ITT: Source material that would be difficult or impossible to adapt to a film

ITT: Source material that would be difficult or impossible to adapt to a film

Other urls found in this thread:

eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-31-fear-is-the-path-to-the-dark-side
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're making a fucking trilogy based off of Tetris. Somebody could write decent portal movie.

You're assuming the Tetris trilogy is going to be watchable

>Larry fucking Kasanoff
Yeah those Tetris flicks will really be something

>character wakes up in a seemingly normal apt
>a female robotic voice begins giving her instruction
>after passing through a few rooms which begin to change
>character realizes that the voice is out to kill her
>character has to escape a la "Cube"
>starring Jennifer Lawrence

A portal movie would work if you give the audience a sense of immersion. Or if they could feel empathy for the character any time they went through a portal. For example, the use of portals in high places that force the user to drop from a potentially fatal height would both use negative space well and allow the audience to feel suspense or tension. Similarly, while the game essentially gives you unlimited time to finish most rooms, a movie adaptation would need to find a way for the story to progress. Maybe there's someone stalking the protagonist. Maybe the portal gun has limited shots. Maybe there are several people using portal guns at the same time.

They kind of made this movie already, and it wasn't that great...

How would it be difficult at all? It’s the game with a camera filming the character.

JJ Abrams is literally the only person I trust with making a proper vidya adaption. The Cloverfield movies and LOST took place in the Portal/HL universe anyway though

three stigmata of palmer eldritch

it's just fucking impossible

I could see Portal being quite a doable film to make.

Would rather see a Half-Life movie before Portal though.

But to stay on topic, SimCity. I'd have NO idea how they'd do that.

Movies are just too short to do anything interesting

They made a movie out of fucking battleships board game and an emoji movie. They would find a way.
Whimsical characters who live in a diorama like city have a bunch of crazy shit happen to them. One of them begins to suspect that someone is causing these events.

They've made/making movies based on emoticons, the battleship boardgame and tetris. Sadly, there is nothing that they won't try and adapt to a movie.

James bond with aliens

Television shows (the ones with continuity far more than episodes which have no connection to each other) put too much filler in.

I will always prefer movies like The Godfather over shows like The Sopranos.

A nice, contained story will always be superior to me.

>Whimsical characters who live in a diorama like city have a bunch of crazy shit happen to them. One of them begins to suspect that someone is causing these events.

Isn't that exactly what The Lego Movie is about?

>starring Jennifer Lawrence
Olivia Munn would be perfect desu

Cube has a very polarized audience. You either love it or hate it. I loved it.

>Not a tetralogy
Has pottery died?

hard mode: no Cars-esque type of movie

Mad Max meets Drive

Just make some of it, cool looking scenes where chell is solving puzzles that get increasingly harder, and some where GLaDOS is talking with her casually, yet constantly making threats to her life.

Also do a lot of exploration in the ridiculously huge facility.

Movie takes place in the future, soccer played with futuristic cars is popular. From there on it's just your standard sports movie where the characters have to learn to work with each other.

Just remake Moon but with a female protagonist and make the Kevin Spacey bot really sarcastic.

Speed Racer with big metal balls.

It would be doable. But they'd have to invent the entire story and all the action takes place in space.

>and it wasn't that great...

Already done.

Nah. As long as it's animated it could be a pretty cool film.

COLOBOT

there's just too many fucking characters and the mythology is too complex. if you strip those aspects out of it, there's nothing terribly unique left. MAYBE an HBO series could work, but it'd be a real challenge, and the required budget would be massive.

Any Paradox game
Since the gameplay is just staring at a map for however many hours, the movie has to be exclusively shots of a map

yeah but it's a toddler. animated film crowds will flip out

not really. LEGO Movie is mostly standard dystopian shit with a whimsical skin and a two-jokes-a-minute script, and the meta crap all comes in in the last twenty minutes.

it would work best as a 3DCG animated flick with no dialogue besides GLaDOS, no need to cast anyone as Chell

>Takes elements from various sci-fi conventions and settings.
>Where would you even start?

inherent vice was easy mode.

i honestly can't imagine any director with the talent to bring it to life on the big screen.

Oh yes I much prefer 10 hours of trash filler reliant on cliffhangers because gotta get dem ratings.
The shit-tier production quality because low comparative budgets also just makes it so much better.

Is anyone edgy enough?

WH40k would be easy as fuck to adapt. It would just be hard to do it right.

On the other hand I'd love to see a TF2 movie/tv adaptation.

the only hard part of adapting this would be getting a studio to fund it

Cormac McCarthy's novels are practically screenplays, just hire a talented cinematographer and shoot it word for word with minimal camera movement

They already made a movie about WH40K warp travel.

World record breaking map starer suddenly meets a new challenger. But can he juggle the competition and win samanthas heart?

dead man by jim jarmusch is the closest i've seen but that was a little more hallucinogenic in tone. regardless one day they will almost certainly try and make it a movie.

Be better giving it the GoT treatment but just with out hack writers

>map staring autismo
>interacting with women at all

>WH40k
>GoT
>without hack writers

The whole setting is one intentional knock-off hackjob or atleast it used to be.

This shit proves that anything can be turned into a movie

>10 books of self contained stories

wew lad

James fucking Franco thinks he can do it. What a dumbass. Shit would be utter trash. The extent of the evil of the protagonists makes it very tough off the bat.

>The whole setting is one intentional knock-off hackjob

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised Blizzard never sued them for how blatant of a ripoff it was from Starcraft.

they're not self-contained, but yeah. it's essentially three arcs that eventually all get welded together in the last 2 books, with literally hundreds of viewpoint characters.

have you actually watched any of the films Franco has directed? As I Lay Dying and Child of God were both good.

>WH40k would be easy as fuck to adapt.
Nope.jpg

Requires in-universe knowledge for most of the time.

Laymen would be asking shit like why is the Emperor worshipped? Is he ded or not dead? Why are some of the Space Marines spikey and evil? And so on.

Hard to adapt an rpg with such freedom for choice. Add to that disney would ruin it.

>a man on a quest
>to buy a gf

There's a canon ending to it, so yeah it's possible.

that said, KOTOR 2 would still be a hard game to adapt because there's relatively little conflict for the majority of the game.

I'll do it.

This is why Wahrammer 40k Novels all start with this.

"It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries The Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."

Basically summarizes the setting.

Google Warhammer40k
Google Starcraft
Feel stupid and stop posting

honestly I just really hope they never try

it would not be that difficult to just adapt all of the main plot quests into a film.

It has a shitlaod of characters and stories, it already sells toys. It's easy to adapt but it would be hard to make it digestable to normies and fans alike.

Sounds like a job for Ron Perlman

I think the amount of plot and dialogue compensates for that. It wouldn't be easy but it's still possible.

possible but very difficult to pull off well. I would love to see a series with the original idea of having vima sunrider as opposed to bastila shan - replaced vima due to a legal issue with the sunrider name.

Being a force wound, the development of Meetra learning so much about the force quickly could be great if done right. There wouldn't be as much fighting, but the inner conflict of meetra surging in power as she overcomes more enemies would make up for that. That and all of her crew seaching for their place in the galaxy. It would be complex as fuck, but done right the story would be amazing

Also fuck that abortion of an mmo that made meetra seem like weak shit. The whole point of a force wound is that its the exception to the anakin rule in terms of power level.

Are you kidding? There's a ton of backstory in the second game to mine for a potential adaptation.

Here's my pitch. It opens no later than Cave Johnson purchasing the salt mines and ends no earlier than Bring Your Daughter to Work Day. The tone is a Moral Orel-esque mixture of absurdist humor and genuine suffering. As cringe-worthy as the Portal 2 fan-made stage musical was, the guy who played Cave Johnson in it would be a great fit for the role in the movie, and Caroline should be Mara Wilson, assuming she can be persuaded to do another movie. Also, it's a musical with a score by Jonathan Coulton.

Then you just have the same experience as the original game, but without any interactivity. It's pointless.

I really hope they never try though

>Being a force wound, the development of Meetra learning so much about the force quickly could be great if done right. There wouldn't be as much fighting, but the inner conflict of meetra surging in power as she overcomes more enemies would make up for that.
This. The story would be amazing.

Would they reveal Caius' sugar problem?

there's no way to compress all of that into a 2.5 hour film, though. KOTOR 2 is conflict-light, but plot-heavy, and thus a nightmare for adaptation. i think it could possibly be done as an 8 - 12 episode miniseries, but even that is pushing it, because the writing is just so detail oriented that cutting anything weakens the entire narrative greatly. luckily, due to autistic novelizations, there's a canon path for literally everything in the game, so anyone working on it wouldn't have to start from scratch, but it'd still be a near-insurmountable task.

>Also fuck that abortion of an mmo that made meetra seem like weak shit.
yeah, i agree. overall i think SWTOR is a quality game, fun to play as a co-op RPG with your buddies, but the writers handled Revan and Meetra terribly, to the extent that i wish they'd just left them out.

You are absolutely correct that a movie is impossible. I see it as a miniseries, maybe 10 hour length episodes.

In fact I could see 5 seasons of a high quality old republic series with the following:

>s1: Mandalorian wars
>s2: Jedi Civil War
>s3: Kotor 1
>s4: Kotor 2
>s5: "Kotor 3"

>Feel stupid and stop posting

Ironic.

Make multiple movies, fill some space with drawn out fights. SW3 had a 45 minute fight.

all right lad
time to post the rest

>s5: "Kotor 3"
Why? The ending to kotor 2 was already kino. What would even be in that season?

James Franco's previous shitty book adaptations are the reason we all know he can't do it. They're terrible.

that sounds terrible, user. it could theoretically be done, but it misses the entire point of KOTOR 2's story. in fact, a proper adaptation of KOTOR 2 should have as little action as possible, or at least go out of its way to portray it non-heroically.

hand drawn animation in the style of heavy metal. Only include the major events of each book. Include the heavy metal.

..okay, so just make another Heavy Metal movie without the Malazan name on it if that's what you want.

a Portal movie should be about the rivalry between Aperture Science and Black Mesa in their heydays.

Steve Carrel is small town mayor who has always secretly had dreams of being the mayor of New York. Christopher Walken invents this ray that can literally make buildings out of raw materials in minutes. Steve meets Walken on a chance encounter and before Walken dies he bestows his greatest work onto Steve.

OK so now Steve can create the city of his dreams but there is a catch, the love of his life played by Brie Larson works at a small business and hates big city folks because they want to make everything corporate.

Carrell can't help himself he must build things with his SimCityRay but he also keeps her isolated. Eventually his lust for power encroaches on her and he needs to decide whether or not to destroy his CityRay forever or to tell her about it.

Its heartwarming you could even do an Edward Scissorhands type ice sculpture scene where he makes a building that looks like her, or makes entire sports stadiums called Brie Larson Park to convince her that SimCityRay is a good thing.

There could be an environmentalist angle because he destroys all the forests to make all this city shit.

Remember that revan disapears into the unknown regions to seek out the threat he discovered before the Jedi Civil War.

Obviously there was third game in development before it got cancelled for the MMO. There was a bigger story that culminated the True Sith and Revan's motives for keeping the republic at war.

eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-31-fear-is-the-path-to-the-dark-side

I dont know how good of a story it would have been, but the KotoR story doesn't end with 2. It wasn't supposed be Naga Sadow's Sith empire that resurged either, that was done for the MMO. The True Sith were supposed to be some more acient and alien - maybe the Dark Side exiles that lost the Force Wars - equiped with ancient knowledge that made Darth Nihilus and Sion so power - and Meetra. Unfortunately we'll never know what could have been.

That's why I have a 'KotoR III"

build wall

>Unfortunately we'll never know what could have been.
fuck

Why was it scrapped?

Yeah pretty much

>and it wasn't that great
Cube is Kafka Kino

Because EA bought out Bioware and its IP. They wanted to milk that bad boy so they made the abortion that is swtor with lots of things to buy...

Star wars ended the moment Disney owned the movies/TV and EA owned the games...