointed. Plus another goddamn evil speedster?! I don’t care for them, I don’t want to read about them. Eventually enough is enough.

Titans was a surprising one for me because I actually enjoyed it. I’ve got no nostalgia for the charcters and am only really familiar with Dick and Wally, but I still really liked it. It was very barebones on plot and just reintroducing the team to Wally, but I enjoyed all their character interactions. I hope Abnett does well on this title.

Wonder Woman was disappointing. In the Rebirth issue and the main plot in the actual #1 all that has really happened is that we’ve been told something is wrong with Wonder Woman’s history. That’s just the plot summary?!?!? Decompression was a mistake. And being a fan of the Azzarello run it really does not please me that Rucka seems to be just wiping that run clean. At least keep his interpretation of the gods intact.

tl;dr Rebirth has been pretty meh so far. But Green Arrow was an exception and looks pretty good so far. Batman, Titans, and Aquaman also look pretty promising. The rest not so much, and I only expect Superman and Wonder Woman to be able to change my opinion any time soon.

Yea, everything is a reboot now.

>Words mean what companies who are trying to sell me products want them to mean!!!

Keep mindlessly sucking that corporate dick

>meme arrows

Yes, "honest question." Because I want a real answer, instead of some stupid company wars discussion, because I want to know if I can get a genuine comic recommendation or not from the fucking comic book board

If you ever actually followed comics on any regular basis then you would know the answer to your question already.

Everything is same as five years ago, with new costumes and Superman being replaced with pre-FP Superman.

What are such 10/10 runs, user?

I would say yes, it is. The Rebirth one-shots who came out in the last months are pretty good at giving you an overview of what and where the characters are right now. There will occasionally be references to recent events or other comics, but that's pretty much always the case. I'd say if there's any characters you're interested in, it's a good point to get on board.

What a surprise. I wonder if any of these "casuals" have ever been told not to jump on board with a new reboot.

It's a good starting point, but some stuff will be better after you've read some older stories.
Like Action Comics is Death And Return of Superman again, and Detective Comics is bringing Cass, Steph, and Tim together again.

And if he doesn't?

Jesus, just give the kid a fucking answer.

You're probably good to jump in. If you haven't read much in the past then there are absolutely going to be references you don't understand.

At the end of the day, though, do you need to know everything about World War 1 to study World War 2? Probably not.

Just because something is a reboot doesn't mean it's easier to get in to. Especially when the entire point of the reboot is to re-inject a bunch of shit they never read to begin with.

>The released books are enjoyable to read.
>Hurr why are you falling for PR?
Okay man.

The Rebirth specials set the status quo for each line and are a good primer for new readers. For example, if you wanted to read Superman, you read the Rebirth special to see what's going on overall and then it moves to the numbered issues. We're just at the first wave of titles still and the only new lines released with accompanying Rebirth specials are Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lanterns, Green Arrow, Flash and Titans. So overall, it's a good place to start if you'd like to check things out. More new lines and specials will be released over the next 2-3 months.

>Superman #1 tried to do too much in a single issue
>Wonder Woman is moving swiftly
I'd hate to read a monthly book that even you think is decompressed

Green arrow is probably the must read so far. Being a Wally fan I'm picking up flash and Titans nmw happens though.

It's not a reboot, you fucking idiot.

>"EVERYTHING IS A REBOOT"

You're like those faggots who say that "all comics are cape because they have fighting and/or drama". A new marketing campaign doesn't constitute a "reboot", faggot.

>If I was interested in following comics on a regular basis again, would this "Rebirth" relaunch be an appropriate time to do so?

Close enough.

>does it require me to be familiar with the histories of these characters for it to be appreciated?

If you know who they are then you know enough.

There's tons.

Yeah, give examples.

Have you never read a comic before 2012?

Keep regurgitating those slogans guys.

Do you even know what "reboot" means?

WHY DOES Sup Forums THINK EVERYTHING IS A REBOOT NOW?

Pedantry doesn't change the fact that they rebooted everything about their company except the continuity and even that is in flux with their constant stupidity.

Saying that Rebirth is reboot is easy way to get (You)s.

>I'd hate to read a monthly book that even you think is decompressed

Rachel Rising, pretty much anything Bendis does, etc.

WW Rebirth setup the status quo. Wonder Woman #1 setup Diana pursuing her archenemy Cheetah for help. That's 2/2 on the plot development as far as I'm concerned.

By comparison we got Jon vaporizing a kitten, the trinity reconciling the other superman's death, a really boring conversation between Jon and a little girl, there' some nice character beats, but it's overstuffed.

I could really feel the issue "shift gears" when I was reading certain dialog scenes. I dislike when I can tell I'm reading a conversation that will not matter later.

>WW Rebirth setup the status quo. Wonder Woman #1 setup Diana pursuing her archenemy Cheetah for help. That's 2/2 on the plot development as far as I'm concerned.
both of those could've been done in one issue as far as I'm concerned

Yeah, with clustered dialog scenes, no action beats, and cramped writing.

They start with the same three letters you moronic fucks.

They rebooted nothing.

I want to know what YOU think are 10/10 runs on monthly superhero ongoings. Because I simply do not agree with you that there won't be another great run "on par with the classics".

>rebooted everything except the continuity

They rebooted their numbering, their lineup, their writing staff, and their fucking logo, while drastically changing continuity. It's a reboot.

>They rebooted their numbering
This doesn't change the story
>their lineup, their writing staff
So literally every time a new creative team comes on, it's a reboot?
>their fucking logo
This is just retarded
>while drastically changing continuity
This is blatantly false

>while drastically changing continuity.

No they didn't. The only thing different from New 52 and Rebirth is that Wally came back. Even old Superman came back before Rebirth.
According to your standards Marvel has a reboot every year and that's just wrong. Honestly Secret Wars was more of a reboot than Rebirth was

Literally nothing rebooted.

No, when they do these things all at the same time it's a fucking reboot. They are attempting to rebrand their entire company with large visible changes and are creating a new jumping on point. And saying that the past five years is the fever dream of a being capable of messing with time is a drastic continuity change, even if DC will invariably forget to follow up on it or do it in the dumbest way imaginable. I don't know how or why you would argue otherwise.

Except the numbering, the creative lineup, the logo, and the return of old continuity.

>their lineup, their writing staff,
People come and go all the time, in what universe do people getting new jobs count as a "reboot"

did I reboot my life when I moved houses?

also the writing lineup is not much different than it was a year ago