If you had to choose, would Animorphs work better as a comic or a cartoon?

If you had to choose, would Animorphs work better as a comic or a cartoon?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/a6rux164cagqv1m/Animorphs.zip
youtube.com/watch?v=mHdHkbauAOg
bogleech.com/animorphs.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cartoon.

Comic. Easily.

Good luck getting someone to put the fucked-up shit in Animorphs in a cartoon.

Definitely gets too graphic at points for what most cartoons would allow.

I would kill to see a proper cartoon, but they'd never get away with any of the gruesome stuff. It could only be faithful as a comic.

Is that a real Animorphs cover? It's really fucking bad.

Yeah, the first one was terrible. They got better.

gonna need an artist willing to go dark as fuck. i still need to finish this series but it's been too long since i read it

>yfw reading it

Man, those book covers are still freaky.

How did Applegate get away with it?

every childrens book adaptation works better as a comic, maybe make the comic first and base the cartoon on it

Obligatory: mediafire.com/download/a6rux164cagqv1m/Animorphs.zip

it would work better in the dumpster.

The Schoolastic employees, management, and administration were too busy doing hookers and blow using the shitloads of money they were making from middle schoolers' allowances to actually give a shit about the content of the books they published.

What is it?

And thank god for that.

sounds like scholastic is a great place to work at, are they still like that?

All of the books.

did you know that there was an Animorphs vidya

in fact, there's TWO OF 'EM

youtube.com/watch?v=mHdHkbauAOg

>inb4

I never read animorphs can anyone gives a plot summary?

children have the power to morph into animals, they fight aliens, get disemboweled/tortured/put through a living hell multiple times

>disemboweled/tortured/put through a living hell multiple times
Holy fuck how the hell do they get away with this shit

bogleech made a neat article about it if you wanna read some of the more disturbing stuff

bogleech.com/animorphs.html

Good writing and kids don't get that traumatised easily like Americans think

neglected to mention the aliens they fight are basically bodysnatchers that control humans and other species by entering their brains and imitating their behavior perfectly.

I played the gameboy one as a kid. even then I thought it was retarded that when a morph got defeated in a battle you had to go and re-aquire it

Holy Fuck

I wish the local library had done a better job stocking these when I was a kid. I remember they had books one through eight, then after that it was spotty despite having like six copies of some of the same book.

Comic easily. Cartoon is doomed to censorship and toning down from the book.

Comic gives a chance for shit like body horror ant. And hopefully a not shit ending.

>That Viser 1 backstory
>That alternative future

I wasn't prepared for them to actually hit the full implications of body snatchers.

>a yeerk will never use you as a breeding tool

Books are different from cartoons, you can get away with pretty much anything in a YA novel because 'at least those damn kids are reading SOMETHING'
Friendly reminder that one of the most popular YA novels of the 80s was a romance novel about a girl who gets raped by her twin brother.

What?

I laugh every time I see this.

Wish granted.
>You're an overweight and nearsighted NEET before the invasion
>Your Yeerk whips you into shape with an exercise regimen and a strict diet
>Your Yeerk now uses your body to perform a fairly dull job at a newly constructed dracon beam factory
>You peak up when it's decided that you will be used in the breeding program
>Your genes are determined to be of only limited usefulness
>You are only allowed to be bred with 2/10 butterfaces and literal retards

Long story short these four siblings get imprisoned in an attic by their abusive grandmother. They stay there for years and grow to adolescence there. The two older ones raise the two younger ones and fall in love with each other. At one point the brother rapes the girl and but she forgives him and it brings them closer together.

Okay then.

I never got into Animorphs, but I keep hearing of how fucked up it got and all. What happened?

Or graphic depictions of underage girls being pounded by sweaty old men

Not shying away from the horrors of war by the sound of it.

Someone should email the guys who did this, it was quite graphic and right up their alley.

existential horror, ptsd, gore, science fiction

Lots of insane shit.

A boy trapped in the body of a rat, abandoned on an island, telepathically screaming forever. Just one example.

By book six the kids have starved a sentient being to death.

they Also used disabled kids as shock troops, even knowing that the ones who became disabled rather than being born that way would get healed after they demorphed.
honestly it's the book equivalent of Kirby, cute and non-threatening at first glace but actually really fucked up in parts if you pay attention

The first book hits its first major story beat with a dying alien king being messily devoured alive by an alien warlord.
The next major story beat in the series is one of the kids breaking the rules of morphing (unmorph within a hour or you'll be stuck that way for good) except it's implied that maybe he'd rather not be human because his home life is just that bad. At one point he gets a huge reveal about himself (once he's regained the ability to morph with his hawk form as his base) and his personal history. He's in the form of a human, and it's super devastating psychologically, but he's been a hawk so long that he doesn't remember how to properly emote as a human.
The kids commit mass murder (not normal war shit either, actual atrocities), including making a bunch of disabled kids into Animorphs then sending them into the meat grinder as a distraction.
One of the main 6, if not for the war, would have lived a nice life as a serial killer.

>forever

Did Rachel Euthanise him?

Comic.

But if you REALLY wanted to do it right, it would have to be a "the third movie is split into two movies" trilogy like The Hunger Games. It's the kind of thing that would work best live-action, and it would play best in that kind of high-budget live-action movie format.

Were these books actually well written? the plots sound interesting.

I really, REALLY fucking want a Hunger Games style movie franchise for Animorphs, if only for the potential for the best viral ad campaign of all time.

Can you imagine going to SDCC one year, and getting handed pamphlets for The Sharing?

Or watching a caught-on-camera iphone video of an elephant and a tiger seemingly destroying a used car lot?

As a kid I really wanted Rachel to dominate me. I think that may have been the first fantasy I ever jacked off to, honestly.

Bit torn, because each has it's strong suits. An animated series would be censored, but would be able to pull off a lot of the cool stuff the kids get into. A comic wouldn't be censored, but the pacing would be all off.

I think if someone were to make it a live action series in the style of Buffy or Angel, with a mix of cgi and practical effects, would probably be for the best. Each book could fill out 1-2 episodes, and while they would have to scale back on a few things, as long as they stayed close to the story it'd probably be ok. Maybe get Jim Hensens old company to do the aliens?

as is the case with a lot of capeshit cellphones and the modern internet kind of destroy secrecy so animorphs is a period piece

It's YA sci-fi, so take that with a grain of salt

But yes, I'd say so. There's a bit of a slog near the middle of the series, if I remember right, but it's good shit

They...hooo boy, they had their ups and downs. There are individual books that read like absolute ass, but those books are largely skippable and the overall plot is indeed very good. It's absolutely worth reading, provided you can remember that this IS a monthly series intended for the 12-15 set in the mid 1990s.
That said, again, while the lows are cringeworthy, they're mostly skippable and the highs are so, SO fucking great. Especially the optional, side books. The Chronicles series; four books that focus on a specific aspect of the Animorphs universe is just flat, no qualifiers damn good science fiction.

The least violent, yet most fucked-up thing I remember. The part ending with "watched me."

I disagree. They'd have to re-imagine parts of it, but I think the post 9/11 air of national conspiracy, paranoia and surveillance would be a MASSIVE boon to the kind of story Animorphs is trying to tell.

Don't forget that the being they starved to death?

It was being starved to death in one of the kid's own brain, and spent it's last panicked day going over every single horrific torture it planned to do to every one of that kid's friends and family.

Fuck yes the Chronicle books were good.

If they went with an animated series, it obviously wouldn't fly with any of the main children's networks. Put it on Netflix maybe?

>Hork Bajir chronicles somehow takes the PTSD and war atrocities from the series and cranks it up a dozen notches

That book starts with cute cuddly romance between two aliens and ends in one of the most chilling wars I've read in any kind of fiction

>damn good science fiction.
Really surprisingly hard science fiction too. It's really impressive the detail they eventually went into. You'd think there'd never be any consideration for the changes in mass between morphs, so it was awesome to see an explanation for where a human bodies worth of material went when they morphed into bugs.

And then implications of that were existentially terrifying.

On top of that, when it finally kicks the bucket, its parting "gift" is the memory of an eldritch abomination.

in reply to

Oh shit, I forgot that Jake encountered the Crayak at that point.

>when Cassie gets the neural backup of Seerow's daughter in a later book and the only way she'd managed to live with herself was to repress all memories of having ever been an andalite and lived in a delusion of having always been a hork-bajir

>memory

Son, that wasn't the yeerk injecting a memory of Crayak into Jake's brain

That was Jake temporarily transcending reality and catching a glimpse of Crayak. The yeerk being connected straight to his brain and dying sent him right on the edge of life and death, and for a moment he saw through the gaps in between

Man I love Animorph threads on Sup Forums, but for general wondering

What do people think of the Series Applegate did after Animorphs, Remnants?

Personally I thought it was fine, had a few Creepy ideas, but way to many characters, Probably not enough books to meet up with all her ideas.

Potential was there but in the end was kinda underwhelming.

Still haven't read it. I need to track those down some day.

I don't remember much about it at all.

I tried reading it in my teens, after finishing Animorphs, and it just didn't click, but that could just be because I was still stuck on Animorphs and wanted more, and this certainly wasn't that.
I may try again

I remember this series also had a lot of ghost writing, not sure if that helped or hurt the quality.

Only actual ya fantasy/scifi I would ever go back to is Artemis Fowl.

Everworld was better. Remnants was interesting but would have been better with a smaller cast and a clear goal for the protagonists.

Applegate's husbands Gone series is what Remnants should have been.

I have digital Copies, could make a Mega for you if you want

Why isn't that guy from the Banjo-Kazooie thread freaking out about this?

Yes, I would very much appreciate that!

The Ender series holds up.
And I've actually been reading a lot of Christopher Pike books lately and they're a good guilty pleasure. He's better than most adult horror writers I've read, just with trashy 80s slasher movie subject matter.

Weird timing, I just finished reading the Elimist chronicles.

Dude starts off a loser Sup Forumsirgin, eventually becomes God.

Its hard to say. Some of the filler books were awesome,others were bad and some made you wonder what you just read.

Just read Speaker, Xeno and Children for the first time last month. Holy shit it was a wild ride, it's like someone asked him to make a goofy alien species but he made it hard as diamonds. Xenology is fucking ridiculous.
BUT I wouldn't say any of them are YA but the first one, and even then it isnt. YA is like teenagers, right? Ender wasn't even 12 when the rest book ended, and by the time the second book starts it time skips to 30.