Hypercrisis Thread

Hypercrisis Thread

>yfw you realize in Flashpoint, Barry delivered a message from Thomas Wayne to Bruce, paralleling Mercury's role as messenger as well as his role as a psychopomp, bridging the land of the living and the land of the dead

The Bat-Epic cured me of the last remnants of my childhood fear of the dark.

>Batman replaced Darkseid as DC's "god of darkness" so that people wouldn't have to be afraid of the dark anymore
>in the same story, it's revealed that Batman's real strength is in his friends and his love for others
>on some level the message of the entire Bat-Epic is that, in human beings, our better natures can triumph and we can show each other love and make the world one where it's safe for anyone to go out at night

Bump

Barry is Sailor Mercury
Wonder Woman is Sailor Venus
Superman is Sailor Moon
Batman is Tuxedo Mask
Martian Manhunter is Sailor Mars
Aquaman is Sailor Jupiter
Green Lantern is Sailor Saturn
Robin is Mini-moon

>Martian Manhunter is Sailor Mars
You're goddamned right.

>Aquaman is Sailor Jupiter
Shouldn't he be Sailor Neptune?

The whole concept of The Fifth World is largely a disgusting step back, and nothing more than proof that we won't actually get anything new.

If you think about it, Mamoru is likely a Batman fan.
>rich kid
>dead parents
>cape & mask
>fights evil
And there's evidence proving he's a huge dork.
And I'd wager Usagi is a fan of Wonder Woman.

>And I'd wager Usagi is a fan of Wonder Woman.
If only because Takeuchi is a huge WW fan herself and was inspired by her for SM. Her tiara throw was basically a straight up homage to WW's tiara throw.

Now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised that Venus's Love-Me Chain doesn't force someone to tell the truth.

But the Senshi never were big on interrogation.

>In BvS, the man who play the Comedian in Watchmen is Bruce's dad
>During Rebirth, Batman finds the Comedian's pin in his cave
BRAVO SNYDER

I guess but I've always wanted to see some kind of Sup Forums-Sup Forums crossover that tied into the Hypercrisis theory. Maybe a Sailor Moon/WW crossover or a bonafide DBZ/Superman crossover.

didn't marvel cross over with attack on titan?

>the theory where Batman and his crew have to read every manga and watch every anime in order to prepare themselves for Riddler's riddles

I seem to have missed teh thread where "Hypercrisis" was defined.
whats Hypercrisis?

Oh shit, they did, didn't they? Was the original creator involved?

I'd love to see Naoko Takeuchi's take on WW. Or Akira Toriyama doing Superman.

Hammers, bees, fat men holding watermelons. everything cna be hypercrisis, since Hypercrisis is just another meaningless buzzword

It's a collection of observations and theories, based on and expanded from Grant Morrison's overarching narrative.

>Hypercrisis is just another meaningless buzzword
You're a Hypercrisis.

Toriyama does have a Superman pastiche- Supaman, from Dr. Slump.

One thing I noticed is that almost every company with multiple IDs/franchises has introduced a multiverse by now. LEGO has Infinity, Blizzard has Heroes of the Storm, Cartoon Network had that weird MMORPG with the Bleedman-esque art style, etc.

It's easy to say that multiverses are just a gimmick that's popular right now, but it lends itself a bit too conveniently to the Hypercrisis theories.

>Mamoru
>fighting

hang on, I think I have the macro
nope, I don't.

Basically Morrisson had been dropping hints that he was gonna be doing another crisis event some time after Final Crisis. It was believed to be called Hypercrisis. People started looking for clues as to what Hypercrisis would be about.

but the actual event never happened, it got canned or just fell through, but people noticed some of the recurring imagery Morrison had been using to foreshadow Hyhpercrisis was also showing up in the books being written by the writers he was friends with. So people figured they had gotten together and hashed out a plan to use the story anyway, just spread out across several books until next time Morrison gets to do a big thing.

but as people kept looking for clues, they started noticing stuff that matched up with the patterns and imagery in stuff that couldn't possibly have been related to Morrisson's plans. Plus Morrisson did seveal interviews where he talks about how he sees DC comics as a sort of memetic organism, with writers and artists more like organs or genes. Plus Morrisson is an open advocate of chaos magic, which basically boils down to getting the outcome you desire through willpower focused via ritual.

So the idea got out that hypercrisis was a sort of spell cast on DC comics by Morrison that was able to work retroactively. This is a sort of absurdist post-logic joke that's not a joke. but what it boils down to is Hypercrisis is a narrative framework which can be applied to comics to look for extra meaning, regardless of the author's intent, by stacking up coincidences and recurring concepts.

Things have become even more enthusiastic in the wake of Morrisson's Multiversity which supplied us with new symbols to look for

That was such a great thread.

When we got to the marvel zombies connection I was shitting bricks

Anyone have a cap of the DNA one to get the biology and chemistry of DC.

not on me, no

i love mirror symbolism and occultism

In that thread, someone is looking for "Eights disguised as Sevens."

They are quoting Now, that ends in triple 7s. Could it be...

>8 + 3 + 6 + 2 + 4 + 7 + 7 + 7
>44
>4 + 4
>8

HOLY SHIT

OKAY THAT'S LEGITIMATELY FREAKY

It's not really a buzzword so much as the Sup Forums equivalent of Sup Forums seeing da joos behind everything - basic pattern recognition hooked up to a desire to make individual events fit wider preconceptions. Much like Sup Forums there's also a group of people doing it for laughs, and another set that get way too into it.

There's also in between.

Another similar thing might be having a waifu. People who laughingly say "mai waifu" about everything. People who obsess. And people who just have that character they have a huge crush on.

>another set that get way too into it.
Except instead of racism and spouting anti-semetic slurs we're enjoying the idea of being part of something bigger.

Well I mean, Sup Forums's desperate bandwagoning of the "alt-right" is really just them trying to be part of something bigger than their mothers' basements.

Everyone needs to construct narratives around their lives to put your own experiences in context with a wider universe. Some people look for the narrative that they're the poor decendants of a powerful race of perfect human beings who are now opressed by an unjust system. And some people just want superheroes to be real.

Oh yeah, there's obviously a spectrum, and you're right on the Waifu comparison. You can have people going "that's a neat coincidence but you're reading far too much into things", hardcore Morrison fans that treat everything he does as God's gift to the universe, people who just like crossover stories and don't particularly care how they all join up, all sorts. The evangelists tended to be really annoying if you're not into it to the same extent as they are, much like all nerd topics.

I don't understand this one.

The idea that there is more than one Joker in the DCU, or the Joker has been many different people.

Rereading it, I think the idea is that there's more than one Batman, more than one Joker, more than one Harley.

The world is full of people who hurt people. Full of people who want to help. And full of people who let themselves be hurt because they think it's all they deserve.

So in his Batman run it was implied that Bruce could manage being Batman because the city designed him and he had the mental state or madness to be Batman. The police Batmen go mad and Darkseid's clone Batmen fail too. Only Dick could succeed him later.

In the real world, writers who tried to rip off Morrison, like Ales Kot, failed because they didn't travel to the Himalayas to meet aliens or have the required madness. But Morrison's protege Gerard Way succeeded with his Umbrella academy and now has his own imprint. Was his Batman run a sigil, Sup Forums?

But it goes against everything Morrison's idea about Joker, where he's super sane and reinvents himself everytime to suit his environment and the time period.

>Was his Batman run a sigil, Sup Forums?
It was a hypersigil, but somehow I doubt part of its goal was to make sure other writers failed at what Morrison was trying to do.
He uses the Joker differently in different contexts. Superheroes (and villains) to Morrison are archtypes that can be manipulated to fill different roles.

I really don't understand why is this even a conversation, the 3 jokers bullshit was an idea by Johns a guy that is not familiar with batman comics and really doesnt give a shit about the joker. He just wanted to mark the "canon" of batman. The 3 jokers shit is a dumb idea that makes the entire batfamily look like complete idiots and takes away most of the interesting things about the joker. Anyone saying "hurr durr is explains the different interpretations" needs to shut up, that can be said about Lex luthor too. But Johns would never say "there's 3 luthors".

I didn't mean he wanted others to fail. He just wanted to be Batman, where he never grows out of what he's doing and has the answer to trap in life.

Sorry, I had a text post lined up to open discussion but got distracted and forgot to include it.

It's something that's been kicking around in my head since the 3 joker reveal. Near the start of Morrisson's run, Batman (actually a freaked out cop in a batman suit) shot Joker in the head.
When Joker brought it up in Batman R.I.P, ZEA Batman said it wasn't him, it was someone dressed as him. I couldn't find the other page I was after, but Joker basically says that the only way Batman is innocent of the act is if he Batman in front of him is actually saying he's not really Batman. That is to say, all Batmans are Batman no matter who is under the cowl, the actions of any one Batman are all done in the name of Batman, so any who go by the name Batman are responsible for everything done in the name of Batman.

and this very notion can almost be read to have inspired the whole Batman Inc. endeavor.

and a lot of stories have revolved around how there'll always be a Batman. If not Bruce, then Dick, or Damien, or Gordon, or Terry, or Tim.

There's been lots of Robins too, hell when Jason was Robin, Bruce had him dye his hair to create an illusion of continuity, that he was the same Robin that Dick was.

and no-face Joker told (a) Harley Quinn that he's burned through numerous girls all filling the same identity, which is particularly unusual in that trying to figure out when any replacements might have happened you still seem to be left with at least two women who remember being psychologists named Harleen Quinzel who became enamored with the Joker upon trying to psychoanalyze him.

This is where I invoke the name comedia dell'arte, an italian theater format in which different actors take turns playing masked archetypal characters.Perhaps the most famous of these is Harlequin/Hellequin/Arlecchino, the witty and resourceful clown who is usually contrasted with Pierrot, the stern and melancholic clown.

(cont)

But that was a canon explanation by Morrison because he wanted to make earlier interpretations of Joker canon. It was stupid for Johns to retcon that away because Morrison's explanation doesn't interfere much storytelling and writers can reinvent Joker however they want without breaking continuity.

I really don't think the reveal is going to be so street level. Like there were actually 3 different gangsters in Gotham named the Joker over the years and they never noticed they were different guys.

Considering it took Metron's chair to tell him, I think its going to be something a bit more cosmic or meta (not that that's John's strong suit either). My guess is that the universe spits out a new Joker everytime the universe is reset or tampered with.

What does /hyp/ think of The Elder Scrolls?
Is Michael Kirkbride an alt. universe Morrison?

>that picture
It's like if Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, and Garth Ennis had an angry bearded baby.

if Gotham's masked community is taken as a calvacade of stock archetypes, then Batman's archetype is an in-universe modern reinvention of the archetype represented by Barbatos. While The Joker's archetype can be traced back to at least Mad Dog, possibly further back to Baron Ghede and/or whatever the true identiy of 'the dragon in the mirror' is.

now the thing about comedia dell'arte is that even with the same crew and same actors, they'll try to reinvent the character they are depiction to keep the performance from becoming stale. This was stated plainly as a thing Morrisson's Joker did, and can be observed in Batman too, not only with stuff like his Zurr En Arrh persona, but in things like costume change, his reaction to Jason's death etc.

and you also, as mentioned, have the same actor perform one character one performance and another character the next. KJ Joker was once Red Hood. Jason was once Robin and became Red Hood. once you put on a mask, even if you quit wearing that mask you find yourself drawn to wear a new one next time you go out on stage.

So the idea is these archetypes exist, and 'Gotham' wants them filled. What we saw at the end of the New 52 run was someone who may have once been the Joker, but possibly also someone who was soon to become a new Joker, either way he didn't want to.

but of course its daft for a roduction to have multiple instances of the same character on stage at once, so the three jokers thing seems to imply something has gone very wrong with the selection process.

If they wanted to to something like that it was really easy: Emperor Joker reshaped the universe so every time he dies he could comeback in a way or the other.
I don't want to talk about how useless Batman was with the chair, since Darkseid war deserves all the hate it gets, but it's just that it's not that there's "several jokers" is that there's 3. Such a finite small number, i don't know i cant stop thinking Johns was watching the 60's show and the Tim burton movie as "research" for the batman script and got his brilliant idea.

I'm just hoping that before he wrote up and sent Rebirth to the printer that the at least asked Morrison his thoughts on 3 Jokers or bringing the Watchmen characters into the Multiverse.

Hey, so interesting fact: New York got the nickname "Gotham" before Batman used it, and Batman actually got the name from the nickname for New York.

The first modernish reference to a city being called Gotham was by Washington Irving, referring to a town called "Gotom," but the word goes back further, to stories a town of Gotham/Gottam, "Goat's Town."

Now, the thing about the original Gotham is, King John wanted to be able to travel through there, but he only traveled along main roads. The people in the town didn't want a major road through their little town, so when the king sent his men to investigate before building, they found the townsfolk doing things like trying to drown an eel in a barrel of water or drag wagons around on top of a barn to shade the barn from the sun. Thus, they went back to the king and told him it was a town of fools, and no road was built.

Thanks Scott Snyder

What? I just Googled to see where the name Gotham came from.

I think that's exactly the joke user was making about Snyder's 'research'

Ohhh, gotcha. Yeah, I'd make sure to know more than that if I were writing a Batman story and trying to incorporate that kind of thing.

The Goat's Town thing came into play in Batman Inc. vol 2

>comedia dell'arte

semi-related shit, old /tg/ hypersigil: www.warpheim.com lotta the same ideas, different medium.

>The Game of Auto-Erotic Defenestration
>it's a Discordianist text
oh boy, this gonna be good

>5
I CAN SEE THE FNORDS

Wrong actors bro lol

they're both Jeffrey Dean Morgan

>row 3, column 4

OH SHIT

So did anyone find any more Gentry popping up in any of the new DC books after that one thread or

They're spreading subtly across the rest of E33 pop culture now. It's not just comic books anymore.

I'm just keeping an eye out, mostly on Detective Comics.

I love you guys.

INTELLECTRON SEES YOU

As much as I'd love picking out specific elements that scream "Gentry", I'm worried I'd go overboard and try to rationalise too much bullshit.

Every hostile crowd or mob, every broken down building, every modern city, all the red lights, dark shadows and shady villains, all the femme fatales.

The Gentry always were.
The Gentry will always be.

I love you too.

one of my faves