What is the oldest movie you have watched and actually, genuinely enjoyed?

What is the oldest movie you have watched and actually, genuinely enjoyed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunted_Castle_(1896_film)
youtube.com/watch?v=44B07oaEr6g
youtube.com/watch?v=EJjj8UeXXLk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What a stupid fucking thing to say.

Can't get much older than this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunted_Castle_(1896_film)

Also, if 1977 is as far back as you can go, you are a total pleb.

metropolis

The 7 Samurai were a lot of fun

I doubt you've heard of it....
it's called.. 7 angry men... and it's the best film ever made....

Frankenstein (1910) is silent era kino. It's on youtube if anyone wants to check it out

is that a prequel to 2 and a half men

12 pissed off blokes

that would be high noon

le underrated gem

Probably Arsenic & Old Lace.

Everybody that writes a serious reply to this should be perma banned from Sup Forums for not having a real appreciation for film.

Probably Casablanca

where do you think you are

LEWD SKYWALKER

If you don't like this this or Nosferatu you have no business posting on Sup Forums.

Citizen Kane.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

M

Fantomas: In the Shadow of the Guillotine. (1913)
The Golem (1915)

Incidentally Fantomas is one of my favourite bands, Der Golem is one of my favourite songs of theirs.
What a whacky coincidence.

Probably Nosferatu

to be or not to be

the dark knight

>if you don't like german expressionism you have no business posting on Sup Forums
dr caligari and nosferatu are straight trash, Lang came through with the only movie that made the movement worthwhile (metropolis) but otherwise it was lame as shit theatre garbage that had no place in cinema

This, also trip to the moon.

Nosferatu has decidedly /modern/ pacing and cutting between narrative spaces, all going on at once. Early filmmakers and theorists were skeptical that audiences would be able to understand a simultanaety of events so shown and depicted, all cut-cut-cut from one place to the next.

you are not helping this illiterate kids,not recomending them good old films either.
smartass

Nosferatu (1922)

>one of the first artistic movements dominated by cinema
>theater garbage

I'd excuse your ignorance but it wasn't even the first avant garde film movement in Germany. It was effectively the same as what the futurists were doing in Italy a decade prior only without the social consciousness. Look up the works of cinéma pur and you'll realise why german expressionism wasn't beneficial to film as an artistic medium. Nosferatu and Caligari were no better than the horror films being produced in America at the same time but had xD so randum backgrounds.

>but had xD so randum backgrounds.
I'm going to excuse your ignorance.

Watched it for the first time in years last night - love the movie, but some of the music is grating.

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

This was pretty interesting
Love Audrey Hepburn

>literally being a pleb

No but in all earnestness, all that was accomplished in the set and costume design in german expressionism had already been showcased in futurist cinema a decade prior in such a way that actually served a narrative function. The only reason the legacy of expressionism still remains is because many expressionist directors emigrated to the States during the two wars and massively influenced the films produced there during the 1930s-50s. It is just another example of Hollywood-centrism in film critique. This is perfectly exemplified in our own discussion because the only films we've mentioned also happened to be directed by people who would also work in Hollywood in the 1930s (Lang, Weine, Murnau). I'm being hyperbolic by saying the whole movement is trash but the cultural relevance and quality of the films in german expressionism has been massively inflated to further perpetuate this notion of Hollywood as the greatest producers of films.

Maltese Falcon

>but the cultural relevance and quality of the films in german expressionism has been massively inflated to further perpetuate this notion of Hollywood as the greatest producers of films.
Or you know, because it was a highly creative period of the Weimar republic not just in cinema but in other arts as well.

You could think that or, as I've said, you could acknowledge it was derivative of the futurists and overshadowed by other more compelling avant-garde movements occurring in France and Germany itself during the same period. You do you family, there's no point trying to reason when you ignore all the rationale in my post and just skip straight to the conclusion

afaik the futurists weren't interested in exaggerated emotional responses which is what expressionism is all about

Sallie Gardner at a Gallop (1878), Muybridge was a god, pic related my copy of one of his creepy ass books

incredible shot, it makes you appreciate where critics were coming when they rejected sound films during this period, a lot of the most impressive aspects of cinema came as a direct result of the limitation of silent cinema.

Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)

Ironically, also had Peter Cushing in it. Have seen older films but being born in the 20th century really did make it hard to enjoy them

On the contrary, futurism came about as a result of the sudden shift towards industrialisation and modernisation in Italy from 1880-1910. The intention of the photography and films was to reflect the public consciousness of the world rapidly moving beyond them and the perception of our consciousness becoming one with technology. Very interesting shit, these are themes explored in the stories of the few futurist films that were made, unfortunately very few remain (IIRC only one). To an extent I agree with you that, as the name suggests, the expressionist movement utilised set and costume design to express emotion, but arguably both movements used set and costume design as an extension of the characters' consciousness, only futurism came first.

PURE KINO

north by northwest, i guess

not sure 2bh

dank kino senpai

Rescued by Rover - 1905

The General? (Or does it not count if half of my enjoyment was derived from the ragtime background music?)

Amazing how dynamic and snappy it feels. Very marathonable

Casablanca

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. One of my all time favorite movies.

this 20 seconds webm is better than anything I've seen this year. Movies are fucking dead.

Don't you have more kids to kill, Landis?

I've seen older, but this is the earliest one I can think of where there weren't at least some parts that felt like a chore to watch.

You gotta go deeper

There's some Chaplin and Eisenstein I appreciated that came before this, but this is probably the earliest film that I really, vibrantly enjoyed.

Nosferatu

Sad, innit?

Interesting and enjoyable posts user

this

r*dditors gtfo

Chaplin movies.They are simple and they are fun, and they will never get old.

This and Nosferatu are objectively the best two answers. It's hard for me to enjoy anything else before them...maybe some Buster Keaton shorts.

>Nosferatu
>not Vampyr

Seriously, there are much better forums for idiots like yourself...

...and you wouldn't have to deal with us plebs.

Whoa there kiddos, I think you moseyed into the wrong thread. Now do you know the way out or do you need my boot to move you in the right direction?

If you can't name at least 3 1930's films that you enjoy then you shouldn't post here. I mean it. Even millions of little kids today have watched Snow White and Wizard of Oz. This shouldn't be difficult unless you absolutely have no brain whatsoever.

This pretty much. Good shit still.

Mildred Pierce

Things To Come is one of the best, scariest movies I've ever seen. 1936. If you're not a big fan of Globalism, give it a watch ASAP.

This.

I've seen an older movie - the 1915 Birth of a Nation - but it's tedious as fuck.

Scorsese ripped this off in The Aviator.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I saw Metropolis (1927) but I didn't enjoy it.

Citizen Kane is in the queue. Hopefully I'll enjoy that.

I really liked the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "The Manchurian Candidate."

go away reddit

>The Golem
>le im so cultured
Fuck off thats a lost film.

I miss university my dude, I need some essays to write rather than waste my time here

partially lost, the same way Metropolis is "partially lost", someone can still enjoy a movie that isn't complete

The Die Nibelungen movies came out in 1924 and i love the fuck out of both of them.

>The Die

>The Die
I am referring to THE movie not implying THE is in the title you absolute retard

Wreckit Ralph

DIE means THE, you dumb ameritard.

Animal Crackers by the Marx Brothers, or M by Fritz Lang

Jaws? no that 1950s War of the Worlds

>william shart

City Lights

>KING BAGGOT

"That's me, you're probably wondering how a kid from Brooklyn wound up here."

what they said makes sense, in english it would read
>The The Nibelungs movies
or in other words
>The two movies of The Nibelungs movie series
get some reading comprehension pleb

holy shit

>in english it would read
>>The The Nibelungs movies
That would sound retarded, you monolingual cuck. Do you say "The The Pirates of the Caribbean flick series"? Thought so. Don't fucking reply to me again.

I think the one where Jack Nicholson strangles a nurse, I remember liking the Indian guy crushing everyone in basketball just for being tall.

Man, Jack Nicholson has been old/getting older my entire life.

I was originally going to say Seven Samurai, but then I remembered pic related which is pretty excellent and came out 3 years earlier.

>starring William Shart
>directed by King Baggot
>screenplay by The Gardener

An Indian, faggot and Mexican walk into a movie studio...

>a United Cucks Picture

holy shit sound more BTFO, I'm sorry English isn't your first language, Juan.

Apprends à répondre correctement aux gens, pauvre con.

Vampyre or Grand Hotel

youtube.com/watch?v=44B07oaEr6g

youtube.com/watch?v=EJjj8UeXXLk