Worst. Avatar. Ever

> Fire Nation is the most advanced nation.
> They have technology decades ahead of the other nations.
> Fire Lord Sozin wants to spread their technology and knowledge TOGETHER with Roku.
> Roku is a bitch.
> "No. Four nations should be separate."

> 100 years pass because no avatar to help lead other nations, so instead of embracing change, they fight it.

> Finally Aang and Zuko decide to create republic city (IE. all the nation combined).
> Huge success.

Roku personally set civilization back hundreds of years.

Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_East_Asia_Co-Prosperity_Sphere
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Better than "sit on my ass unless it personally affects me" Kyoshi.

>mfw people (including my friends) call Kyoshi "badass"

Sozin did genocide

Forced colonization/invasion is not the same as mutually setting up a neutral ground, user.

He originally had someone to balance him (Roku).
If Roku had just gone along with Sozin, society would have been better.
It was only when Roku insisted that the 4 nations be separate that Sozin kinda lost it.

At the time Sozin launched the war the Fire Nation didn't have any technological advancements over the other nations. Even after one hundred years they had very little that wasn't countered by the other nations having similar tech levels. Earth Kingdom had tanks, Northern Water Tribe had submarines, and the dirigibles we invented during the show by a member of the Earth Kingdom. All they really had was a limited industrial advantage.

Kyoshi behaved how the Avatar is supposed to behave. The Avatar maintains the balance, she's not supposed to interfere with the internal politics of a nation.

Nah, go watch The Avatar and The Firelord again.
The other nations were garbage compared to the Fire Nation.

What balance?

The four nations didn't even exist when the cycle started.

Why is it okay for Chin to conquer and terrorize people on one continent, but as soon as the Fire Lord starts terrorizing people across a line on a map that some people made up one day, the Avatar has to get involved?

The Avatar has no official duty. They're just following in Wan's vague goal of "peace".

Because Roku knew Sozin wanted to "share his culture" because he had a huge power hungry boner that he wanted to stick up every other nations' asses. As the Avatar,his duty was to stop Sozin's plans from the beginning,but because they're best friends he simply couldn't do it. And that was the moment when he seriously fucked up.

> Fire Lord Sozin wants to spread their technology and knowledge TOGETHER with Roku.
You probably support the "cultural enrichment" in Sweden

The Duty of the avatar as laid down by Wan and i guess Raava is to mediate and maintain Raavas peace.

Pretty sure the balance was upset when the Fire nation wanted to exterminate other benders.

Maybe Roku saw what Fire Nation imperialism could do to the other bending arts and went extreme on isolating the 4 nations. Thinking it would balance things out.

It's pretty interesting how all the Avatars make human mistakes whilst struggling to maintain balance for humanity, they inadvertently create problems for the next Avatar.

See how Avatar Yangchen created problems for Toruk who became a lazy irresponsible ass that made Koh steal his betrothed.

Or how Toruk's negligence paid way for the problems Kyoshi had to deal with.

Then there is Kyoshi's mistake in creating the Dai Li so they could prevent any crazy communist revolution that would fuck up the entire Earth Kingdom like China did under Mao.

Hell Aang's actions paved way for people like Amon's equalist and the Red Lotus to form.

>The United Kingdom has technology higly advanced
>Technology even centuries ahead of many other nations
>they decide to spread their technology and knowledge TOGETHER with Spain and France
>Locals like Gandhi are bitches
>"No, we want to rule our own land!"
>UK and friends is kicked out of India, China, Vietnam etc

>long time passes, and all we have is Poo in loo

United Kingdom did nothing wrong!

Prove me wrong

You do realize they wanted to dominate the other nations, right? it wasn't about 'spread knowledge'. He just wanted to use Roku, and he knew that. That's why he refused.

How many times did Roku get all his past lives killed, plunge the largest nation on the planet into case or let in apathetic, immortal, magical immigrants en masse?

Go back to motherfucker.

>> Fire Lord Sozin wants to spread their technology and knowledge TOGETHER with Roku.
Kek if you actually believe that.

They wanted to dominate and exterminate the 'lesser races.'

Look up the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. It was basically the same kind of bullshit propaganda Imperial Japan was trying to sell.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_East_Asia_Co-Prosperity_Sphere

It was never about spreading technology and knowledge, it was about subjugating the other nations under Imperial Japanese rule.

Jesus christ, how naive can you be?

I never understood what Sozin was thinking when he destroyed the Air Nomads. Even if he had succeeded in killing the child Avatar, the Avatar wouldn't just be reborn in the next nation of the cicle?

There was nothing laid down. Just wanting a vague "peace".

That's why he went after the Water Tribe next.

Even if he didn't get the Water Tribe Avatar, it delayed the appearance of the Avatar by over 10 years.

He said the avatar should help humanity understand spirits and be the bridge between the worlds. Then he fought for Raavas peace until he died.

>yfw Avatars are made solely to fail so hard that normal people get sick of their shit, get off their asses and accomplish things
>yfw the gods intentionally train Avatars wrong as a joke so humanity progresses in spite of (controlled) adversity and incompetence
>yfw Korra was actually a perfectly fine Avatar because despite knowing most of the elements she was a huge fuck-up and forced normal people to solve her problems
>yfw Aang was actually the worst Avatar because he accomplished thing, was reasonably successful and was one of the two most instrumental people in initiating progress

>At root the nations are still separate.
>Republic City is literally the only place to converge

They didn't exactly fix much, they only made a place for displaced colonists/refugees to go

Technically if you subjugate a bunch of countries under one nation you can far more effectively spread technology and knowledge.

This is how the Roman empire functioned. It's also basically what America did to Japan.

Do i really have to explain that i wasn't approving of imperialism? It's sarcasm

I was using the same reasoning as OP was, just on the real world to show how retarded OP is
I thought that was obvious

Okay, so MAYBE that's true. But even still, the primary aim was never to spread technology and knowledge, but to extend the Fire Nation's influence and use up the other nations' resources. In order to have an empire such as that, you're going to need some way to prop up such an establishment.

>fucked up raava
>fucks the entire avatar previous life wisdom line.
>loses every single fight she gets in and the ones she wins it's because some deus ex human revolution bullshit.
>single handed destroy the balance of the spiritual and human world.
>acts like a child
>race war.
>crying forever.
>loses her powers more often than she loses her shit.
>some kid threw a snowball at her and called her "the worst avatar ever"
>can't even fly
>doesn't like cabbages

need any more proof that korra is the worst avatar ever?

Fuck off.

She ends the equalists movement, gives Republic City its first democratically elected President, basically giving the normies equal representation and voice.

Destroys Vaatu from engulfing the world in darkness.

Opens the spirit portals up so spirits and humans can TRY TO coexist and be less dicks. As the Avatar she has the best authority to pull this crap.

Brings back the airbenders from systemic genocide.

RESCUES the airbenders from another complete genocide by the Red Lotus.

Fucks up Kuvira's Nazi empires.

Creates an entirely different spirit Portal.

I think that Kiyoshi is the worst Avatar because by setting up the Dai Li,she sowed the seeds for all of the problems that happened in the Earth Kingdom during Aang and Korra's time.

jinora did half of those things. but hey! korra is the avatar so all credit goes to her anyway.

>worst avatar
>anybody but Kuruk
Seriously?

She lucked into the whole equalist thing and had no hand in Raiko being elected.

Vaatu will be back later, and only lost because of jinora.

Spirit portals were a mistake and she was and should be hated for it by regular people.

Lucked into airbenders coming back but had no impact on it.

Bad guys made a mistake and she got saved by Jinora again. The airbenders were only in danger because Zaheer needed her dead and they would have lived after he killed her.

I guess Korra did beat Kuvira, but Mako took out the mech.

Creates another spirit portal fucking up balance in the world even more.

Most things Korra did was either pure luck or a bad choice, it's really her fault that Bryke can't write though so i forgive her, and i guess she did atleast try to make a difference, but the world is objectively worse off after she did her thing than it was before.

Is it really that unfair that in exchange for advanced, safe society you pay fealty to a stronger nation? You don't just get that shit for free, Japan only got a pass because we felt sorry for submitting them to the worst torture ever invented by mankind other than college algebra.

>She ends the equalists movement
She punched Amon out a window. The rest conveniently fell apart on it's own.

>gives Republic City its first democratically elected President
She had literally nothing to do with that.

>Opens the spirit portals up so spirits and humans can TRY TO coexist and be less dicks.
Why? There is literally no benefit to living alongside spirits, because spirits only take and refuse to do anything for humans in return.

>As the Avatar she has the best authority to pull this crap
As we learned from "beginnings", the only "authority" the Avatar has is being stronger than everyone else. No one chose them other than one particularly powerful spirit who's only interest beforehand was beating another spirit into submission.

>Brings back the airbenders from systemic genocide.
First of all, there's no indication Korra had anything to do with this. It's just as likely that the new Airbenders were purely a result of Harmonic Convergence. Secondly, why is this a good thing? It directly causes the conflicts of Books 3 and 4, and for what? So some people can push air around again? How does that help the world?

>RESCUES the airbenders from another complete genocide by the Red Lotus.
She had good intentions here, but that's not what happened. She turned herself in, which the Red Lotus responded to by not changing their plans at all and still trying to kill all the Airbenders. The Airbenders were rescued by Korra's friends, and Korra was the one who was rescued by the Airbenders.

>Fucks up Kuvira's Nazi empires.
No, she only fought Kuvira herself after her friends had already toppled her superweapon. And Kuvira did more good for the world than Korra.

>Creates an entirely different spirit Portal.
Completely by accident, and again, there's no reason to consider this a good thing.

I pity the poor Earth Avatar who comes next after Korra, imagine what sort of problem Korra made for him to clean up next before she died.

>the world is objectively worse off
The fact that airbenders are making a comeback at all begs to differ. Everything else is recoverable at least with Korra or the next Avatar.
If the world was how it was at the start of the show, you'd still have Equalists (probably succeeding) and you'd probably end up with the extinction of the air nomads.

India, China and Vietnam ARE shit compared to the UK.
Have you been to Vietnam? I have and the only decent places are the tourist traps. AKA the places where other countries got involved.

For a comparison to the Avatar world. Look at the cities in the earth Kingdom during Kuvira's reunification. They were shit compared to republic city.
Or look at the southern water tribe. Shit compared to republic city.

All Roku did was hold everyone back by not letting the fire nation spread and join together the other nations under a glorious rule.

Heck Republic City only came about because Earth Nation citizens and Fire Nation citizens were forced to work together (with Fire Nation being dominate). Now imagine if Roku was there to let them be equal.

Roku screwed up.

>The fact that airbenders are making a comeback at all begs to differ.
How is that an improvement? It directly led to the fall of the Earth Kingdom and the rise of the Earth Empire.

Why does a fourth kind of bending existing make the world a better place?

Also, we have no indication it was even caused by the portals at all.

>>fucks the entire avatar previous life wisdom line.
This is enough to say she is the worst

>. As the Avatar she has the best authority to pull this crap.
When her vision told her the literal opposite, and nothing suggested it was the right idea or actual balance. And it only ends up working because they touch on spirits about once or twice after not including background elements. They straight up ignore how most of them will fuck you over for cutting down a certain tree or just being in the space they have chosen

And then she does it again pretty much destroying Republic city as they could barely function with spirits just being about.

>you'd still have Equalists (probably succeeding)
The Equalists could never succeed from the start. Even if Amon had people lined up to de-bend 24 hours a day, he could never come close to removing all bending. Especially when new benders are born every day.

The Airbender were back before she did anything, something just happened after book 2 to speed up the process. Equalists might be around, but chances are that Amon would have been defeated by someone else down the line considering Korra did nothing other than surprise him and no one had it out for the air nomads. It was purely to lure her out so they could execute her.

Also she can't remove the third spirit portal again which certainly fucked up the balance part.

They were coming back anyway through Aang's decedents. They didn't need to completely uproot people's lives to do that

>, you'd still have Equalists (probably succeeding)
They literally only got out because of it. Also it was dumb that they didn't just kill them. In fact it is quite the question how they were even capable of imprisoning them

Considering that nations under Imperial Japanese rule had to deal with:
>war
>being treated like second-class citizens
>various war crimes like mass murder, the Bataan Death March, mass rape like the Rape of Nanking
>sexual slavery
>forced conscription
>exploitation of their resources
I'd say, yeah, it's pretty fucking unfair. It's not like those countries even ASKED for Japan to rule them anyway.

And frankly, despite the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan got off pretty damn easily compared to what they put their colonies and subjugated nations through.

This is bait. But I'll respond to it.
>It directly led to the fall of the Earth Kingdom and the rise of the Earth Empire.
No it didn't. Zaheer getting airbending led to that. It's related but not a cause. They were both caused by the same event, not one causing the other. And even then, like I said, the Earth Kingdom would recover, the Air Nomads wouldn't have.
>Why does a fourth kind of bending existing make the world a better place?
Gee user, its only the entire basis of this setting as well as key for the whole aspect of 'balance' which the avatar is supposed to keep.
>Also, we have no indication it was even caused by the portals at all.
Literally irrelevant to what I'm talking about.
My point was that he could effectively permenantly remve airbending forever. I didn't make that clear enough.
Yes but 4 airbenders that would likely only increase to around 10 within 30 years as well as the terrorist threat of the equalists when most of those airbenders are mere children.
Doesn't look good for the airbenders.

>lol guys I brought back the spirits to the human werld.
>but the spirits are destroying the city!
>lol then you'll have to live with it or are you racist or something, hmmm?

Sozin wanted to conquer parts of the world to increase the power of the Fire Nation and annex resources to benefit the Fire Nation at the expense of the colonies. That's it. Anything else was posturing and rationalization.

In that 100 years the Fire Nation didn't really develop technology beyond its military and it didn't modernize its own cities because it was so steeped in tradition.

Which is why after the war was over the peaceful exchange of ideas did more in 50 years than what happened in 100.

>India, China and Vietnam ARE shit compared to the UK.
And that means they shouldn't be allowed to rule themselves?

And The southern water tribe and many earth kingdom villages were shit because of the fire nation warfare

You're basically saying Might is Right.
A different real world comparrison would be that Poland is (and was) a shit country, Germany was a powerful influential nation with higher technology than most of the world
so by your reasoning, germany invading poland was totally fine

Why did it need to be quick? It didn't

> the terrorist threat of the equalists
One threat that was easily dealt with, when there would be a growing number of them meaning more which could fight. You'd actually have to show an instance of members of the family dying to have a solid point here

The event of others getting those powers like that actually lead to a terrorist getting out who was a bigger threat to them, so actually it did more harm

>No it didn't. Zaheer getting airbending led to that.
So people getting airbending, lead to someone using that power to fall the earth kingdom. How is what he said wrong?

>Hey Korra did you know the world weren't originally linked
>LOL I'LL BALANCE THE WORLD BY LINKING THEM!

The difference with your examples and the avatar world is that Sozin approached Roku about helping.
Roku wouldn't even listen to him.

Imagine if Germany was aided by essentially a God on earth who was a pacifist. Things would have turned out different.

What didn't need to be quick?
And you are only talking about events with Korra present.
I'n referring to if she wasn't there at all.

>how is what he said wrong
Because I was specifically referring to the rise of the air nomads. Zaheer is separate from that. Also, I already stated the Earth nation would recover.

the only and true hero of the avatar world

>What didn't need to be quick?
Bring the air nation back. There was no great need to bring it back super quick and in fact doing so fucked up a lot of people's lives by uprooting them

>I'n referring to if she wasn't there at all.
People have already pointed out she wasn't useful for those, you also failed to address any points

>rise of the air nomads.
Those events are linked if you like it or not. The harmonic shit gave lots of people the power and that doesn't mean those who will use it for good, including one of the biggest criminals in the world who posed a huge threat to the air nomads

>I already stated the Earth nation would recover.
Yeah, with lady hitler in a mech. It went so well and you have so much basis to say it will only get better

Guys you aren't asking the important questions.

So the skybison and badgermoles are both natural benders, right? So did they get their bending from the lionturtles or what?

Stop asking completely logical questions

Considering the constant threats to their livelihood, yeah its good that it happened quick.
>uprooting
That hardly fucked up that many people and they were all given a choice.
>failed to address any points
You dense motherfucker, the guy I was initially arguing with was saying airbenders being extinct forever would not have been a bad thing.
And I wasn't in the discussion about Korra's usefulness at all. Only in relation to the revival of the Air nation.

>Sozin a good boy he dindu nundin
>Roku he sed him up
>Fire Lord jus wanna drop his bomb mix tape 2 da world he hadda giff

I want /fnpol/ to leave

>bevelling water kike lies

Go back to your house, Mr. Plinkett. Go fuck a hooker or your cat or something.

These are all points that I ALREADY mentioned would be irrelevant in the long run (100 or so years) if it meant having airbenders not go extinct.

>So the skybison and badgermoles are both natural benders, right? So did they get their bending from the lionturtles or what?

>A:TLA explains that people got their bending from watching natural benders in the wild, like the skybision and badgermoles
>LoK just says that everyone got their bending from the Lion Turtles

Fucking hell. Did NOT take them too long to start contradicting their own canon, huh?

>Vaatu will be back later

He's trapped inside Raava. Just like how Raava didn't materialize outside of Korra once the celestial event happened, Vaatu can't escape because he's doing that uninterrupted shuffle with the spirit of order once again.
They were losing and on a time table because Jinora got herself captured otherwise they all could have attacked Unalaq and Vaatu but had to split up because Jinora forgot she was suddenly Jesus.

People say the Wan episodes were good but it utterly ruins the lore of the series

I mean, they were easily better than anything else in S2, but they did fuck up the lore as well.

So I guess JUST...

Eh. The lore was ruined back in the OG series.
> Destroy the Air Nomads!
> No air nomads for 100 years
> Non-benders can have bender kids
> So for 'some reason' no air nomads were born after Sozin killed the others.

Doesn't make sense.

Well he and Raava are trapped inside Korra, it only seems reasonable that they will both be able to communicate with the avatar once he grows stronger again, which he will.

You're right about Jinora getting captured, but they had no plan of fighting Unalaq until she was and Unalaq forced their hand. Then when Korra fought Unavaatu she was losing and about to be killed when Jinora showed up and won the fight for her.

Depends on what makes them have bender kids.

Lol aang was the worst. "But but he defeated der fire lord and balanced the nations!" Wouldn't have had to if he didn't abandon his post and run like a sissy.

You stupid? He still had to do that. Thats why he left.

I assume that is cause they need to be decedents of air nomads. like you don't see water tribe giving birth to fire nation kids out of no where

You would fit in elsewhere.

>This is bait
It's not.

>No it didn't. Zaheer getting airbending led to that.
That's direct causation.

>Gee user, its only the entire basis of this setting as well as key for the whole aspect of 'balance' which the avatar is supposed to keep.
The show throws around the word "balance" but never actually defines it or gives any reason why having four bedning types should matter.

Needs a few more question marks.

>Treating Korrashit as if it's canon

>Zaheer is separate from that.
No, it's not. It was the same event.

>I am Lion Turtle, destroyer of tension and good stories

Okay so you're spouting nonesense. Cool. They were caused by the same event. They were not the same even.
You fucks need to realize, I'm talking about the reformation of the Air nation, not harmonic convergence. Not everyone getting airbending. Those are just the events that caused it to happen.

Even without the lore the episodes are pretty awful.

>Trying to do a story about balance, overcoming differences and living together in harmony, at the same time as a good vs. evil story where the problem is solved by locking away the bad spirit

>That spirit is evil, help me!~
>ok
>No! That OTHER spirit is evil, help ME!
>ok

>I'm talking about the reformation of the Air nation
Which isn't really a good or bad thing. The only real argument for why there should be four bending types is "There just should!".

fair, but chances are that a pacifist god would probably not want to help a nation with hostile intentions
and before you say Germany could've gone without hostility, no they couldn't. Even if they got poland without war, their aim was still death

Why? Do you still disagree with me?

>Kyoshi behaved how the Avatar is supposed to behave.
Like a self-centered retard who actively escalates and prolongs a national crisis for the millions of people already suffering? Everything we know about Kyoshi points towards her being a dogshit Avatar.

Ignoring that you apprently don't give a shit about the entire premise of this fantasy world. I didn't even say it was necessarily a good or bad thing (even though it is).

The premise of this fantasy world is that people can bend elements. There's nothing suggesting that the number of bender types is something that makes the world better or worse.

He was probably expecting the Avatar to reveal themselves at some point in order to save his people and then capture him, but when he never appeared, the Air Nomads were all killed

I like how LoK took a giant shit all over Eastern philosophy and mysticism by making everything a simple good vs. evil story.

Like...nigga what? lol

There are four styles and four nations, avatar needs to learn all four styles etc. Having them all seem pretty central to the setting. That said speeding up the amount of airbenders shouldn't have any special value.

I know I'm gonna get shit for this and there were problems with the Wan episodes but they show the difference between being able to punch fire (from the lion turtles) and the specific martial arts required to master that fire (learned from dragons) in that episode.
It's contentious but I think that there's a reasonable enough difference between those two concepts.

did you even watch the show?
most of what you said was made by sokka

>See how Avatar Yangchen created problems for Toruk who became a lazy irresponsible ass that made Koh steal his betrothed.
It's Kuruk and the only issue she left him with was a world that was completely peaceful, not really what I'd call an issue.

>Toruk's negligence paid way for the problems Kyoshi had to deal with
Kuruk's failing had nothing to do with Kyoshi's era. For all we know, Yangchen's peace endured well into Kyoshi's time. Kyoshi failings as Avatar are hers and hers alone.

but user, it was fine

Roku knew that Sozin wanted to share their culture for the wrong reasons. He knew Sozin well enough to realize that his plans were going to lead to a forced government that controlled all other nations. Sozin wanted Roku because he knew people wouldn't fight or debate the Avatar, making invasion easier.

>Boop, now you can win without any ethical dilemmas

>four nations
There weren't four nations when the Avatar cycle started, and there weren't in either ATLA (3 nations) or TLOK (5 nations).

Kuruk was by no means impressive or even good but his failure was minuscule compared to Roku and Kyoshi's fuck ups..
All he really did wrong was piss off Koh (and anybody can piss off Koh. Koh's an asshole. Who the fuck even made Koh the judge of whether an Avatar's worthy or not? Sounds to me like he just had a bone to pick, regardless of how Kuruk performed)

Anyway, the only victim of Kuruk's failure was his fiance. Roku had chance after chance to stop Fire Hitler 1.0 and didn't because they were buttbuddies, resulting in a century of industrial warfare and the near 100% genocide of a race and Kyoshi;
>a) let a warlord ride roughshod over a continent because she was too lazy to handle it
>b) actively created a power vacuum which caused a violent uprising in the world's largest city and
>c) installed military secret police in said city with absolute impunity to arrest, torture and brainwash civilians for any reason they see fit.

Kuruk's certainly not in my bottom two.

There were 4 in Atla and 4 in LoK, in LoK RC was just a mix of the others, and in Atla Aangs nation had been almost killed off.
In Wans time humans were also divided into different nations with each their own element.

>Vaatu will be back later
He'll reincarnate immediately as he wasn't killed in the Avatar State.

>I guess Korra did beat Kuvira
Kuvira gave up, Korra never bested her in combat.

>That hardly fucked up that many people
And by the same token you could say it didn't make that many airbenders, and one of them destabilized the largest nation on Earth.

>they were all given a choice.
Yeah, go with Korra or back to the Queen who's pissed her legally conscripted subjects were taken from her.

>it only seems reasonable that they will both be able to communicate with the avatar once he grows stronger again, which he will.

Why? Raava didn't return to her full strength until after being resurrected anew? Vaatu wasn't weakened, he was spirited away in an Avatar-like state. Also, aside from Bryke not knowing about Raava and Vaatu themselves (because they are hacks,) Raava never spoke to anyone besides Wan and even when she could she never spoke to Korra because that part of the story was over and would clash with that whole "so why didn't they speak to other Avatars?" idea.

Vaatu is doing the tango with Raava 4ever.

They had a plan to fight Unalaq:
1.) Split up and rescue Jinora
2.) Toss Unalaq away
3.) Seal the portals to prevent Vaatu from escaping

Remove the 1.) Split up and rescue Jinora part and you are left with
1*) Isolate Unalaq/kill/subdue him
2*) Either seal or reseal Vaatu

Korra was losing because lightning Mako couldn't use lightning on the waterbender twins so they magically escaped and went to help their uncle. Korra was losing because the writer's thought they needed Jinora to do something because they already spent so much time on her. Jinora had no reason to be at the final confrontation.
All of it was bad writing.