Batman #2 Storytime

Let's see if King does anything this issue

Tim Sale variant

Make everything a metaphor for iraq?

probably

Oh hey its Grundy. And he isn't dressed like he's going to a Goth Club meeting.

>from capullo to this

>almost a panty shot

CLONE YOURSELF
We know you want to.

Just finished reading it. Before all the shitposting gets in here, I have to say it's much better than #1. Definitely paced like a weekly book right now but the writing is picking up. Not a fan of Finch's art but hopefully Janin and other fill-ins will resolve that issue.

King writes a great Alfred and Gordon, too. Overall, not too shabby.

I thought Gotham man and Gotham Girl wanted to take down Batman

Now they're all buddy buddy?

>the Morrison room

In before shitstorm.

There's always time for TWEEST where we see they're all evil men.

Do people still not realize he's Batman?

>she isn't wearing anything under the skirt

I love that Gordon is no longer impressed by people flying and just doesn't give a fuck anymore.

is this motherfucker seriously pretending he wasn't Batman for like a couple of in-universe months?

Bruce, you fucking weeb

Alfred is always great

As predicted. The end. Any thoughts so far?

What did you expect? This is David Finch we're talking about

>Waller is pudgier
YES YES YES

This suggests to me that Gotham is simple-minded in some way.

Are they flying?

I honestly don't know what to think of King's run. The only thing I could say is that I'm not impressed so far.

General dude is someone you guys recognize or brand new generic militaryman?

eh. not a huge fan of his bruce. his gordon is alright I guess but I preferred snyder's desu

>lane
it's lois's dad

I think that the "Lane" nametag would have been a huge fucking clue.

I missed the obvious.

>Strange
>Waller
>The Army
>Monster Men
This is gonna be great

Psycho Pirate?

why is the variant so much cooler than the normal cover? Goddamn, why is Sale stuff hidden like that. A tragedy, I'd say.

Definitely looks like it

I hope this strange is as good as the one in Gotham

does he normally smoke out of a pipe? seems weird, especially in doors

>Roger
yep

Pretty, pretty good. Slow, but satisfying.

Could well be. Good catch

Overall decent. Love the colours even if the art's not so great

Could have sworn he didn't, but I guess it's (slightly) healther than the alternatives. As long as he doesn't start fucking vaping.

this is the first the from King I haven't liked
fuck
I'll give him two arcs
but will he even last?

Gordon used to smoke a pipe in the early Batman comics, as it was pretty fashionable at the time. Then it became smoking cigarettes when pipes stopped being trendy.

Nothing really happened...

If he goes True Detective 2 it'd be classic
someone asks him to vape
"nah not for me, its like sucking Cyborg's dick."

What's the problem, not pandering enough with man-service like Grayson?

exactly

compared to his other titles it seems just light
and compared to other Rebirth titles it's not doing much either

Most satisfying thing in this arc thus far.

Grayson is my least favorite work from him actually
I think Seeley is the reason is was so fan servicey
but Omega Men was really good, Vision has been amazing, I really like Sheriff of Babylon too
just not super feeling like there's much of his voice in this
maybe he's staying safe while setting up a status-quo to subvert it later but right now it's not what I expected King to do with the coolest gig in comics

It's a slow burning story, primarily setting up stuff. It's like Sheriff of Babylon in that regard.

but the Sheriff is a page turner and this just isn't.

>having this much self doubt
I don't like King's Batman's voice desu.

>Morrison room
Kek
I like this Alfred.

>I think Seeley is the reason is was so fan servicey
I pretty sure it was King and Janin fault. I mean, just look at what they did with Bruce in the rebirth issue.

Is that the room where every body takes LSD and shaves thier heads?

I shouldn't be rolling my eyes at this. There should be better ways of making Batman senpai-material.

Babylon started out slow and then escalated. Same thing will happen here as we come nearer to the Monster Men crossover and shit starts to go down.

>going from Capullo to this
JUST
Holy shit Based. This issue was definitely better than first but pacing is still very sluggish for a King book.

>You were letting him get too far
>But you would've caught him anyway

What's his problem?

He's not Gotham. But I get where you're going with this.

>pacing is still very sluggish for a King book.

I don't know, Omega Men felt far more sluggish to me until around issue three or four.

Eh. Sheriff was still pretty engrossing, and it featured some great visual techniques to make the "slow" parts exciting and even some cool narrative techniques.

Batman is, so far, exceedingly straightforward. Honestly, I think King is playing it WAY too safe with his use of comic technique, as opposed to just writing from his heart as he did with Grayson and with his other comics.

Part of me thinks it's because his other books sold like shit so he thinks the average audience can't handle a little sophistication. But it's a bit silly: of all places, he should be writing as weird as hell with Batman because the book will sell regardless AND it'll differentiate him from other runs automatically, nevermind plot.

He literally explained it. He would have caught him, but not before that homeless got trampled

He wasn't going to catch him in time

This is why I hate Batman nowadays.

The homeless man was gonna get killed. Avoiding civilian casualities should be a priority for every hero

At least it was smart, characterization was on point. Here King offers nothing. Honestly if this was some other guy I'd have given this 8.5 but by King's standards, this feels meh.

>Inc. costume
PUT IT BACK ON

You're forgetting Rebirth titles are meant to pander old school fans who didn't like New52. It's pretty clear they've chosen to do a very traditional Batman for the time being, to get people to stick to it, which is entirely fine. It's still Batman, King is a reliable writer and so far it's entirely readable, clearly building to a Monster Men event. Not being amazing right off the bank is hardly as big of an offense if you have any patience.

Isn't Seeley known for T&A comics?

I fucking hate that Batman is goddamn magic.

>characterization was on point. Here King offers nothing

Gordon and Alfred's characterization is pretty damn good here, how come you're dismissing it in Batman but praise Omega Men for doing the same?

>Gordon
eh

>wanting a shit costume with a shit glowing symbol sticking out half a foot

Once again bad written.

Props to that user that called this after the first issue.

>Redoing the Monster Men
>Again
I thought rebirth was going to save us from this shit.

the whole point is nostalgia pandering as hard as possible. for fucks sake superman's books are doing reign of the supermen

The monster men are actual monsters now, not just giants with hairy arms and long fingernails

>Batman being able to mentally calculate a tenth of a second
>Bruce not trusting Alfred because of a birthday present
>Batman being op as fuck
>"nothing is impossible he's Batman"
I'm starting to hate this run.

>Morrison Room
>250 backwards
>052

Reminds me of BTAS desu

>actual monsters now
copying gotham I see

Those are just proto-metahumans, you pleb.

I fucking guess

Probably but his Batman was always part of the police force