What does Voltron do that other reboots of older properties fail to?

What can we learn from Voltron to make better and more successful reboots in the future?

Innovate but at the same time try to keep the source material's spirit. Recognizable but new.

Forcing people to follow a deadline fucks up the quality

this

For one, they seem keenly aware they're remaking a very flawed original. This makes it simpler to retool and expand the basic structure.

as far as i can tell, the only thing it did differently is 'be on netflix'

Maintained consistency.

>Maintained consistency.

Uh....isn't that redundant?

Reboot stuff that wasn't very good in the first place.

Reverse Superman.
The Bad Guy is actually fighting the giant robots by himself, which is a nice change of pace from the formula.

The PTSD character doesn't go emo on us.

The good guys need to work for their victories, having the best weapon in the universe doesn't guarantee a cakewalk with the enemies.

I don't get it, I thought it was pretty good

Baiting the fujos.

Nope maintaining consistent quality. Aka no repeating the Thundercats reboot blunder where the first ep was gold the took a nose dive into a writing rollercoaster

No fags.

Oh, that's easy

It was it's own show while being in tune with the original's spirit. Most reboots only go in one direction or the other

OP is saying that it was good and that most of the time reboots suck and is asking "how come Voltron worked"

It has good writing.

bump.

Care

more reverse traps
that must be the secret

Get that sweet Netflix $$$.

Well let's take a look at the previous entries of animation in the Voltron franchise, shall we:

>Voltron was a forced combination of Golion and Dairugger XV, two unrelated anime shows nobody watched in their homeland due to not offering anything unique. The only kind of interesting bits were chopped out in the dub for no real reason, leading to show where the bad guys just did evil things for the sake of being evil and the good guys never suffered any real loss. Not to mention a 20 episode extension that wasn't necessary and nobody watched.

>Third Dimension was a CGI show that was made before CGI show could look decent and looked worse than Beast Wars.

>Voltron Force is a joke. It was made in 2011 but the animation looks like it's from 1999 and the writing feels like it's from 1987. It promoted a toyline that did not exist and never even got a second season.

Are you really still puzzled?

The other Voltron shows didn't strive for anything. They didn't try to make any characters shine, and lazily made the Robeasts just big animals despite how colorful they were in the original series.

In this one, they really made an effort to show why each pilot is important, and give them very established but ranging personalities. We may have only two Robeasts so far, but both were great (especially the second one). The show goes for quality over quantity.

The villains could improve, though.

Dairugger did offer something, it had an impressive fifteen pilots. But that's not really enough of a gimmick.

>The good guys need to work for their victories, having the best weapon in the universe doesn't guarantee a cakewalk with the enemies.

This user is onto something. The trope might be very common in animu, but its not in american animations.

Is this show good?
From looking at screenshots, it looks like Korra (which isn't a good thing)

It's got Avatar-style animation but with likeable characters and legitimately competent villains.

The 3D fight scenes are actually okay

It's super Korra, to the point where Space Bolin's lion is earth element and Space Mako's lion is fire element

that more shows need delicious brown space elves

I wouldn't say that's an entirely true statement. You need to have deadlines when it comes to creating a product like this, otherwise you'll end up in a "cans without labels" scenario.

I would say that screwing over the creative team with decisions coming directly from the top is more of the problem. Making creative decisions based on this statistic or that focus group never ends well.

It's animated by the same studio.

Dairugger also had pretty cool starship designs for bad guys and tried to include space battles besides the titular robot duking it out with the enemy robots. Unfortunately, bitchslapping the mechabeast of the week still was anything that mattered for victory in 9 episodes out of 10.

Basically this.

Its also why the He-Man reboot was good and why the Thundercats one was decent-ish.

I like how Voltron isn't in every episode.

This. I really enjoyed how the robeasts were tangible threats and although they did fulfil the age old 'show up, present a problem, the heroes solve it, defeated' by only having two they felt much more significant rather than Monster of the Week fodder.

I also enjoyed how the empire forces used tactics like infiltration, traps, and the like rather than just throwing countless monsters at the team. I liked the episode where the general hacked the castle with his mind; demonstrating that every element of the empire was a significant threat. Even mooks and drones get their dues.

this.

also this, they wanted to make the show they wanted to see.

I read an interview where one of the writers was talking about rather than simply aping the old show for nostalgia value they looked at the elements that remained in the popular conciousness and improved on those as well as dumping the terrible parts that people didn't necessarily remember. They also watched GoLion and made the effort to bring in some of the more interesting elements that didn't make it into Voltron.

>What does Voltron do that other reboots of older properties fail to?

It adds much needed diversity. Old Voltron was a cracker barrel; new Voltron adds some color by including black characters and Asian characters.

Other cartoons need to open their minds and realize there are more colors in the box than white.

The Thundercats reboot was trash m8

Nah. It wasnt trash but it had some issues

Part of why it works for a reboot is conflicting source material. There are differences between GoLion, Voltron III, Dairugger, etc to reconcile. That's why you're able to do things like make Sven into GL's Shiro and incorporate some of the scrapped Gladiator story for Voltron II into his background. It also works for the style, as Ameri-Anime perfectly fits a hybrid production like Voltron.

The main point that makes it work, however, is that they took the base of a formulaic franchise and gave it nuance. Every other Voltron project failed because it was just more Voltron. This works because the cast has character and the story is the driving force.

Basically, action shows need to captivate with characters regardless of being reboots, because otherwise it's just spectacle and we have tons of flashy anime available at our fingertips if that's all we want. Your show needs substance or the audience is just gonna pull up a well animated Shonen fight scene on Youtube instead.

>Ameri-Anime

Stopped reading there, weeb.

If you aren't Japanese, you don't make "anime". Or "manga".

You're just a weeb.

I think the fact that it was given love. They didn't have a sudden writer change. It didn't have to obey the rules of airing, which on Netflix that means they're released all at once instead of weekly. As we know CN would've murdered it. Halfway through they would've moved it to a different timeslot, cut the budget, and never advertise it.

USAnime>anime

If I thought it was anime I'd call it that.

I'm saying the creative team is full of weebs who adapt a lot of visual and storytelling elements from common Japanese conventions and combine that with Western animation traditions. It's trying to "be like anime", which fits since the original was an adapted anime.

It's a cartoon, not an anime. They're just adopting an "Ameri-Anime" style. Hope that calms your ass down enough to stop acting like a retard.

Waifus, Space Kyon, Space Elves, Space reverse traps and Bishonen Gundam Pilot

It's a formula for success.

>USAnime>anime

>Anything>anime

Fixed that for ya.

It's okay. Just a decent action cartoon, nothing special.

The art direction is great and it moves fast plot-wise.

Hunk and Keith are much better than those two dinks.