Anyone understand this scene? I've seen the movie like a hundred times and still have no idea what it means

Anyone understand this scene? I've seen the movie like a hundred times and still have no idea what it means

STOP

MY

INVINCIBLE

SON

He didn't want his son to reveal his power levels. Like he said in the beginning in the film:you should have let the kids die

He didn't want to live in a world where Drumpf could become president

The problem I have with this is his father is treated as a point of inspiration for him. When really because of his father's fear Superman lives a pretty shitty life while still not doing what his father said. It's a fractured movie that doesn't know what it's doing.

This is a story Clark tells Lois. The real way his father died might have been more brutal, possibly Joseph died in Clarks's hands, thus filling him with guilt and suppressed memories.

>dad wants son to hide his power because people will seek to abuse it or worship it thus ruining clark's chance at a normal life.
>gets blown away in tornado.

Is Man of Steel the original capekino?

dont die doggo

thats because he never makes a choice for himself and there is never a true turning point for the character

I really wish they cut this scene out of the movie. I was laughing my ass off the first time I saw it. Would have improved the movie tenfold even from that.

he could have chosen to remain hidden on earth.

zod announced to everyone that they were looking for him. what would be the point of continuing to hide?

>tornado blew his dad up to mount everest
wtf snyder

how would people even find him?
Literally no one except lois knew who superman was.

Clark realised that the world needed superman and came out of hiding.

>mt everest
>nepalis speak spanish.

Um, no? He originally surrendered to Zod but THEN said "no thanks" when he was told all humans will have to die to rebuild Krypton.

>how would people even find him?
>Clark realised that the world needed superman and came out of hiding.

no one would be alive to find him, which is why it is a completely trivial choice

because zod threatened humanity.

Was Clark Ready for Humanity? Was he really ready if things went bad or if they went too good and they began to worship him, how would that affect him? Jonathan had a son whose powers rivaled that of Godzilla. Surely that scared the living hell out of him. Clark could become too cocky or love being worshiped. What if humanity turned on him? They couldn't hurt him but imagine if they harmed his mother and father?

wtf superman is mexican???

Yeah, that's what I said.

You can't save everyone.

so, what is the payoff? when does this message surface again in the movie?

and for that matter, when was this a conflict beforehand?

He said to Clark. "Come out on your own terms." In other words he's telling Clark to be good and ready before he reveals himself. He then says, "Whatever man you're going to be Clark, a Good man or a Bad man just be sure you're ready." Clark had to be ready for what it meant to be a hero. What if things went south? What if he's demonized? Is he prepared for the repercussions of this choice? His father felt the world was ready for Superman and he was right, it wasn't. It took the appearance of an alien threat for the world to be ready.

he didnt come out on his own terms at all.

He was a man by this point, and had seen the world and had saved a great many people so he was not at all that spoiled 16 year old brat. This was 17 years later. He was a man now, and a man who had it within him to save as many as he could have.

Superman failed to rescue his father so the character in the DCEU will be undergoing a long journey of sorting himself out. Truly /ourfilm/.

Basically, it's him letting his son know that he didn't want him to risk stepping into the world as the Superman unless he himself believed himself ready to be. It's also a great illustration of how people can spend literal decades just trying to understand the wisdom of their parents, especially really wise parents. Even in his 30s. Clark still thought that it was all about the world not being ready for him, but that wasn't really it.

The world could never be ready for a Superman, but Jonathan could give Clark time to grow and mature enough to be ready for the tremendous burden of hope, fear, awe, and expectation the world would inevitably dump directly onto his shoulders the moment he stepped into the spotlight.

>Basically, it's him letting his son know that he didn't want him to risk stepping into the world as the Superman unless he himself believed himself ready to be.

wow, i see he really took that lesson to heart during his entire childhood of rescuing people

>entire childhood
>goes off the reservation once when he's thirteen and gets taken to task for it

So basically, you just hate the movie on principle and will take any opportunity to shit on it, no matter how much of a retard it makes you look like. Got it.

I see you will dickride bad storytellers because you don't know any better. Got it.

I got the story. Sorry you didn't. You shit on every Dune thread that ever pops up, too. or does this one just have a special place in your heart?

>y-you're just TOO STUPID to understand zach's secret genius cleverly disguised as horrible writing

oh god, user you caught me.

You seem pretty upset about it. If it's something you want to talk about, we're here for you. I'll even help break the ice,

When was it you first found out you were clinically retarded?

Hes right. Youre a dumbass.

wow what a strong argument.

you know what i like so much about MOS? you can put the scenes in the first half of the movie in any order you want and it doesn't change a single thing. truly the mark of a well crafted and genius narrative.

Yeah, except if you do that, you fuck the psychological development and the parent-child dynamic irrevocably. It's a continuum that starts with Martha's first scene with Clark and carries forward through all the flashbacks.

Again, sorry you can't see it. Not our fault.

list the scenes in order and describe the continuum please

>World's too big/Swim to me
Child views parent as perfect, idealized nurturer

>Bus scene/Maybe
Child views parent as a person, not an idealized authority figure, begins to question and doubt

>Tornado scene
Child rebels, rejects parents' authority

>Bully scene
Child begins to comprehend lessons of childhood

>Cape scene
Child realizes parents only ever wanted them to be their own person and to be happy with who they are.

The clue is actually in the fact that they're *not* chronological - they're various moments from his childhood that serve as milestones, not a chronological progression, but a psychological one.

I read your comments. Hate to be the bearer of bad news son, but youre really really dumb.

so when clark is rebelling against his parents in a point in time after he supposedly already has reflected on the lessons from his childhood and is already aware they want him to be his own person, he then rages at kevin costner? wow bravo

It was a message snyder thought was cool, not one that was logically sound. Everyone take a moment to pull from the locked pit of horrible things you wish you could unsee and take one quick glimpse at your memory of suckerpunch.

So you have all your recollections and moments of understanding chronologically as they occur in real-time? Really? This is your argument?

Are you done now?

so when am i to believe this progression is taking place?

It's not just his. It's ours, too. It's occurring over the course of his life. Clark starts off a little ahead of us, but by the end of the film, we're at the same place. We fully sync up around the time when he has his last conversation with his mother.

It's also important to note that he's not even *then* done fully "maturing," as it were. That aspect continues on through BvS and I suspect we'll see its culmination in JL.