How much of the events in the book were cut out for this?

How much of the events in the book were cut out for this?

A good bit
No Glorfindel
No Bombadil (this is fine)
Elves showing up at Helms Deep (wtf)
No Aragorn and co. + Rangers
Pelennor Fields wasn't done right
No House of Healing
No Scouring of the Shire

Only ones that bother me

Let me try and list them off the top of my head.

Angry Trees in the Hobbit Forest, Tom Bombadil, the Barrow-Downs, Gandalf being at Weathertop before Aragorn, the group meeting up with a Lothlorien Elf who helps them through the forest before getting to the city, and that's about it. Oh, there was that reflecting pool they chance upon outside of Moria after losing Gandalf, but that's more of a side-thing than it's own event.

As an add-on to what others have said, the movies totally butcher Faramir's character, in a way that genuinely makes me upset. I like them for what they are but they're actually kind of shoddy adaptations.

they actually didn't cut out much from the books, they did change and tweak things though. i haven't read the books since i was a kid but from what i remember - they cut out the barrow down section, tom bombadil, after rivendel the fellowship gets chased by wargs for a few days (i think? not sure on this, i do remember something getting chased by wargs). saruman didn't conjure up some storm to get the fellowship off the mountain, the mountain got pissed off and wanted them to fuck off. the rest of the movie is more or less accurate to the structure

Eh, the point of Faramir's character was this good-natured yet utterly mundane guy getting swept up into a conflict that requires big-dick heroes like Aragorn or Gandalf. The movie fucked up in a big way with this by making him desire the ring, but after that they did an exquisite job with him in RotK.

>LOTR was 15 years ago

>faramirs suicide charge on osgiliath

Pure kino

>they didn't cut much from the books
>glorfindel, Bombadil, the rangers, most of the fucking hobbits gone
>Treebeard becomes a literal retard
>little to no deliberation over why all the alternatives besides the march to Gorgoroth won't work
>almost all worldbuilding trashed
>no campfire stories
>almost no songs
>no sense of history at all
>movie suggests that the ring just makes you invisible
>all religious imagery gone
>garbage romance subplots added

>almost all world building trashed
they did plenty, i don't know what more you expect in a movie that's 3 hours long, if they went full tolkien with world building and history the movies would be five times longer

>no campfire stories
>almost no songs
the songs are annoying to read and cheesy as all fuck, they did it in the hobbit to please tolkien autists and it didn't work at all

>movie suggests that the ring just makes you invisible
don't start this argument. the fact is everyone who wears it in the books go invisible and it doesn't really do anything else. bilbo, frodo, sam, gollum, even isildo (tries to put it on when he gets attacked to go invisible and escape). it turns them all invisible and that's pretty much it.

>garbage romance subplots added
i'd rather have this than fucking songs

Tom Bombadil is the most powerful character in all of LOTR

>"If I should return, think better of me father.."
fugg

>That will depend on the manner of your return

Yes and no, he's an extremely powerful yet extremely localized nature spirit.

The nature of power in Lord of the Rings is such that you can expend magic to exert your will, but when it's spent it's spent. Morgoth did this by corrupting Creation itself with sin and evil, but he spent so much of his power that the greatest of the Valar was able to be checked by mere mortals. Sauron found an ingenious way to circumvent this by creating a Ring that held his Power, and by linking the Ring with the others he was able to directly exert his Power over the wielders of said Rings (and it served as a means to amplify and store his power, besides. In many ways it was a phylactery.)

Tom Bombadil chose not to expend his considerable power on the entirety of the forest, or store it into an object like his blue-capped hat. He spent his power into a parcel of the forest, and if you consider Power to be similar to a liquid in that it can be concentrated or diluted, this means his (relatively) tiny patch of paradise was entirely bound to his whim and whimsy.

This is why Tom Bombadil appears to be so mighty.

these threads are always amusing. tolkientards can't even agree on what the ring actually does. what tolkien wrote about the rings powers are so fucking vague and inconsistent that everyone has a different explanation.

the nazgul have been alive the entire time gollum and bilbo had the ring. they didn't fucking sense them wearing it at any point? the purpose of the ring is to get back to sauron, right? so gollum has the thing for 500 years and it corrupts his mind, yet the ring never makes him bring it back to its master? the fuck is this inconsistent shit

The Ring was made in Mount Doom, and until Gollum told them exactly where the Ring was, Mount Doom was dormant.

Poetry, don't you think? They show Mount Doom waking up just before the Nazgul race out to find the Ring, and in Return of the King Mount Doom dies when the Ring does. The two are connected.

Just the boring shitty stuff.

so mount doom is actually sauron cumming? lol wtf? what does mount doom being dormant have anything to do with what i wrote. why would it be dormant in the first place if they all know the ring is still out there, considering sauron is still alive?

Mentioning that fucking 17 years pass between Bilbo's party and Frodo's departure.

>all religious imagery gone

Allegoryfags need to leave

>what does mount doom being dormant have anything to do with what i wrote
You were asking why the Nazgul never sensed the Ring getting used by Gollum or Bilbo and that is because the Ring was sleeping, just like Mount Doom was sleeping up until Fellowship of the Ring.

>why would it be dormant in the first place if they all know the ring is still out there, considering sauron is still alive?
Sauron was still building his strength at this point in the story, Gandalf is very specific about this when he comes back to the Shire to tell Frodo he needs to get the FUCK out.

>Frodo had 17 years to get comfortable in the best house in the Shire

>the ring was sleeping

the ring was in possession of gollum for 500 years and then bilbo for 60, it wasn't sleeping, stop making shit up

sauron has been building his army since dol guldur

They didn't realize it was *the* ring at the time. It would be like you discovering a genade in your grandpas war cellar, and then two decades later you find out it's a low yield nuke

>tfw high frame rate makes cgi look shitty and makes the movie feel less cinematic and thus makes it impossible to feel immersed in the story

actually the extended edition has a few house of healing scenes

Is the house of healing in Elrond's joint?

LOTR didn't have a high frame rate you cunt

should i read these or are they just hype?

I'm talking about the Hobbit trilogy.

They were right to cut the Scouring of the Shire. It's very anticlimactic for a film. Sarumans death should never have been cut though

Faramir having no desire for the ring was complete bollocks. His desire but ability to overcome it unlike his brother shows that he was a strong man but in a different way. I say it was a change for the better

i think it has to do with the nature of halflings, who desire to be left alone with what they love more than anything. Men and elves tend to draw themselves to their own doom in an attempt to use it for power or to defeat sauron which is exactly what he wants you to do. Boromir suggests this before he is told he cant wield it. Mortals cant bring out the power in it only demigods like sauron, gandalf, etc. could actually use it's power for anything other than going invisible.

Well Satan you should probably mention the Hobbit in your post or replay to a post talking about the Hobbit because we cant read your fucking mind

only the first one had it

Ay. I've had a long night of torturing the damned. Cut me some slack and I might remove your name from the special spot I have reserved in hell for your boipucci.

>tolkientards can't even agree on what the ring actually does
Half the fun of these threads is talking about the different interpretations because at the end of the day it's still left for debate we all love the books/movies.

ehh. the movies are good enough tbqh. the books can get pretty boring and extremely stupid in some parts. someone mentioned world building and history in this thread, the books do have more world building and history than the movies, but it's still not enough, lotr is the ass end of a story that stretches back thousands of years, and almost none of that history is in lotr, for that you'd have to read the silmarillion (good luck, it's extremely boring)

>tfw you realize Galadriel is the reason everything is happening
>she does nothing to help despite being the strongest being in Middle Earth
>muh silmarils

>(good luck, it's extremely boring)
However you have small sections that are just amazing and make it worth it because it feels like you're reading about actual hero's and tragedies that occurred in the history's of the World.

>strongest being in Middle Earth
Not by a long shot, even if you put aside Tom Memebadil.

>Pelennor Fields wasn't done right
I think merging Theodens and Eomers role was a good choice. I do miss seeing the witch king showing up with his flaming sword as Grond smashes the gates though, not sure why they changed that to generic trolls.

During the fellowship she arguably was.

I agree with this man. I have no idea why everyone always complains about this change of Faramir' character. What would be the point or sense of conflict with the Faramir encounter if not for this? The characterization is a lot clearer and ties in better with the Boromir/Denethor stuff, all round just a good change for him to be tempted in the same way as Boromir but be shown to be the better man.

you wot mate, the films absolutely nail this and is what sets it apart from other fantasy trash.

there's nothing wrong with the changes they made with faramir in the movies and anyone who says they ruined his character are just autistic tolkien fan boys

if autist tolkien fan boys were in charge of making these movies they'd be 10 hours long and boring as shit

Fanboys with no sense of the genius of adaptation that is in this thing annoy me to no end. They don't know just how lucky they are to have this trilogy the way it is.

In the books there was a pegging scene involving Galadriel.