Daily Japanese Thread #1957

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread How does pic related make you feel - edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-Jh07K_j9gc
youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/119958/meaning/m0u/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wonder how many new kanji science will help us discover.

Looking at N3 kanji makes me feel comfortable. I know some of N2's but I'm overwhelmed by the sheer amount N1's. Although I have around early N3 grammar and N5 listening.

kanji are your friend

So I’ve been practicing basic grammar by trying to read various things, and this sentence has come up:

秋の訪れを告げる冷えた風に乗って, 背後から可愛らしい声がオレを呼び止める

I’m having some trouble following the first half, in particular how 「秋の訪れを告げる」relates to 「冷えた風に乗って」。

My understanding is that「秋の訪れを告げる」= “Tell of Autumn’s Visit”. And「冷えた風に乗る」= “Winds that grew cold rode in”. But I have no idea about the rules the govern how these two go together.

I can’t find the section in Tae Kim, or anywhere else, that would help me understand. If anyone could point to where I can go research this myself that would be a big help.

For shits and giggles, here’s my best guess translation of the whole thing for what it’s worth:

“The chill in the air tells of the coming Autumn, and I hear a lovely voice from behind that stops me in my tracks.”

Probably completely wrong. Also sorry if this is a long-winded question, this sentence has been bugging me for a week and I’d be grateful if I can put it to rest.

What does it mean if a kanji is classed as N1? Is there a section of JLPT that asks about specific on and kun readings? Not too familiar with the test. I see that 密 is in that section but 秘密 is quite a common word, right? Same with 詳 and 詳しい. 僕 is in there too, that's one of the first words most people learn.

訪れ means "advent" or "arrival" here, 告げる is like "announce", and 風に乗って is describing 声.
>The charming voice riding upon the chilly wind, heralding the beginning of fall, stops me in my tracks from behind.
Really stiff translation, but I think it gets the idea across.

>風に乗って is describing 声
Does it? I thought the って was joining two separate sentences, similar to 'and'. You definitely know more than me, I only question because the context is the protagonist walking down a school hallway and a girl asks for his attention.
It still definitely means I have a lot to learn, is this covered in Tae Kim anywhere?

I'm reading it the same way as america-kun

I think the sentence got constructed this way for stylish reasons, but there are still two actions here, "riding" and "stopping", which share 声が as the subject of the sentence
so they are still connected if you want, but less obviously

you could just rearrange the sentence like
背後から可愛らしい声が秋の訪れを告げる冷えた風に乗って, オレを呼び止める

The subject doesn't need to be at the beginning of the sentence (声), and the te-form of 乗る is as you said: functioning as a connector, but that doesn't mean the subject changes.
>It still definitely means I have a lot to learn, is this covered in Tae Kim anywhere?
Read more, grammar books are just the stepping stone.

Thanks anons, that rearrangement really helped me understand what was going on.
I guess if this much is throwing me through a loop, the source material is a bit above my weight class, I'll try getting better at reading easier stuff before I get ahead of myself.
Thanks again.

np

>the source material is a bit above my weight class
it's up to you of course, but personally I think you learn the most when it still feels a bit too hard

what are you reading btw?

A Visual novel called 'Sanoba Witch'.
And normally I'd agree with you on the subject of challenging myself to improve, but when I get stuck like that on only the third line of text in a 30-50 hour story, I think I need a bit more prep work.

Nah lad, you're doing good. It's only natural for the exposition of a story to be wordy, complex, and/or full of detail; gotta grab the readers attention after all, right? Besides, there was only one part in that sentence you were confused with and now you know it, that's pretty much what the whole i+1 extensive reading things is about.

Thanks my dude, I think I'll struggle through it and see how much I learn. [spoiler]After I take care of all the other shit I've been putting off to learn Jap[/spoiler]

The chart only has around 2200 kanji. I have over 3400 and it's still not enough. Give up while you can!

Chinese is my Mother tongue. Any tips for learning Japanese? I heard being articulate in chinese gives some advantage.

Do you recognize any of the squiggly shapes? If so, you're lightyears ahead of the rest of us.

I can recognize most of the N1 kanji but I probably don't even know half of the N1 grammar points, which just reminds me that "kanji is the only hard part of japanese" is an utter meme

I know the meanings of all the kanjis, but the nips pronounce the characters differently from the chinks. All I need to know is how to pronounce the characters.

>All I need to know is how to pronounce the characters.
god damn I hate you

The sort of advantage where 25% of your sentences sound like straight up Chinese and you say ぴくり instead of びっくり and then I stop watching because fuck following a political discussion in Chinese-accented Japanese.

Never give up!!!
>youtube.com/watch?v=-Jh07K_j9gc

糞 thread

Yeah, I can recognise all the N1 kanji too but it's learning vocab that's the hard part. I don't know why kanji and vocab textbooks are separate things. Once your brain is used to seeing kanji in general, what is there in particular to learn that you don't get just from learning words? I did RtK Book 1 when I first started but I can't remember half of the keywords it teaches. A condensed version of this method that covers just generally how kanji are made up of different components would be perfect - no more needs to be done after that. Meanings and readings are built up over time through learning words.

ネーヴァ ギヴ アップ!!

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

The wise words of clamfishing sensei always cheer me up when I've had a bad day, like today when I was lazy and played videogames instead of doing the things I wanted to do. Tomorrow I will try again!

漢字なんて超簡単なのに何でそんなに悩むんだ?みんなは
一部の難しい漢字を除いて悩みの種になるほど難解なものじゃないのに

かんじなんてかりもののぶんかにすぎないんだからはやくはいししようよ

I can't type からい(辛い)when typing it out in IME but I can get the character when I type other readings of it.

Any idea why?

かんじがないとすごくよみづらいです

Guy finishes thoroughly fucking two girls and says "エガった, エガった!". What did he mean by this?

It's ヤリチン speak or whatever. Help me out bros.

kimono kimono kimono, kimono kimono. kimono? kimono kimono!

>see a word
>remember how to read the kanji
>remember what it means
>can't place what the word is English, but still know what the word means

Is this normal for learning a language? The only language I speak is English. Sometimes though I'll come across a word, let's say 駅 for example, and I'll know how it's pronounced, and in my head I'll imagine a little train station and be like "yep that's what this means." But for whatever reason at the time I just won't be able to make the connection that "駅" = "train station."

This can't be normal, right? I'm pretty sure I don't have any learning disabilities. And yet sometimes I just can't make the connections between words even if I know what each word in each language individually means.

Please respond. All I get is either 描くor絵 both which make no sense in context

We don't store words on their own, but in a network of relations (similarities, contrasts, associations, comparisons, ...) = semantic memory.

Knowing a word isn't a binary state, some words are more associated/closely linked than others, but unless you can explain what a word means, can call up its associations, you don't really 'know' it yet.

I have a question about the use of "すます" in the following passage.

午前一時十分、男たちはみな、カツオが船倉に投げ込まれるように、タクシーの後部座席へと頭から押し込まれた。掃除と洗い物をすませたバーテンダーは、たばこを一本だけ吸い、毎晩一時半二、看板の灯りを消した。

>At ten past one, the men would all be shoved headfirst into the taxis' backseats, like bonito being tossed into the hold. When the bartender had cleaned the place and finished washing up, he would smoke a lone cigarette, and then, every night at one-thirty, he would switch off the light in the sign.

My question is: why did the author write すませた instead of just すました? I am guessing that they used the potential form of sumasu to imply that the bartender was able to finish cleaning up because the men had been tossed into taxis and sent home (a nuance that doesn't appear in the official translation I posted above). It would be great if someone more knowledgeable could confirm or correct my reading of it, though.

oops, I made a typo in the Japanese passage.

>毎晩一時半二
should be
>毎晩一時半に

dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/119958/meaning/m0u/

I'm starting to understand the japanese with paris syndrome
I'm watching some jdrama right now and some white and black dude as background characters show up and I think something like "wtf, gtfo of my fantasy land!!"

ugh, rused again

where's that excerpt from anyway

"Where the bowling pins stand" by Ishii Shinji

That's probably better than knowing the one-to-one translation for every word.

True fluency is associating the meaning of a word with the concept that it represents in that language, rather than what that word means in your own language.

That happens to me a lot in Anki, where I know what it is in image or in my native tongue but getting a blank in english. If that's the case, that's [Good] enough for me.

>Looking at a list of 国字
>see kanji for stuff like sardine, sandfish, codfish, etc.
Makes sense, maybe those species can be found in Japan but not China or something
>畑 and 働 are also on there
Were the Chinese lazy anti-gardeners or something?

No idea about the specifics but probably the same way kanji is introduced to Japanese grade school students. Complexity of strokes play some part but more importantly, complexity of concept the kanji character bears more to the order of "difficulty".

This is a fun game, you should download it.

Nice little quiz with various question about readings, meanings, stroke order, number of strokes, etc.

>stroke order, number of strokes

>tfw picking up a book for the first time in half a year
it hurts

on that note, how's it been? has anything new happened lately?

same old I guess

what were you doing the last half year btw

i guessed as much. i wondered if sakura might've returned or something
>what were you doing the last half year btw
busy with school and work, basically