KILLING JOKE MOVIE - ORIGINAL COLORING

youtube.com/watch?v=1_r-qsxGiKY

Looks fucking great, I can even forget about the bad animation quality after seeing this.
Hopefully WB will release an original coloring edition that look like this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uFEHTAnsmGU
youtube.com/watch?v=pi5qoxxQpMY
youtu.be/j7EApky3bUY?t=11s
youtube.com/watch?v=9qOdggdLPLM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Original Coloring x Recolor comparison
youtube.com/watch?v=uFEHTAnsmGU

Still shit animation but the mood improves and it gives it more personality.

Yeah, animation still looks bad because it was literally redrawn.

>tfw we'll never have the Killing Joke animated like this

youtube.com/watch?v=pi5qoxxQpMY

>can't have a well-animated TKJ
>can't have the original coloring

>mfw

Why did they do such drastic recoloring? Who thought it was a good idea to make the art less interesting?

the artist himself, iirc

>Bolland was unhappy about its final color treatment by John Higgins and Moore (who generally likes bigger more far reaching ideas) felt a smaller story between the iconic Gotham characters didn’t lead to anywhere interesting. No big ideas. Interesting to see a book loved by so many but looked down upon by its creators. Moore has pretty much disowned it and Bolland got to recolor it the way he originally intended in a 2008 deluxe edition re-release.

Moore disowned it because it wasn't intended to be canon. So the ambiguity of Batman choking Joker at the end or letting him go was the whole point. That end scene is what makes the whole thing iconic.

A lot of the time it is the artist themselves

See Also: Flex Mentallo

Also a lot of the time the claim is the technology of the time did not allow them to do what they wanted.

>the technology of the time did not allow them to do what they wanted.
Yeah, right

Do not dismiss that claim so easily comics coloring and printing has made huge strides

This looks amazing even with the shitty animation, holy crap

morrison did choose the colorist for flex mentallo until the reprint and shit.

Hey, just like Watchmen!

>Joker runs away flailing his arms like a roadside tubeman

Amazing, isn't it?

Morrison and Quitely wanted Flex Mentallo recolored the way they wanted because originally they never even met the person who colored it, so it was totally out of their hands. The recolor is also way better.

>The recolor is also way better.

I think it varies. I do certainly think it's a better recolor than the Miracleman, Killing Joke, or that one terrible recolor of The Incal. But there were some pages I liked more in the original.

This is why I tracked down the DC Alan Moore stories collection, so I could own TKJ with the original colors.

Well, that, and it had other awesome stuff like Superman being saved by Swamp Thing and Clayface III thinking a mannequin was cheating on him with Batman.

Sure, it's not great because it was redrawn
But it's looks vastly better than what we're getting

>Times we acted like the Joker.
>Be a cashier.
>Family with annoying as fuck kid comes.
>devilpepe.jpg
>They ask for the bill.
>Force them to pay for a lot of shit.
>They didn't even buy the shit i put there.
>runs away flailing his arms like a madman

Holy shit I left a comment on that video 6 years ago.

Should have just used that powerful WEST MONEY and brought old madhouse back together to animate it

youtu.be/j7EApky3bUY?t=11s

Pacha'd like a motherfucker.

>Hopefully WB will release an original coloring edition that look like this.

Why? To please a couple of plebs who can't enjoy the superior new coloring? Fuck off, kid.

>madhouse
Good taste right there.
But I would only accept it if it was animated like Bolland's artstyle or close, as shown in Last thing I'd like to see is Anime Batman or Phil Bourassa artstyle again.

Will this group do the full movie too?

Takeshi Koike can manage it, just gather his gang back together for a feature length production. Except he'll take 7 years to make it then get fired after it bombs in theaters. Like all of his stuff does.

>An experiment in reimagining the "Batman: The Killing Joke" trailer with an aesthetic more closely resembling the Graphic Novel by Alan Moore, Brian Bolland and John Higgins.
>Made for educational purposes and to train my own drawing/animating.
Theory testing more than a project.

>superior new coloring
>mfw
You like that grey lifeless plastic looking crap?
Also, I bet a lot of people would buy it.

I can see they doing it, maybe like that group of Star Wars fans that remastered the VHS versions of the original trilogy.

the animation is SO FUCKING BAD OH MY GOD

>grey lifeless looking crap?

Oh please, the actual movie doesn't look that bad.

>fan made trailer is more faithful to the source material AND has better animation

I like how in some scenes the background is animated or at least it doesn’t remain static.

In all honesty, the left looks like a fucking Pride Parade float from space. Not that the headless Colossus coloring does much better.

Yeah, it's fucking sad.

Looks like shit desu senpai

You know, I was introduced to The Killing Joke with the recolored version and I don't understand why anyone would prefer the original coloring. It's a grim story and the original colours are fucking garish.

Current Madhouse is as good.

its like a bad acid trip

It's surrealist as fuck. It gives it a psychodelic feeling that the recoloring doesn't have. The recoloring looks like any other Batman story.

But TKJ is not a surreal story; TKJ is very much just "like any other Batman story". Bad guy does thing, Batman stops bad guy.

A surreal Batman story is something like Serious House on Serious Earth.

I'll never understand the purpose of the recolor.

The original TKJ used colors for emphasis of certain elements, and was much better for it, instead of the modern day philosophy of "we have to make it look real", and thus making it look boring, because I already have reality in front of me.
For instance, in the original, Gordon and his cage are in the background, all red so that Batman and the Joker are able to stand out more with their differing color scheme. But the garish red also has the added effect of, paradoxically, drawing attention to itself as much as it diverts it to the others, because of the natural psychological association with blood and danger.
The colors are used to emphasize atmosphere, and play with the reader's eye, give him information that can't be given with words or lineart alone.

In the recolor, it's all "realistic" because Bolland doesn't understand the use of colors to impact mood. Gordon stands out the most, while Joker and Batman barely do until panel 4, and that's only because Batman's light grey is contrasted with the dark blue above. It just looks drab and gray, when it's supposed to be a Joker story and a common association with the Joker is not "washed out" or "subdued".

>But TKJ is not a surreal story
When Joker throws Gordon through the roller coaster of visual confusion and audible assault it is very much supposed to be surreal.

A carnival, a place of happiness becomes a place of horrors. These freaks are all around harassing him, he's just recovered from being violently knocked unconscious and most likely has a concussion. Nothing makes sense and he doesn't know where he is, what happened to Barbara or why Joker is doing all this.

It's not just a bad thing, it is literally wound up by Joker to be Gordon's bad day. It requires the same delirium Joker (believes he) experienced when suddenly he was wearing a helmet that turned everything red while running from a hulking shadow of a man in a fearsome bat costume down a walk way, fell into a vat of chemicals, ended up who knows where with everything burning and the knowledge he'd been setup because he was trying to provide for his wife and unborn child who most likely were now dead but he honestly can't even remember what happened or if that happened.

He was trying to break Jim and that looming psychosis should be conveyed to the reader. I'm not surprised in the least it wasn't to you since you had the recolor.

Funny thing, I was working on a recoloring of the trailer too but I gave up. Really cool to see someone do it. It looks hundred times better than the shit we're getting.

The recoloring feels soulless.

>So the ambiguity of Batman choking Joker at the end blah blah blah
We're still doing this meme?
You know the source right?

Those were the days, weren't they, when the chinese animation slave-labor was blooming.

WHY THE FUCK ARE WB FULL ON PANTS ON HEAD RETARDED MANE, THIS SHIT COULD HAVE MADE MILLIONSSSSSSS

I think I know what kino is now.

>ORIGINAL HACK COLORING

>Batman tells the Joker to fuck off
>He does

Classic

that's Pop, you uncultured swine

>Conroy and Hamill will retire for good from these roles one day

I hope I die before it happens

It has a more psychedelic effect

It's okay, user.
John DiMaggio still can play the Joker.
And if you want something closer to Hamill's voice, then Baker can do the job.

youtube.com/watch?v=9qOdggdLPLM

>shit animation

(You)

>that lazy Flash bounce on the cape
Come on now.

pretty much this Moore was pissed as hell when Oracle happen

Its not a flash bounce, the trailer has a lot of slow motion applied to scenes.

Not really

Kill yourself

That's a fucking great collection.

>it's a grim story

Fuck you're dense.

the absolute madman

>that boob gap
wew

It's a good gag, equivalent of a prank call, he'd never see it coming.

It looks 1000x times better.

Holy fuck what a trainwreck this shit is going to be.

A FAN MOCKUP made by one guy can make the shit look better than the official fucking trailer. They should release this garbage and then start work on a re-color edition immediately.

This