Rewatching BTAS and this episode really impressed me

Rewatching BTAS and this episode really impressed me.

Why aren't modern superhero shows like this? My nephew likes to watch whatever the new Spiderman cartoon is and its just non stop quips and beating up bad guys, they'd never do anything serious like this. I know Spiderman has never really been known for getting "deep" but still.

Why do modern shows treat kids like they must be idiots?

Also BTAS thread, what are your favorite episodes? I really liked the 2 face arc, this, and heart of ice so far.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchance_to_Dream_(Batman:_The_Animated_Series)
dailymotion.com/video/x1qp3rk_the-late-mr-kent-superman-s2-e35_shortfilms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

I've been re-watching the show too. It's a shame nothing is this stylized and thought-out. It's like no one wants anything actually deep.

It's honestly quite disheartening too.

I like P.O.V , Almost got him, and The one where everyone thought that guy (Sid the squid killed batman.

Yea P.O.V. was good

It really is. Kids today will never know good cartoons like this.

I really loved the Grey Ghost episode.

>Spiderman has never really been known for getting "deep"
Fuck you.

That was a damn good episode.

Fires of Olympus, Day of the Samurai, and the Demon's Quest are my favorite.
Is Ra's ever going to be relevant again?

for some odd reason, people seem to dislike this episode (if I'm not mistaken)

I thought it was a thrilling and entertaining episode, even if people think that it's not at it's best. An execution that not many shows can deliver today, even as a mediocre two-parter. The music score in those eps was one of the best, I must say.

Heck, I'm not even pissed of at the episode "I've Got Batman In My Basement", because I didn't take it so seriously and had fun.

The only one that I wasn't impressed with ""The Underdwellers". It just didn't work for me.

More favorite eps:
"P.O.V."
"Two-Face"
"It's Never Too Late"
"Heart of Ice"
"Beware the Gray Ghost"
"Joker's Favor"
"Mad as a Hatter"
"Almost Got 'Im"
"The Man Who Killed Batman"
"Trial"
"Baby-Doll"

Check out "A Bullet for Bullock," they talk about crack houses in that one.

I like BTAS, but it shouldn't be treated like the standard for action cartoons because it ws something unique, almost impossible to replicate. It had a lot of work and talent behind it and was so good to justify a whole universe with multiple series.
Anyway, my favorites usually are the Joker and Two-Face episodes, but the absolute best one for me is "Almost Got'im"

Just watched these 2, they weren't bad but not my favorite.

I remember watching one as a kid where Scarecrow makes it so no one feels fear anymore, was that BTAS or one of the later versions? I know they had a Batman and Robin series as well and another one but it was still the same people doing them.

>it shouldn't be the standard cause it was too good

So people shouldn't be expected to put in this kind of effort now?

next to adam west batman, this btas is my definitive version of the caped crusader.

think i laughed the hardest is when the joker is up against the wall being threatened by that guy with a bomb and joker is like, 'come on you have a busy day, all that running around with BATMAN!!!'

If you listen to Paul Dini and Mark Hamill on Fatman on Batman, it's clear they really did love being involved with BTAS.

"This cartoon isn't being made for people of my age" isn't the same as "UGH THEY TREAT KIDS LIKE IDIOTS". Get the fuck out with that entitled insipid shit, specially the delusion that makes you think all kids favor serious plotlines over humor and light-hearted fun. If they did Young Justice wouldn't have flopped.

I think that's "Joker's Favor" that's a damn good episode.

But where are the cartoons like this? That's the point user "light hearted fun" is all they make anymore

This guy is correct. That's my absolute favorite episode. I love stories about average citizens dealing with the kind of shit that goes on in these universes.

They kind of do treat kids like idiots, though.

Nothing wrong with light-hearted fun, but that's ALL they're feeding them, and it's not even very good. Kids deserve better.

And that's not why YJ got cancelled.

Commercial product follow trends. If they're not making shows like BTAS it's because they seem to not be very profitable right now, for VARIOUS reasons that extend way and above beyond simplistic reactionary accusations like "they don wanna put the effort i 'spose".

This is the eintertainment business, none of us are entitled to the existence of stuff we like, it is to us to simply hope one day it swings in our favor again, but it's just small-minded to go "kids these days ugh" when most nerds, regardless of what they like, are some dumb motherfuckers anyway.

It's been awhile but if I remember correctly, the random slub who the Joker terrorizes throughout the episode really nails the dynamic between Bat-man and Joker.
>This is how it ends, Joker. No big schemes. No grand fight to the finish with the Dark Knight. Tomorrow all the papers will say is it the great Joker who was found blown to bits in an alley alongside a miserable little nobody?" Kinda funny. Ironic really. See, I can destroy a man's dreams too and that's really the only dream you've got? Isn't it?

I'm not going "kids these days ugh" I'm going "producers these days ugh" but alright fair enough.

I know they have to make money user I just wish they didn't wanna make money exclusively off of low effort shit.

You don't get to decide what is better, and much more importantly you would be mad to assume this is all kids experience. My little cousin is reading Sherlock Holmes along with watching cartoons along with studying hours and hours above what I had to study back in my day. There is a WORLD beyond cartoons.

In fact, that would be an interesting study wouldn't it? Kids study more so media is being made breezier and faster. There's something to be linked there if one would be inclined to investigate.

And yes it IS why YJ got cancelled, Greg Weisman himself said they didn't have enough kids watching, so no one was buying the toys, so there was no financial reason to keep going, regardless of the comforting indignation people want to fabricate out of "grr they didnt want girls watching it!", an explanation that doesn't even make fucking sense since no company would go "too much money we didn't expect! Abort!"

I didn't say that. What I meant was that the DCAU is a masterpiece and masterpieces shouldn't used as a standard.
Animators should still aim to make a good product, with good artstyle and good story, but these days we don't see often

The job of an entertainer is to entertain the best
they can, a masterpiece is the most perfect entertainment.

So should everyone not strive to entertain as
well as is possible?

The highest heights of human achievement
should always be what people are held to as a
standard otherwise you get our shitty modern
culture.

Kids eat up whatever shit you put in front of
them, when you put stupid shit they become
stupid shits, when you put good shit they have
a chance to become good.

Then what's your excuse for becoming a mongoloid?

Cultural backbone comes from places beyond cartoons. Pity the hollow skulls that do nothing but watch cartoons.

>Kids study more
>my cousin is intelligent and studies so all kids study now

its more like "executives these days, ugh"

When I was a kid, I didn't even realize that Simon Trent was Adam West. I barely even recognized that the Gray Ghost was the Shadow (I kinda, sorta got the connection from the Alec Baldwin movie).

I'm glad that the media of my youth was sufficiently nuanced and multilayered that I can appreciate it more, now, in adulthood.

Watching the episode now. Really good. I never noticed he was Adam West as a kid either it's awesome.

I especially like how integral the Gray Ghost is to B:TAS mythology.

It was such a clever episode and casting.

I loved how the villain was literally a crazed fanboy. I believe Bruce Timm voiced him.

Which episode was this again? I've seen them all but it's been several years.

It's never too late

My all-time favorite BTAS episode is Perchance to Dream. It's just wonderful. I found out later that it's Kevin Conroy's favorite episode too.

My only problem with it is that it's hard to recommend to people because it's essential they watch another episode first but by telling them which episode it gives away the surprise villain.

I think what that user meant was we shouldn't hold it against people for failing to reach that height, not that they shouldn't try. they absolutely should try. But we can't expect realistically for everything to be that good.

I love this episode. I miss when Batman could be nice to people and believe in them.

>I don't believe you'd give up on anyone, Father.

>>Why do modern shows treat kids like they must be idiots?

Because the writers became idiots

Troy Baker also has said this is his favourite too.

This episode is the most underrated episode of the series. No one ever brings it up. Good thread OP

>Because the writers became idiots
>implying most of them weren't always idiots

What episode was that?

I wish cartoons still had this sort of continuity.

>And yes it IS why YJ got cancelled, Greg Weisman himself said they didn't have enough kids watching, so no one was buying the toys

Only half-right. The ratings were fine and even increased. The premiere alone had the highest ratings of 2010. The lack of toys was what directly killed the show.

>My only problem with it is that it's hard to recommend to people because it's essential they watch another episode first but by telling them which episode it gives away the surprise villain.

Is it though? You could watch it before Mad as Hatter, with MaH right after as a sort 'origin episode'

The fight between Batman and Ra's al Ghul in Demon's Quest was pretty memorable to me. I also liked Harlequinade. But the one episode that really sticks out in my mind is Over the Edge even if the ending was inevitable for an ongoing kid's series. I remember seeing it on TV one afternoon and wondering "holy shit is this really happening?"

Don't forget the episode where Batman actually tries to help save The Ventriloquist. He helps him stand-up to "Scarface" and even helps him rehabilitate and get a job afterwards.

One of the really interesting things about the DCAU is that it wasn't afraid to have The Joker fail. Sometimes he'd escape from Arkham, and go back in without killing anyone. Most comic book writers for the past 30 years seem to think it's poor taste to not have him murder at least a handful of people in each appearance.

I love the episode where Riddler traps Batman and Robin in his maze. Really fun episode.

Also in The Batman and Brave and the Bold, to the point of driving him to tears in both times.

I r

Young Justice was the closest thing we had to getting that magic back, and in a cruel twist of fight Teen Titans Go is the only thing left.
It's really disheartening.

The Joker was a ruthless murder in his first appearance which is literally Batman #1, Eddy...

Why can't live action Batman ever capture the feel of this show?

They're always either too dark or too bland. BTAS gets it just right.

Its never too late should be required viewing for anyone attempting a new Batman show/movie imo. If we could get live action stuff with feels like this it'd be awesome.

What's this episode called?

Its Never Too Late

whats never too late? I want to know the episode name

My favorite's got to be I Am The Night.

I know it goes against your jaded and cynical world view, but kids these days are reading and studying MORE than they were even a decade ago.

>its never too late to shitpost

Thanks, missed that post.

The sympathetic portral of many of the villains also made Batman's no kill rule actually make sense

Just because it's your favorite Batman doesn't mean it's the best Batman. Dark Batman is perfectly fine too.

BTAS is dark though, its just not CRAWLING IN MY SKINNNNNNN tier

This. Compare BTAS to STAS and they are, unironically, like night and day.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchance_to_Dream_(Batman:_The_Animated_Series)

Although Heart of Ice is my favorite, I'll never forget His Silicon Soul.

This is a personal favorite of mine.

STAS.

dailymotion.com/video/x1qp3rk_the-late-mr-kent-superman-s2-e35_shortfilms

>I know Spiderman has never really been known for getting "deep" but still.
Go read Kravens Last Hunt or something.

>Why aren't modern superhero shows like this?
because it's boring, dude
the only reason it seems so deep and meaningful is because there's no OTHER kind of show that would touch it. but that doesn't make it an appropriate area for superhero stories. it's boring. superhero stories are about violence and combat. as a kid this kinda thing bored me and my sister to tears. NOW i can appreciate it for the depth it has, but.. i don't want it in my batman. i want it in my nearly-everything-else

Baby-Doll was criminally underrated. Did Batman book her or did he let her go?

>none of us are entitled to the existence of stuff we like
everyone else seems to be

nobody was buying the toys because they were shit.. this is the problem. nobody is putting the blame on toy companies.
but this dumb modern way ISNT making money

Am I the only one that preferred Beyond to BTAS?

Pretty much this. Besides, it's not like other cartoons cant get here. Just look at spectacular spiderman and the batman. They're not idiotic shows. And not all shows are idiotic. You gotta search for the good shit my guy.

My fave episode are Joker fish The man who killed Batman Robin's reckoning,Jokers favor, harley & ivy,may more

YJ got cancelled because it was shit.

Because Americans don't like anything other than dumb fart comedies these days.

This was a quasi-retelling of Angels With Dirty Faces.

>Cape and Cowl Conspiracy
>Now, what will you do with the cape and cowl?
>I'm going to wear it!

Best twist ever.

>I don't want it in my batman

Get out

>It's not possible. How did he survive that car bomb? How?
>...
>He's Superman!!

CLICK

Amazing episode with an amazing ending.

Listening to them now. Dini cries over the Heart of Ice script, dude is so into his work it's great.

What kind of prison uses a gas chamber

>Forgetting that this is a reference to 60's Bats

Plenty. Five states allow death penalty by gas, Eight allow death by electrocution. Three allow death by firing squad. Two allow death by hanging.

All are available as alternatives to lethal injection if the inmate a) has the option and b) chooses the alternative.

I would imagine it's much easier to show Superman saving someone from a gas chamber than a lethal execution or the electric chair.

>Young Justice
flopped because it was a shitty, terribly written dreck that literally went out of it's way to annoy viewers

> but kids these days are reading and studying MORE than they were even a decade ago.

yeah cos the cartoons are poop

Yeah, this. Every time someone mourns Young Justice I wonder if we watched the same cartoon. That or I just watched the wrong episodes.

I think a big part of why BTAS got to flourish where it did was because of the time it was released. Noir went through a huge revival in the 90s there was a big neo-noir boom that got everyone's appetites prepared for more classical crime storytelling. Then you had TV taking its first big steps into more serialised, mature storytelling.

We're never going to get something like BTAS again because crime fiction has fundamentally changed. A lot of the romanticised nostalgia has been stripped out just by practical reality. It's less noir and more stuff like Breaking Bad and Sicario, even the mainstream entertainment knows that you can't really sell the "sexy" aspects of organised crime like you used to.

Feat of Clay, preferably part 2 of course.
In fact me buying Detective Comics post-Rebirth is solely due to Clayface being in there, simply because of that episode and the score that goes with it.

watched pretty much every episode mentioned here, not bad. Favorite so far was Joker's Favor

I'd feel angry about all the other shows that copied the idea, but that it gives West almost regular work and exposer after being fucked over makes it alright.

Justice League, Superman, Batman, these series were so mature and fantastic.

Rewatching them. Shame they were never all made fully available on DVD in my country but they are on Prime.

I know it's mainly known for poking fun at silver age comics, but Brave and the Bold had a few serious business episodes.

The Christmas episode with Red Tornado probably has the saddest version of Bruce's parents' deaths ever, even if it doesn't quite line up with the show's own canon.

>that season one episode of Ultimate Spider-Man where Nightmare tries to torment Peter with the ghost of his Uncle Ben
>Tfw it backfires because Peter knows that Ben would be proud of him and we get a touching moment where they reunite
OP confirmed faggot