Vertigo (1958)

well that was a fucking let down.

loving it until the reveal, then our Detective protagonist becomes a retard and forces a woman to do shit for him.

do critics that applaud this film forget about the hyper-farfetched last 1/3?

it's definitely beautiful and keeps your intrigue, but man that last part just went off the rails in such a bad and convoluted way

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/comments/1e21bf/vertigo_1958/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>the hyper-farfetched last 1/3?
thats the point. Although the ending is shit, in my opinion.
Its good how Hitchcock can make really disturbing ideas not so disturbing though.

>he watches movies for the plot
>he thinks the last act actually happened
try rewatching it as an adult

>Its good how Hitchcock can make really disturbing ideas not so disturbing though.
true, but it also helps that Jimmy Stewart is a saint of a man

I'm well aware, but why make it in such a dumb way?
sure Johns conscience can think up better shit than that "uhh and I guess she falls because she got spooked and it totally wasn't my fault bringing her up there, the end", plus it takes up 1/3 of the film!

idiot. the flick is to smart for you

thanks for your time

no problem my friend, anytime

did you know that Orson Welles also didn't think this film deserved all the praise it got?

Exposition: The Movie
The ending felt so poorly put together and sudden.
Pic related is far superior.

how does that matter?

I agree
Rear Window is made as well as it can be
Vertigo, with its convoluted ending (even for a dream), isn't made as well as it could be

it doesn't, it's just a fun fact

When she turned out to be his Aunty I was like "fuck this"

>le third act was just a dream! genius!
Heh... laughable. Do the sub-130 IQ morons who pretend to like this shit actually think layman twists like that make this flick worth thinking about?

Foreal? As if he couldn't get anymore based.

you're right.

whether it is or isn't a dream, it doesn't make the convoluted bad ending any better or worse.

ye, but he also didn't like Rear Window that much. I think it's pretty great for a small film.

I disagree with Orson on a few things, and I'm bummed out that he didn't like movies that much.
on Rear Window
> Everything is stupid about it…[Jimmy Stewart] is kind of looking to the left and giving as bad a performance as he ever gave
I think Jimmy Stewart is great in it. One of my favorite shows from him. Kind of weird that Orson would trash his friend, but what are friends for?

my reasons for liking the film:
dreamlike, intriguing, beautiful.

my reasons for disliking the film (all plot related):
>Madeleine disappears in the hotel and its never explained.
>the murder plot revolves around John not being able to climb one more set of stairs and opening a latch, then for him to not look at the body
>Midge disappears from the film (an amateur flaw often seen in a student film)
>Judy is still living in San Fran and working a job... Elster mustn't have given her a lot of money for covering up a murder
>Judy conveniently forgets about the necklace (or its in the dream ya ya)

>>Midge disappears from the film (an amateur flaw often seen in a student film)

What do you mean by this? I don't understand. She fullfills everything her character was there for in relation to stewart and then she goes away, marking the beginning of the third act and the way for the obsessiveness in stewarts character to take over him completely.

it's as if she is forgotten about, rather than her job is complete.

don't get me wrong, it's not a huge problem for me.
established characters don't often disappear for an entire 1/3 of a film, never to be seen again.

She has a perfect send off. I really think you should rewatch the film.

why can't it be intentional? she was his last anchor to reality

it didn't feel like it.

and I don't think I will. I almost love everything up until the dumb reveal.
I understand that the murder plot isn't the point of the film at all, but it's done so poorly that it takes me out of the film completely.

why can't the identity and changing who you are part of the film integrate with something more solid?

sure, I see that.
he lets go of her and chases what he wants, dream or no dream

I don't understand why you think the reveal is dumb. I think Vertigo has one of the best third acts of any film ever.

being an already rich-ish guy, paying someone that looks exactly like your wife that you miraculously found a small amount of money to pretend to be your wife that going nuts so that you can lead an old detective friend that suffers from vertigo to a location that will fake the wife's suicide whilst the detective is powerless to stop it and pray that he doesn't look at the body, ever so that you can become a bit richer and send your old friend nuts...

vs a dream-like venture into identity.

that's why I think the reveal is dumb. really dumb. it's almost like two different directors made this film, with two different writers.

James Stewart doesn't know what his wife actually looks like, also he became rich by marrying into his wife's family fortune.

ive seen 3 hitchcock flicks and they all had subpar endings.
-birds, oh uh lets just drive to this other town, oh and these attacks are going on everywhere. hey the birds arent attacking us anymore for some reason
-vertigo, OMFG SCARIE - ill just fall off the tower lmao/ END
- rear window, but WAS HE the killer? lets just assume he is fuk it and ruin his life (actually this one didnt really bother me)

convenient that he didn't check the body.

>he's never seen psycho yet he thinks he deserves to have an opinion on films

>rear window, but WAS HE the killer? lets just assume he is fuk it and ruin his life
Well, he only assumes until he's absolutely sure of it. It gets obvious he did it.
>(actually this one didnt really bother me)
Oh good.

Rear window was nowhere near as good as vertigo. It was extremely predictable with a climatic scene that could fit in a shitty B movie (just close your eyes fucktard). I did enjoy it, especially the "fake" looking set that actually created it's own charm but vertigo is on a whole different level

anyway thanks for everyone's replies.

I liked the film a lot up until the reveal, but it just falls too hard on its face with convenience and convolution for me to enjoy it again.

it most definitely it not the greatest film of all time, nor is it flawless.

dat dream sequence though

cheers

It's basically just a movie about an old man who gets trolled really hard

I just think you are nitpicking something that doesn't actually matter at all

You do know this movie was made in the late 50s right? What seems like a cliche, pretentious attempt at an ending to you now is not how it was received at the time. You have to watch movies in the context of their time, and even then it's still a damn good movie that's entertaining to everyone even 60 years later.

I feel as if the film goes out of its way to be dumb

you set up this decent divergent mystery with great themes, then tell the audience loads of dumb shit and expect them to carry on with the previous theme

it's a waste. the same theme with a regular murder mystery would've been so much better.

YOU FUCKIN WHAT M8; I WILL FIGHT YOU

ITT: brainlets who missed the point of the movie

Enlighten us.

The reason I like Rear Window is the arc that Grace Kelly's character goes through and the things that are implied by her actions. She wants convince him that she can be adventurous.

Funny, I just read this yesterday and those, and more questions are answered but here's it shortly put

>Madeleine disappears
I thought it was just Scott seeing things which is plausible enough for me. The reddit text has a more formal explanation for it though.

>murder plot
Yeah quite funny how he gets the phobia of heights and then gets thrown in to thid murder plot but movies often have a ridiculous premise which is understandable. "Why did thing x happen?" Because this movie wouldn't exist if it didn't
>Midge disappears
She's not needed for the plot
>Judy forgets the necklace
Reddit had something on this I forgot

reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/comments/1e21bf/vertigo_1958/

It's a shit movie. Hitchcock is shit.

I was really intrigued by the whole reincarnation of the woman in the painting aspect, but it was all bullshit. AND fuck Jimmy Stewart.

Does Mad Men intro reference this scene?

Hitchcock actually didn't want to include the flashback scene which explains the murder

>the last act didn't actually happen
what the hell is wrong with you

Seeing nu-Sup Forums try to discuss a movie is fucking saddening

>all these fucking plotbabbies
jesus christ
you're all approaching vertigo as a murder mystery and nitpicking shit about the plot that literally doesn't matter at all, that's where you go wrong

>hating Jimmy Stewart
Please come back when you're not a pleb

>MUH AGORAPHOBIA

he also says that the murder is the worst flaw of the movie because it doesn't really make any sense