Is anyone else bothered when people use "cartoons" and "animation" interchangeably?

Is anyone else bothered when people use "cartoons" and "animation" interchangeably?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon
youtube.com/watch?v=dihJ1w48Jh0
youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_41tM6H2Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.

Autists.

Not if they're talking about a fucking cartoon.

Why would I be? Why are you? I guess I could see it as condescending if you called an animated movie with darker tones a cartoon, but I don't really think twice about it.

No, that's fucking retarded.

Why does it bug you so much?

The word "cartoon" implies a comedic or lighthearted tone, which doesn't really fit when talking about a serious animated work.

No, animation and cartoons are on the same level of quality at this point, however, it bothers me when people call a Zoetrope a cartoon.

They are literally the same thing.

Autist

bait

The funny thing is that he'd be right if we were in the 19th century.
Nowadays it also means animation, the term has evolved since then.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon
>A cartoon is a form of two-dimensional illustrated visual art. While the specific definition has changed over time, modern usage refers to a typically non-realistic or semi-realistic drawing or painting intended for satire, caricature, or humor, or to the artistic style of such works. An artist who creates cartoons is called a cartoonist.[1]
>The concept originated in the Middle Ages and first described a preparatory drawing for a piece of art, such as a painting, fresco, tapestry, or stained glass window. In the 19th century, it came to refer to humorous illustrations in magazines and newspapers, and after the early 20th century, it referred to comic strips and animated films.[2]

get out john k

well cartoons fall under animation.. well, i guess you can have just comicstrip cartoons.
but yeah i feel like there's a strong difference, just as there's a difference between 'muppets' and 'creature shop creatures'.. it's not about 'realism' it's about whether the stylization is meant to be believed as a real living entity or not.. whether or not your things look like they actually breathe and bleed

Only when it's people demanding their movies/shows be taken seriously.

I love cartoons. I don't need to justify it by insisting people refer to it only as "animation".

You really want to see someone blow a gasket, call anime 'cartoons'.
You'll get a guaranteed 'sperg 'splosion

Well sure if-You're legit retarded OP. I thought you meant in terms of cartoon as in the show as a whole and animation in terms of the specific actual frames and animation work. That's the only logical way to use the terms.

You can use "cartoon" to exclude stop-motion animation and other techniques. But not for this reason.

If you look at how "cartoon" is used in the Wikipedia articles for Disney, Ghibli, American animation and anime (and also comics and manga), you'll see very pronounced differences. These differences would not exist if cartoon and animation truly were just synonymous. Nor would this thread exist.

Cartoons are stuff like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=dihJ1w48Jh0
youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_41tM6H2Y

I use animation specifically to denote a difference between stop motion or alternate forms of animation but cartoon for pretty much everything else

Anime is cartoons OP.

See The way a lot of people absolutely insist that anime has to be called cartoons is just more proof that the word isn't a synonym for animation.

I'm way more triggered when people don't use "anime" interchangeably with those two.

This thread exists because uptight, autistic fanbois just can't accept that something they like is reduced to a common level by calling by a blanket name. They like to feel 'special', and by trying to differentiate between the more common 'cartoon' or 'animation' it gives them a perceived leg-up over the unwashed masses.

"That's not 'cartoons', it's Anime! Cartoons are rubbish for the commoners!" which is bullshit. It's all the same damn thing. But the fanbois won't have that false air of superiority if the playing filed is leveled.

Where would the motivation for that thinking come from if cartoon and animation are exactly the same thing? How often do you see people argue about the difference between movie and film?

Anime is called anime because it's extremely distinct from all other animation, especially cartoons, and not because there's some prestige in using a different term. You don't see anyone object to calling anime Japanese animation.

So do you like Sonic and repetitive actions?

>Where would the motivation for that thinking come from if cartoon and animation are exactly the same thing?
From any message board/forum that deals with the subject.
From witnessing people at cons and shows and club meetings.
From being a fan of the stuff for probably longer than you've been alive.
There's ALWAYS a tiny group of fans who do and act exactly as I've described.
Most of us just don't give a shit/ We like our 'toons, no matter if they're serious, funny, or Japanese, and we certainly don't get apoplectic if somebody uses cartoon to describe what we watch.

>How often do you see people argue about the difference between movie and film?
Been to Sup Forums lately?

And desu, there's no difference in those two terms either.

>Anime is called anime because it's extremely distinct from all other animation, especially cartoons

Anime is called anime because that's the word used by the Japanese for animation. ALL FORMS of animation. It's the fanbois who've tried to elevate it above the common rabble.

>and not because there's some prestige in using a different term.
There's a huge PERCEIVED prestige in calling Japanese animation "anime". Look at how argumentative you're getting just because of what I posted. You feel threatened because somebody's put it on the same level as lowly cartoons.

>You don't see anyone object to calling anime Japanese animation.
Oh yeah?
Go to an anime board, or better yet a con and start using that term, and watch the wierdos and weeaboos start correcting you. Again it's they who want to make it into something more than it is. Your average everyday fan wouldn't blink an eye.

>From any message board/forum that deals with the subject.
>etc.
Ok, and where did those come from? If cartoon and animation is understood by everyone to mean exactly the same thing, why would some people start claiming they're different things? And for that matter, how would you explain the Wikipedia articles I mentioned?

>Been to Sup Forums lately?
Yes, and I've seen it happen maybe a few times. And there wasn't any big argument.

>Anime is called anime because that's the word used by the Japanese for animation.
If anime was no different from Western animation, it's unlikely people would call it that. Before anime came into use, Japanimation was the term.

>It's the fanbois who've tried to elevate it above the common rabble.
Anime is, again, highly distinct from other forms of animation.

>You feel threatened because somebody's put it on the same level as lowly cartoons.
Why would I feel threatened? Isn't cartoon just a synonym for animation? Well of course it isn't, and even you unwittingly admit that. "Cartoon" has highly negative connotations and that's exactly why so many people go out of their way to call anime cartoons and children's cartoons. They know what it means. They know it's an insult. Often they'll pretend otherwise, but after a while they'll say something like "You just don't want to admit you watch cartoons!"

But even if there was no negative stigma attached to "cartoon," cartoons and anime would still be two different things.

>Oh yeah?
Yeah. I've never seen it happen.

It only triggers me when I hear shit like "That is really well animated" when referring to a still image