The Thing received nominations from the Academy of Science Fiction...

>The Thing received nominations from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films for Best Horror Film and Best Special Effects, but lost to Poltergeist and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, respectively. The film was nominated in the Razzie Awards for Worst Musical Score.

Why exactly was the early 80s filled with 100% plebs?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AJpJXSR9_Sk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>The film was nominated in the Razzie Awards for Worst Musical Score

How is this even possible ? The score is simplistic but it fits the movie so well.

The Shining was also nominated for a Razzie

>ET
>better effects

wat

I like the Thing and all but let's be honest here, ET is a better movie.

>Blade Runner was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects and the Academy Award for Best Production Design
>E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial won Best Visual Effects
>Gandhi won Best Production Design
I know the academy awards are a joke but this still pisses me off. Blade Runner got a lot of shit back in 1982 but everyone has always admired the special effects and production design but the academy didn't care about Blade Runner so they instead voted for the most popular films. The animatronics and other special effects in E.T. are very good and Gandhi's production design is well crafted and historically accurate but neither come close to what Blade Runner did.

Nobody gave a fuck about this movie until the video game came out

If that was true then they wouldn't have bothered making the video game. Think before you post, user.

I saw this movie before the game came out tho

The awards in cinema seem very watered down and all about politics and subjectivity and less about raw performance. The most popular movie should be able to run/win every year

I could be wrong but I think The Thing has been steadily building a fanbase ever since it was released on VHS. In the early 90s Dark Horse made some The Thing comics and a couple of years before the video game came out McFarlane Toys made some action figures.

That's why Dances with Wolves and Titanic won any awards

Get the fuck outta Sup Forums Spielberg, you dirty heeb!

I love the soundtrack but some songs on it are trash

E.T. was released like 2 weeks before The Thing. General audiences didn't want murder aliens, they wanted friendly sympathetic ones.

The marketing team at the time probably didn't know what the fuck to do with it.

Some parts of the score are a bit too simplistic and repetitive to be enjoyed on their own but every bit of the score perfectly fits the film. It's retarded that it got nominated for a Razzie, I'm sure there were countless film scores in 1982 that were worse.

I hate Steven Spielberg!

*watched Jurassic Park religiously*

The Thing and Blade Runner opened on the same year, on the same weekend.

And most plebs went to watch ET.

Fuck that piece of shit and fuck Spielberg.

the Razzies are a fucking joke, how many times are they allowed to be wrong yet they still are treated as some authority and are mentioned in wikipedia articles on movies

>soundtrack nominated for razzie
>decades later, ennui morricone includes some unused tracks from the thing in the hateful 8 soundtrack
>hateful 8 soundtrack wins an Oscar
Wtf

To this day, the "Razzies" exist as a way to publicly insult and financially damage anyone that doesn't toe the liberal and jewish groupthink that is handed down by the studios.

I didn't even know there was a The Thing video game. I'm going to google it, it better not be shit either.

>The film was nominated in the Razzie Awards for Worst Musical Score.
How in the fuck?

But if you dont like them its all your opinion. Performance wise though, isn't

if the movies made more money than anything else on their respective years so there's merit of making the public watch them. Also having the same movies run every year will also test their popularity because its not like a movie will stop existing after their release year

a formula for evaluating movies like a required level of popularity reached and calculating number of sets used, quality of sets, variety of sets, all of these elements should add points for the final result without memes compromising the whole thing

That's because the early 80s was filled with masterpiece, not The thing fault

No, it's just some memers having a laugh. The only time they blatantly went full "OY VEY, BAD GOYIM!" is when they gave tons of awards to Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party.

No.

Most institutes (of any kind) seem to award new technologies/techniques for the sake of innovation when it comes to special effects and such. It isn't really a pleb thing, they just focus on other stuff.

Poltergeist is a good as The Thing when it comes to Horror movies, so I'm not bothered by that.

The Razzie thing, well, those guys are indeed plebs.

I'm starting to think we're overrating The Thing.

>I'm starting to think we're overrating The Thing.

It was held back severely due to the technology they had available at the time, but it's fun game if you like all the references to the movie.

>Most institutes (of any kind) seem to award new technologies/techniques for the sake of innovation when it comes to special effects and such. It isn't really a pleb thing, they just focus on other stuff.
But The Thing's special effects were far more innovative than E.T.'s special effects.

B-but user! Flying bikes!!

It's 100% garbage.

>Have all these methods of calming people down and determining if they're the thing
>Can give them weapons, comfort them, do a blood test, etc, etc
>No matter what, all your followers will turn into Things the second you hit an invisible checkpoint

>box office money is all that matters

Then the last oscars should'e been between Civil War, Rogue One, Finding Dory, Zootopia and The Jungle Book.

not even close, what makes you think this?

I agree. Even tho The Thing is great.

The razzies have always been unadulterated shit.

I want to see the look on your face when your life is snuffed out.

no problems with that. Even though money is only one component of the long life success of a film.

But because moviemaking isn't a sport or follows a determined formula and the existing competition is all about the jobs revolving it is much difficult to analyse it and make awards results more objective.

But by making all movies eligible every year we can have great films that didnt win on their release year having other chances to win every year...put a 100M grossings requirement and done

This is bait right?

ooga nooga

I love The Thing but E.T. is uniroincally the single best film to have been released during the 1980s. So it's fair to say that The Thing was up against some stiff competition.

Why the fuck did they release a winter Antartica horror in fucking JUNE?

It was a hot summer, they wanted it to chill out a bit.

Poltergeist is better than both

The Thing > Poltergeist > E.T.

Blade Runner had a notoriously terrible theatrical release, though.

It's like when people get mad over the mixed critical reception for Once Upon a Time in America. You're forgetting that the version everyone saw at that time was a big load of shit and we only got the good version later.

Just watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=AJpJXSR9_Sk

I like ET, but fuck no.

Everyone starts out with Halloween and moves on to other Carpenter kino. That's how it's always worked.

>Watch The Thing for the first tie
>Loved it
>Friends tell me Alien is kind of like it but better
>Watch Alien
>Not a patch on The Thing

??