So, now that the dust has settled, which one was the better monsterflick?

So, now that the dust has settled, which one was the better monsterflick?

I would have to give it to Godzilla. Kong kinda just fell flat for me. John C. Reilly and the visuals were amazing tho

Kong by a mile.
Better edited and paced, visually more creative and you get an actual feeling for Kong as a character, instead of a big visual effect.

Godzilla had glimpses of brilliance, but utter lifelessness of the storytelling and especially Aaron Taylor Johnson as the lead brought the whole movie down several pegs.
I wonder when Hollywood will catch on that Garath Edwards is just Michael Bay without the toilet humor.

Did you atleast find the MUTOs more interesting than the Skull Crawlers?

Both have great cinematography.

King Kong was more fun imo

Both movies are great outside of their "main character". Kick-Ass is boring, and Cranston was better and more connected with the story. He should have lived and it been about him and his son who hates him bonding over their travels. Then, at the end, instead of Kick-Ass riding on the boat with the nuke and being saved, Cranston rides on the boat with the nuke and dies, mirroring his wife.

Reilly, Goodman and Jackson are the strongest characters and they kill Goodman way too soon. Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson are basically boring non-characters like Kick-Ass.

kong was much better

Kong was much better. Atleast it was entertaining and didn't put me to sleep like fucking Godzilla did.

Kong, Godzilla took itself far too seriously for a movie where Godzilla kills less people than in the kid friendliest of the Showa era movies.

Somewhat, yes.
I wasn't a fan of their design. But that might have had to do with the fact that they didn't seem to match well with Godzilla's own, which I really loved.
Other than that they seemed more dangerous and like there was an actual intelligence behind their actions.
The skull crawlers were disposable goons. But the other monsters on the island were great. I think the bamboo spider thing is probably creepier than the MUTOs, even if it ultimately wasn't that big of a threat..

Godzilla is a hero, not a monster faggot

Both movies suffer from awful main chracters
Godzilla had Bryan Cranston but then he got killed off and we were stuck with soldierboy and his family drama.
King Kong was better overall in terms of chracters but Loki and Tits MgGee might as well not be there because of how unnecessary they were. Samuel L Jackson was good as a villain and even the rest of the soldiers were entertaining to watch. Hated how Goodman got killed halfway while the nignog and the chink girl. John C. Reily was alright though

In my opinion I'd say that Kong is the better monster flick because how much monster action it has

*while the nignog and the chink girl survived

Skull Island was way better. And Shin Godzilla was better than Edwards' Godzilla. Cranston's acting is fantastic, but then he was no longer relevant in the 2nd half, which would have been fine if there's actually plenty of kaiju action to go with. But there wasn't. Skull Island didn't have much in the way of characterization, but the movie made it up by not shying away from throwing all the delicious kaiju moments at you.

I expected the chink to die at some point, but nope. It's 2017. What the fuck was I thinking?

>*while the nignog and the chink girl survived

They were still more memorable than Tom and Larson.

godzilla is better

kong had a lot of lame character deaths and a lot of lame characters that survived

>tfw this was the last good Godzilla flick

prove me wrong

Nah my dear Sup Forums poster. Kong had way better action and its characters were simple but more effective in telling a story. I applaud anyone that finishes Godzilla and isn't half sleeping. Hell maybe it's the director trademark. I felt the same sense of sleep when I watched Rogue One.

Atleast you didn't post the Anno "look at these office people doing bureaucry for two hours" film.

>Nah my dear Sup Forums poster.

hah

I'm not saying they're both good though; Godzilla was first and almost put me to sleep but suddenly got watcheable during the last quarter. Kong meanwhile blew its load during the chopper scene and stayed boring until the credits rolled. Also all of the monsters were designed like ass.

Not really. The nignog didn't really do anything noteworthy other than being Goodman's aide and the chink girl is only there for the chinese audience. Blonde Animal Mother and Alpa Chino were far more memorable than the two main chracters and it sucked how they wasted blonde Animal Mother's sacrifice as a joke while Bree was the saviour of Kong.

>while Bree was the saviour of Kong.

The movie would work 100% without her, by the fact nobody even remembers her in the movie outside of her epic" no we can call them skullcrawlers, nobody said anything about it being weird o_o" line

The tone of the movie should reflect that then.

Yeah I agree but I'm talking about when she saved Kong from the gigaSkullcrawler with the flare. I feel like the oonly reason they included her and Loki was to have some self-inserts for the audience

Kong. full view of monsters right from the start

>Loki was to have some self-inserts for the audience
I had no idea you were a badass tracker from the s.a.s

Kong was everything godzilla should have been
even pacific ring was a better godzilla film than godzilla

godzilla was an army movie about a boring as fuck protagonist

You have excellent taste.

Kang Kong. Kong had more screen time but chapman dying and having that plot line shoved under the rug to show packard's insanity take hold was just unnecessary. would have been better if they found chapman and he gets eaten right away.

Also I don't get how some people complain that there was too much kong. wtf

>main chracter is badass ex-SAS mercenary
>not male insert fantasy
Just like how Larson is the stronk independent female journalist who don't need others to tell her what to do

to be make it clearer, he was a self-insert because he had no proper characterisation

Best Godzilla movies are when he's the most destructive and violent. The symbol of nuclear terror isn't suppose to be a hero, faggot.

Kong was more fun but it also is the last film I saw where the issue of absolutely no character development was so prevalent.

Every character that is introduced, just remains that character throughout the movie and the only purpose they serve is to look shocked.

Or pointlessly die in Shea Whigham's case.

it's a rollercoaster movie meant to show off huge monsters fighting each other, the human element is just there to ease the audience in
The original king kong was a completely different movie, this one is more similar to the old toho movies which also had no character development or character arcs, I don't get this thing that every movie needs to be written the same exact way to be good, the 2014 godzilla had a lot more focus on the human characters and it was boring as shit

Honestly, Kong was better it didn't take itself seriously like Godzilla. I liked how the tone was campy.

Shots like this made the film great. That and the slow mo and the FPS style shots looked great.

I liked the sexual dimorphism and I liked how they cuddled over the bomb. They felt like real creatures even though I wasn't really a fan of how robotic their heads looked.

Still, they weren't awful and whenever they were on screen I was entertained.

honestly, i hated that and the soundtrack, and the anticlimacticness of it all. and the fights, and the people, and the fact that kong doesnt attack them at the very end just pounds his chest

>there are people on this board who didn't like Shin Godzilla
I genuinely don't get it. If you can't at least appreciate the superb editing you're probably mentally stunted. I felt so lucky to be able to see it twice in theaters.

I like Godzilla better as a monster, but Kong was a much better movie.

I haven't seen Kong yet but I just want to say that Godzilla 2014 was a genuinely enjoyable movie. I was very pleasantly surprised to see an American-made Godzilla that was actually good, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

they are baiters
I feel so bad for not watching it in cinema

I liked them both.